rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

One Way Ticket To Mars

One Way Ticket To Mars

Mars One is looking for volunteers to go to Mars. Only problem is, you only get a one way ticket. Basically, they plan on building a little village and you have to spend the rest of your days on Mars. That's a pretty huge commitment. What are your guys thoughts on this? I'm thinking by the time they put the whole project together, they will have the means to bring these people back home. You think your 15 hour flight is bad? How about a 7 month flight? I'll be waiting for the data sheet.

Here's some more info....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/...-mars.html

They're saying they already have 8000 people willing to go. The crew has to go through 8 years of training. Crazy stuff.

One Way Ticket To Mars

Talk about total immersion. Damn!

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

One Way Ticket To Mars

Amazing, but this video gives me a feeling that its fake, who knows though.

Anyways, good luck getting your flag there! [Image: lol.gif]

One Way Ticket To Mars

Now I have a link to give the next person who rehashes the "I don't want to live on this Earth anymore" line.

One Way Ticket To Mars

Quote: (03-21-2013 12:48 AM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Amazing, but this video gives me a feeling that its fake, who knows though.

Anyways, good luck getting your flag there! [Image: lol.gif]

Pretty sure it's 100% legit. Here's more info on it from wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_One

Speaking of flag. Even if a girl was born in Michigan, but she now lives in Mars, do you technically get a Martian flag? [Image: lol.gif]

One Way Ticket To Mars

They're also making a reality show once the astronauts are up there. They are hoping it will help with the funding. Imagine being stuck with only the same 4-20 (The project starts with 4 people the first year, then every 2 years they plan on adding 4 more people) people for the rest of your life. Banging only the same (or hopefully a couple of the same) women your whole life. And I would imagine the girls willing to do this probably won't be the most desirable. Even if, what if it's 3 guys 1 girl? You think she would just slut it up between the 3 of them, or would the alpha just keep her to himself?

Another thing I was wondering about, how the hell are they going to get all the water they need? Think they'll use the ice cap on mars?

One Way Ticket To Mars

I'd be down. Send a pregnant chick up there and in *18 years ill be the first man to have an intergalactic space notch.

One Way Ticket To Mars

Quote: (03-21-2013 01:00 AM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

Speaking of flag. Even if a girl was born in Michigan, but she now lives in Mars, do you technically get a Martian flag? [Image: lol.gif]

No thats not a martian flag, but any person (girl) born on mars would technically be considered a martian and therefore a new flag opportunity. [Image: lol.gif]

Girls should be an ornament to the eye, not an ache in the ear.

One Way Ticket To Mars

I'm interested. Provided I can bring with me a hot sweet and feminine girl. I'm seriously interested. Is anyone else in here interested? This will be one unique and extraordinary journey! And what a way to go! Just wow!

One Way Ticket To Mars

VP, are you really serious? You'd be interested in taking a one way trip to Mars?? You'd basically be like an animal living in a cage for the rest of your life. With the caveat of a camera watching your every move.

Just the fact that you'd never see a blue sky ever again or breathe fresh air or see grass and trees or an ocean is the most depressing thought I can imagine.

One Way Ticket To Mars

SP,
Yeah why not? Given the way things are going in the world and the world slowly going towards a cataclysmic world world III where everything and everyone is going to be wiped up. I'm definitely not looking forward to living in a world a la Mad Max! At least in Space, I'd be among the first humans in History to do something absolutely inimaginable not long ago. I've always been fascinated by Space, Stars, Galaxies and Astronomy in general, which have been by far, my favorite topics for ever I can remember. As a matter of fact, my dream as a kid was to become an astronaut. So to me, that would be a truly fascinating adventure.

Probably the only "adventure" that would come close to this in terms of sheer fascination and total uniqueness would be to talk to someone dead and hearing their experience as to what it is like once your eyes close and your heart stops beating for the last time. And what happens after that. Where do we go after that? These are the only types of experiences IMO worth putting your life on the line for.

Btw, on a not so rethorical note, aren't we already like animals living in a cage, with the whole world watching our every moves?

One Way Ticket To Mars

I especially feel like the whole reality TV part of it really ruins it. Instead of being looked at as a hero, you'd be looked at as a zoo animal like all these other wash ups on reality TV. Sure, you'd still be looked at as a hero in ways I'm sure, but these people in the real world are living with a few other people for a couple months. Imagine living with the same people for years on end. Only being in contract with these people, not being able to escape. Imagine being stuck up there with someone you can't stand, for the rest of your life! This thing could get real ugly. Plus, will there be anyone moderating this? This is a pretty wild idea. I'm interested to see how it's going to pan out.

It would be awesome to go for a month, but your whole life, I'm too young for that. If I was 75 and had felt totally fulfilled with my life and travel, then I would consider, but damn, what a commitment. I have respect for anyone who would do this though. It is truly a huge sacrifice. Interesting stuff, I just hope they follow through with it.

One Way Ticket To Mars

Reminds me of the movie Moon. Great movie by the way.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

One Way Ticket To Mars

Quote: (03-21-2013 02:45 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

SP,
Yeah why not? Given the way things are going in the world and the world slowly going towards a cataclysmic world world III where everything and everyone is going to be wiped up. I'm definitely not looking forward to living in a world a la Mad Max! At least in Space, I'd be among the first humans in History to do something absolutely inimaginable not long ago. I've always been fascinated by Space, Stars, Galaxies and Astronomy in general, which have been by far, my favorite topics for ever I can remember. As a matter of fact, my dream as a kid was to become an astronaut. So to me, that would be a truly fascinating adventure.

Probably the only "adventure" that would come close to this in terms of sheer fascination and total uniqueness would be to talk to someone dead and hearing their experience as to what it is like once your eyes close and your heart stops beating for the last time. And what happens after that. Where do we go after that? These are the only types of experiences IMO worth putting your life on the line for.

Btw, on a not so rethorical note, aren't we already like animals living in a cage, with the whole world watching our every moves?

Well if that WWIII cataclysm happens on Earth, who exactly is going to send off your regular shipments of food and water? [Image: dodgy.gif]

I think everyone on this colony would end up killing each other. It would be quite a show to watch but I can't imagine what type of person would sign up for this.

Imagine this being the only view you see out the window for the rest of your life. Bleak.

[Image: mars.gif]

One Way Ticket To Mars

It's a job for bitter nihilistic nerd betas who gave up this world. It can serve as a rationalization mechanism for their inability to get pussy, and also as a hope to be someone special and famous.

One Way Ticket To Mars

And when you look out the other window you see this view

[Image: attachment.jpg10605]   

Not to mention the unknown effects of less gravity than earth. Still for all of human history you would be known as part of the first outer world colony. Your names would remain long after your dead.

Girls should be an ornament to the eye, not an ache in the ear.

One Way Ticket To Mars

Quote: (03-21-2013 03:43 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

I think everyone on this colony would end up killing each other. It would be quite a show to watch but I can't imagine what type of person would sign up for this.

I was thinking this too. I just vision some crazy science fiction movie where everyone ends up turning on each other in space (Wasn't that Apollo 11?). But to be honest, I bet there are some people that are truly interested with a good head on their shoulders who are just simply interested in science and astronomy. VP seems like a well rounded man with a good head on his shoulders, and he's interested. IDK though, it's a gamble. At least you have 8 years of training with the people you would be surrounded with to find out if you really want to do it. I see a couple of the people backing out half way through.

What a crazy fucking idea though. Like you said, if some crazy shit does go down and they start killing each other off, there wouldn't even be anybody to moderate. I could see it getting real ugly, especially being put on TV like an animal the whole time you're up there. Crazy stuff man.

One Way Ticket To Mars

I predict a suicide early on and the project being cancelled.

What I the company goes bankrupt? Who will send them their supplies? Will anyone even be able to bring them back to earth? If the project goes bankrupt with only 4 people there you could potentially have to spend the rest of your life with only 3 other people.

Horrible idea.

One Way Ticket To Mars

Quote: (03-21-2013 04:29 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

What I the company goes bankrupt? Who will send them their supplies? Will anyone even be able to bring them back to earth? If the project goes bankrupt with only 4 people there you could potentially have to spend the rest of your life with only 3 other people.

Horrible idea.

Well they have many sponsors, the list is on Wiki, and I don't see the reality show failing. It should be pretty amusing and enlightening at the same time. It's already stated that they will not be brought back to earth. This is what the people are signing up for. They are agreeing to spend the rest of their days on mars and essentially dying there. I definitely feel if these people are willing to go all the way to Mars, somebody is going to send them supplies, even if the company goes bankrupt and all the sponsors pull out, which I find unlikely, somebody is going to chip in. I don't see us just saying, "Well, looks like these worthless dirt bags on Mars don't have any more sponsors, looks like they're going to starve." I think if it came down to it, even the US government or EU would send them supplies. I do however see candidates dropping out before the 8 years is up, which could be problematic for the company if they are really requiring a full 8 years of training. I think the best way to do it would be train a big group of people, say 200, and send the most committed and progressive of the bunch out first. In those 8 years you would probably weed many of the 200 out. Put the others on stand by for the next mission in 2 years, and choose the best 4 candidates for that mission and so on. I'm sure they have it pretty well planned out. The people involved are probably pretty intelligent. They had to have put a lot of thought into it to invest so much money in the plan. Like they said, they already have 8000 people willing to go. I'm sure of those 8000 only a fraction are worthy candidates, but even so, if you only have 200 that are worth sending up, and half of them drop out within those 8 years, you still have 100 candidates.

One Way Ticket To Mars

I went to a lecture given by the founders of this project last year. I was sceptical too at first, especially when I heard about the reality show, but believe me this thing is real. They have a team of scientists including a noble prize winner, its not just some stunt. The TV thing is mainly because they see it as the only way to be able to finance the project. Apparantely there are loads of people signing up already but ofcourse they're really strict. The candidates will first have to live completely isolated on the southpole for a few months to test if they will be able to leave all of their normal lifes behind.

One Way Ticket To Mars

I wouldn't personally sign up, but it's a fantastic idea. There's nothing immoral about sending some people aware of the limitations there.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

One Way Ticket To Mars

If I could get back to earth I'd get laid so much in America.

Fame game!

One Way Ticket To Mars

Quote: (03-21-2013 04:29 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Imagine if someone posed as an eager volunteer for this and then [Image: troll.gif] ed the entire mission by killing himself after the launch [Image: lol.gif]

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

One Way Ticket To Mars

Quote: (03-21-2013 03:43 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Well if that WWIII cataclysm happens on Earth, who exactly is going to send off your regular shipments of food and water? [Image: dodgy.gif]

Any colony on Mars would have to be self sufficient, that means they'd be growing their own food, recycling their own water and air. New building material would have to be procured on site. So, in theory, in case of some cataclismic World War, a colony on Mars wouldn't have to worry about starving to death. Only problem would be you'd have a hard time avoiding inbreeding after a couple generations with just 4-20 inhabitants.

One Way Ticket To Mars

This is the team that's sending you to Mars:

http://mars-one.com/en/about-mars-one/team

Notice that there is not one single aeronautical engineer on their team. You would be entrusting your life to an astrophysicist, a doctor, an entrepreneur (who's built wind turbines), a finance guy, a concept artist, and two marketing chicks. There is no one on this team that actually has any relevant experience of how to build a spaceship or space colony.