rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

When The Search Is Finally Over

Well it's taken a long time,a lot longer then I ever thought it would but finally the never ending search is over. For years I have been asking myself the question; where does my future lie? I joined this forum in large part to find that answer,to get opinions on different locations. The problem was that in reality this place and the reams of information confused me more then anything. I'd read a report about Poland and think that I had to go check it out,then I'd read about someone having a great time in Lviv and decide that I had to investigate if that should be my next destination. And on and on and on it went...Too much choice can be a paralysing thing.

I have known intrinsically and instinctively from a young age that I am not and never could be absolutely happy in my own country. Since the age of 18 when I took my first solo trip I have tried to be out of my own country as much as possible. It has without a doubt held me back in life in terms of relationships and financial/career. It's impossible to commit to anything or anyone when you have this constant feeling of impermanence in your own country. Why try to push for promotion when you know it's only a matter of time before you jack the job in to go exploring for your Arcadia again? Of course whilst the search has been bad for my career or finances it has been great for my life experiences. The search has taken me to long stints in fascinating countries and shorter explorations to a whole host of fascinating places. Experiences I would never swap for anything but ultimately my search proved fruitless. Sometimes I tried to force the issue,convincing myself that a certain place was right for me,that I loved it there and was content but the reality was I was not being 100% honest with myself. I was trying to convince myself in large part because it would have been an easy move or maybe a cheap one. But that lack of honesty always meant that eventually the same question would come back to the fore.

Anyway sometimes it's not the place but you. Visit a place at 18 and it might be perfect in every way,but do so at 30 and it might be a whole different kettle of fish and vice versa. You need the stars to align somewhat. Well the stars did align for me on a recent trip to Russia. Everything I had done in my life,everything that had shaped me in some way came together on this trip to mean that finally myself and Russia,or should I say it's people,just clicked,completely and utterly in a way they never have done before. It felt so easy and comfortable. You know how it is when you are out on the town and in the zone,when you can do no wrong no matter what you do or say,well that was my week in Russia. It all came together for me with the people I met,I've never experienced anything like it before anywhere. I just found that I had 'the vibe' and people responded to me in the most positive way imaginable and for the first time ever I knew this was it. I remember the moment I realised that the search was over. I had an hour to kill before meeting a friend and I sat on a bench outside of Chisty Prudy metro station. The sky was perfectly blue,women were walking past in their fur coats, and I just knew at that moment that there was nowhere else I would rather be than right there in that city,in that country. I had never felt so content. Russia,a place that has been staring me from afar for all my adult life finally revealed herself to me.

So many things happened on that trip that if I chose to interpret them a certain way could be seen to be a test,a final set of cosmic kicks and punches to see if I was really ready for it,if I had the steel required for the place,if I wanted it badly enough. If I overcame those tests I would unlock the gates to the kingdom much like in ancient times when the student would sit outside his masters house for weeks hoping to prove his worth. I passed those tests and proved to myself as much as anyone that I could tame Russia to my own will and so on a cold February day whilst sitting on that bench at Chisty Prudy I was finally allowed in.

This is not the end of my story but merely the beginning. The hard work begins now. I have to throw myself into the challenge of mastering the language,of finding a way to make a living there,of deciding which city to live in,of negotiating the Byzantine red tape. However for the first time ever I won't be doing so with the constant nagging self doubt about whether it's what I really want to do or if it's where I really want to be. I am now unshakable in my belief that I have found the place I was always destined to be when the time was right. That time has come. Roosh made a video post recently that struck a cord with me. It was about finding your place and then holding onto it for as long as possible,riding the highs until they,possibly,one day run out. In 1993 I discovered Russia,loved it,knew we were connected but then made the biggest regret of my life by heading to India for four years. This time I won't make the same mistake. I'm going shit or bust on Russia. And I can't tell you what a relief it is to have a clear vision of my future. No more confusion or wondering if I should go to Minsk or Kiev,Krakow or Tbilisi. I don't care if I read a report about someone killing it in Tirana or Timbuktu,I've found my place.

Something else I discovered was that I had a great time in Moscow,I won't share my experiences just now but needless to say it flew in the face of my predictions about big cities versus second tier. The big cities are where it's at. Moscow,Peter,Novosibirsk,Krasnoyarsk,Ekaterinburg....These places will hold everything,and more,for me.

A large reason for this post is because I want to thank some of the FSU posters on here who have shared knowledge that I have imbibed,much of it subconsciously,and that has helped me finally click with the people there in a way I never have with any other race,even my own,in fact,especially my own. Whilst I might not agree with everything these posters have written they have non the less taught me a lot about Slavic culture that has been very helpful. Any such list will always have glaring omissions of people I have momentarily forgotten and names will no doubt spring to mind as soon as this is posted but as I write, these names stand out for me in no particular order: Roosh for the 'Industrial Shit Hole' thread,Entropy 4 for the St.Pete sheet,Hooligan Harry for his constant insights throughout the FSU debates,K-Man for his opinions on Russian girls and their behaviour on holiday,Greek Kamaki for his constant good work and insightful opinions on locations,BigAlexBoss for his honest reports of his successes and failures,Lost Gringo for his Georgia work,Iknowexactly for his work in Lviv,Temujin for his 'insights from 11 years abroad' thread and other work and Partizan for the E'burg thread and our Skype chats. Also,I know he was banned but I have to shout out Wolverine. Everything he broke down to me in Kiev and by PM was proved 100% correct when I hit Russia. Although I can't repay you guys I hope that some of my work on here has maybe added a little bit to your knowledge and will prove useful at some point in the future.

There is not much more to add really. I think we are all searching for our place and the fun is in searching as much as anything,to have found it too early would have meant missing out on some of my most informative experiences. As I said,now the hard work begins. My life from now on shall be inexorably linked to Russia in some way. It's exciting to not know how exactly. I can see a thousand paths leading off into the forest and I have no idea which one I shall end up following. I have the feeling it's going to be a crazy ride!

Vorkuta

I'm really happy for you. [Image: grouphug.gif]

Your post put a smile on my face, because I know this will also happen to me a lot of guys who are on the board. In the end we're just trying to find a country, a lifestyle, and a girl that clicks with us. It can be done.

Inspiring post, put a smile on my face, but also a little sad for me. Some of us are still trying to get out of the trapping place we live in.

I'm glad you found your place man, hold on to it.

Here here Vorkuta. Moscow blew my mind so I know from experience you can't go wrong there. My desire to go back is like a constant burning ember in my stomach. Unfortunately it's also a burning hole in my pocket. St Petersburg has me excited.
Solid post though... I hope I arrive in a place I know I belong one day. I'm getting close.

Great post.

I am sincerely happy for you.

Quote: (02-19-2013 03:10 PM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

Well it's taken a long time,a lot longer then I ever thought it would but finally the never ending search is over. For years I have been asking myself the question; where does my future lie? I joined this forum in large part to find that answer,to get opinions on different locations. The problem was that in reality this place and the reams of information confused me more then anything. I'd read a report about Poland and think that I had to go check it out,then I'd read about someone having a great time in Lviv and decide that I had to investigate if that should be my next destination. And on and on and on it went...Too much choice can be a paralysing thing.

This part really rings true to me.

I still need to travel, but I am pretty sure I have found my place, well, two places I want to spend time.

I have been in this place since October and haven't had any desire to leave; I never feel like that. In fact, I am just scratching the surface.

My two places couldn't be more different than yours, and that is the beauty of it.

My Godfather gave me the best advice I ever got when I was 18 years old, which I never really used till now, he said:

"Think about what you really want in life. Where you want to be. Who you want to be. What you want your life to consist of. Write it down. Then go there. Be that person. Get those things. Don't let anyone get in your way."

He was a master at the simplest, most effective advice I have ever received.

I never actually did that exercise until recently. (My advice is for you guys to do this as soon as you can, and don't be a procrastinator like me).

Now I understand.

Well in lad, made up for you.

Vorkuta - you are not leaving us are you! [Image: sad.gif]

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

This is a very compelling post Vorkuta, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts, your search and your achievement.

I can personally relate to a lot of what you say after a long journey in 30+ countries which took more than half of my life and turned it into a very rich experience.

Also, if I wouldn't have laid anchor in Brazil, the FSU or Russia could have become my "ultimate" destination. My guess is that we're looking for a certain essence that we can naturally relate to and that we sort of feel flowing through our veins. It's perhaps about being alive on a different level. But that's something indeed hard to describe rationally or to put on a chart of figures and good reasons. You have to go in person, have the guts, and figure it out yourself.

It's indeed funny how countries can stare at you from a distance...Here, on the opposite side of the world, I was invited for a symbolic position in some Russian organization, which I gladly took at the time in exchange just for their parties and receptions. Russians keep popping up somehow and there is this cute belarussian teacher who offers to give me classes but somehow I keep postponing it (just the classes he he), because perhaps my subconscious tells me that if I go, it would be for more than just a ravishing vacation and I have a lot of business to attend here for the moment.

There was, on the sidelines, some fearmongering such as being "dark" looking in Russia (this would affect me for instance), the country's problems, corruption, xenophobia, violence etc etc.

But the thing is, if you know a place feels right for you, you just go and make it happen no matter what. I made it in Brazil despite zillions of obstacles and you, Vorkuta, will make it in Russia too because you know you will. It's as simple as that. You'll be amazed at how much resourcefulness and strenght you will have and how many contacts and opportunities you will create just because you're a man with a mission and without doubts, who won't give up and who wants to live life in full force using the best of his charms and talents.

I don't have to wish you good luck because I know you will find a way to make it happen sooner or later. I'll toast instead! Congratulations!

Just keep us posted, stay warm during winter, and help enrich even more this forum which, indeed, is a true and quite unique goldmine of intel and impressions about the region.

Good luck!

I don't think there is one country that is constantly perfect or can be regarded as top destination for a period over 2-3 years.Situations change rapidly.

Inspiring post Vorkuta and I am sincerely happy for you my friend. Reading your posts, it was obvious from the start that your heart and shall we say, passion, laid in Russia more than any where else on this planet. Sometimes, it's during the simplest moments that we get profound and life altering revelations by our subconscious that reveal our paths, destiny, mission or whatever one might want to call it, to us. You've got yours sitting on that bench, on that cold day in that Christy Prudy metro station. Now go out there and make the best of it. I know you will and on that note, I will join Locksmith in his toast: "Congratulations!".

Thanks for the post G, I'm adding that quote to my signature.

That was indeed a true G-esque advice/quote G!

Cheers!

Quote: (02-19-2013 07:35 PM)FretDancer Wrote:  

Thanks for the post G, I'm adding that quote to my signature.

Nice.

Give credit to my Godfather.

He kicked me down a lot of knowledge.

Vorkuta, I feel the same way about Russia and the FSU. Russia feels like home to me. I can't wait to go back there and really see if it is somewhere I can really live.

Quote: (02-19-2013 03:47 PM)gadabout Wrote:  

Here here Vorkuta. Moscow blew my mind so I know from experience you can't go wrong there. My desire to go back is like a constant burning ember in my stomach. Unfortunately it's also a burning hole in my pocket. St Petersburg has me excited.

Yes Moscow blew me away too. I'd always kind of presumed that it's residents would be cold and arrogant but I have to say the chicks there were the friendliest I've come across,very easy to approach and talk to. Since you've been yourself you will know just how much a well turned out guy gets 'eye-banged' there,it was unreal. Everywhere I went I met the most attractive yet down to earth girls.

Maybe I should put this into a Moscow thread but a few asides about my time there:

Something amusing that sums up the attitude there: I was in a restaurant with a girl I met in Moscow,her English was not perfect. She was highly intelligent and runs her own business. She said "is it true that in your country men do the,you know the...." and she mimed someone ironing. I nodded yes and she laughed,"what about the" she mimed the hoovering. I nodded again and she said "it's ridiculous,what do the women do there?". I broke down why I have no time for British girls and she said that in Russia it was the opposite. Women took great pleasure in taking care of their men,they want a man above all who makes them feel safe,a strong man. The man's job is to take care of the safety of the home and family and the women make sure the men and children are looked after in the home. "If my man did the washing up I would think he is a gay" she said. I chuckled inside and considered buying a ring.

The great thing about Russia is this; you are constantly surrounded by beautiful feminine women,everywhere you go. Ask yourselves honestly when was the last time you came across a super attractive,feminine and interesting woman in your daily business ( not in a club etc. )? Personally I rarely do. However in Russia they are everywhere. I went to the police station and the detective was stunning,I went to the book shop and the girl working there was the same,the waitress,the girl in the visa office,the girls working in the ministry where I got my exit visa etc. etc. And guess what,they are intrigued by the well turned out foreigner. They might not all want to date you but they were pretty much all inquisitive and genuinely wanting to know more about you,happy to make your acquaintance. You know the great thing about being in Russia? You feel yourself as a desirable man again. After years of being made to feel like a creep for approaching a girl at home or that doing so was weird or passive aggressive it was like a weight being removed to be in a country where the women welcomed your approach as a chance to meet someone new. There is nothing 'creepy' about a man complimenting a woman in Russia,they like to hear it. There is nothing wrong with holding a door open or helping a girl remove her jacket in a restaurant,they appreciate it. It's the way they believe men and women should interact. You still see guys kissing women's hand's in Russia. Women want to feel delicate and protected.

The other thing is that you are not judged by your looks there like in the West. You are judged by what you convey through personality,stance,dress etc. not whether or not you have a skrillex haircut and a cool sleeve. You are judged more by what you stand for. So for a guy like me who is late 30's and not exactly a model,well I can go out and compete with everyone on a level playing field knowing I will be judged by what I say when I open my mouth. I approached a lot there in 3 days and not once was I shot down before I said anything. Also the girls want older guys,women like a man to be 5-15 years older so again for a guy like me it was paradise.

2.5 days in Moscow; My statistics

Girl on plane from Vladikavkaz. Number close.
Ossetian girl getting exit visa for her boss in ministry. Number close.
Girl on metro laughing because she heard my Russian. Number close.
Girl on street who walked with me to Arbat. Number close.
Waitress in Ragout restaurant at birthday party. FB close
Waitress in pizza world restaurant by Smolenskay Metro. Number close.

Moscow is paradise 'IF' you speak some Russian. Of those girls only two spoke passable English. And all that was without any effort but just talking to girls who came into my orbit. This leads me to a dynamic I noticed in Russia. Women mention fate/serendipity/kismet a fair bit and are romantics. It's famous in Russia for couple's to meet on the bus or metro for the first time. It is seen as romantic,fate that they should meet. Therefore what I noticed was that when I did a cold approach randomly on the street I did not get much play but when a girl came into my orbit naturally,say standing next to me in a queue or serving me in a restaurant it went much better. Maybe they could tell themselves that they should explore things further because it might be fate for us to meet.

The downside of Moscow was the incredible expense. It is so easy to spend money there. Even a cake and coffee in a 'Coffee House' outlet came to not much short of $10. Add to that food,a place to stay and I was spending 150 Euros a day without thinking about it. Another expense is dating. Men pay. It's just the way it is,the problem is a couple of dates a day and you are dropping $$$ even by going to a cheap place like 'Yakatoria'. I never hit a club but I'm sure they are expensive too.

Therefore I will look further afield then Moscow. Russia definitely,Moscow,I doubt it. Peter might be good but most likely a Ural city or Siberia. I am now waiting for a new passport which will take 3 weeks then I will have another 2 weeks there all being well. I have an aching to get back there. I don't know what I will do long term but maybe enrol in a preparatory language programme in a provincial university for 6 months after the summer to get up to speed in Russian. This was the thing,I went to a birthday party of a French banker. It was full of people on the gravy train who had been in Russia 2,3 or more years. And not one of them spoke Russian to a serious level,they spoke worse then me and I am a shit speaker. If you can nail Russian to a relatively good level then there are companies looking for managerial potential. I had a banker ask me if I knew anyone to fill an IT position in his organisation. Get into the right circles and you will have a blast. I can barely send an email so that option is not for me but others could break in.

So yes,I am totally in on this one. Get proficient in Russian and then see what options open up. My 40's are going to be my best decade yet. Time to do as G's Godfather said...

Edit: Forgot to mention that I stumbled across the now sadly defunct 'Hungry Duck'. I'd read so much about it in 'The Exile' book and when I saw it it raised a smile imagining all the debauchery that took place in there. It was just in a regular office type building on a busy thoroughfare near the place you go for exit visas. Apparently the place to go in Moscow now is a bar called 'Papa's'. Never been but heard it's a meat market. I'll check it out next month.

Quote: (02-19-2013 04:29 PM)rudebwoy Wrote:  

Vorkuta - you are not leaving us are you! [Image: sad.gif]

No way mate! You're not getting rid of me that easily. I've got plenty more to learn here and will hopefully have a lot more to offer in the future. I might be spending less time on the travel threads but I'll certainly be on the RVF.

Nice, Vorkuta [Image: smile.gif]. Good to hear you've found somewhere to live, but has your lifelong search really been about somewhere for you to call home?. It's also interesting that you have settled on Moscow as I always though you were more of a Tier 3/4 Philanderer.

Did your decision have anything to do with Roosh's forthcoming TV appearance, you said that if he went ahead with it you would stop posting datasheets. Also does living in Russia mean that you will stop travelling overseas and banging women?.

When I first started reading your post I thought it was an "I just got married/engaged" thread, and after reading everything i'm still a little confused.

For work you can always make good dough teaching English, you should get some advice from English Teacher X hehe

Quote: (02-20-2013 08:06 AM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

This leads me to a dynamic I noticed in Russia. Women mention fate/serendipity/kismet a fair bit and are romantics. It's famous in Russia for couple's to meet on the bus or metro for the first time. It is seen as romantic,fate that they should meet. Therefore what I noticed was that when I did a cold approach randomly on the street I did not get much play but when a girl came into my orbit naturally,say standing next to me in a queue or serving me in a restaurant it went much better. Maybe they could tell themselves that they should explore things further because it might be fate for us to meet.

That's dope.

Quote:Quote:

The downside of Moscow was the incredible expense.

What's a cocktail run? In a cheap place? Expensive one?

Nice meal and wine?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I stumbled across the now sadly defunct 'Hungry Duck'. I'd read so much about it in 'The Exile' book and when I saw it it raised a smile imagining all the debauchery that took place in there. It was just in a regular office type building on a busy thoroughfare near the place you go for exit visas. Apparently the place to go in Moscow now is a bar called 'Papa's'. Never been but heard it's a meat market. I'll check it out next month.

Let us know how that place is for sure.

Vorkuta - Glad to know you will be with us still, after all you are the ambassador for Russia and FSU. So when is the big move?

Russia sounds like a magical place, almost a different universe compared to the Anglo-zone.

I wish you the very best of luck and can't wait for more Russia chronicles.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

On the Ukraine vs Russia subject. Half of the people I have met that have been to both say they prefer Russia, and the other half Ukraine. The biggest drawing card for Ukraine is the considerably lower cost of living, plus it's easier to get a visa.

The biggest problem for me in Russia is immigration, you have a lot of immigrants from the Caucasuses, these bastards have a knife culture, so you have to be very careful. Lots of Russians are carrying guns on the streets of Moscow so you have to be careful with them too. Ukraine is considerably safer, especially in the west.

I would choose Ukraine as a place to live over Russia, but that's just me

Sounds good Vorkuta. If I remember correctly you are British, but have Russian heritage. Sounds to me like a good combination to me. I've heard that Russian generally like the British (Well, the cultured Brits anyway), even if diplomatically the two countries aren't the best of friends.

What about teaching English initially while looking out for something more in your field?

Not that I'd likely move there, but I definitely have to get to Russia and EE. How are you coping with the cold? Coldest place I've ever been was Montreal in mid-winter, but I think Moscow is even colder than there.

[Image: 6nmEKw0.gif]

Better start learning to drive like this. (Russian dashcam)

great Vorkuta, I look forward to visiting. It's weird how I'm not even that old yet I feel how you feel about Zagreb.

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Quote: (02-20-2013 08:49 AM)Pierre Wrote:  

Nice, Vorkuta [Image: smile.gif]. Good to hear you've found somewhere to live, but has your lifelong search really been about somewhere for you to call home?. It's also interesting that you have settled on Moscow as I always though you were more of a Tier 3/4 Philanderer.

When I first started reading your post I thought it was an "I just got married/engaged" thread, and after reading everything i'm still a little confused.

I always thought that T3/4 was the best way to go to play on my foreignness, however when I hit Moscow I realised what a mistake that was. After years of hitting second and third tier it was eye opening to be in a first tier and find it so much easier,and have my foreignness work just as well there as it did in the provinces. Also English levels were so much higher so I could continue conversations longer. It was all round better. Also I realised after 5 days in a small provincial city that it was incredibly dull. There were so few options and it was more conservative. Everything that others had said but that I was sceptical about believing.

Definitely no plans to get engaged or stopping my way of life

Quote: (02-20-2013 09:15 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

The downside of Moscow was the incredible expense.

What's a cocktail run? In a cheap place? Expensive one?

Nice meal and wine?

I never drank cocktails but a beer was about 200 Roubles ( 52 Roubles to the UK Pound ). I took a girl out for lunch in a medium level place and it came to 3600 Roubles for us both including a couple glasses of wine each. Those prices are probably about the same as London but when you've just flown in from the provinces it's painful. I stayed in a friend's apartment so saved money on hotels but even a cheap hotel in Moscow runs to $125 a night ( Izmailovsky ) so times that by 10 nights and you are stacking up a big bill. Then you've got drinks and food and you're needing a big balance. The plus point is that the women are incredibly receptive so you need to weigh up if it's worth it to you.

You'd love Moscow G,it really is mind blowing how much talent there is but I think for a longer term stay then other large Russian cities will be a more economical choice.

Quote: (02-20-2013 01:26 PM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

Sounds good Vorkuta. If I remember correctly you are British, but have Russian heritage. Sounds to me like a good combination to me. I've heard that Russian generally like the British (Well, the cultured Brits anyway), even if diplomatically the two countries aren't the best of friends.

What about teaching English initially while looking out for something more in your field?

I'm British yes but have no Russian heritage at all. Yes they have a misguided image of Brits over there ( maybe the new Easyjet Moscow flights will change that ). You hear people say quite often how cultured we are so it's definitely a positive as opposed to a negative or neutral.

Teaching is an option but I'm reluctant. I have an excellent contact there who could give me a job in one of his companies but I would need to master Russian first or else I'd be of no use to anyone. Ideally I'd start a business myself and aim it at foreigners. Maybe real-estate or something? One thing is for sure,there is money there.

Quote: (02-19-2013 03:10 PM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

I have known intrinsically and instinctively from a young age that I am not and never could be absolutely happy in my own country. Since the age of 18 when I took my first solo trip I have tried to be out of my own country as much as possible. It has without a doubt held me back in life in terms of relationships and financial/career. It's impossible to commit to anything or anyone when you have this constant feeling of impermanence in your own country.

Wow you couldn't have mirrored my feelings any more with this^^
I was just in Moscow and St.Petersburg for two weeks over xmas and new years. Moscow was a bit too rough and dirty for me, but then again I wasn't really exploring the nightlife as I was staying in a Russian girl's flat happy to be getting my Russian flag with her. St. Petersburg was so much cleaner and the Russians there actually smiled, but then again it did seem very touristy, even for January. I know my place is in eastern Europe somewhere.. so far I've only been to Prague, Buddapest, Moscow/SPB. Prague is my favorite city, but I still want to hit Poland, Croatia, and Slovakia.

There is also a specific type of eastern Euro facial complexion that just melts my heart whenever I encounter it (i think its Slovak). Can any of you guys weigh in on similarities of these girls faces and where more of them are located?
Slovak (one on the right): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a...2498_n.jpg
Slovak: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a...4426_n.jpg
Russian: http://cs5400.userapi.com/u35117318/-6/x_feb8bf95.jpg

two scoops
two genders
two terms