rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Asteroid Impact That Killed the Dinosaurs: New Evidence

Quote:Quote:

Currently, the main suspect behind this catastrophe is a cosmic impact from an asteroid or comet, an idea first proposed by physicist Luis Alvarez and his son geologist Walter Alvarez. Scientists later found that signs of this collision seemed evident near the town of Chicxulub (CHEEK-sheh-loob) in Mexico in the form of a gargantuan crater more than 110 miles (180 kilometers) wide. The explosion, likely caused by an object about 6 miles (10 km) across, would have released as much energy as 100 trillion tons of TNT, more than a billion times more than the atom bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

However, further work suggested the Chicxulub impact occurred either 300,000 years before or 180,000 years after the end-Cretaceous mass extinction. As such, researchers have explored other possibilities, including other impact sites, such as the controversial Shiva crater in India, or even massive volcanic eruptions, such as those creating the Deccan Flats in India.

http://news.yahoo.com/asteroid-impact-ki...46621.html

wait so they still don't know when the impact happened as they say it happened either before or after...thats a bit shite

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

I'd like to believe that consciousness as we know it can't arise in chaos.

Proof that life is rare can be found if you study the solar system as an entity. Jupiter sucks up most of asteroids.

My dick takes a beating as well.

Quote: (02-08-2013 04:48 AM)bojangles Wrote:  

wait so they still don't know when the impact happened as they say it happened either before or after...thats a bit shite

I think the reporter doesn't understand the concept of the reference range.

Later on in the article it mentions that new evidence suggests the impact happened within 33 000 years of the extinction, either before or after or at the same time.

So it either:
Destablised the world and created the possibility that some other event would wipe everything out
Caused the end of world (from a dinosaur's point of view)
Or sealed the nail in the coffin, causing almost no dinosaurs to survive some other cataclysmic event.

Few things in science are certain.