rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Just Landed In Ecuador

Just Landed In Ecuador

I'm only at the Quito airport now waiting to go to Guayaquil. First impression coming from Medellin, everyone is ugly.

They charged me US$10 to use the internet, and I paid it because I'm here 5 hours. I tried getting her down. I told her that I knew 10 was the gringo price and she could come down. She wouldn't budge. Unfortunately 10 minutes after I paid for internet, some Colombian girl offered me the password.

I'm thinking I'm gonna hit up Montanita. I had no clue it was Carnaval here this weekend, it may be a nice surprise. Unfortunately my boy who was supposed to come meet up with me from Lima isn't coming anymore, so I'm rolling solo. But on the plus side, he didn't want to go to Montanita, so how I have an opportunity.

Check back, I'll be keeping everyone posted on Ecuador. From what I've seen in the airport, to say there isn't much talent is an understatement. Most people look indigenous, and I'm not talking Pocahantis indigenous either. One nice thing though is I feel tall.

Just Landed In Ecuador

I keep hitting my head on the lights here at the cafe I'm in. I guess they just assume that no one over 5'6" eats here.

I do like how they use the US Dollar here, it makes things easy.

Just Landed In Ecuador

i found the girls to be extremely easy in clubs in quito..i hear it is even easier in guayaquil

Just Landed In Ecuador

What is the approximate percentage of girls that speak english?

Just Landed In Ecuador

If you get a chance to hit up the smaller city Cuenca, I'd be very interested in any info you can report back with, good luck in Ecuador!

Just Landed In Ecuador

Indigenous people in peru are also extreamly easy. Think ecuador is similar

Just Landed In Ecuador

Quote:Quote:

I guess they just assume that no one over 5'6" eats here.

Possible poosy paradise for Houston.

That 10 dollar internets thing bothers me. I think there's an app called wifi crack or something.

Just Landed In Ecuador

Have fun with our ugly cousins!
Nah, just kidding. Why Ecuador, tho?

Just Landed In Ecuador

I was supposed to go with a friend to Quito in March. I bailed because I have another friend in Thailand and saving up for a trip there seemed more worthwhile from a pussy standpoint. Quito doesn't get a lot of love on RVF.

Right decision?

Just Landed In Ecuador

Montanita was my higlight for Ecuador. Its a compact hippie surf town that draws people from all over to party. Plenty of dtf Canadian and American girls when I went. You should have a good time there. Look on the bright side, Ecuador chicks may be ugly but at least its not Bolivia. Hahaha How long you staying for?

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Just Landed In Ecuador

So, I just booked a hostel in Montanita and it was a bitch to get one. Guayaquil is a shithole from what I've seen. I'll be back shortly and give you the breakdown, gotta go get my bus booked and try and find out somewhere to go tonight.

Just Landed In Ecuador

So Guayaquil...

I got in early this morning and I was tired as hell from traveling all night with hardly any sleep. I get to my hostel and it's a weird place. The front desk was on the 7th floor of some building in the middle of town. I take the elevator up to find my room won't be ready for another 30 minutes, no worries, I'm mad early. I finally get the room, which is a private, and there are 3 beds in here. I found that kind of odd, but the receptionist assured me that it would only be me staying here. The only people I saw staying at the hostel were people in their 50s. This hostel seemed like a bust. It also seems there is some type of salon and other offices in here, super strange.

(Right here I was almost done with my report and accidentally pressed the refresh button on my last paragraph, que pena!!!! So I'm gonna cut out all the unnecessary rumble and break it down for you...)

The Girls: Oh wow! I've never seen such terrible quality in my life! If you think we have it bad in the states, do yourself a favor and never visit Ecuador if you are looking for girls. Seriously! I walked around for a good 4 hours today and saw maybe 5 girls I would bang. And even the best looking of those still wouldn't even caught my eye in Colombia. She may have been a 7 in the states if I was being generous. In Medellin, on a Friday or Saturday in Parque Lleras, you can stand in one place and turn around in a 360 degree rotation and you will probably see 15 women you want to bang, not exaggerating. The cutest girl I met was in the airport in Quito, and I ended up getting her number, she seemed interested. She said she was just going to chill tonight because she had just spent a week in Miami, but I'm not gonna stick around to try. Before I came here I always heard the quality was bad, and I thought, "Well, yeah I'm sure the average girl is bad, but there has to still be a good number of hotties and they must be easy." NO! There is no "good number" of hotties. 99.9% of the girls here are ugly!

The Food: Another WOW! I'm not quit sure what is worse, the food or the women. I walked around for almost a half hour earlier looking for something edible. I ended up at Burger King because I just wasn't coming up with anything. For dinner, I walked down the street and found the closest place with edible looking food since it was starting to get late. I ordered "Chicken Bites." Simple, it's hard to fuck up chicken finger right? Wrong! They should have called these things "Breaded Rubber Bites." Seriously, they were horrible and had a rubbery texture when you bit in. Then at the same place they had something called, "Pan De Yucca," (Which I think I saw in Colombia too) which looked just like a delicious snack from Brazil called, "Pao de Quiejo." Yes, they LOOKED much like pao de quiejo, but TASTED a lot more like garbage. I ate two and left the other 3 behind.

The City: There are a couple nice parts. I went for a long walk and saw some of the sites the girl at the front desk advised me to see. There was a park with this huge state in it called Plaza Del Centenario. It was cool to take a few pics. I went over by the river and checked out the garden they had, it was also pretty nice. Other than that, the city is pretty much a shit whole. The roads suck, the buildings are worn down and almost all need a paint job. I think it was Lumiere who said centro seemed pretty first world. Were we in the same centro? The only way I could see it being first world is if you were comparing it to Africa or maybe SE Asia. This place is a shit whole.

Nightlife: I can't say much about it other than when I asked the girl at the front desk where I could go tonight in the way of nightclubs or bars, she looked at me like I was crazy. She said there is nothing to do on Tuesdays. Her coworker confirmed this. I feel there has to be SOMETHING, but her not knowing isn't a good look. Almost all the stores in this area are closed and it's only 10:30, but when I went out at 9, even then most were closed. I see virtually nobody on the street and I'm in a fairly busy area. Either way, I'm not sticking around to see what the nightlife has to offer. I know I haven't really given it a chance, but I'm just not really willing to, I'd rather see better places.

Security: From what many people have told me, it is dangerous here. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be. Right now, I can see it being a little dangerous because there really isn't anyone in the streets, but during the day, I didn't see anyone really that looked shady, which wasn't the case in places like Centro in Colombia or Rio. But either way, it's a fairly big city in Latin America, and just about all of them are somewhat dangerous, so I'm not gonna take my chances walking around solo at 10:30.

To answer some of your questions above:

"What is the approximate percentage of girls that speak english?": That I couldn't tell you because I haven't been speaking to girls, as there aren't really any girls I'd want to speak with. From just doing my daily routines, it seemed like more people speak English here than in Colombia surprisingly.

"i found the girls to be extremely easy in clubs in quito..i hear it is even easier in guayaquil": I'm sure it is pretty easy because there is virtually no competition. All the dudes are short indians, and I would be real surprised to see that they had game. Problem is finding a girl you would want to bring back to your pad. They are all just so ugly.

"If you get a chance to hit up the smaller city Cuenca, I'd be very interested in any info you can report back with, good luck in Ecuador!" Thanks for the regards! Unfortunately, I'm just gonna pass through Montanita and get the hell out of dodge, but I'll definitely give you the the word on montanita.

"Why Ecuador, tho?"- A plane ticket to Peru was much more expensive than Ecuador. I figured I may as well fly in here and check out another country for a couple days before I hit up Peru. Originally the plan was to meet my homie here since he thought he had to leave Peru to renew his visa. Just before we were supposed to come out he found out he could do something else since he is married to a Peruvian. He decided to save his money for when I get out there so we could do some cool shit in Peru, which I'm all for because he didn't want to go to Montanita anyways, and it will be dope to do some cool stuff in Peru. I don't regret coming here at all. I probably won't ever come back (Depending on Montanita) but at least I can say I went and experienced it.

So, that's the best I could do with the one day I've spent here. One day typically isn't long enough to make a good overview, but for me, that's all I'm giving it. I just feel like there are better things to see. So I guess take this report with a grain of salt, as there could be many other things to scope out in the city. I just personally don't recommend wasting your time when there are so many better places to be in South America. I spent the evening trying to figure out my situation for monanita. It took me forever to find a hostel. I must have called 15 places and they were all booked because of it being Carnaval and all this weekend. I finally got lucky. I tried booking a room and it said they had rooms available. When I went to pay it said the room was booked. I tried again and got the reservation through. It looks like it should be a big one this weekend in Montanita. Typically, when I'm traveling I want to stay away from the American or Canadian girl travelers, but at this point I would welcome them with open hands over these Ecuadorian girls. Stay tuned for the Montanita update!

Just Landed In Ecuador

You been hitting up a lot of cities bro! Keep the posts coming it's good to here about the adventures.

Just Landed In Ecuador

Damn didn't realize the women were that bad in Ecuador, are you planning on doing any outdoor type activities there? I heard that's what Ecuador excels at, outdoor and nature type activities.

Just Landed In Ecuador

I think I'm gonna save that for Peru. I think they have pretty similar options. My boy has been all over out there and he knows the good spots to show me. I'm just gonna do Montanita for Carnaval and then head down to Peru on Sunday.

Just Landed In Ecuador

One other thing I forgot to add to the shitiness of Guayaquil, is there is always terrible music, usually from the 80's, playing everywhere you go.

Just Landed In Ecuador

mate u r right about the women generally speaking but find the best clubs and u will see some nice girls and they will be throwing their numbers at u

Just Landed In Ecuador

Quote: (02-06-2013 11:35 AM)Ovid Wrote:  

I was supposed to go with a friend to Quito in March. I bailed because I have another friend in Thailand and saving up for a trip there seemed more worthwhile from a pussy standpoint. Quito doesn't get a lot of love on RVF.

Right decision?

excellent decision, thailand rocks and its not just about pussy

Just Landed In Ecuador

So I'm in montanita and it is fucking awesome. So many horny girls from many countries. I have no wifi were I'm staying even though they advertised they did, but oh we'll they have it in town. Ill give u guys the full breakdown when I get back to civilization in a couple days.

Just Landed In Ecuador

Alright, I just got back from Montanita, and unfortunately I had to spend another night in Guayaquil because they didn't have a bus until 10 pm to Lima. I was so exhausted from partying in Monatnita, I decided I'd just wait for the next at 7 am the next morning. It's gonna be a hell of a trip, going from here to Lima on bus. Had they a bus going to Tumbes or Moncura, Peru, I would have caught it this morning, but they were all too late and I wasn't gonna sit around the bus station until 10 pm (I arrived at 9 am). I was so depressed when I found I had to spend another day in Guayaquil. I decided to just rent a cheap, dumpy ass hostel (I don't know what's shittier, my hostel or Guayaquil, both pretty on par with each other) close to the bus terminal because I knew there was nothing I wanted to see in Guayaquil, and I was damn tired at that. BTW, I'm getting a whole lot of bad luck with hostels on hostelworld. I don't know who is writing these reviews and how someone can give a place like the one I'm staying at, or stayed at before in Guayaquil, a 95%. In Peru I'm just staying at the one my friend stayed out while he was out there. I also just made a couch surfing profile. And I might come up on a little extra cash, and if that's the case I'm hitting up airbnb if I can find something for the right price.

So, Montanita....

It was carnaval, and I don't know if this is how it usually is, but there were a lot of Chilean and Argentines, along with a bunch of Ecuadorians, and minimal amounts of Colombians. By Saturday I met a huge mix of people from Germany, Sweeden, Switzerland, Spain, The States, Australia, Brazil (But very few, one of the Brazilian guys I met said there were two really good looking girls from Vitoria living there, but I couldn't find them) all over really. Montanita has a great beach and pretty good surf. I rented a board yesterday and went with one of the Spanish cats staying at my hostel. Thursday their seemed to be lots of single girls looking to have fun. I had two girls approach me all googly eyed and asked my name and where I was from. Both were pretty ugly. Friday night I was having a hard time finding single good looking chicks. It's tough to come from a place like Medellin that has beautiful girls everywhere to a place like ecuador, even a vacation spot, as the girls were still pretty average. Montanita is pretty much a hippy surf town. Almost all the people who lived there seemed to be hippys, and I don't know if I'd every been anywhere with such interesting haircuts (Dreadhawks, skril x-hawk, I mean I don't even know how to call or describe some of them). I had a blast though. Everyone is just out to have a good time. Here's my breakdown of Montanita.

Girls: I'd rate them a 5 1/2 out of ten. The average girl is just that, pretty average. Many hippie type chicks. I'm starting to think I'm not big on the Argi girl look. I always heard how beautiful they were, but I only on occasion saw real stunners. I've met so many at this point that I feel like I can make a decently fair judgement on how the average Argi looks, and I'm not really that impressed, I like curvy women, and they don't seem to have a lot of curves and I find the faces to be pretty average, but I guess I can't say 100% until I visit. But Argi girls made up a big majority that weekend. Lots of Chilean girls as well, and they were pretty average. I did meet one really good looking Chilean though. The one thing here though is it isn't that hard. I'm personally pretty picky so it was a little hard for me to find a girl I wanted to bang because the quality was so average, but all the girls are getting drunk and having a good time. Had I tried a little harder or had a little lower standards, it shouldn't have been very hard.

Food: A tad bit better than what I found in Guayaquil, but not by much. A lot of it is expensive as well. I ended up just eating street burgers and empanadas from some Argi guy, as they seemed to be the best option.

Accomidation: There are a couple hotels that appeared to be pretty decent, but it seems most the options are hostels. I would recommend staying outside of town if you want to sleep. Town is LOUD! There are a handful of options just down the street from the center of town. Anywhere in Montanita is going to be a short walk. My place was back on a hill. At first I thought it was going to take 20 minutes to walk, but then I just realized it looked so far because there was lots of empty space, it realistically only took about 10 minutes at most.

Prices: The town is rather reasonable, as Ecuador is cheap in general. You may pay a little more than you would for things in Quito, but I would usually bring out $40 for a night and have $10 left over. All prices in USD (Also what they use).

A big beer: $1.50
Street burger: 1.50
Empanada: 1
Plate of shitty food at a restaurant: 5-7, that's why I ate empenadas, not to mention they just taste better.
Great cocktail: 2.50-3. I kept going back to these same guys bar because they had great cocktails, they were $3, but we made a deal with them. We told them we'd keep bringing them business if they'd give us our drinks for $2.50, and they did
Renting a surfboard: Typically it will run you $15, but if you tell them you plan on renting for 2 or more days, they'll bring down the price to 10. You may even be able to get them down to 10 for just one day if it isn't high season.
Pack of Smokes: 4
Hostel: Depends on the time of season, but it should be about $12 a night. Hotel rooms will run anywhere from $30-180. My problem was I was only 1 person and a lot of the hostels only wanted to rent out to 3 or more. Luckily mine was cool and hooked it up for one without making me buy 3 beds, which others were doing. Don't know if that's the case in low season though.

During high season prices will go up a little bit. For the most part you can talk them down for a lot of things like the little things the hippies are selling on the street and surfboards, things like that.

The Town: Montanita is tiny, the main area being about 4 blocks by 4 blocks. I think only something like 2,000 people live there year round. But during high season the place gets packed. It's a nice little town and I really enjoyed the beach. The only problem is it's so small, that when it's high season, it almost gets hard to walk around. Thursday and Friday were cool, but Saturday was almost too much. Another problem with Montanita, is they don't have good ways of taking care of their waste. Many places in town smell like shit.

Places to go: There are some discotecas and bars to go into, but I wasn't a big fan and it didn't seem like many others were either. To be honest, the street or beach at night is really where it was at. There are tons of little bars on little carts that set up all along the streets and the cocktails are delicious. They make things like Caiparinha, Caiparoska, and Mojitos. I wouldn't even waste my time in the clubs or bars. We went to a club two nights in a row just to see what it was like, totally empty. Same with another bar. Everyone is just running around town getting messed up.

The Surf: Was decent. It probably all just depends on the day. The day I went the waves were closing up quickly. Towards the point is the best spot. The break here is mostly just a beach break, no reef or anything there.

Now a little bit about my experiences there...

First thing when I wake up and go to check out, the lady at my hostel in Guayaquil tries telling me there is a big problem in Montanita, and that they dug up a bunch of the roads and were replacing piping. She told me that a lot of the hotels and hostels were closed. I was super disappointed and almost didn't go. I mean she made it sound like nobody was going to be there and nothing was going to be happening. I called my hostel to make sure they were still open, and that they were.

Once I arrived I realized the lady was full of shit, and maybe just wanted me to stay a couple nights at her hostel. They had torn up the side of one of the roads, but it was no big deal, only a couple hostels and hotels were closed, and town was packed.

I realized that my hostel was a ways down the road and up a hill. It definitely had one of the best views in town. When I got there though I was a little upset to find out that our toilet was basically a whole that we had to shit in and then cover it up with compost. I was definitely not thrilled about it, and of corse I ended up having to take twice as many craps as I normally would. Plus the shower barely worked and no cold water. But the spot itself was nice besides the bathroom situation. Surprisingly a dutch chick owned the place too, you would expect a place like that to be owned by some surf bumb or something. Also, no internet the first day. She said the second day it was going to be fixed. I thought she was full of shit but it actually was fixed the second day. 2 of the 3 nights we were there we experienced power outages for about an hour but I don't think it was the buildings fault. The vibe was also cool there. The owner had the fridge stocked with beers and she smoked so we could smoke wherever we wanted. The house was really open and there was an awesome balcony over looking the ocean, which is where we mostly chilled, kicked back with some beers and smokes.

I ended up meeting a couple groups of Chileans I hung out with the first night, but also did my own thing as well. I ran into some Ausi dudes and we ended up hunting for girls. It was a little hard to find quality, especially after Medellin. I had some ugly girls approach me and the girls I approached were friendly but it didn't seem like they were feeling it. I ended up getting a little drunk but going home pretty early, around 3, because I was tired. Right before I decided to go home though, a chilean girl came up to me and started asking me all these questions. She was for sure into me. She looked pretty good at first but then when she smiled her teeth were a little busted, but not so bad that I wouldn't bang her. I end up trying to make out with her within two minutes of meeting her twice, but she resisted and said she'd see me tomorrow. Apparently she with with her ex boyfriends friends. I never ended up seeing her.

Friday I ended up sleeping in and kind of wasting the day away. I didn't wake up until 1, I was a little disappointed. I did go into town for a bit just to see what the place was like during the day and checked out the beach as well. I decided since I didn't have internet at the hostel that I would take my iPhone with me since I had already wasted a lot of the day anyways, so I didn't end up getting in the water that day. That night I ended up going out with some of the guys from the hostel. I thought the Spanish guy would be good at gaming because he was cool and somewhat good looking, but I came to find he was very shy. We met a group of Argi girls and he really liked one of them (I thought just cute, i would have smashed though), another was cute, and the other two were ugly, one was a whale. He decided he wanted to approach, so he pulled the good 'ol, "You have a lighter?" But the thing was, he just asked for a lighter and lit his cigarette and that was the end of the transaction. I stepped in though after he walked away and asked where the girls were from, even though I already knew they were Argi. We sparked up some conversation and introduced my people. The girls asked about a good discoteca to go to and I told them there was one down the street and they decided we should all go together. Of course though, the fat and ugly two had to start nagging because they weren't getting the love they wanted. They stopped the group of girls halfway to the discoteca. They started debating. The two ugs ended up staying at the beach and the two cuties came with us for a minute. After about 10 minutes though I think they started to feel bad about ditching their friends and went back. I did a handful of other approaches that night, but non led anywhere even though a couple seemed interested. The problem here is though, you really want to push to get sex the same night, since everyone is traveling here from other countries only for a couple of days, no one has phones, and you may see them the next day or you may not. Anyways, no success that night and the guys from the hostel wanted to go home around 3 am. I decided that was fine since I wanted to surf the next day.

Saturday morning I woke up early, not because I wanted to surf, which I did, but because I couldn't stop itching from the million mesquito bites I was getting from the damn place I was staying at. We end up getting to town around 10:30 for some grub and then headed over to rent some surf boards. I'm not a great surfer and have only been a handful of times, but I know board sports. It had been 3 years since I had last surfed in Florianopolis, so I was a little rusty, but after a while I was getting up just about every try. The breaks were alright. The problem is the waves kept closing fast, you wouldn't get many good shoulders. I ended up just riding white water most the day, and when I was trying to catch the barrels, they just kept closing up too fast. That night was just a huge shit show in town. It was packed! Many places it was hard to walk. I went out again with a bunch of cats from the hostel. Many ended up going home early and I ended up with two German girls. One was ok, a little hefty in the wrong places though, but she did have a nice face and pretty blue eyes. The other was not my style. I end up ditching them because they wanted to go into a bar and I said, "I'm gonna go get a cocktail down the street from those guys that make the really good ones, I'll meet you in there." I really just wanted to get away from them, not that they weren't cool, but they were kind of cramping my style when I was trying to pick up. I ended up though just running into too many people I had met earlier and getting distracted. My approaches that night were minimal.

I ended up partying until about 4 and decided, fuck it, I'll just hop of the 5:45 bus and go straight to Lima and sleep all the way. Little did I know my plan was totally fucked. Even getting on the 5:45 bus went to shit. I ended up going to my house when I decided to leave on the 5:45 to pack my stuff. Many of the taxi drivers were dicks and didn't want to go up the hill to my place. I couldn't get a hold of the taxi company once I was ready to go, but I had told the receptionist when I went to get the taxi to my house that I would be ready 20 minutes after the taxi dropped me off. I was thinking, "Shit! I have this 50 lb. bag and now I can't get a taxi, well fuck it, I'm just gonna walk!" As I'm walking out of the house, a taxi pops up! No Way! I can't believe the receptionist came through or that even a taxi went up the hill to pick me up. None of them liked to go up the hill because it was steep and it ate up their gas. I ended up throwing the guy $5 even though it was only a $2.50 taxi. I get to the bus terminal to get my ticket, turns out all the buses are sold out until 1 pm! The bus driver tells me there is a local bus that comes by but it takes an hour longer and there is a chance there won't be seats. I decided I'd already gone through too much trouble to go all the way back to my spot so I decided to do the local bus. I ended up getting a seat and everything. It was no big deal.

So I never ended up getting a notch there. I didn't go as hard as I could have. My logistics were not the best, it's hard to bang when you are staying at a hostel. I already had my Ecuadorian notch anyways and the girl was better looking than just about any of the Ecuadorian girls I saw in Ecuador. If anything there I would have wanted to get my Chilean notch.

That's the end of my trip to Ecuador. I'll be out of this place in 5 1/2 hours. Though Montanita was actually great, I really liked the place, I don't see myself coming back to Ecuador. There are better places to be. And if I do it will only be the beach or jungle areas. I hear mixed things about Quito, a lot of people like it, but after Guayaquil, I don't think I'm gonna give it a shot. Guayaquil is straight up my least favorite place I've ever been. I feel uncomfortable here. It's really just so ugly, it's hard to even paint a picture of it for you. I would say you would have to see it for yourself, but I wouldn't recommend that. Please, DO NOT waste your time going to Guayaquil. Not to mention the people are fucking rude. Today when I arrived at the bus terminal, it was packed!!! I mean PACKED!!! I was trying to get through everyone and people are pushing me from behind trying to get through, no one says excuse me, they just try and shove their way through even though there is no space to move. They just seem to be dumb and primitive. No one wanted to help me out. When I was looking for buses to Lima I would ask if they knew anyone who did that service, and at first they would say no, but then I'd stick around and ask more questions and finally they would look at me annoyed and say, "Office 38 goes to Lima." on 3 occasions in the two days I was here, one of the times in line in the packed terminal and one time in the middle of a busy food court, I saw indigionous looking ladies breast feeding their kids. Not discretely though, like full on breast out. And then when the kid was done, they didn't even try and cover it up, they just went full out boob in the middle of the food court. So weird.

Well, fuck you very much Guayaquil, I had a miserable time here. Time to move onto better places. I mean there is no way Lima could suck as bad as Guayaquil. And at least if it does suck, one of my best friends I haven't seen in ages is there, at least I have that to look forward to. Plus I've been pipelining in Lima and getting very positive responses from good looking girls. I hope you guys found this guide helpful, and stay tuned for a Lima data sheet in a different thread!

Just Landed In Ecuador

Thread bump: I'm considering a quick trip to Ecuador in early January, probably about ten days and am looking for intel on the small adventure tourism town of Baños, have any of you been there before? I will probably spend a couple of days in Quito just to check it out and will likely hit up Montañita as well to party and do a bit of surfing. I will be traveling from Colombia and throughout Ecuador by bus and likely just staying in hotels and maybe private rooms in hostels, if anyone has any recent information on Ecuador or tips for travel that would be great.

Just Landed In Ecuador

You can rent a mountain bike and drive all the way down from village to village. This is lots of fun as it goes down for a while and you can even feel how the climate and vegetation is changing while you are descending. Then just through the bike on the roof of one of the public bus and drive back up and relax in one the hot pools.

Hiking is also nice and rafting can be done depending on the time of your visit.

Just dont expect too much overall, especially if coming from Colombia. Ecuador is one of my least favorite in South America on all matters.

There is this huge vulcano mountain outside of Quito which is also cool to discover.

Just Landed In Ecuador

Quote: (12-15-2014 03:55 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Thread bump: I'm considering a quick trip to Ecuador in early January, probably about ten days and am looking for intel on the small adventure tourism town of Baños, have any of you been there before? I will probably spend a couple of days in Quito just to check it out and will likely hit up Montañita as well to party and do a bit of surfing. I will be traveling from Colombia and throughout Ecuador by bus and likely just staying in hotels and maybe private rooms in hostels, if anyone has any recent information on Ecuador or tips for travel that would be great.

Scotian- I was in Banos in 2011, it's not a big place with a ton to do, but it's worth a day or two to check out and only a 2.5 hr bus from Quito. Cool little town built down in the valley with mountains all around. I would recommend renting a go-cart to get around, there is a place downtown that rents them and you can get around the whole town easily that way. The two things I liked the most were climbing the actual volcano (Tungurahua), which is an active volcano and will one day cover the city in ash Pompeii-style. One afternoon it rumbled for about five minutes, it sounded like someone was flying a jet low over the city. It's a steep two-hour climb, but with great views of the Andes at the top. The other thing was the hot spring, they have built swimming/wading pools over the hot springs with tables and chairs around them. It can get massively crowded at peak hours, but otherwise is a relaxing spot.

It's a big tourist destination, so there are some good restaurants. I was with my Colombian gf at the time so I didn't check out much in the way of nightlife, but there seemed to be a lot of backpacker types around so there are some bars at least and plenty of hostels. In my opinion Ecuadorians are as ugly as the Colombians are beautiful, so bringing a Colombiana with you isn't a bad idea unless you're just looking for a solo trip. I think I saw one girl that I'd consider an 8 over two weeks in Ecuador.

Just Landed In Ecuador

Quote: (12-15-2014 03:55 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Thread bump: I'm considering a quick trip to Ecuador in early January, probably about ten days and am looking for intel on the small adventure tourism town of Baños, have any of you been there before?

Yeah I have been there but I was with my Ecuadorian gf so can't give you any info about where to meet girls.

We went there for the hot spring baths.

What info you looking for?

Just Landed In Ecuador

Thanks for the tip guys, I didn't have much interest in visiting Ecuador but I'm probably going to the carnaval de Pasto which is very close to the border, so I figured that I'd cross it for a few days to check it out. I may limit my time there instead based on this info, probably just check out Quito for a day then do 2-3 days in Banos then make my way back to Colombia.