rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

South America or SE Asia? Help! Need Advice RE Living Costs et al

I have a pleasant but relatively difficult decision to make pretty fast, and would appreciate advice. My question is mainly about quality of life and living costs, although I also ask about romantic pursuit...

I have enough money to last me 9 months - 1 yr living on an average of $1500-2000/month, assuming that I don't get any other source of income. I have two main questions:

1. Not considering cost, would you choose SE Asia or South America as a longer term place to live? And why?

I've already lived in S. America for 3 years before, mostly Brazil and Argentina. I'm fluent in Portuguese and speak OK Spanish. I also prefer the women in Brazil and Argentina to Asian girls. I know how to get around these countries, have driven around them before, etc.; by contrast, the only time I spent in Asia was Japan, and I found that a bit alienating so I left.

So why isn't it a slam-dunk to go back to Argentina or Brazil? Here are the reasons against: it's fucking expensive! Life in Brazil (Rio most of all, which I like a lot) has become especially expensive lately, and it's not cheap in Argentina either. Second, I like seeing new places and I think it might be exciting to visit SE Asia--many opportunities for all kinds of different countries to enjoy. Third, and here especially I would appreciate some advice from people who have experience with this, I heard it's easy to get a decent job in SE Asia, whereas it's next to impossible in South America.

So I guess question
2. How easy is it to find a reliable source of income in SE Asia?

Anyway, any advice on living costs and quality of life in these areas would be much appreciated; also advice on how SE Asian girls differ from Brazilian/Argentinian.

Here's another main concern regarding quality of life: is there anything to do in Bangkok/Singapore/Vietnam, other than the girls and seeing new places? I heard life can get very boring there very fast. I'm thinking that after 2 months I'd be bored out of my mind in Thailand.

Thanks!

PS I know I'm new here, I'd be glad to give advice in exchange on life in Brazil, Argentina, parts of Europe and the US, etc.

RE: source of income, with 9 months to hustle you don't think you could create a location independent income of $2k / month?

Quote: (02-01-2013 07:48 PM)Rah Wrote:  

RE: source of income, with 9 months to hustle you don't think you could create a location independent income of $2k / month?

I hope that I can, but what if I can't...it's not as easy as some would say. Trying to find work in Brazil is brutal. If what people say about SE Asia is true (I mean about getting a bs job there), that may be a great plus.

I am also interested in SE Asia for the novelty, but I'm worried that it's a bad location for long-term living. I'm worried that it's a shithole and that aside from strip clubs and the like there won't be anything to do.

Quote: (02-01-2013 07:16 PM)Bronze Age Pervert Wrote:  

So I guess question

Here's another main concern regarding quality of life: is there anything to do in Bangkok/Singapore/Vietnam, other than the girls and seeing new places? I heard life can get very boring there very fast. I'm thinking that after 2 months I'd be bored out of my mind in Thailand.

If you seriously think there's going to be "nothing to do" in either Bangkok or Vietnam you are sorely mistaken. The US will make you want to blow your brains out when you get back from those places.

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

Quote: (02-01-2013 09:09 PM)Cyclone Wrote:  

So I guess question

If you seriously think there's going to be "nothing to do" in either Bangkok or Vietnam you are sorely mistaken. The US will make you want to blow your brains out when you get back from those places.

Can you give some examples please? I heard that after you've seen one Buddhist temple the rest are not so exciting, and that aside from this, the only activities there are things like going to trashy expat bars, being around fat German tourists looking for prosties, strip clubs, and that whole thing; that gets old fast. What are some of the things in Bangkok or Saigon/etc. that you enjoy doing for the day and so on...

How do you get around the fact that you don't speak the language? Are the expats in those places interesting people, can you make good friends?

There's quite a few threads on SE Asia, Thailand in particular.

I'm in a similar situation, about 6-9 months of savings (@ around 2k / mo) and I'm headed in Bangkok in a few weeks with no return ticket. Depending on how I get on there I may stick around for a while. I make some money freelancing and plan to work on new business projects while there.

For me, Bangkok is attractive as a potential home base because it's got all the amenities of a modern city I would want, is relatively safe, sounds like a lot of fun, has some english speakers, and has a cheap cost of living. Another positive indicator is that ThaiFriendly.com is the only dating site I've ever been on where I feel like a hot chick hah.

Quote: (02-01-2013 09:25 PM)Rah Wrote:  

There's quite a few threads on SE Asia, Thailand in particular.

I'm in a similar situation, about 6-9 months of savings (@ around 2k / mo) and I'm headed in Bangkok in a few weeks with no return ticket. Depending on how I get on there I may stick around for a while. I make some money freelancing and plan to work on new business projects while there.

For me, Bangkok is attractive as a potential home base because it's got all the amenities of a modern city I would want, is relatively safe, sounds like a lot of fun, has some english speakers, and has a cheap cost of living. Another positive indicator is that ThaiFriendly.com is the only dating site I've ever been on where I feel like a hot chick hah.

I'm considering doing exactly the same. Btw, will they let you fly in without a return ticket?

What do you think your living cost/month would be, and particularly how much is a nice centrally-located apt.?

You say it's fun...what makes you say that? Not being aggressive btw, just curious; I'm concerned that beyond the first month the strip club/night club/bar circuit would get very boring. Is there anything else there besides this...I'm worried that it's just a trashy culture and boring slumlife there like in Mexico City or something like that.

bangkok/chang mai

LA VS SEA? SEA hands down!
As to what type of ways to create income, with 9 months, you have plenty of time to get something off the ground. Worst comes to worst, teach English for a while to get you going. I'd suggest you go to China, preferably in Guangzhou and start hustling hard during your 9 months while also having a ball in the same time. Totally doable within your budget. Check the Guangzhou thread to get your juices flowing.

Guangzhou thread link:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-15175.html

BKK is also a fabulous choice! You won't regret it, your only challenge will be to find time to do some actual work versus partying and recovering from the crazy lifestyle.

Quote: (02-02-2013 02:32 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

LA VS SEA? SEA hands down!
As to what type of ways to create income, with 9 months, you have plenty of time to get something off the ground. Worst comes to worst, teach English for a while to get you going. I'd suggest you go to China, preferably in Guangzhou and start hustling hard during your 9 months while also having a ball in the same time. Totally doable within your budget. Check the Guangzhou thread to get your juices flowing.

Guangzhou thread link:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-15175.html

BKK is also a fabulous choice! You won't regret it, your only challenge will be to find time to do some actual work versus partying and recovering from the crazy lifestyle.

Thanks for advice! My main concern about SE Asia is that life would get boring after a while...strip clubs/night clubs/etc. is there anything besides that? My worry is that Bangkok, etc. is like Mexico City or some Central America city: a big slummy shithole with trashy nightlife and not much to do outside that.

I will look on the Guangzhou thread, thanks. My plan was possibly SE Asia because I heard it's easier to get a job there, I guess teaching English. That's my only long-term plan at this point. I have no idea how to hustle or get something location-independent going.

This topic is of particular interest to me as I'm deciding between the two regions as well to set up a home base in the next couple of years, my experience is limited to four months in Colombia and three in Thailand (I"m currently in Bangkok).

As for the women, I much prefer dating Latinas over Thai; I can speak to them in their own language and they love to dance, so the interaction is better. Even on a bad date with a Colombian, I get to practice my Spanish and salsa moves. The language barrier isn't as bad as I thought it would be in Thailand, especially BKK, you'll meet some girls who speak English fairly well, but I still prefer talking to girls in their own language.

Thailand is a lot safer than most places in SA, I haven't had any problems at all and you can walk around at night in most places and not worry about it, can't do that so much in Colombia.

As for things to do, there's lots in Thailand, especially up in Chiang Mai: train Muay Thai, fishing, kayaking, moto-cross, mountain biking, trekking, zip lining, etc. There's really good diving down south around the islands as well. Thailand excels when it comes to activities and things to do, this is what I liked best about the country, its well organized and prices are decent.

I eventually going to write a data sheet comparing Colombia to Thailand, I like both places a lot but for different reasons, its going to be hard to decide where to set up shop between the two.

[quote] (02-02-2013 02:46 AM)Bronze Age Pervert Wrote:  

[quote='Vacancier Permanent' pid='361018' dateline='1359790359']
Thanks for advice! My main concern about SE Asia is that life would get boring after a while...strip clubs/night clubs/etc. is there anything besides that? My worry is that Bangkok, etc. is like Mexico City or some Central America city: a big slummy shithole with trashy nightlife and not much to do outside that.[/quote]

Dude, they're called FRIENDS.

If you're flipping through the pages of Lonely Planet and count whatever 40+ clubs, with that attitude of *course* you're gonna get bored. If you go home every night alone / get a beer on the corner of the street alone of course you're gonna get bored. Find some other cool expat friends (guys & girls) who are living in BKK for 6+ months or whatever. Use their social circle which will certainly hook you up with some locals, and as long as you're overall a chill/cool guy of value to hang out with you should have no problem.

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

Quote: (02-02-2013 02:46 AM)Bronze Age Pervert Wrote:  

I will look on the Guangzhou thread, thanks. My plan was possibly SE Asia because I heard it's easier to get a job there, I guess teaching English. That's my only long-term plan at this point. I have no idea how to hustle or get something location-independent going.

Have you taught before? It's not for everyone, and unless you love doing it, you should look into more time-efficient ways of making money. It's not hard to get your income to a point where you're making 25 to 50 percent more than English teachers, and that extra cash can mean some serious upgrades in lifestyle. While in SEAsia, I lived much more comfortably than the English teachers I knew, because the additional money I had (and it wasn't much in USD) had bumped me into an income range where I could rent a central apartment, go to upscale restaurants, shop at nicer grocery stores, etc.

I mean, half the fun of living in SEAsia is balling out. Teaching English won't quite get you there, at least not from what I've seen.

Check out the lifestyle forum for threads about location independent jobs. Here's one: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-11471.html

And a thread about hustling to get a salaried position abroad: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-4156.html

For me personally I would go to SE Asia, Thailand in Particular. The good thing about Thailand is that you have some hot tourists, that you will not find in Vietnam. S America is the unknown to me, it's quite dangerous, and these days becoming rather expensive.

Quote: (02-02-2013 12:13 PM)Cyclone Wrote:  

(02-02-2013, 07:32 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  Thanks for advice! My main concern about SE Asia is that life would get boring after a while...strip clubs/night clubs/etc. is there anything besides that? My worry is that Bangkok, etc. is like Mexico City or some Central America city: a big slummy shithole with trashy nightlife and not much to do outside that.

If you're flipping through the pages of Lonely Planet and count whatever 40+ clubs, with that attitude of *course* you're gonna get bored. If you go home every night alone / get a beer on the corner of the street alone of course you're gonna get bored. Find some other cool expat friends (guys & girls) who are living in BKK for 6+ months or whatever. Use their social circle which will certainly hook you up with some locals, and as long as you're overall a chill/cool guy of value to hang out with you should have no problem.

Yes, which is also why I'm asking about the kinds of people who go there. If it's a lot of retirees and fat German engineers looking for young Thai p00n, those people aren't so fun to be friends with. But you find good friends in a good city. What you say doesn't apply to cities like Rio or Buenos Aires or Paris...how come?

Friends can't save you from a boring city...

So I guess question

TRUTH! Preach brotha!

Quote: (02-02-2013 04:15 PM)jimmypa Wrote:  

So I guess question

TRUTH! Preach brotha!

Can you be more specific on what a good day in Bangkok looks like? I'm not being argumentative, just trying to find out. I've visited some real shitholes in the world and regretted being there.

In my opinion Tokyo, Paris, Rio, Buenos Aires, are exciting, interesting cities with lots to do.

Quote: (02-02-2013 04:35 PM)Bronze Age Pervert Wrote:  

Quote: (02-02-2013 04:15 PM)jimmypa Wrote:  

So I guess question

TRUTH! Preach brotha!

Can you be more specific on what a good day in Bangkok looks like? I'm not being argumentative, just trying to find out. I've visited some real shitholes in the world and regretted being there.

In my opinion Tokyo, Paris, Rio, Buenos Aires, are exciting, interesting cities with lots to do.

Seems to me....for someone that is planning on staying for an extended time....that you should focus more on the people of the country you are traveling to.

Try to find a local where there is a large supply of easily available hot women and whose culture meshes with your personality.

If you like hot women and partying....Colombia is an option.... the women are good in bed and great kissers.

Quote: (02-02-2013 03:37 PM)Bronze Age Pervert Wrote:  

Quote: (02-02-2013 12:13 PM)Cyclone Wrote:  

(02-02-2013, 07:32 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  Thanks for advice! My main concern about SE Asia is that life would get boring after a while...strip clubs/night clubs/etc. is there anything besides that? My worry is that Bangkok, etc. is like Mexico City or some Central America city: a big slummy shithole with trashy nightlife and not much to do outside that.

Yes, which is also why I'm asking about the kinds of people who go there. If it's a lot of retirees and fat German engineers looking for young Thai p00n, those people aren't so fun to be friends with. But you find good friends in a good city. What you say doesn't apply to cities like Rio or Buenos Aires or Paris...how come?

Friends can't save you from a boring city...

honestly, there is alot of that there. If it gets to you (it did for me) then that will be a factor. HOWEVER - also alot of cool guys and gals in BKK and Chiang Mai. Both are big hubs for entrepreneurs/freelancers / general interesting, weird and wonderful expats.

I met telecommuting consultants, western models, an ex olympic champion, freelancers, english teachers, guys who'd built up their fortunes in Asia... it's pretty damn cool.

You also get the fat german losers and their horrible skanky girlfriends and wives though. It is very much present - but it doesn't have to bother you.

In general though, I'd say compared to Tokyo, BKK does fall short. It's just not engaging in the same way. Thai life = work, eat, joke around, drink a beer or two, sleep. Repeat. Shop all day at weekend. you're totally right about "seen one temple, seen them all".

Tokyo is definitely more of an adventure, and has interesting, cultured, intellectual locals and events. So much crazy interesting shit in Tokyo...by and large, not so much in BKK. What I did like about it though, is every day you wake up, walk outside and find yourself in this exotic urban jungle. It's not cultured or cosmopolitan, but day-to-day life is usually an adventure, because it's still developing and very much a "street" culture - food stalls and markets on the streets everywhere. In Japan it's sterile. So it's still exciting... but just in a very different way.

Are you considering any second tier cities to get your money to go further?

Check out numbeo.com to see the costs of where you are staying.

if u can't find anything to do in Thailand then the rest of the world is going to be a giant let down...

Quote: (02-02-2013 03:09 AM)scotian Wrote:  

This topic is of particular interest to me as I'm deciding between the two regions as well to set up a home base in the next couple of years, my experience is limited to four months in Colombia and three in Thailand (I"m currently in Bangkok).

As for the women, I much prefer dating Latinas over Thai; I can speak to them in their own language and they love to dance, so the interaction is better. Even on a bad date with a Colombian, I get to practice my Spanish and salsa moves. The language barrier isn't as bad as I thought it would be in Thailand, especially BKK, you'll meet some girls who speak English fairly well, but I still prefer talking to girls in their own language.

Thailand is a lot safer than most places in SA, I haven't had any problems at all and you can walk around at night in most places and not worry about it, can't do that so much in Colombia.

As for things to do, there's lots in Thailand, especially up in Chiang Mai: train Muay Thai, fishing, kayaking, moto-cross, mountain biking, trekking, zip lining, etc. There's really good diving down south around the islands as well. Thailand excels when it comes to activities and things to do, this is what I liked best about the country, its well organized and prices are decent.

I eventually going to write a data sheet comparing Colombia to Thailand, I like both places a lot but for different reasons, its going to be hard to decide where to set up shop between the two.

I'm looking forward on your comparison between Colombia and Thailand and the pros and cons of each.

I'm looking to rent a nice Penthouse in Cali or Medellin and I'm open to the idea of partnering with someone to split the costs....could end up being a money maker if we ended up renting rooms to forum members.

Once again, most of the OP's concerns about risk come down to the lease term on accommodation in whatever city you're in, and maybe the cost of the flight there.

In many places in SEA you can get cheap (under $600 a month, maybe even 400) short term accommodation, which eliminates the risk of going to a city and checking it out. It's difficult to do this in Manila but can be done in other cities in Phils.

I'm also a little confused about what you're really looking for. Are you looking for an "exciting" place, or a "nice" place? Many parts of southeast asia are exciting, but they aren't particularly nice in terms of infrastructure, architecture (particularly phils) although they are relatively safe considering the poverty level (which can't be said for much of Latin America).

Why do people on here call Bangkok by its airport code "BKK"?, is it a forum only thing or do people in Bangkok also call it this?. Like calling New York "JFk".