rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

D.C. Sightseeing, Getting Around Town, Dining, etc.?

Hey fellas,

Just found out yesterday that a close relative of mine is moving to D.C. mid-summer. I'm planning a 7-10 day trip for August, since I've never spent any time in the nation's capital (only a 30-minute layover aboard Greyhound).

Thanks to this forum and a few blogs (notably Roosh's), I'm aware that the D.C. bang scene is absolute shit. So I'm going to concentrate this trip on sightseeing, ethnic dining, shit like that.

Here are some things I want to do while there
- Check out most of the museums and monuments at the Mall
- Visit Washington National Cathedral and the National Shrine
- See a Nationals MLB game
- Take the train to Baltimore for an afternoon Orioles game
- Visit the air and space museum at Dulles
- Visit Arlington National Cemetery
- Visit Six Flags America
- Visit the national aquarium and the Woodley Park Zoo

Is all of the above accessible by metro?

How efficient and safe is the metro system?

Where are good places in D.C. to have lunch? I'll be having most breakfasts and dinners with my relative, but will be spending most days sightseeing in D.C. by myself. Gotta eat a good, reasonably priced lunch every day. I love ethnic food, and I figure being in D.C. is a great way to try a lot of cuisines I have yet to experience.

What are some other good sights to see?

I'm planning on budgeting $60-$80 per day spending money, for most days. Two of three meals every day will be at home, and I'll be staying with my relative, so I really only need money for souvenirs, lunch, transportation, and getting into non-free attractions like Six Flags, MLB games, etc.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Quote: (01-26-2013 12:39 PM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

Hey fellas,

Just found out yesterday that a close relative of mine is moving to D.C. mid-summer. I'm planning a 7-10 day trip for August, since I've never spent any time in the nation's capital (only a 30-minute layover aboard Greyhound).

Thanks to this forum and a few blogs (notably Roosh's), I'm aware that the D.C. bang scene is absolute shit. So I'm going to concentrate this trip on sightseeing, ethnic dining, shit like that.

Here are some things I want to do while there
- Check out most of the museums and monuments at the Mall
- Visit Washington National Cathedral and the National Shrine
- See a Nationals MLB game
- Take the train to Baltimore for an afternoon Orioles game
- Visit the air and space museum at Dulles
- Visit Arlington National Cemetery
- Visit Six Flags America
- Visit the national aquarium and the Woodley Park Zoo

Is all of the above accessible by metro?

How efficient and safe is the metro system?

Where are good places in D.C. to have lunch? I'll be having most breakfasts and dinners with my relative, but will be spending most days sightseeing in D.C. by myself. Gotta eat.

What are some other good sights to see?

You can do all of the above by metro except 6 flags and the Dulles extension of the A&S museum. National cathedral is a little bit far from any metro stop, but you can take metro to Tenleytown stop and cab from there.

But don't be a stranger bro...just hit up the forum around the time you're here and I'm sure some guys will be up for a meet up.

Also, August is a shitty time to be in DC...gonna be humid as fuck, just fyi.

Quote: (01-26-2013 12:49 PM)Menace Wrote:  

But don't be a stranger bro...just hit up the forum around the time you're here and I'm sure some guys will be up for a meet up.

Also, August is a shitty time to be in DC...gonna be humid as fuck, just fyi.

[Image: lol.gif] I live in Cincinnati, the humidity/heat factor is quite similar. I usually tell people that in July, Cincinnati is 99% humidity, 99 degrees Fahrenheit.

In my OP I probably should have also said, under things I want to do - meet some more forum members! I've only met Lothario thus far. He's a cool cat. And I know there's a boatload of D.C.ers here.

Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.

Why are you going to the Air and Space in Dulles? Go to the one in DC. You won't regret it. Plus visit the Holocaust museum and Natural History museum

The Metro is excellent. It is integrated into Google Maps for the most part so all you have to do is buy a SmarTrip card (RFID), load it with money, and let Google Maps tell you which train/bus to take and where to pick it up. The staff tend to be pretty friendly, last time I was traveling after work some guy called me "gangster" when I asked him a question haha. I have never eye-witnessed any sort of fight or altercation there but it does happen from time to time.

There's a Smithsonian stop, and an Arlington Cemetery stop as well. Metro stations have LED displays that show when the next train is arriving, and in my experience it's usually 5 minutes or so in the central areas and 10 minutes or so at off-peak times or on the fringes.

Cuisine options in DC are so various that there's no point in me even describing them. Basically anything you want, you can find.

The Jefferson Memorial is my favorite, it's a little out of the way but I always go there once or twice when I stop by DC.

Riding a bus is $1.60, and riding Metrorail is typically $2-$3 but it varies based on your point of entry and point of exit. The costs can add up if you're riding public transit several times daily. You get a small discount for transfers.

Quote: (01-26-2013 04:12 PM)jammer Wrote:  

Why are you going to the Air and Space in Dulles? Go to the one in DC. You won't regret it. Plus visit the Holocaust museum and Natural History museum

I'm planning on visiting both of the air and space museums. The one in Dulles, among other things, is where the space shuttle Discovery is on display.

Also planning on visiting most of the other museums at the Mall - the Holocaust Museum, Natural History, Gallery of Art, etc.

Quote: (01-26-2013 04:24 PM)polymath Wrote:  

Cuisine options in DC are so various that there's no point in me even describing them. Basically anything you want, you can find.

Thanks for breaking down the metro.

Have you got any favorite restaurants in the main part of the city?

Just make sure to stand on the right of the metro escalators if you're just going to stand there and not move forward. Think of it like you do the roads and highways. Right is regular speed or slower, while left is passing lane and faster. Stand to the left or right of the metro car doors to let people off when the car comes to a stop and you are waiting to get on. You can play with your cell phone when you are not in these situations. Also, have your SmartTrip card out ready to go before you reach the turnstyles where the fare is subtracted from your card. These are just a few helpful tips to make you aware of the unspoken code tourists are not aware of.

As others have mentioned, August is dead in DC. Most of the workers that help run this magical government we have the in this great land of the free, home of the brave, leave town for recess and a few weeks of vacation.

Quote: (01-26-2013 04:29 PM)MSW2007 Wrote:  

Have you got any favorite restaurants in the main part of the city?

My personal downtown favorites are:
Nooshi at 19th & L - yeah, it's pan asian but it's well done pan asian.

Also, DC has stand out Ethiopian, Lebanese, and Vietnamese restaurants.

Go to Das Ethiopian in Georgetown.

For Lebanese, there is Lebanese Taverna. They have several locations.

For Vietnamese, there is NamViet, which has a location at Cleveland Park (near the Zoo) and in Clarendon.

Quote: (01-26-2013 08:18 PM)slothpiece Wrote:  

Just make sure to stand on the right of the metro escalators if you're just going to stand there and not move forward. Think of it like you do the roads and highways. Right is regular speed or slower, while left is passing lane and faster. Stand to the left or right of the metro car doors to let people off when the car comes to a stop and you are waiting to get on. You can play with your cell phone when you are not in these situations. Also, have your SmartTrip card out ready to go before you reach the turnstyles where the fare is subtracted from your card. These are just a few helpful tips to make you aware of the unspoken code tourists are not aware of.

As others have mentioned, August is dead in DC. Most of the workers that help run this magical government we have the in this great land of the free, home of the brave, leave town for recess and a few weeks of vacation.

Thanks for the additional metro tips.

I'm sure the lack of government workers will be more than made up for by the influx of summer tourism, but it's whatever to me. I'm just going to catch up with someone I haven't seen in a long time, and to satisfy my history nerd side by visiting the nation's capitol.

By the way, two questions for the moment

- Is it okay to bring a couple of cartons of cigarettes into D.C.? I've read that in at least one city, New York, there are stipulations regarding how much tobacco you can bring into the city - is there any such law in D.C.? I'll be travelling via Amtrak most likely.

- What's the best way to get to Dulles to visit and Air and Space Museum there?

For Sushi, I recommend Current (Connecticut Ave near Lucky Bar) or Zentan (Donovan House Hotel on Thomas Circle), but I think these recommendations are more dinner/evening affairs.

For Americana, Chef Geoffs (13th & Pennslyvania) is decent for lunch, also a fan of Ben's Chilli Bowl (U St inbetween 12th/13th).

Didn't really go out for lunch much during my time in D.C., so most of my recs are going to be for dinner/drinks, but as a previous poster mentioned, there are so many options to mention all of them.

MSW -

Check out this link. It is the Going Out Guide from the Washington Post. It really helped me out a lot when I moved here in 2012. This gives you daily ideas of events, restaurants, bars, museums, concerts etc...DC is not the best place to be chasing women but it's a cool town with a lot of other things to do!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/

An alternative to Amtrak or Greyhound would be http://www.megabus.com