rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Weight training and flexibility

Is it just me, or does a heavy weight training regime decrease your flexibility? I'm very new to free weights and heavy lifting and started the Stronglifts 5x5 programme mid December. The squats especially are really causing me some overall stiffness. Walking like I'm 80 years old or something after a workout. Well, maybe not that bed, but in that direction. This hasn't been a problem with previous (machine) workout programs.

I'm sure this must be a relatively common problem. Has anyone here on the board had this problem and found a solution? Yoga? Advanced stretching? Or maybe something else.

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about muscle soreness after you work out? If so that's normal. And it means you're doing it right.

Pain or loss of flexibility in your joints, however, is not good. That may be indicative of poor form.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Not really joints. Just feeling stiff overall. Like after you've overexerted yourself. Say the feeling you have the next day after you run 20 km, where you usually run 10 km.

I felt like this for the first 6 months after starting weight training

If I understand you right, you're feeling stiff after switching from a machine based program to a free weight program?

You're actually using different muscles now. Machines only exercise a certain range of muscles; that's why a lot of guys think free weights are better for you. Free weights hit the muscles the machines don't. So for some of your muscle groups you're basically like a dude who's never lifted before.

If it's not in your joints, I'd say it's just your body adapting to the new program. How long's it been going on?
BTW, are you drinking a protein shake? Those things have stuff in them that speeds recovery, and they're not that pricey. Most places will throw in a free shaker cup too, if they're any good. Hell, even CVS has them now at reasonable prices. There's some threads here on them you can look up, but I recommend Optimum Brand Casein. (You may already know this.)

When I first started lifting heavy, I felt the same way. My gym has free yoga classes and I started going to those on my off-days as a recovery session from lifting. It helped me open up and release a lot of the "tightness" and "decreased flexibility" I was feeling. These days though I do some stretching and foam rolling on my own and that is usually enough.

Foam Roller is excellent.

Try http://www.mobilitywod.com/
Lots of good techniques to improve your flexibility.

What you describe sounds like DoMS. Delayed onset muscle soreness, i.e.the soreness you get when you've busted your ass in the gym the day after.

That's normal. Welcome to the world of weights.

Foam roll before workouts. Check out videos from Eric Cressey on foam rolling on youtube and dynamic warm-ups and flexibility routines, he's one of the best in the business.

I don't do too much static stretching, just maybe on a few muscles after a workout. However I always foam roll before I workout and this makes a big difference.

I am getting into yoga. One thing to keep in mind is that when you stretch a muscle, the muscle is actually growing in length. To do this, nerves need to lengthen and additional muscle mass creates the longer length. Thus, stretching muscles also builds muscle mass.

Rico... Sauve....

Google ' doggcrapp facia stretching' this shit has helped my flexibility, recovery and muscle separation/shape very well.

Quote: (01-23-2013 12:03 PM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

Is it just me, or does a heavy weight training regime decrease your flexibility? I'm very new to free weights and heavy lifting and started the Stronglifts 5x5 programme mid December. The squats especially are really causing me some overall stiffness. Walking like I'm 80 years old or something after a workout. Well, maybe not that bed, but in that direction. This hasn't been a problem with previous (machine) workout programs.

I'm sure this must be a relatively common problem. Has anyone here on the board had this problem and found a solution? Yoga? Advanced stretching? Or maybe something else.

natural, if you don't work on flexibility and increase musculature you will stiffen up. I increased my kickboxing and mma style training and that kept me loose but I've also done yoga. You need to work at it constantly.

Quote: (01-23-2013 12:03 PM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

I had the same problem so I pm'd Hades for advice, this is what he told me and the streches he recommended worked, it had the effect of 'unlocking' me, I could move freely again and not like an old man:
Quote:Hades Wrote:

"Yep, I have a couple of good stretching exercises.

Now the big problem with stretching is that most people employ passive stretching, which I believe can cause injuries (especially for the knees). Generally I find that most people who show other folks how to stretch do not know how to stretch out the lower back and shoulder girdle properly.

Though if you lift already, the trifecta is good. This is straight out of Convict Conditioning II I think. The author designed these basic calisthenic type stretches in conjunction with mixed training or pure barbell training.

The bridge hold, the L-sit, and the twist hold respectively should cover all your bases.

This video tutorial ought to help considerably.

[/video]

Since twist holds are somewhat complicated, here's a good resource to learn how: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2012/07/19/twist-holds/

It's sort of harder than it looks I think."

Thanks for the advice everyone. The MobilityWOD site looks interesting.

Faust;
Yes I am having a post workout protein shake. Apparently it has more or less everything in it. Protein, assorted "stacks", glutamine, creatine, and all sorts of other *ine's. Also has a ridiculous amount of carbs/shake as well (it's a hardgainer type product).

Quote: (01-24-2013 11:35 AM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

Thanks for the advice everyone. The MobilityWOD site looks interesting.

Faust;
Yes I am having a post workout protein shake. Apparently it has more or less everything in it. Protein, assorted "stacks", glutamine, creatine, and all sorts of other *ine's. Also has a ridiculous amount of carbs/shake as well (it's a hardgainer type product).

Are you taking a multivitamin that contains a joint supplement? If not, Orange Triad is cheap and will do the trick. I'm actually trying to improve my flexibility too after seeing some strength and size gains in the gym, I may start doing Pilates again 1x a week or doing some other home based program.

"Avoid success at all costs."

Quote: (01-23-2013 06:03 PM)Sherman Wrote:  

I am getting into yoga. One thing to keep in mind is that when you stretch a muscle, the muscle is actually growing in length. To do this, nerves need to lengthen and additional muscle mass creates the longer length. Thus, stretching muscles also builds muscle mass.

Is this a joke?????