rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Career vs Lifestyle

Career vs Lifestyle

I was taking a look at classmates of mine who graduated from my university/grad school as I spent today being lazy and thinking back to memories of a younger time.

It was quite remarkable to behold. One classmate had become CEO of a multinational corporation with revenues in excess of $18 billion USD per year. Another is head of one of most successful computer/gaming companies in the world (games that all of us have heard of guaranteed). Others are Vice Presidents in Hollywood with the juice to green light major productions. The "lesser accomplished" are in senior positions at banks, law firms, corporations, and the like.

Personally, pursuing such careers never appealed to me, largely because I thought the sacrifice of having to punch the clock and be beholden to a location due to work seemed like slavery to me.

But I realize that when one chooses the mobile, global lifestyle, as I have, then one usually has to sacrifice advancement in mainstream careers for the most part. That's not to say you can't make money. I have, although certainly not at the level of many of my classmates.

In any case, I have no regrets and feel I've lived "an interesting life" so far. Certainly so interesting that my family and most friends can't even fathom what I do, how I do it, and what I'm doing "wandering" the world.

Career vs Lifestyle

You have some pretty accomplished friends if the "lesser accomplished" are at senior positions of banks and corporations.

Lifestyle is all that matters, and FUCK THE RAT RACE!

Looking to see what my former classmates are doing always puts a smile on my face. It doesn't matter if they're pulling $1mil a year. The "new rich" lifestyle is infinitely better.

Career vs Lifestyle

I guess you have might the right choices if you can look your old school mates who have gone so far and not feel any regret. Really good job!

But lifestyle is not always the opposite of rat race. It depends on the lifestyle. "Rat race" also gives some continuity and security, which many people want in their lives. No life style is objectively better than others, it's all subjective.

Career vs Lifestyle

After doing my thing for a few months online, I got bored and got a job in the financial industry where the pay is pretty decent. But the stress, the BS, the politics and waking up each day at 5 am and facing the fucking crowd in the subway each day to downtown, to the financial district, in a tight suit, where you have all kinds of weirdos standing within 20 centimeters of your face, some fat, some smelly and other mofos pushing you, is enough to make you want to kill someone by the time you get to the office. And how about the totally unreasonable expectations of management where they expect you to be an expert in something in less than 20 minutes is just driving me insane. I've had it, I'm going to quit that job and retire for ever from the fucking Rat Race in the next day or 2. I can't take that shit anymore. I'd much rather focus that time and energy on my own thing, my own businesses where I'm the one calling the shots and free to do whatever the hell I feel like doing. I won't have to wake up at 5am anymore, I won't have someone telling me when I can go for a measly 10 minute break and when to take my lunch regardless of whether I'm hungry or not. And all that for what? To see 50% of being eaten by taxes???? You've gotta be kidding me!!!!

That's the main reason I've been putting off indefinitely and it's more and more looking for good, law school, even tough I was accepted last year to it and had it deferred for this fall. As I've been saying it countless times, I'd take in a heart beat, making 5-10K online being totally mobile and free to roam the world as I please than to be a high paid lawyer making a high 6 figure but being over stressed in a life that I'd hate every second of it. Life is too short to waste it on useless things and to create unwanted stress in your life. Fuck the rate race, unplug from the slavery matrix and fight for your rights and dare to be different and to live your dreams and to live your life on your terms!!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but I feel a lot better now!

Cheers.[Image: smile.gif]

Career vs Lifestyle

Quote: (05-03-2010 11:53 AM)doriangray Wrote:  

But lifestyle is not always the opposite of rat race. It depends on the lifestyle. "Rat race" also gives some continuity and security, which many people want in their lives. No life style is objectively better than others, it's all subjective.

I once heard a very successful man say that
Quote:Quote:

in life, there are 2 doors, one is marked "Security" and the other is marked "Freedom". If you choose the door/path labelled "Security", you may well loose both. Instead, dare to go for "Freedom" and you will have both.
I believe that wiser words were rarely spoken. Specially in today's economy, there is no job security. I know people who have been at their "safe and secure" job of over 30 years and told one morning without any warning nor any ceremony that they're fired or no longer needed. It's a true tragedy nowadays to depend and base your and your family's well being on a J.O.B and the whims of some beancounter in accounting for whom you're more than expandable and replacable, regardless of your position, qualifications, skills and experiences. It's such a crime that money management, investing basics and how to avoid debt along inciting people to be more daring and encouraging them to build their own businesses are not made mandatory courses in high school. This is one of the reasons that today, the world economy is in such a dire situation. Only we, each of us individually can do something about it and not depend on anyone to help us, let alone the corporations or the governments.

Career vs Lifestyle

Quote: (05-04-2010 07:49 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Quote: (05-03-2010 11:53 AM)doriangray Wrote:  

I once heard a very successful man say that
Quote:Quote:

in life, there are 2 doors, one is marked "Security" and the other is marked "Freedom". If you choose the door/path labelled "Security", you may well loose both. Instead, dare to go for "Freedom" and you will have both.
I believe that wiser words were rarely spoken. Specially in today's economy, there is no job security. I know people who have been at their "safe and secure" job of over 30 years and told one morning without any warning nor any ceremony that they're fired or no longer needed. It's a true tragedy nowadays to depend and base your and your family's well being on a J.O.B and the whims of some beancounter in accounting for whom you're more than expandable and replacable, regardless of your position, qualifications, skills and experiences. It's such a crime that money management, investing basics and how to avoid debt along inciting people to be more daring and encouraging them to build their own businesses are not made mandatory courses in high school. This is one of the reasons that today, the world economy is in such a dire situation. Only we, each of us individually can do something about it and not depend on anyone to help us, let alone the corporations or the governments.

Well, what is Freedom to someone? Travelling on low budget in exotic countries? Or working home and then travellin on higher budget? I mean I get your point and I think we probably agree on this topic in general, but I don't like how you make it too simple "security VS freedom" issue, because both of these terms really depend on the definition and it's just not so black and white. Of course it sounds cooler when it's totally one versus the other..

I have been travelling a lot myself and I've been a bit surprised to found the conservative side in me wanting to go back home and to live "the normal life" for a while. I guess some kind of balanced combination is the best option. I mean, if we take this "freedom" as not having bonds to any people and any institutions anywhere, just travelling where the wind takes you etc, I don't think many people can actually do that and feel happy.

Oh, and I am totally with you on the subject of wealth management not being an obligatory course..

Career vs Lifestyle

Interesting topic. Yeah i think its about what suits you, what you want and how you want your life to be. I never worked in my life and although i can literally travel anywhere i want right now, i still want to be making my money on the side, i want to move to a location soon and run bigger businesses for 2 years and if i have time i may get a full time job in a big corporation, but im thinking longer term here, the more money i have the more freedom i will have to travel and to buy whatever i want. I dont think working for a big corporation for the rest of my life would make me happy, i would rather have my own business and stuff like that, i like to be in control of things and i think there is a high correlation between being free and being happy, running your business is almost like being free.

The success is being happy..some people make less than 500 dollars per month and they are the happiest people in the world.

Career vs Lifestyle

bumping this as I am facing a similar decision and would like more RVF input

Career vs Lifestyle

Every lifestyle needs a certain amount of money. Get that money then live your lifestyle

SourceConfusedomeone who's lived a more interesting life than most people but wishes he had more money

New Post:
Men’s Style Guide: For Guys Who Want to Get Laid

You aren't getting laid because you still believe in "game".

Here's how I went from being a 21-year-old, videogame-addicted, Asian virgin to banging too many girls to count (no PUA bs):

https://whiteknightrises.com/start-here

BTC: 1A5WUGDNGnsxGJ62CXadV6T2oapKfFu4T3
ETH: 0x9019d135dD1FFA06f0CC53C5942cBce806a943dd

(If I miss your reply PM me)