rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Stopping binge drinking?

Stopping binge drinking?

Hey everyone,

My problem is that about once a month (sometimes once a week) - I will drink a bottle of bourbon, and get totally wasted and (sometimes) blackout.

I am totally bored of this way of living since it causes alot of hassle for those around me. Anyway - I am putting a stop to it for this year.

Now - I enjoy the taste of bourbon too much to give it up. And to be honest - I really do feel on top of it now since I am really bored of wasting nights being drunk.

But I am curious as to how others have broken up a repeated cycle of binge drinking? I am sure it is a fairly common problem.

Would be interested to see how others tackled this. Cheers!

Stopping binge drinking?

I'm aiming to cut down on my binge drinking too. I don't usually get blackout, but I'll get pretty drunk and it hurts my game in the long run. I can either be super aggressive (good) or I'll start hating being out and about. I'm doing it to reduce calories more than anything.

Do not eat 6 hours or so before you drink. This means you should be planning when you're going to be drinking. Drinking on a completely empty stomach gets you fucked up quick. I only had to drink half as much as I normally did to get just as drunk, cutting down even more will lead me to a better drunk with less total alcohol.

Drink hard liquor only. You like burbon which is good. Drink it neat or on the rocks. If you drink it in a mixed drink there are not only more calories, but it doesn't taste as strong and you'll just drink more.

Have a 'predrink' of just one drink then drink on the way to your spot. I got fucked up on the bus last night on the way to a date. This is where you should bring a fixed volume mixed drink so you don't just keep pouring yourself another. When you get to the spot order a water. Finish that then order what you've been drinking. Your goal is to maintain a buzz while not looking like a non-drinking buzzkill. If you get good burbon then you'll enjoy the taste longer too.

In summary drink your liquor straight on an empty stomach, have one/two before you go a few on the way and another few at the bar. Make sure you plan out how much you're going to drink and when, if you have it set up like this you'll be less likely to keep pouring drinks and buying them at the bar.

Stopping binge drinking?

I disagree with WC on this.

I've tried to cut out hard-liqour completely as I know that when I drink too much whiskey too fast, my nasty Irish demons come out and I get into fights and a lot of trouble.

Also, don't drink by yourself at home or pregame.

I'd stick with low level alcohol like beer and try to get into dance floor game more.

Stopping binge drinking?

Quote: (01-05-2013 07:56 PM)cardguy Wrote:  

Hey everyone,

My problem is that about once a month (sometimes once a week) - I will drink a bottle of bourbon, and get totally wasted and (sometimes) blackout.

Are you doing this at home solo?

Or when you go out?

What is it doing to you that you don't like? ie fights, puking, doing stupid sh*t, wasting money, drugs, hookers, weesh girls?

Quote: (01-05-2013 08:26 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Do not eat 6 hours or so before you drink. This means you should be planning when you're going to be drinking. Drinking on a completely empty stomach gets you fucked up quick. I only had to drink half as much as I normally did to get just as drunk, cutting down even more will lead me to a better drunk with less total alcohol.

I guess it depends on the person, but I think this is dangerous.

I personally can't stand drinking on an empty stomach. Does me way wrong.

Stopping binge drinking?

I am not violent or anything when I go out and get drunk. It is just people get sick of me being totally wasted when everyone else is sober.

I just get totally hyperactive, and silly and controversial (alot of unPC Red Pill thinking comes spilling out). And then I wake up not remembering half of what happened. Luckily I don't get into fights - but you always run the chance of upsetting the wrong person.

To be honest. I am sure I am over this phase of my life (which has being on and off for the past ten years - I am 30 now). I need to replace one habit with another. I am a big reader. But sometimes I let that slip by getting out of the habit or being lazy. So - I am going to try and be more disciplined. No more getting drunk - and instead more time tearing through 800 page books.

And yeah. I get drunk on my own sometimes. I know. I'm a loser. It is just that I enjoy the intense feelings you get when you are drunk. I don't believe in god. But it is quite an intense spiritual feeling. Music sounds so good when you are drunk.

I guess I am a bit of an Aspie. But in a good way - I am sure I feel feelings (good and bad) more intensely than most people (I have no way of knowing of course). Which I guess can lead to alot of addictions and bad habits if not controlled. But it can be channelled for good as well. I am a real infovore. I spend about ten hours a day reading. And a night getting drunk leads me way behind on my reading.

I really enjoy the manosphere. But I don't go out gaming girls much (not my scene). So - alot of my experiences will be different to others here.

Cardguy

PS I am against drinking on an empty stomach as well.

Stopping binge drinking?

It starts with the first drink. I find whenever I drink too much, it's because 2 became 10. Make a conscious decision and say to yourself, "I will have none tonight" or "I will be drinking tonight."

Stopping binge drinking?

Three years ago I was a heavy drinker, and since quit. Yesterday a serious stress came up, and an old thought occurred; stress - time for a drink. Then I remembered how when I used to receive good news it was similar; elation - time for a drink! Or, boredom, time for a drink. Or, evening - time for a drink.

Everything was a trigger. Going out. Getting a haircut. Everything was reminder and a good reason to have a drink.

I really, really, really didn't want to give up drinking, as it was often fun, and seemed to help socially and creatively and in a lot of ways.

But it's nice to be able to have stress now without reaching for a bottle, or feel happiness without reaching for a celebratory drink. It's not as fun, but it's a lot simpler just to let it all go. Just let it slip into the past - something I used to do, but don't do anymore.

For me even six months sobriety wasn't enough to get the urge to drink out of my system. Took a few years.

Stopping binge drinking?

Eat a big meal before you drink, it'll soak up the alcohol and help keep you steady.

Take time with each drink--you might want to limit yourself to beer only. Give yourself the chance to "feel" each drink hit you before going on to the next one--usually 20 minutes or so.

Stopping binge drinking?

Quote: (01-05-2013 08:31 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Hey everyone,

Or when you go out?

What is it doing to you that you don't like? ie fights, puking, doing stupid sh*t, wasting money, drugs, hookers, weesh girls?

Drink on an empty stomach and you will get more fucked up.. why would you want that if your are trying to cut down?

Stopping binge drinking?

Quote: (01-06-2013 02:51 PM)soup Wrote:  

Quote: (01-05-2013 08:31 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Hey everyone,

Or when you go out?

Drink on an empty stomach and you will get more fucked up.. why would you want that if your are trying to cut down?

If you can't control the amount you drink then yes its bad, but if you have the willpower to only pour yourself a certain amount of drinks that is significantly less than what you'd normally drink then you'd be cutting down the volume of drinking and would get less drunk provided you didn't drink too much. I guess if you're asking the internet how not to drink you can't control the amount you drink in the first place.

Stopping binge drinking?

Dude... I think I know where you are coming from and if I am correct, "cutting back" is not going to be an option for you. You're gonna have to cut it out all together if you want to make a change.

I'm with xsplat on this one. Everything becomes an excuse or a reason to drink. Hapy--drink. Sad--drink. Had a great day--drink. Had a shyte day--drink. It starts to own you after a while.

If you don't want to stop altogether, I would make the following suggestions:
Make a rule for yourself and stick to it, such as, only drinking one or two nights a week.
Do not have alcohol in your home. If you do, you'll drink it. Just avoid having it at home on nights when you are not drinking.
The most important thing--keep yourself busy. Go to the gym. Complete all your chores. Clean house. Visit friends. Keep yourself moving around as much as possible and do things without booze.

The fact that you've identified a problem and it warrants a change is a sign that you really, really need to get this shit under wraps. If it is interfering with your life in this fashion, you may want to consider quitting altogether...

Stopping binge drinking?

I used to be a really heavy drinker in the years around 20. On any given night I could drink 12-15 beers (5cl, 7,2% alcohol). Some of the reasons I have pretty much stopped (can hardly remember the last time I was drunk now):

Anxiety, bad and persistent hangovers, not having as much fun going out, finding game, starting cold approaching (especially during daytime), realizing that drinking is not what I want to do in life and that it has a direct negative effect on the things I do want to do, not seeing many quality girls in bars, realizing being drunk hurt your chances with girls compared to if you have strong game, wasting too much money on alcohol, working out.

I now realize that I was probably drinking due to some issues from the past as well as putting off tacking some problems. With game, there is now no need to get drunk and I don't feel even even a slight pull to drink more than a few beers/drinks.

Stopping binge drinking?

i outgrew it. most do. i still get fucked up but not out of control drunk like i did in highschool, early college. jesus thinking of the shit i pulled it doesnt seem real to me.

Game/red pill article links

"Chicks dig power, men dig beauty, eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap, men are expendable, women are perishable." - Heartiste

Stopping binge drinking?

Dealing with alcohol can be very confusing, because we have a self conception that includes the notion of will power. We really should be able to simply decide how much to drink, and follow through - simple. And sometimes it works like that.

Maybe that's why it's said that only long term heavy drinkers understand the problems that long term heavy drinkers have. In practice it's not so simple as the theory. It's as if the alcohol has changed the part of you that has self control. When you are sober you might be able to reason that one drink won't hurt, but after one drink you'll reason that two won't hurt, and why be such a hard ass about the rules? It's all just for fun, and life is for living. Somehow things just sneak up on you, and so you re-group and get it under control, but then they sneak up on you again. So you regroup harder. But if you've been a heavy drinker for a great many years, the slippery slope is greased with two inches of lard.

It's as if the will power itself has been corrupted. For guys who've never experienced that they won't be able to empathize, and all they can think is that a guy who can't control his drinking is weak. Not manly. Not getting the job done. Well, does it really matter what adjectives you attach to the situation? A lot of people really do struggle, and the adjectives do nothing about it.

I would have never thought that it was not a simple of matter of making a decision about how much to drink. I have a long history of very intense self discipline. It never fit into my self conception that I'd be so weak that I had to quit altogether just to get it finally under real control.

Alcohol is a weird drug like that. Light drinkers or people who were not heavy drinkers for many consecutive years probably won't have the same struggle. It changes your brain, such that the person who is deciding not to drink isn't the same person - the alcohol is part of who is deciding.

There is a biophysical component to the craving and how the reward centers are activated by booze, and some research has been done into using a 4 mg dose of naltrexone at about 11 pm every night. That helps your brain to grow opioid receptors, if I remember correctly.

Stopping binge drinking?

For me it depends on which friends I'm with. I had to cut some friends out because of the way we react to each other when drinking. If I'm alone I can drink 3 beers and chill but with certain people I get kinda rowdy and cant control my drinking or actions. It has led to a lot of mistakes like fucking fat/ugly/crazy girls and branding myself, more than once. So my only solution for you is to remove yourself from that environment if you have to.

Stopping binge drinking?

i realized that it is not only about the alcohol, holding a drink or bottle is a occupation and you can cheer with somebody. next time order alcohol free beer/drink/beverage whatever.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.