rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Killer Mobile App will be Local Inventory

I've been thinking about this kind of thing since stomping around mid town Manhattan.

Now that I'm in Houston, it's even more obvious that a lot of these stores need to have their entire live inventory online, with prices, accessible to me, via a google maps product search local.

Of course this would require a massive build out and ramp up of local retails connectivity and unbelievable amount of social reengineering, but I can't not think that some one out there has a few hundred mill to spend.

WIA

I want an app that will do that and tell me exactly where it is in the store. Especially useful in places like home depot.

Quote: (12-31-2012 12:23 PM)Menace Wrote:  

I want an app that will do that and tell me exactly where it is in the store. Especially useful in places like home depot.

Someone else posted up that amazon was doing that with their warehouses. Instead of spending millions to organize, they just put stuff in a place, and remember where they put it. Probably using rfid.

That's something that the big box stores could do easily, a microscale gps.

I love the idea but I feel like that would be cost prohibitive for the average small business owner. That kind of real time inventory control is something I've only seen from the likes of Walmart, Target, Macy's, etc.

It will have to be tied to point of sale software.

Quote: (12-31-2012 05:13 PM)Blackmagic Wrote:  

I love the idea but I feel like that would be cost prohibitive for the average small business owner. That kind of real time inventory control is something I've only seen from the likes of Walmart, Target, Macy's, etc.

As the tech exists now, you're right. The administration of that for a typical bodega would be a nightmare. Lotta them spots have tens of thousands of items in their inventory, hundreds of SKU's...but that what the situation is in 2012.

Next level rfid integrated into upc's, just in time inventory, predictive stocking? That's going to make its way to 7-11, if they aren't already doing that now.

And I expect a bunch of SEO folks to play this too.

It's not about running to where the ball is, but where it will be.

WIA

The first stores to adopt it will have the advantage.