rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What's your story? Share your advice for living abroad

I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys. I'm going through what they call a "quarter life crisis"...in my 20s, working a corporate job, not sure what my next step should be. My #1 passion in life is traveling, and I've been fortunate enough to do a lot of that. However, what I really want is that experience of actually LIVING in another country, not just visiting for a week or so. I guess my first question is, how are so many of you guys able to just go and live in South America (or wherever) for a year? Are you students? Got sick of your job so you quit to go travel, supporting yourself on your savings? I'm curious to hear everyone's story, hoping they might inspire my next move.

I'm not so sick of my life here that I want to just get as far away as possible, but I do want to go abroad for a while and soak in that culture and learn a new language. At the same time, I don't want to blow through all the money I've worked so hard over the past few years to earn, as eventually I'd like to come back to the States and not have to start completely from scratch. I guess it's easier when you're in school 'cause you can just go study abroad for a semester, but my goals weren't the same back then so I didn't take that trip (one of my biggest regrets). Now that I'm in the working world things are a little trickier. I work for an international company so getting a transfer could be an option, but that requires having the language skills that are so hard to properly acquire in a classroom. I speak pretty good French but am more interested in having an adventure in South America, as so many people on this forum have done.

Anyway, I suppose the purpose of this thread is to share your own story and throw out any ideas on how to get away for a year or so without crippling one's finances. I'm sure you all have some good insight to share.

Thanks,

Li'l Seezie

Take a look where we all explain how we make a living/are able to travel.

Simple. Let the location-independent income flow, and the pussy (and adventures) will also flow. The moment the cash flow stops, the party is over and back to Blockbuster nights and saggy asses in Suburbia, USA you go.

You can't just be satisfied with a location-independent, USD-based income nowadays as well. Times are changing and you better also have your currency (and hard asset) hedges in place to shelter you in case the value of your income stream gets diminished dramatically compared to the local currency.

Quote: (04-07-2010 06:26 AM)kindredspirit Wrote:  

Simple. Let the location-independent income flow, and the pussy (and adventures) will also flow. The moment the cash flow stops, the party is over and back to Blockbuster nights and saggy asses in Suburbia, USA you go.

This is hilarious, and 110% true. Way to be succinct. Especially in the USA, where vacation time was never great and only getting worse for most people, significant travel can only be accomplished when income is location independent, or you work part of the time for a lot of money.

To the OP: pick up the new revised edition of The Four Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris, to start. With your aspirations, missing this guide would be foolish.

If you want an instant solution, go and teach in Korea or Japan for a year. Then take your savings and go to Southeast Asia for a month or three when your contract is up. Rinse and repeat. Lots of people follow this routine. Although the shine will likely wear off quickly in North Asia, the job will still give you an international lifestyle.

Sorry...didn't see that other thread. And thanks for the tips. If only teaching English in Latin America paid as well as it does in Asia!