rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Which American decade would you live in?

Inspired by this thread:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-18625.html

If you could time warp to a city and time period of your choice in American history, which would you choose and why?

LA/SoCal in the 70's gets an honourable mention from be, based on the era's portrayal in Education of a Bodybuilder.

NY in the 1940s came across as pretty dope in The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

But my top spot would have to be Chicago in the 1930s.

So: Where and when would you live?

Blog: Thumotic
Red Pill links: The Red Pill Review
Follow me on Twitter

I was born in San Francisco during the late 70's. I don't remember it at all, but from what I've heard, SF During the 70's was total and complete poosy paradise.

My pops lived around the corner from Henry Africa's for most of the 70's. Supposedly it was the first fern aka singles bar. My dad has told me on many occasions that the place was poosy paradise. Here's the wiki entry:

Fern bar is an American slang term for an upscale or preppy (or yuppie) bar or tavern catering to singles usually decorated with ferns or other "fussy" plants, as well as such decor as fake Tiffany lamps. The phrase came into common use in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

An early establishment that many consider the world's first fern bar, not to mention the birthplace of the lemon drop martini, was Henry Africa's in San Francisco, California. The bar was started in 1970 at Broadway and Polk Streets by out-of-work veteran Norman Hobday, who by his own account "took the opium-den atmosphere out of the saloons" in favor of "antique lamps and Grandma's living-room furniture." By some accounts Hobday copied the concept from another restaurant, Perry's, which opened several months earlier and was made famous as a singles "meet market" by Armistead Maupin's novel, Tales of the City.

Typical drinks served included wine spritzers, Lemon drop martinis, frozen daiquirís, Harvey Wallbangers, and piña coladas. Franchises sometimes labeled "fern bars" include T.G.I. Friday's, Bennigan's, and Houlihan's.

Fern bars were a gathering place for well-dressed "upscale" young men and women, initially during the sexual revolution of the 1970s and later the yuppie era of the 1980s. Frequenters were pejoratively felt to be more interested in seeing each other and being seen than in simply drinking and talking, as might be expected in a more typical dive bar.

The Puritan hated bear-baiting, not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators. - Thomas B. Macaulay

Rick Von Slonecker is tall, rich, good-looking, stupid, dishonest, conceited, a bully, liar, drunk and thief, an egomaniac, and probably psychotic. In short, highly attractive to women. - Whit Stillman

The 70's - 1870's! After the civil war, when the Industial Revolution took hold in America. A guy in his 20's with game back then would easily be able to get rich, build an empire, and have the world in the palm of his hand. You could buy anything, own politicians, travel the world and live like a king with a real exotic harem, one of everything. Your descendants today would still be rich.

Imperial Russia, 1870ish. Oh, in America? 1980s, NYC.

Admittedly, it's a tough question. You have to mentally separate yourself from all the comforts of today's age - and there are plenty we take for granted, not just the internet. Think of everything you have right now that you wouldn't have, be it basic clean water or medical knowledge.

Then again, maybe you'd be happier without all the knowledge. Something about increasing sorrow, right?

The thread is about American cities...but I would still want to be in Rio de Janeiro in the 1970s or 1980s.

I would go back to the 70s to assassinate Jim Jones with my bare hands. That story was on the news when I was 9 and messed my head up still to this day. As soon as time travel becomes a reality that's my first order of business.

Quote: (12-13-2012 11:03 AM)el mechanico Wrote:  

I would go back to the 70s to assassinate Jim Jones with my bare hands. That story was on the news when I was 9 and messed my head up still to this day. As soon as time travel becomes a reality that's my first order of business.

My mom actually worked with him & his family in Ukiah & she remembers them well - Interesting statement & I'm kind of wondering why it means so much to you - it affected a lot of people in my family but I was only one year old at the time...

The Puritan hated bear-baiting, not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators. - Thomas B. Macaulay

Rick Von Slonecker is tall, rich, good-looking, stupid, dishonest, conceited, a bully, liar, drunk and thief, an egomaniac, and probably psychotic. In short, highly attractive to women. - Whit Stillman

Interesting question, but there aren't many answers I can give. I'm a black male, and there really haven't been many decades in American history during which it was anything less than a severe disadvantage to belong to such a demographic.

That's not to downplay everyone else's answers in here. I can see plenty of benefits to becoming a part of many different eras in American history. The problem is that, were I to "time warp" into any of those eras myself, I wouldn't be able to enjoy any of them. I'm already living in the best ever time period to be me (or anyone who looks like me) in America, or the world.

If I had the ability to "time warp", I'd stay in the same era I'm in now and probably the same place. I would probably go back a few years and maybe undo some of the mistakes I made, but that would be it.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Question[Image: biggrin.gif]o I retain knowledge of the future?

If so I'd research the locations of goldmines, oil fields, etc and go get those motherfuckers.

I'd want to be born in 1956.

There'd be a cultural revolution in your childhood (60s). When you turned 16 it would be 1972. Disco, cocaine, parties. If you managed to stay alive for another 10 years you'd be 26 in 1982. New wave, cocaine, parties. You'd be 36 in 1992, still in prime gaming mode if you took care of yourself. I'd want to be that age before 9/11, before Facebook, before GW Bush fucked things up for 8 years.
You would be 51 when the iPhone comes out. By then hopefully settled down with an Estonian model living in a mansion in EE somewhere.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

I'd simply like to take all the knowledge I have now and go back to my 15 year old self.

Quote: (12-13-2012 02:53 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

There'd be a cultural revolution in your childhood (60s). When you turned 16 it would be 1972. Disco, cocaine, parties. If you managed to stay alive for another 10 years you'd be 26 in 1982. New wave, cocaine, parties. You'd be 36 in 1992, still in prime gaming mode if you took care of yourself. I'd want to be that age before 9/11, before Facebook, before GW Bush fucked things up for 8 years.
You would be 51 when the iPhone comes out. By then hopefully settled down with an Estonian model living in a mansion in EE somewhere.

Damn that's a good answer. What cities? LA?

1980s, Miami, South Florida.

Sadly, I was a baby in diapers chilling in Palm Beach watching MTV. My father and uncles were out smashing latinas and doing coke off European tits while listening to Flock of Seagulls. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I was around when Thriller first came out.

Runner up: My current generation. Born:1983-early 2000s.

Yeah, our music sucks. We really haven't offered anything of merit outside of the Obama presidency. 9/11,the war in Iraq, and the Great Recession will forever haunt me until old age. I'm sure Facebook will send most of the artistic talent around the world down the crap shoot.

However, we have very liberal attitudes towards sex, race, and politics. We are knowledgeable about a lot of things (thanks to the internet giving us access to a wide variety of information, and us being practically raised with a computer near us for most of our lives). We are less likely to put up with asshole managers. We have great skills with technology,and we are more interconnected than our parents were providing better opportunities to maintain social relationships.

So yeah, GENERATION Y B*TCHES!!!!

"before GW Bush fucked things up for 8 years."

Good thinking! After I'm done whooping Jim Jones's azz I'll go back further and fuck Prescott Bush's shit all up.

I hate to race troll but race is a big factor in this question.

If I was white - The 1970's

If I was black or brown - The Future

Asian - I don't know.

Quote: (12-13-2012 03:08 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Asian - I don't know.
What if you were a light skinned latino or Indian dude that dresses GQ?

Quote: (12-13-2012 03:09 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Asian - I don't know.

I would go back to the time when Greeks ruled the world!!!

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2ChwmF7BtxxU_mhfbUMb...4MI_K1YUQg]

Week long orgies!!!

Hellas!!!

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=16937&d=1341485079]

I was in college in the mid 90s when the AIDS scare was still full on.

I cant tell you the amount of closes I missed out on because of that and not having good game. Those bitches would just repeat that they heard that AIDS could still be transmitted with a condom on or oral sex.

Compare that to being in an American college campus in the 70s and 80s....or even now.

Quote: (12-13-2012 03:16 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

Asian - I don't know.

I would go back to the time when Greeks ruled the world!!!

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2ChwmF7BtxxU_mhfbUMb...4MI_K1YUQg]

Week long orgies!!!

Hellas!!!

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=16937&d=1341485079]

Yes Giovonny the greek nobles had great times, but that is assuming you were an aristocrat and not a helot. I think we all make that assumption when we think of ancient times [Image: idea.gif]

Asian - I don't know.

El Mech that will be around 2020. The future is ours lol.

Quote: (12-13-2012 02:58 PM)Fisto Wrote:  

Quote: (12-13-2012 02:53 PM)thedude3737 Wrote:  

Damn that's a good answer. What cities? LA?

Either LA or NY. Preferably both.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

This is kind of fucked up, but from a purely player's perspective, WWII in America was probably poosy paradise with all those lonely, young (because they got married earlier back then) girls whose husbands were off fighting overseas.

An avalanche of pussy if you could avoid going to war.

[Image: evil.gif]

Quote: (12-13-2012 04:02 PM)soup Wrote:  

This is kind of fucked up, but from a purely player's perspective, WWII in America was probably poosy paradise with all those lonely, young (because they got married earlier back then) girls whose husbands were off fighting overseas.

An avalanche of pussy if you could avoid going to war.

[Image: evil.gif]

If you didn't go to war, thats beta. Thats like anti pre selection.

The 80's ruled!

I'd go back to the early 1960's in Ohio in order to prevent the birth of Gloria Steinem, thus seriously crippling feminism and making Western women more feminine for many decades to come.