rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Time pieces

Time pieces

So a few years ago, when I first started doing well for myself financially I got the idea in my head that I wanted a nice watch. At first I was dead set on getting a Rolex as we all know that is the most prestigious brand of watch, or really the most well known. I decided that their was no way I would drop over 4 g's on the timepiece, and well if any of you are watch collectors you probably know that 4000 will not get you much in the world of Rolex. Their "Air King" models start at 4200 and in my opinion these are super weak, in style, size, etc., it seems like a watch made for a teenager, and most likely that's what rich bankers, lawyers, etc. by for their sons' 15th birthdays.

At this point I was thinking of getting a Rolex Seadweller or Mariner, because they are pretty much the dopest rolex you can get for a "reasonable price", but the old model that just got replaced this past year, used to retail at $7000, which was still a bit more than I wanted to spend on a watch. Then I started looking at the "second tier" brands such as Tag Heur, Breitling, Omega, etc., and saw that Omega made a watch that was almost identical to the Rolex Sea Dweller (the one I had my heart set on). I ended up taking the dive on this watch, the Omega Sea Master Planet Ocean: http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamas...anet-ocean .

I am totally stocked on this watch, I actually like the way it looks more than the Rolex, and have done my research on both watches, the Omega SeaMaster is basically equal to or superior then the Rolex in almost every way. It cost me over half the price of the Rolex, so I figure you're basically just paying twice as much just to have the status of the name "Rolex". I will put that $3500 saved to good use on a nice trip abroad. Anyways, just wanted to share my love for this watch, and wonder if anyone else here is a fan of nice watches. I know some how a lot of men get hooked on buying watches, and it becomes an obcession or addiction for them. I think I will try to withhold buying another watch as I am completely in love with my Planet Ocean, but I did see a few Breitlings that got me thinking...

Time pieces

Rolex is not the best nor most prestigious watch, it is the most well known, I don't really know why, in the US psyche.
The best and more exclusive swiss brands are small enough to be unknown for even casual collectors and their entry prices are at least EUR 20000

Additionally, Tag Heuer, Omega, Breitling can't be considered second tier to Rolex.

Time pieces

Actually, Richard Mille has the most bad ass watches.

Starting price: $85,000.00USD * eighty five thousand * (you read that right).

NO DIAMONDS OR BLING! you are paying near 100K for pure craftsmanship and mechanics.

http://www.richardmille.com

Rolex is garbage!

Time pieces

haha 85 grand is a nice down payment on a 5 or 6 bedroom house.

I understand why people buy status symbols. I just can't see myself doing it.

Time pieces

Quote: (04-04-2010 10:31 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

Same here. But life is too short to be dancing with fat chicks. So if it makes you happy go for it..

Rob

Time pieces

Never heard of Richard Mille, just checked out his watches, definitely not feeling the way they look. I don't know if I'd rock one even if it was free.

Time pieces

I dont even wear a watch, since its a jewelry now and I use my cell phone to tell time...

Dont like those watches too much, I kinda like some of the oakley watches http://img88.imageshack.us/i/aafj9.jpg/ but they are more about design than the $$$ which kinda seems silly unless you really are made of money.. or are in an environment where people appreciate a rolex.

Time pieces

Quote: (04-04-2010 11:07 PM)loosewin Wrote:  

Same here. But life is too short to be dancing with fat chicks. So if it makes you happy go for it..

I actually just saw a special on TLC about skinny men (feeders) who WORSHIP morbidly obese women (eaters).

There are actually special dance nightclubs that cater to this type of fetish.

To these guys, dancing with fat chicks is the only life possible.

Time pieces

Quote: (04-04-2010 11:07 PM)loosewin Wrote:  

Quote: (04-04-2010 10:31 PM)UgSlayer Wrote:  

Forget a down payment on a house in the US with 85k. Instead. Save 100k abs buy a house cash in south America where you will be worshipped by Latinas, and have no mortgage.

Lots of pussy with no debt. That's the life for me!!

Time pieces

"haha 85 grand is a nice down payment on a 5 or 6 bedroom house. "

Or a small down payment on a condo in Southern California.

"Instead. Save 100k abs buy a house cash in south America where you will be worshipped by Latinas, and have no mortgage."

That's a good tip.

Here is a good "Guest Manifesto" on Watches:

Guest Manifesto: Time Is Of The Essence http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2009/04/gue...sence.html

Time pieces

Hey Manifesto,

Thanks for the follow up, with the link, I figured an O.G. like yourself would appreciate a nice timepiece.

Time pieces

Oh yeah, I should add I like how your guest G says that a nice timepiece needs to be versatile for a man on the go, who wants to be rocking a $80,000 watch if you are constantly going to be worried about banging it up, or worse yet getting jacked by some thugs in the wrong hood.

Time pieces

I used to wear a watch now I don´t. I simply stoped using them after getting used to my mobile phone. Sometimes when I have a special event I wear an old Tissot from my grandfather.

Time pieces

Rolexes are overpriced and a lot of the price comes from the jewelry, not the actual quality of the mechanics. If you're looking to spend on a nice Swiss mechanical watch with quality movements, look at: Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, IWC, Breguet, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Nardin and a few others.

Time pieces

Before I started learning The Game I used to look at my watch all the time as a nervous habit. So one day I just quit wearing one and never looked back. I really don't miss wearing one.

That said, I was going to pick up a genuine-faux (love that late night tv add term genuine fake!) Rolex in the Philippines when I go tommorow but after looking at Rolex's site I think they're all pretty clunky and bland looking.

Even if I have the means there's no way I'm spending $7000 or more on a watch unless it has a laser like Bond's in Never Say Never Again or a detector that points out Rich Perfect 10s ovulating and easy. ;-)
For those times I REALLY need a watch I have a very stylish Lucien Piccard that's functional and easy to read and comfortable.