rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Buzzing Your Head

Buzzing Your Head

Any of you gentleman routinely take a clipper to your dome? My hair is thinning in the front and while I do prefer the idea of keeping my hair for as long as possible, I may have to come to the realization that it's time to start letting go and accepting it isn't going to improve. The one plus is I won't miss shelling out $30 every 3 or so weeks for a haircut. I've tried things like Biotin and Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins with no results. Which clipper do you guys use or recommend for such a task? Do you use your face wash for your scalp or did you stick with shampoo? What's your technique when buzzing your head? All tips are appreciated.

Buzzing Your Head

How close to the scalp do you want to buzz? Using a normal pair of clippers with no guard will give you a 'stubble' look, and it's easy to maintain. Just cut once or twice a week.

Buzzing Your Head

Quote: (11-25-2012 07:30 PM)_GQ_ Wrote:  

How close to the scalp do you want to buzz? Using a normal pair of clippers with no guard will give you a 'stubble' look, and it's easy to maintain. Just cut once or twice a week.

Probably slightly longer than stubble. I guess maybe with a #1 guard.

Buzzing Your Head

Ahh gotcha. Personally, I'd recommend going for the no guard if you're fit. Grow stubble/light beard too.

Buzzing Your Head

It's not hard to cut your own hair with clippers at all. Like anything else you've never done before it just takes some practice and experience. I've been doing mine for years, #1 clipper on top, #4 on the sides.

Pick a spot where you can sweep the hair up, it will get everywhere. I do mine in the basement in front of a mirror and take a shower afterwards. If it doesn't come out perfect I hit it up again a day or two later. Every two weeks I cut it, sometimes once a week.

The hardest part is the back, only because you can't see it but with enough practice you can do it by feel. I use a razor to shave the back of my neck, again by feel. You also have to keep the hair around your ears trimmed depending how you want it to look. It's not hard at all, just gotta give it a shot.

I've had two accidents, the very first time I tried it I held the clipper wrong and the first strip was all the way to the scalp so I had to go with a buzz cut. Over the summer I mixed up the guard color (light blue instead of dark blue) and gave myself another buzz cut, no big deal.

I trust myself a lot more than some chick right out of cosmetology school BUT if you can afford somebody who knows what they are doing, has experience and can tell you how to maintain your hair it's worth paying for. I just like the convenience of being able to do it myself whenever I want and I laugh whenever I get compliments, people don't believe me when I tell them I did it myself.

Buzzing Your Head

Quote: (11-25-2012 08:04 PM)painter Wrote:  

It's not hard to cut your own hair with clippers at all. Like anything else you've never done before it just takes some practice and experience. I've been doing mine for years, #1 clipper on top, #4 on the sides.

Pick a spot where you can sweep the hair up, it will get everywhere. I do mine in the basement in front of a mirror and take a shower afterwards. If it doesn't come out perfect I hit it up again a day or two later. Every two weeks I cut it, sometimes once a week.

The hardest part is the back, only because you can't see it but with enough practice you can do it by feel. I use a razor to shave the back of my neck, again by feel. You also have to keep the hair around your ears trimmed depending how you want it to look. It's not hard at all, just gotta give it a shot.

I've had two accidents, the very first time I tried it I held the clipper wrong and the first strip was all the way to the scalp so I had to go with a buzz cut. Over the summer I mixed up the guard color (light blue instead of dark blue) and gave myself another buzz cut, no big deal.

I trust myself a lot more than some chick right out of cosmetology school BUT if you can afford somebody who knows what they are doing, has experience and can tell you how to maintain your hair it's worth paying for. I just like the convenience of being able to do it myself whenever I want and I laugh whenever I get compliments, people don't believe me when I tell them I did it myself.

Good advice, painter. Thanks!

Buzzing Your Head

I buzzed it for years with a 2 on the sides and 5 on top. Very easy to do after the first 2-3 times you do it. You need to hold one of those smallish cosmetic mirrors in one hand and the clippers with the other to get the back. that's - and holding the clippers in your nondominant hand - are the only 2 hard parts that take some getting used to.

the wahls are good. a good kit can be had on ebay for less than 20-30 new.

unless you're using a blade, no lotion or gel is needed when using clippers. in fact, they perform best on dry hair.

Buzzing Your Head

I try do give myself a half or 1 all over every week. Sometimes I get lazy and do it every other week. I only use my bathroom mirror for the front and just run the clippers over my neck and back of my head over and over and over until it feels even. Wahl are good clippers.

Buzzing Your Head

Thanks HiFlo and Houston. I'll grab a set of Wahl clippers and give it a shot. Hopefully I don't fuck it up.

Buzzing Your Head

Be sure to put oil on them after every use or they wont cut right. I have very thick hair and they would get all caught up in it when I didn't use oil. Now, I use it and I can go months without cutting my hair and they slide through like nothing when it's that time. Use the little brush also periodically during your session.

Buzzing Your Head

Yo,

I've been using clippers to cut my own hair for the past three years. It's easy, but if you have thick hair like me you'll want a good set of clippers. I recently bought the "Andis 24145 Speed Master 2 Clipper, Chrome" from Amazon, and I like it because the construction is solid, the blade stays cool, and it doesn't jam if I push it too quickly through my hair. I recommend it.

Buzzing Your Head

Quote: (11-25-2012 08:39 PM)houston Wrote:  

Be sure to put oil on them after every use or they wont cut right. I have very thick hair and they would get all caught up in it when I didn't use oil. Now, I use it and I can go months without cutting my hair and they slide through like nothing when it's that time. Use the little brush also periodically during your session.

Yeah, I have a small trimmer that I use for my sideburns or to trim the hair on my face when I don't wanna shave with a blade. I have to oil them periodically as well so I'm familiar with that process. Thanks.

Buzzing Your Head

I've been buzzing my own hair for like 12+ years. Saved at least $3-4k by now. I do a 3, clipper guard up everywhere except edges, where I do 3 and clipper guard down. I have no balding (knock on wood) but just prefer the look and ease of it.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Buzzing Your Head

Quote: (11-25-2012 08:40 PM)polymath Wrote:  

Yo,

I've been using clippers to cut my own hair for the past three years. It's easy, but if you have thick hair like me you'll want a good set of clippers. I recently bought the "Andis 24145 Speed Master 2 Clipper, Chrome" from Amazon, and I like it because the construction is solid, the blade stays cool, and it doesn't jam if I push it too quickly through my hair. I recommend it.

I just ordered a pair of Wahls online. Literally 5 minutes ago. The Chrome Pro set for $35. If they don't work out I'll give the Andis model a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

Buzzing Your Head

I have Wahl balding clippers that I had used for the past year but just recently decided to grow it back out.

Buzzing Your Head

I wouldn't invest a ton. I've only gone through maybe 2 sets of clippers in 12 years using them every 2-3 weeks...and I get the $30 dollar wal mart ones. I have pretty thick hair too. Just go slow when you use it and oil the moving parts occasionally.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"

Buzzing Your Head

I cut my own hair as well. 7on top 6 on the sides and back. Sometimes I mess up my sideburns. I like to take a comb and the small sideburns clippers and do a slight fade.

I use Wahl as well.

For my face I use iStubble. I enjoy mixing up my facial hair and that tool allows me to do that. I can go through two or three different styles in a week.

Buzzing Your Head

Quote: (11-25-2012 10:28 PM)kickboxer Wrote:  

For my face I use iStubble.

I saw that thing at a local store and considered buying it. But for $60 I was unsure if I would use it enough to really justify purchasing it. Though I do like the stubble look at times. So it's worth the money? Also, I notice a lot of you guys are using longer guide combs on your clippers (#4-7). Doesn't that create more room for mistakes? I mean if you're buzzing your head with no guard or a #1 even if a mistake is made it's so short it would be tough to spot. What's up with the little lever on the side of the clippers by the way?

Buzzing Your Head

I think the lever creates a textured look.

I bought mine for $49 at a grocery store. I'd say it's worth the money. I'm sure there are cheaper options than the iStubble.

For the longest time I used the sideburns trimmer on my face. All you can really do with that is keep a permanent five O'clock shadow though.

iStubble lets me go from this

[Image: bin_laden_family_09.jpg]

to this

[Image: rmartin.jpg]

to this

[Image: jakevote1.jpg]