rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Filing A False Wireless Insurance Claim

Any thoughts on this? Long story short about 4 years ago Verizon railroaded me for about $1,300 over some bogus charges they eventually admitted weren't my fault. I paid the $1,300 after they eventually decreased it from $4,000, but I swore revenge a long time ago and am ready to collect. I just got an iPhone 5 and love it. It's amazing. I want another one. I would have to file a claim with Asurion. I've done the math and have paid over $900 over the last 7 years for insurance I have never used. I've never opened a claim before. So my question to you guys is, how should I go about this? I'm still gonna have to pay $200 towards the deductible on my insurance. Sure beats the $640 the phone would cost me retail. I wanna either sell the new one of keep it as a backup. However, I don't want to have to stop using the phone I have now. Would Verizon make an attempt to deactivate the phone I have now once Asurion sends me the new one? I have no idea how this shit works. What's the best way to achieve success when filing a claim? What should I say happened to my current phone? Thanks fellas.

I thought iphones weren't insurable?

oh, i guess they are. didn't know that.

You'll still have to pay a $170 deductible it looks like + probably file a police report. They'll blacklist the phone if you report it stolen so you can't reactivate it. i think you can claim it lost...but they will probably blacklist it still.

Quote: (11-16-2012 07:07 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

I thought iphones weren't insurable?

No sir. I have insurance for $9 per month currently.

verizon doesn't have sim card like sprint right?
then they will put a stop on your used phone so you wouldn't be able to sell it anyways (unless you want to scam the guy)

Quote: (11-16-2012 07:10 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

oh, i guess they are. didn't know that.

You'll still have to pay a $170 deductible it looks like + probably file a police report. They'll blacklist the phone if you report it stolen so you can't reactivate it. i think you can claim it lost...but they will probably blacklist it still.

I'm not gonna involve the police. That would be a huge error. I'm not gonna file a false police report.

They'll blacklist the phone if you report it stolen so you can't reactivate it. i think you can claim it lost...but they will probably blacklist it still.

Correct. If it's an insurance claim, the old phone will get blacklisted no matter what. Not going to work.

Quote: (11-16-2012 07:11 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

verizon doesn't have sim card like sprint right?
then they will put a stop on your used phone so you wouldn't be able to sell it anyways (unless you want to scam the guy)

Yeah. It has a pre-installed nano sim.

Quote: (11-16-2012 07:12 PM)IQVX Wrote:  

They'll blacklist the phone if you report it stolen so you can't reactivate it. i think you can claim it lost...but they will probably blacklist it still.

Correct. If it's an insurance claim, the old phone will get blacklisted no matter what. Not going to work.

Who said anything about reporting it stolen? I was thinking more along the lines of I dropped it and now it works sporadically. Or I drove away with it on the roof of my car and it fell to the ground and isn't responsive.

I know people have pulled this off before. I just need the details. I was thinking something like I dropped the first one, it broke, then I decided to have it fixed later on by a third party on my own dime.. Wouldn't work?

If you have it fixed by a third party you will void your insurance coverage. In order for you to get a new (well, refurbished) phone, you need to give them your current one unless you claim it was lost/stolen. They will attempt to fix it, and if they can't they'll send you a new one.

I've frequently sent my phone back for repair/replacement under warranty and they always took back the bad phone.

The only scenario I could see is you claim its lost. You get your new phone...then down the line you magically "find" it, but you would have to be able to convince the agent to unlock it without a penalty.

Quote: (11-16-2012 07:36 PM)PartyonBro Wrote:  

If you have it fixed by a third party you will void your insurance coverage. In order for you to get a new (well, refurbished) phone, you need to give them your current one unless you claim it was lost/stolen. They will attempt to fix it, and if they can't they'll send you a new one.

I've frequently sent my phone back for repair/replacement under warranty and they always took back the bad phone.

The only scenario I could see is you claim its lost. You get your new phone...then down the line you magically "find" it, but you would have to be able to convince the agent to unlock it without a penalty.

Long story short my buddy upgrades through VZW for a 32G iPhone 5 and then decides to sell it because someone gave him an unopened iPhone 4 for like $50. He figures he can sell the 5 for like $900 online at Craigslist. He gets a bite and finds a supposed buyer. Guy gave him fake bills. I have no idea how he fell for that, but he did. So he calls VZW to report it stolen, they push him through to Asurion, who then (after the $200 deductible) overnight him a brand new sealed iPhone 5. I couldn't believe it. No police report required either. If it was a refurbished device I wouldn't bother, but this is brand new factory sealed shit we're talking here. This is what got my mind spinning. Is it really that easy? As far as I know neither VZW or Asurion are making an attempt to either recover or deactivate the old device.

yeah, its a new device so not many refurbs come back....but I believe its within their rights to give you refurbed devices. I've actually been upgraded to better brand new devices several times in the past, its all how well you can sell yourself I guess. phone probably got locked up...but I'm not sure...on Verizon the SIM card is unlocked too....i'm not sure how it works with them in that regards but their ID number for the phone gets blacklisted.

So you can really lock an iPhone remotely so that it can never ever be used, really? Even if jailbroken?

Quote: (11-16-2012 07:05 PM)CMan0928 Wrote:  

Any thoughts on this?

Yep. I have one thought: if you're going to commit a crime, don't talk about it. Don't discuss it with anyone, and if you must, don't do it on public forums. Especially if you're naive enough to use the same account on multiple web sites, which could be found by googling your nick.

Quote: (11-16-2012 10:44 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Any thoughts on this?

Yep. I have one thought: if you're going to commit a crime, don't talk about it. Don't discuss it with anyone, and if you must, don't do it on public forums. Especially if you're naive enough to use the same account on multiple web sites, which could be found by googling your nick.

Nah, I doubt they look that closely into it. I don't use this name anywhere else, but I think that's irrelevant anyways. I need some tips. Neither VZW nor the insurance company can track this back to me. And if they were to put in the work to in fact catch me by my own admission in an online forum, then I guess they deserve to get me red handed.

Quote: (11-16-2012 10:51 PM)CMan0928 Wrote:  

Quote: (11-16-2012 10:44 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Any thoughts on this?

Nah, I doubt they look that closely into it. I don't use this name anywhere else, but I think that's irrelevant anyways. I need some tips. Neither VZW nor the insurance company can track this back to me. And if they were to put in the work to in fact catch me by my own admission in an online forum, then I guess they deserve to get me red handed.

Actually I may have used this nickname elsewhere. But nothing that could come directly back to me. I just Googled my handle here and 2 of the 10 that came back were me. An old POF account and a Bodybuilding.com account. Apparently there are other CMan0928's out there.

And Basenotes lol. Okay point taken.

Get some thermite. Find the nearest cell phone tower. Apply liberally to the base support. That'll teach the bastards.

Quote: (11-17-2012 11:26 AM)painter Wrote:  

Get some thermite. Find the nearest cell phone tower. Apply liberally to the base support. That'll teach the bastards.

I like it.

Quote: (11-16-2012 10:51 PM)CMan0928 Wrote:  

There are typically two kinds of people who got caught with things like insurance fraud: those who're really greedy, and those who do really stupid things which make it really easy to caught them. Yeah, there is a lot of crimes happening online, but those hardcore criminals are much harder to caught, so they're ignored until they either become too much pain in the ass, or make some mistake. Figuring out a case like yours would probably take less than a two day's work of a detective's time, with the conviction pretty much guaranteed and little chance to get shot like if they went after some dope dealers. So those cases are indeed attractive to some officers.

And you think it is difficult to track you? If you still use that POF account, the only thing an investigator needs to get your phone number is to create a female profile with some cute pictures and contact you. Don't underestimate them.