rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Creating an Original Business/App Name

I have racked my brain for weeks for a short and sharp name. I read somewhere that under 11 characters is essential. I don't necessarily want it directly related to the App's function. I've tried random word generators to no avail (?unless there are better ones you know of).

Does anyone know a good resource I can use to establish an original name?

Would you pay someone or get focus groups to assist you?

If you're not growing, you're dying.

It either matters alot (e.g. name reflects the branding or app function), or it doesnt matter at all.

If it matters alot, then read a little bit about branding and go from there. From my very newbie understanding, Brand = the position you take, the unique feel you want your offer to have. So you need a name that captures that. Some apps seem to use names that reflect the function... DropBox( drop files in the box) Evernote (wherever you are, take a note, also keep the note forever, etc) the game Plague, etc.

If it doesn't matter, and the app is gonna just stand or fall on its merits and marketing, then just come up with nonsense that you like. Xoopla. XoomRush. BopTop. Or just a word you like, like Uber or Tumblr or Mashable or something.

Also if you want a website for it, take into account what domain names are actually available.

-It has to be memorable. Whenever I have to choose a name for a site or product, I try what I call the bumpersticker test. If I saw that name on a bumpersticker while driving, would I remember it still by the time I got home?

-It has to be somewhat pronounceable, or at least enough so that you wont need to spell it out if saying it out loud.

For example: MySite.com is OK. MaiZyte.com is not.

- Dont fret it too much. Look at Tumblr, look at Twitter, Flickr, Salon.com, Google... even RooshVForum. Whats in a name? Could you tell what they do just by reading the name?

-RichieP is right. Take into account the names that are actually available. And, given the choice between the domain that you want on .net, and one that you dont want that much on .com, always take the .com.

-While you are at it, check that the name you end up choosing is also available in Twitter and other sites.