rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best Times/Places to Buy Clothing

After reading the Style thread, I have a lot of ideas for the items that I want to build my wardrobe. Basically, I am looking for the classic, GQ look (dress shirt, blazer, suit, etc.)

I was thinking either Black Friday (although I'm not too excited about overcrowded stores) or after Christmas time.

Do you guys know when the best deals are?

I am in NYC by the way. So if you guys know of any good places to get those sort of items (for reasonable prices), let me know, because I only know of places like Zara, Century 21, etc...Thanks in advance!

(Maybe if we can compile a list for all the best places to buy for each major city, we can make this useful for everybody.)

January. all the sales go crazy good at that time. Clearance.

If you're in NY, check out Uniqlo. I haven't shopped there but people seem to really like it, its like a Japanese version of H&M.

there is an H&M in NYC I believe, and I think a Zara's too.

Nordstrom's closet?

Those places are staples for the classic GQ look on a budget.

Target is awesome too for certain young men styles.

If you sign up for Banana Republic newsletter they usually send out a 40% off one item every wednesday. Or go to a BR store and then buy something only to return it a few days later. They will give you a coupon for that month or the next one which gives you 40% off one item every Wednesday.

Dappered.com usually posts a lot of good links to clothing sales each week. If you go to their forum they have a thread called deals around the web where you can find where there online sales going on.
Neimanmarcus Last Call online usually will do a 40% of one item sale each month.
Other good places online are sierratradingpost.com.
Moderntailor.com is great for made to measure shirts if the fabric you want is on sale. I've got a shirt from them and am pretty happy with it.
canvas.landsend.com is great for a more prep modern look.

aren't there a shitload of outlet stores in the US?

Just buy smart. And after christmas on sales.

Also, check for clothes on the stores and buy in amazon.

Amazon Prime. Discount plus free 2nd day shipping.

Get a Macy's card. They'll send you mad coupons in the mail.

Team Nachos

Other than the custom suits which I wear (please no custom suit jokes), I buy most of my clothes at Nordstrom Rack. There is a Nordstrom Rack in Manhattan on East 13th Street. I can't say that the Manhattan store is one of the best or one of the worst Nordstrom Racks which I have been to. I often have to go to several Nordstrom Rack stores to find what I need. I used to much prefer Syms to Nordstrom Rack. I believe Syms recently shut down all of their stores. Once in a great while, I buy things at Burlington Coat Factory, however, the vast majority of the clothes which they sell at Burlington Coat Factory are things that I would never wear. I only go to stores like Macy's to look at things which I may want to buy elsewhere at a better price. I never buy anything at outlets. The stuff from outlets never seems to fit right. After Christmas is obviously a good time to buy clothes. I know a guy who does very good work on custom suits and is surprisingly inexpensive. He doesn't have a website and I really don't want to broadcast his phone number all over the internet, so if you are interested, P.M. me.

If you want to be stylish, google superfuture, and grab one of their pdf's or maps.

WIA

If you are in NYC then you must know about Woodbury Common outlet, some of the best shopping I have seen in North America.
Valentino, Gucci, Giorgio Armani, Boss, Zegna and a really cool English shop for dress shirts called Thomas Pink. Those are some of my favourites but there are many more.
I found Century 21 has gone downhill a bit over the years.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

When I was on the upper east side there was a second hand place call Gary's that always had quality stuff. It is a consignment place so someone brings in a suit to sell and the store takes half and you get the other half. They only take HIGH QUALITY items. I brought in a 1 year old $800 Hugo boss suit that someone bought for $225.

It is on 80th between first and second ave.

Shopstyle.com is good. It aggregates from all types of clothing websites so you can search deals from sites like Polo, Nordstrom, and Barneys all at once.

+1 on uniglo in nyc
heard a lot about woodbury outlet...will check it this year

also like the shop ODIN in nyc

I always hear that you can find tons of second hand clothing items at NYC thrift stores so you might give that a shot. Another good thing to do is to get on the mailing list of any store that carries clothes in the style you are looking for. For example, a buddy of mine picked up an overcoat and 3 blazers in a buy 1 get 3 free sale at Jos A Banks a few days ago because he got an email from them.

I've also found that a great time to get clothes is right after they go "out of season". Unless you are an extremely fashion forward guy, the styles won't change too often.

Once you know your size or have a good tailor you can also hit the online stores, especially if there is a particular item you are looking for.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I shall be hitting up some of these places soon, as well as looking for my "go-to" tailor.

Shop midseason. It's when most retail stores are clearing out their inventory to make room for the next season. On top of that, midseason sales at outlet stores like J Crew Factory and Norstrom Rack are golden.

Men's Style Consultant
http://www.masculine-style.com
The better you dress the worse you can behave.

Quote: (11-14-2012 04:10 PM)tstyle Wrote:  

Shop midseason. It's when most retail stores are clearing out their inventory to make room for the next season. On top of that, midseason sales at outlet stores like J Crew Factory and Norstrom Rack are golden.

When is considered "midseason"?

What is your take on grabbing some stuff on Black Friday?

If you're around the Jersey/Philly area ask around for some flea markets. Flea markets are great and help you develop an eye for clothing quality, and you gain the ability to haggle with the sellers. I'd recommend going here to get accessories like watches and perfumes, but when it comes to clothes check check check to see if it's shit or not.

While you're down there look for things that you like and also check for quality. My pops and I saw this Tru Religion thermal they were trying to sell us for about 20 bucks and that shit was terrible! It felt like paper! I'm not searching for wild Pokemon in that!

But I've also found jeans and such that were very high quality. Tru Religion jeans can be sold for about 200 or more in retail, but here you'll get something for like 25.

Another tip would be is if you see a designer thing that you like, and you have a smartphone, go on the site's website and look closely at the product you are planning to get. Helps ensure that what you're buying is not some bullshit.

This might sound mean, but also look out for the Africans trying to buy you stuff. They are like the Indian Race Troll of the flea markets. They will sell you shit that you can get from the next person at a cheaper price. If you really must, go ahead but to save money don't.

I paid only 72 bucks and got:
*G-shock watch
*Solid black belt
*Fitted Hat for the Phillies (it's a baseball team come on!)
*Basketball Shorts for the Sixers and the Ravens
*A pair of crew socks

While I wouldn't be caught dead with Basketball shorts in public, they are good to wear around the house and when you're actually playing b-ball/gym.

Nope.

Mid season is going to be months like October, January, April and July. Companies are clearing out inventory so they can start selling things a month or so in advance of the seasonal changes.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday are both great times to shop provided you're getting a deal on something you'd want to purchase already. In fact, there are quite a few retailers who will be offering great deals during the next couple of weeks.

Men's Style Consultant
http://www.masculine-style.com
The better you dress the worse you can behave.

I'm waiting for Black Friday to buy but I went to a few stores to scope out what they have.

It seems like the fabric of the clothes at Uniqlo are not of very good quality (comparable to H&M, like other people have mentioned, but in my opinion not really much/any better). I wasn't even looking for blazers but some of the ones they were selling felt like you were wearing a coat made of paper. I've definitely seen nicer quality stuff at typical department stores like Macy's.

That was just my own subjective experience though. Maybe I'm going to the wrong locations?