rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

5 Most Important Books (according to Roosh)
Most Important Books (according to Roosh)
If you read Roosh's newsletter today, he recommened 5 non-PUA books for men trying to learn game.

Mean Genes-Haven't read this one. I will say though, that a basic understanding of evolutionary psychology is essential do understanding why men and women act differently. Sadly the majority of people don't even believe in evolution, much less understand it.

The 48 Laws of Power- Crock full of shit. It's fun to read to read the anecdotes (Robert Greene definately did his research), but the actual advice is so vague it's useless. Half the time it feels like your reading a horoscope. Greene includes a "reversal" at the end of each chapter, which lets him weasel out of criticism if you can think of a particular counterexample to his "laws."

The Psychology of Influence- My favorite book on the list. A lot of pop-psychology are just rehashes of the ideas in this book.

Think and Grow Rich- The touchstone of self-helpy books, and about as useful.

Walden- Much better the second time around. The best part is when he talks about bean hoeing, and the theraputic power of hard work.

What's your opinion on these books?
I haven't read means genes but highly recommend Sperm Wars. It's an easy read and does a great job at explaining sexual psychology/evolution. But yeah, it's crazy how ignorant most people are over these types of subjects. Believe it or not most people just don't read.

I agree with your analysis of the 48 Laws. But it can be fun to read sometime. I'll use that book for night time stories if I ever have a son.

I have the Psychology of Influence in my book case. Just haven't had the the time to read it. Do you think it's worth a good read?

Rob
Quote: (02-28-2010 11:29 AM)loosewin Wrote:  

I have the Psychology of Influence in my book case. Just haven't had the the time to read it. Do you think it's worth a good read?

Definately worth the read.
I have read Mean Genes and Power of Influence. Both are good reads

Mean Genes : Helped me number close a 10 ( Cuban Father Labanese Mom ) raised in Florida. I was carrying it as a prop in Dophin Mall in Miami and the Girl asked me what the book was about. .......Any ways it's a good read, helped me understand what girls would be looking in me subconsciously.

Power of Influence : Would be helpful to understand DHV and much more

"Timidity is dangerous, Better to enter with boldness. Any mistakes you commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity." (Robert Greene)
Quote: (02-27-2010 12:40 PM)klasik Wrote:  

If you read Roosh's newsletter today, he recommened 5 non-PUA books for men trying to learn game.

Mean Genes-Haven't read this one. I will say though, that a basic understanding of evolutionary psychology is essential do understanding why men and women act differently. Sadly the majority of people don't even believe in evolution, much less understand it.

The 48 Laws of Power- Crock full of shit. It's fun to read to read the anecdotes (Robert Greene definately did his research), but the actual advice is so vague it's useless. Half the time it feels like your reading a horoscope. Greene includes a "reversal" at the end of each chapter, which lets him weasel out of criticism if you can think of a particular counterexample to his "laws."

The Psychology of Influence- My favorite book on the list. A lot of pop-psychology are just rehashes of the ideas in this book.

Think and Grow Rich- The touchstone of self-helpy books, and about as useful.

Walden- Much better the second time around. The best part is when he talks about bean hoeing, and the theraputic power of hard work.

What's your opinion on these books?

I havent read most of these books, save:

Influence - Good and Timeless
and
Think and Grow Rich - The most self evident and over-hyped piece of bullshit I've ever read.

One recommendation:

The Way of the Superior Man by Deida - Will teach you to be truly cool despite a womans natural tendency to overly-emotive extremes and other BS that comes by virtue of her being a woman. Being the 'coolest' guy is pretty much fully half of what getting women is all about.

Non-Game Book Recommendation:

I recommend The 33 Strategies of War by Greene - Haven't read laws of Power, but this one is extremely useful and true if you have the experience to put it in context. That is, if you've ever been fucked over in a business or other game. If not, it might seem a bit extreme. People generally don't believe that others are capable of infinite self interest and deviousness, until they experience the other end of it for themselves. I assure you, its advice and strategies are well heeded.
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson..

The Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond

Guns, Germs and Steel by the same dude

1776* by David McCullough

and finally

A History of God by Karen Armstrong
Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

Spent, by Geoffrey Miller. He basically shows how our entire consumerist society and even alot of fruitless liberal causes are basically status striving for reproductive advantage.