rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting into athletics

Getting into athletics

Hey,

I'm a 20 year old college student and I've never played a sport competitively in my life (I spent my childhood playing video games, and still do). I started working out (stronglifts) recently with weights, but I want to get into some sort of athletics.

How does someone like me get into a varsity team? Play some intramurals then get better?

I'm not trying to get fit or anything (I'm not fat [Image: fatbanana.gif]), well I'm sure getting fit is nice, but I just have nothing going on in my life other than school, video games, and trying to talk to girls... I need a hobby zzz

Getting into athletics

Quote: (09-16-2012 11:10 PM)cozos Wrote:  

Hey,

I'm a 20 year old college student and I've never played a sport competitively in my life (I spent my childhood playing video games, and still do). I started working out (stronglifts) recently with weights, but I want to get into some sort of athletics.

How does someone like me get into a varsity team? Play some intramurals then get better?

I'm not trying to get fit or anything (I'm not fat [Image: fatbanana.gif]), well I'm sure getting fit is nice, but I just have nothing going on in my life other than school, video games, and trying to talk to girls... I need a hobby zzz

What about inquiring to some friends/acquaintances you go to school with that you know are into athletics about joining a pickup game or something along those lines? I've done that plenty of times in the past with things like Flag Football or Hockey (no skates). It's a good way to break a sweat, meet some new people (friends of friends), and get better at being, well, athletic.

Getting into athletics

Quote: (09-16-2012 11:26 PM)CMan0928 Wrote:  

Hey,

What about inquiring to some friends/acquaintances you go to school with that you know are into athletics about joining a pickup game or something along those lines? I've done that plenty of times in the past with things like Flag Football or Hockey (no skates). It's a good way to break a sweat, meet some new people (friends of friends), and get better at being, well, athletic.

Will do!

Did you ever feel like you didn't know how to play the game and other people will look down on you because you suck [Image: biggrin.gif] (I don't know how to play any sports)

Getting into athletics

You should look into Ultimate Frisbee.
It's fun.

Getting into athletics

Quote: (09-16-2012 11:38 PM)cozos Wrote:  

Quote: (09-16-2012 11:26 PM)CMan0928 Wrote:  

Hey,

Will do!

Did you ever feel like you didn't know how to play the game and other people will look down on you because you suck [Image: biggrin.gif] (I don't know how to play any sports)

Don't worry about that, dude. Just tell them casually in a joking manner of speaking that you're trying to get into whatever it is you're trying to join in on. Make a couple jokes at your own expense about not being a pro by any stretch. I was always pretty good at sports, so I never had an issue with being bad, but I played with kids that were. The ones that played hard, fair, and were just fun to be around weren't ballbusted too much. Just prove to them you're a decent guy and you should be fine.

Getting into athletics

Quote: (09-16-2012 11:41 PM)hypesession Wrote:  

You should look into Ultimate Frisbee.
It's fun.

What about Golf? Granted, I know it doesn't have a reputation as being "athletic", but once you start to get into it, and most importantly improve, you'd be shocked how addictive it can be. You'll be getting up early before class just to get nine holes in before you know it. I took it up years ago, and while I don't play nearly as often as I'd like to, I still head down to the public course a few times a month. But I wish I could find more time to go. It might be a bit costly at first, as clubs ain't cheap, but you can find deals online. Going to a place like Dick's Sporting Goods which has a dedicated "Pro Shop", can get you started in the right direction. You don't have to buy anything there, just go and get measured and see what the guy there has to say about what you'll need to get started. Don't go to a private club for that kind of shit, they charge for EVERYTHING and it's often times outrageous. Plus, by buying clubs you'll be more likely to stick with it because of the investment. And as a side note, you'd be shocked how many girls will actually say "I've never golfed, but I've always wanted to try." Or they'll make a joke about only being good at putt-putt. That's your opening to set something up based on your new best friend, Golf.

Getting into athletics

Depending on where you are, indoor volleyball is one of the better choices. There's always indoor gyms playing games. The community is usually more female oriented. A big factor is that there isn't really anybody trying to become pro, so everyone's pretty much not taking it too seriously. It still takes quite of bit of stamina, endurance, practice, and overall fitness. It's incredibly easy to pick up! The basics are cake! The only problem you might face is a team who is set with their players already and who don't want anyone they don't know playing for them. This happens, but the good thing is that people tend to socially avoid those teams unless they need help with their form.

All in all. I've been in a lot of sports and my varsity career back in high school has slowly trickled down. Other sports you might want to check out is soccer and rock climbing. Soccer tends not to be coed but rock climbing tends to. A coed baseball team would be good.

Good luck man

Getting into athletics

Read my blog and join rugby. Both will make you a manly man.

Getting into athletics

I hate to break it to you, but depending on the level of competition that your school competes in, you have little to no chance of making a varsity sport if you have never played a sport in your life.

The talent level, even with lower division schools, that the players possess is truly phenomenal and even D III athletes were all-city, state, conference, etc. in their high school days. To think that you, as someone who has never played could pick up the required skillset as well as the conditioning that these athletes have developed overly, literally, years of training, is implausible.

Have a blast with intramurals and possibly even a club team but don't be upset if intercollegiate (varsity) athletics are out of the picture.

"In America we don't worship government, we worship God." - President Donald J. Trump

Getting into athletics

Quote: (09-17-2012 12:42 PM)JohnKreese Wrote:  

I hate to break it to you, but depending on the level of competition that your school competes in, you have little to no chance of making a varsity sport if you have never played a sport in your life.

The talent level, even with lower division schools, that the players possess is truly phenomenal and even D III athletes were all-city, state, conference, etc. in their high school days. To think that you, as someone who has never played could pick up the required skillset as well as the conditioning that these athletes have developed overly, literally, years of training, is implausible.

Have a blast with intramurals and possibly even a club team, (I had never played rugby, but played club rugby for a bit. Football, track, and general fitness background translated over well) but don't be upset if intercollegiate (varsity) athletics are out of the picture.

Most people here are telling me to go for casual, intramurals, etc. That's fine,I guess. 20 is a bit too late to get into competitive athletics! Well it's probably possible, with a good amount of talent, and a shitload of dedication - but definitely not realistic.

If I have kids I'm gonna make them play sports instead of wasting their lives away on tv!

I joined a Muay Thai club today - that was alot of fun. There are actually unlimited options for casual sports fun.

I still need to find some sort of hobby to seriously pursue though... hmm

Getting into athletics

Quote: (09-17-2012 11:26 PM)cozos Wrote:  

Quote: (09-17-2012 12:42 PM)JohnKreese Wrote:  

Have a blast with intramurals and possibly even a club team, (I had never played rugby, but played club rugby for a bit. Football, track, and general fitness background translated over well) but don't be upset if intercollegiate (varsity) athletics are out of the picture.

Most people here are telling me to go for casual, intramurals, etc. That's fine,I guess. 20 is a bit too late to get into competitive athletics! Well it's probably possible, with a good amount of talent, and a shitload of dedication - but definitely not realistic.

If I have kids I'm gonna make them play sports instead of wasting their lives away on tv!

I joined a Muay Thai club today - that was alot of fun. There are actually unlimited options for casual sports fun.

There you go. Nothing wrong with a little Kickboxing. Also, what about something like Paintball? Believe it or not running around a field all day shooting paint can be quite tiring, and it takes some athletic ability to keep going strong. Plus, it's a niche enough type of thing that you might be more suited towards it where you have no serious athletic background in another sport. I've never taken someone Paintballing for the first time only to have them tell me they didn't enjoy it. It's a lot of fun. Relatively cheap, too. At least until you start getting super serious about it.

Getting into athletics

Quote: (09-17-2012 11:26 PM)cozos Wrote:  

Being in your 20's is definitely not too late to get into competitive athletics. It'd probably be too hard to get to the point where you can compete at an elite level for varsity, due to the limited time you have left to get there though.

It's awesome that you joined a Muay Thai gym. I started boxing when I was 15, which is kind of late as far as the average fighter goes. It took me a few years to become a pretty damn good amateur boxer. Study the science behind it, and get your technique down first. Most guys want to get in there and beat the shit out of the bags, and they never really learn the proper way to throw punches, or good footwork. I was a super heavyweight in USA Boxing and my favorite fighter was El Finito Lopez, a guy that I weighed well over twice as much as. He was the closest thing to a "perfect boxer" that I've ever seen.