rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

10,000 Hours. What would you do?
0,000 Hours. What would you do?

Check the video.

If you had 10,000 hours to spend on an activity of your choice, what would it be and why?

For me it would be cooking. I have a real love for food and cook a new dish a few nights a week.
Having sex or making money.
I would have chosen to play a musical instrument and singing.
Quote: (08-28-2012 06:21 AM)Kitsune Wrote:  

Having sex or making money.
+1 to this. A skill that makes a profit(hopefully being passionate for it as well) is one that is worth having. Sex is nice too although 10,000 hours of sex likely results from 10,000 hours of making money.
a foreign language or manipulation skills
Martial arts. Preferrably Jiu-Jitsu or Muay Thai. I would view it as art for art's sake and it would do me a lot of good.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
Sailing. This is my next hobby I've got lined up. The dream is to one day get a boat and take friends or potential bangs out to Catalina island with a case of dope wine and some grub, do some fishing, get some girls naked, etc.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK
Read, write, lift weights, develop deep friendships, fuck women, party and goof off. In other words, live a happy and pleasurable life.
DJ'ing and music production.

If I didn't slack off throughout the years I would have had the 10K completed, as I started when I was 19, am now 29.

When you think back, where would I be if I kept going strong? hmmmm

Other than that, business and money making.
Quote: (08-28-2012 02:45 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Read, write, lift weights, develop deep friendships, fuck women, party and goof off. In other words, live a happy and pleasurable life.

Good plan...but seems like you may be cheating a little [Image: lol.gif]

One single activity for 10k to better myself at a particular skill?

I'm going with foreign language skills..Portuguese, Spanish, then Russian. Something that in and of itself just creates a ton of cash I think, in the end, would be a disappointing use of all that time.

"...it's the quiet cool...it's for someone who's been through the struggle and come out on the other side smelling like money and pussy."

"put her in the taxi, put her number in the trash can"
Quote: (08-28-2012 03:43 PM)presidentcarter Wrote:  

Quote: (08-28-2012 02:45 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Good plan...but seems like you may be cheating a little [Image: lol.gif]

One single activity for 10k to better myself at a particular skill?

I'm going with foreign language skills..Portuguese, Spanish, then Russian. Something that in and of itself just creates a ton of cash I think, in the end, would be a disappointing use of all that time.

The skill is living a good life.

The 10,000 hours is spent on experiences helping me figure out what exactly that means.
Guitar + singing. About 1k hours into this.
5 languages, 1k hours on each - should get you to basic fluency in each

1k hours into Muay thai

1k hours into reading the best books I could get my hands on for business, life, freelancing, psychology, marketing, sales, health, etc etc.. thats 50-100 books

Not sure about the other 3k. Ideally pour it into some skill or craft or life direction that's going to give me alot of pleasure, fulfilment and generate alot of $$ for me. Still not figured that one out.
If you had 10,000 hours to spend on an activity of your choice, what would it be and why?

You do have 10,000 hours to spend.

Average American spends 4 hours a day watching TV.

Turn off the TV and you have 10,000 hours in only 7 years.

Life expectancy is 80 years of age for a man. If you are 30 years old, turn the TV off for good and you have 10,000 7 different times.

We are all aging and passing through time.

We have 10,000 hours. The question is: How are we spending them?
Quote:Quote:

You do have 10,000 hours to spend.

Aaaaand Mike gets the prize for the point of this thread!

The real issue in today's world is that most people only have the attention span of a 30 second commercial, let alone the dedication to put 10,000 hours towards something.
Game [Image: wink.gif]
Writing.
I see Mike's point but I think it can be a helpful exercise to actually record the amount of time you spend and/or your progress on an activity you're trying to improve on for the sake of motivation.

For instance, in the gym, I keep a record of every set and rep I do because that's how I know my bare minimum for next time. Always stepping it up. For languages, one of the great things about Anki is that it keeps track of every single rep, and how many of the words/facts you've learned have become 'mature'.

My goal is to start applying the same concept of everyday work and keeping track of the progress to my side business.
I like the idea of having hobbies that raise value. Smart.

It's one reason why I picked up some new hobbies. Guitar, piano, and boxing training. Added to my interests in sex, meditation, chi-kung, and writing, and that leaves only a few more I'd like to add: sailing and perhaps eventually something in the air.

I used to have poetry writing as a hobby. I really enjoyed it, but was never able to work that angle into a Boulder Penny Lane coffee shop reading charisma that would get me laid. Maybe such a talent is more helpful indirectly, with increased verbal fluency and therefore game and NLP abilities.

So for me, the valuable hobbies are entrepreneurship, fitness, especially boxing or other martial arts training, something musical, something that shows social influence, and eventually something that shows an elite status, like aircraft piloting, skydiving, or sailing.

If I had to pick one it would be the one I've probably already got 10,000 hours into. Sex.
I read the book Outliers when it came out, very interesting read. That professor at 1:53 in the video should dedicate about 10,000 hours to organizing the papers in his office!
10,000 hours of making money...it would make it to where I have time to do more shit
I have 10,000 hours in metal fabrication. When I got that I went on to something else.

I still have a good set up at my studio. No matter how much time I am away from welding or fabrication I can come in, set up and bust out some quality stuff. I think that was the point of 10,000 hours. When you get that, you are considered a master.

I am probably about 5,000 hours into my next thing but its about making money and staying sharp.

I would love to spend 10,000 on music production, adventure touring, writing. I agree with Mike that there is a chance to master things all throughout your life. Its a matter of dedication and passion.