rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

logistic advice in downtown Oklahoma city.

I will be moving to Oklahoma city in about 1 month, and I would like to live in Downtown. In all the countries ( Aberdeen, Glasgow, Paris, Sydney, Budapest) I have ever lived, I have always lived in downtown. While downtown Oklahoma city can’t be compared to other downtowns in the USA, I still think it will be easier to meet people.

Because the house I want to buy in downtown won’t be ready in about 6 months, my realtor is trying to convince me to buy a house in the suburbs ( about 20 mins from downtown).

I am mainly seeking logistic advice over here. Getting a babe home from bricktown( entertainment district) should be easy. I am not too sure how is it done in the USA ( or OKC), but I think it is easier to tell a girl that my place is 10 minutes walk compared to 20 minutes drive. In all your experiences, will this be a dealmaker or breaker. Also if I live in away in the suburbs, I would need to invest in a better vehicle. I don’t believe in expensive cars. Also I want to live in Downtown for more reasons that I mentioned in here. I just want to get your advice on logistics. Whether it is overrated or not.

How old are you? A city just south of OKC called Norman is a college town, great place to live, lots of restaurants and bars, good culture, not much crime. If you're under 28 and don't mind being around college-type kids most nights, that's where I would suggest. My favorite spot down there is a place called Coach's, they have plenty of pool tables and drunk sociable Oklahoman chicks most weekends.

If you're older, you'll want to go out to Bricktown of course. There wasn't a very reliable taxi service there last I was there, but that was years ago. It's a pretty fun place -- but definitely not the only spot around town that's worth frequenting.

Logistics wise.... I agree, driving to Moore or Norman or Midwest City takes way too long if you're bringing along a honey you just met in Bricktown. The traffic in OKC isn't bad, and parking is not much of a hassle. You'll still want a decent car (or motorcycle) if you live there. It's a huge city, and driving will be part of your daily life wherever you live.

What areas have you been considering?

Hi chief,
For several economic reasons, I think buying a townhouse in Bricktown is a good investment. I am thinking about buying one of the two bedroom townhouses at the Hill. It will be ready in about 7 months.

Another reason I want to live in bricktown is that it is easy( hopefully to get a babe to your place). But then I am not too sure whether it is the norm in the usa for a girl to ride home with you 20 to 30 minutes away. I really never take phone numbers in the clubs. There was only really one time a girl responded to my text/calls after meeting in a club. I ended up following her to Australia.

I am 31 years old, but look like 24. Mingling with the young girls is not a problem, I just don't want the bouncers to look at me as a pervert. [Image: tard.gif]

I have a little honda. I have thinking if I live far away, I might want to get something more luxurious.

Since the place I wanna buy in Bricktown won't be ready until 7 months, I "think" I have gotten a fully furnished place in Norman. No bills, everything included. It is just like a hotel. Perhaps this will give me a good chance to test out Norman.

I will be working in Edmond

Quote: (08-16-2012 06:23 PM)polymath Wrote:  

How old are you? A city just south of OKC called Norman is a college town, great place to live, lots of restaurants and bars, good culture, not much crime. If you're under 28 and don't mind being around college-type kids most nights, that's where I would suggest. My favorite spot down there is a place called Coach's, they have plenty of pool tables and drunk sociable Oklahoman chicks most weekends.

If you're older, you'll want to go out to Bricktown of course. There wasn't a very reliable taxi service there last I was there, but that was years ago. It's a pretty fun place -- but definitely not the only spot around town that's worth frequenting.

Logistics wise.... I agree, driving to Moore or Norman or Midwest City takes way too long if you're bringing along a honey you just met in Bricktown. The traffic in OKC isn't bad, and parking is not much of a hassle. You'll still want a decent car (or motorcycle) if you live there. It's a huge city, and driving will be part of your daily life wherever you live.

What areas have you been considering?

Edmond is a great place to work. Definitely the nicest city in Oklahoma by far, although it can be pricey.

You'll love Norman, it's a really comfortable place with good culture. I've heard it said that Norman is to Oklahoma, as Austin is to Texas. The university is a big part of life there as I mentioned before, so check out the art museum and some of the events if you get a chance, and be prepared for a massive influx of Sooner football fans from all over the state on game days. You'll be surprised at the attractiveness and receptiveness of many of the women in Norman. Also, the owners of the businesses in the downtown area (on Main Street, between the railroad tracks and Porter Avenue) have a lot of events/fairs/shows where you can meet cute 30-somethings, so I suggest that you go chat them up when you have some free time. I saw Wayne Coyne (lead singer of the Flaming Lips) at an art opening with his wife once. Lots of hippies and potheads if you're into that sort of thing, but be careful -- the police in Norman don't have any real crime to bust, so they spend a lot of time and money cracking down on drugs, underage drinking, etc.

I have no knowledge about the real estate market near Bricktown but it sounds like a cool idea. The area has been growing really rapidly, and OKC in general is getting better every year. With the OKC Thunder and the Devon Energy Building both rising to the top, the future is pretty bright for that city.

Girls in Oklahoma are usually comfortable with taking a car ride if they like and trust you (in my experience), but crossing into a different city to shack up will probably make the girl feel a little slutty, so she may be hesitant. In this respect, I agree that walking to an apartment is probably a better call. If you have a nice house in Norman and you invite a girl and her friends to meet up with your friends at your place, she'll probably be interested. House parties are very common in central OK, maybe a little barbecue if the climate is agreeable.

Wherever you are, bouncers probably won't consider you a pervert unless you have a shitty vibe.

Polymath
You know that is a name of a software. I used it in my chemical kinetics class to solve multipe equations at the sametime that was back in 2001. Mathematica came in, and the rest was history
Thanks for the advice, where do you live now? It will be nice to catch a drink with you. I am starting to get very excited now. We see how it goes

Mathematica....the Wal-Mart of software. Haha

I'm actually not living in the States right now, but I'll shoot you a PM if I make it back to OK anytime soon. Good luck man!