rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Anti-western + xenophobic spots

What places have you noticed an anti-westerner,foreigner, non-local sentiment? How have you avoided or dealt with it?(screening for English speakers, etc.)

Which countries and cities are most interested in foreigners? Capitals or provinces? Border areas seem interesting due to multi-culturalism.

For example, I've noticed a lot of the Eastern Ukrainian/Belarussian cities are more xenophobic. But what about Far Eastern Russia? I think the proximity to Asia would make then more exposed to foreigners and the possibilty of other cultures.

People in Madrid weren't too receptive to me. A few swindlers, but mainly just grumpy people who didn't seem fond of Americans.

I think the best defense is to know what prices to expect (and speak up when you're asked to pay more), and also to keep your language inability to yourself if possible. I don't mind if someone dislikes me, but I don't want to get conned when I'm paying for dry cleaning or crossing a border.

Also, look like a tough mutha. Cops look down when I walk by. I like it that way.

In France I seen people acting very rudely, especially to Americans. Even having basic French doesn't always help, you can't necessarily just stumble through and have people humour you, like many Spanish speaking countries. Wouldn't write off France, as I've known some great French people, and the girls can be really beautiful and sexy, but I'm not the first to point out their rudeness and anti-Americanism

Also found the Turkish to be very insular.

Bulgarians were very un-impressed by foreigners, as were Argentinians.

Not really calling any of these places xenophobic, but certainly wouldn't go there expecting to get laid just by showing your passport.

I noticed the opposite in Spain and South America, people were very happy to launch into long stories about their visits abroad when I said in bad Spanish that I was from Israel and had lived in NYC. The funny thing there is that even if its clear you don't understand more than a quarter of what they're saying, they keep going at a million miles an hour. But agree that Madrid isn't the friendliest place in Spain.

In Israel, we're always curious about other cultures, and everyone speaks English. Found Brazilians to be very friendly as well.

Hmm. Would some cities such as border towns be less insular? Are some sub-populations more open (eg minority groups)?

I'm not looking for being loved for being a foreigner as much as I want neutral reception. For example, here in the FSU, my girlfriend tried to introduce me to her friends...but no one wanted to meet an American. I'm travelling a bit more now to see what other places have to offer. A hot girl is great, but I also want to be able to interact with society.

It seems more multicultural areas do better.

What about how you present yourself? How do you make yourself a better guest? I've been watching Rick Steves videos and trying to see how he does it. Greek Kamaki also does it well with questions about the girl's music/food.

Perhaps just asking relatively simple questions (food, music, traditions) and making connections can help...even if I already know the answer. I've seen Rick Steves do this- he asks people to explain it to him and it gets them in a helpful/happy mood.