rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The official guide on hustling

Sup Fellas

I have been thinking of creating a thread here where we could recommend each other on how to make extra income, but on this thread, i want us to write realistic ways of making money, lets avoid recommending stuff that will hardly work such as ''put an ad on craigslist and make money by walking dogs'' (nobody will allow my black ass to walk dogs and i doubt many people make money on this - im half joking here fellas).

I am travelling to New york at the end of this week and i am staying there for 3 months, so i want to be seriously hustling while i am there, i just want to prove myself that money can be made anywhere (although im travelling more for vacation but i will be hustling too).

So lets avoid writing a big list of non-working techniques, instead lets focus on one, two or three things that will work and then we recommend it here, lets make this thread an effective money making thread, no bullshit techniques please.

Anyway number one on my list:

1- Put your room on airbnb - If you live in a major US city or a popular destination in the world, put your room on airbnb. People are constantly looking to rent a room, i think the hotel industry is suffering due to the fast development of airbnb, i have even read somewhere that they are planning to close airbnb (which i doubt they will be able to). You could be making at least extra 600 or 700 dollars per month, if you really need the money, put up your room on this site and go sleep in the living room. On airbnb you also get cooler people, unlikely the CS where you just meet a bunch of weirdos (this shows a key difference in those who believe in spending money and those who believe in living for free)

2 - Become a photagrapher - Buy a professional camera, get an account on facebook about your photo company, make small cards and hit clubs and bars around the city, take pictures for free and whoever liked their pictures, charge them 5 dollars per picture and email their pictures instantaneously (get a camera that allows you to email photos right there and then) or ask people for their facebooks accounts and send their pictures on facebook. I have a friend who just came from Spain and he was doing that during his stay there, i am meeting him soon, i will ask him more questions about this because i am seriously considering doing that in New York.

Your recommendations can be anything, if you think about any item that can be bought and easily sold on craigslist, please share this info, but break down the information, dont be too vague in your description.

Getting a job.

I'm sorry bruv, but I don't see renting a room out on airbnb as "hustling"... Hustling to me would be more around the lines of flying in to NC, buying up 100 cartons of cigarettes for 20 dollars a carton. Then rent a car and drive up to NYC... When in NYC hit up all the shady bodegas in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx, roll in with swag and talk business with the Russian or Lebanese cats running the joint. Break it down to them, and wholesale your cartons for $80 per box, at that rate you just came up $60 per carton, leaving you with a net profit of what, $6,000, or maybe a little less when you factor in expenses.

That was just an example, I don't know how much a carton of cigarettes cost, nor have, nor would I ever engage in any kind of illegal business practices. I would never recommend or advise a person to do any such things, however this was just a hypothetical example, of what I consider to be "hustling". To me, there are various forms of hustles, but the true essence of the hustle is to make something out of nothing, so to speak.

Cellphones on Craigslist. Learn how to unlock them and sell the mvno sim cards and charge hook up fee. Buy and sell the fuck out of them. You'll have to scan CL nonstop and run around buying and selling them all day but you could make a lot of money.

Quote: (07-30-2012 03:31 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

I'm sorry bruv, but I don't see renting a room out on airbnb as "hustling"... Hustling to me would be more around the lines of flying in to NC, buying up 100 cartons of cigarettes for 20 dollars a carton. Then rent a car and drive up to NYC... When in NYC hit up all the shady bodegas in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx, roll in with swag and talk business with the Russian or Lebanese cats running the joint. Break it down to them, and wholesale your cartons for $80 per box, at that rate you just came up $60 per carton, leaving you with a net profit of what, $6,000, or maybe a little less when you factor in expenses.

That was just an example, I don't know how much a carton of cigarettes cost, nor have, nor would I ever engage in any kind of illegal business practices. I would never recommend or advise a person to do any such things, however this was just a hypothetical example, of what I consider to be "hustling". To me, there are various forms of hustles, but the true essence of the hustle is to make something out of nothing, so to speak.

Great example.unfortunately it wasnt a real example but i am looking for that kind of hustle. But yeah, i call renting rooms on airbnb hustling because you will be earning extra money, anything that brings me extra money is hustling.

Quote: (07-30-2012 03:34 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Cellphones on Craigslist. Learn how to unlock them and sell the mvno sim cards and charge hook up fee. Buy and sell the fuck out of them. You'll have to scan CL nonstop and run around buying and selling them all day but you could make a lot of money.

That sounds interesting el. Care to say how much profit i should make on every phone? Lets say, i buy a phone for 350 dollars..how much should i sell it for?

Quote: (07-30-2012 03:43 PM)pitt Wrote:  

Great example.unfortunately it wasnt a real example but i am looking for that kind of hustle.

Well FYI, cigarettes are crazy cheap in NC, and crazy expensive in NYC....

Quote: (07-30-2012 03:49 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Great example.unfortunately it wasnt a real example but i am looking for that kind of hustle.

Just wondering..have you done this before or you heard of anybody who has done this?

Quote: (07-30-2012 03:31 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Great example.unfortunately it wasnt a real example but i am looking for that kind of hustle. But yeah, i call renting rooms on airbnb hustling because you will be earning extra money, anything that brings me extra money is hustling.

Quote: (07-30-2012 03:34 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

That sounds interesting el. Care to say how much profit i should make on every phone? Lets say, i buy a phone for 350 dollars..how much should i sell it for?
You learn it by watching CL and snapping up deals quick. For instance you can buy an iphone three sometimes for 60 or 80 and sell it for 130. Just load it with apps then make cash by putting a service in it. Also buy phones in bulk off ebay etc and resell. Do it at night when the phone places are closed just keep pushing on CL

Quote: (07-30-2012 03:51 PM)pitt Wrote:  

Just wondering..have you done this before or you heard of anybody who has done this?

NO

Quote: (07-30-2012 03:59 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

NO
Yes It's illegal but doable.

Quote: (07-30-2012 01:22 PM)pitt Wrote:  

Sup Fellas

2 - Become a photagrapher - Buy a professional camera, get an account on facebook about your photo company, make small cards and hit clubs and bars around the city, take pictures for free and whoever liked their pictures, charge them 5 dollars per picture and email their pictures instantaneously (get a camera that allows you to email photos right there and then) or ask people for their facebooks accounts and send their pictures on facebook. I have a friend who just came from Spain and he was doing that during his stay there, i am meeting him soon, i will ask him more questions about this because i am seriously considering doing that in New York.

Good thread idea, please get back to us with that. I dabble in photography and I want to do a similar hustle here in LA.

But...I'd like to say a few things about this. Just things to consider, not to discourage.

For anybody wanting to do this, night photography (assuming you're shooting nightlife photos) with a pro SLR camera is tricky and takes trial and error.

If you want to stand out from the rest of the guys trying to do this and want your pictures to come out "right":
You need to learn about how to technically work an SLR camera (very different animal from a "point and shoot") and artistic ways of getting a good picture. You also need proper lens/lighting gear.

I believe dog tracks can put some money in your pocket if you know what you're doing. I need to play around at one in the next few weeks and report back.

I'd recommend collecting cans and bottles around NYC, using a friend's mail truck designated to carry excess, spillover mail the week before Mother's day to a sorting facility in Michigan to bring the bottles and refunding them there for $0.10, instead of $0.05 as in other states.

I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why are you sharing all this information with me?

I'll pm you.

A buddy of mine who does construction used to buy generators, steel fuel tanks, and plywood by the trailer-full, drive down to Florida, keep them in a public storage unit, and wait for hurricane season. You can get arrested doing that (they call it price gouging), but the guy is actually providing a valuable service.

This is kind of a stretch, but are you into the fashion scene in your country/city? If you know people that own clothing stores in London, say stores that cater to the hip-hop or possibly hipster crowd, you can buy clothes for cheap(er) in NYC with USD, then take those clothes maybe denim, t-shirts, hoodies, hats, etc., and sell them for British pounds upon arrival back in London. It might take a bit of leg work and risk a little money, you might have to try to hustle some to your friends/family or even through concerts/events, maybe try to hit some stores before and pitch them the idea.

From what I understand British pounds are worth much more than USD, last I heard the exchange rate was 1 pound = 2 USD. You invest $500 British pounds, which gets you $1000 USD, you take that money and buy up a bunch of clothes, you get the hook up from the young cats coming up with the screen print business, or the connects on the raw denim jeans. You get the t-shirts for $10 USD a pop which is only $5 British pounds (your money), you then sell those same t-shirts for $15 British pounds wholesale to the clothing stores (equivalent of $30 USD). So if we're thinking in things of USD you make a profit of $20 per t-shirt, if you get a hundred t-shirts for a $1000USD, and you make $20 dollar profit per shirt X 100, you make a net profit of $2,000....

Quote: (07-31-2012 02:08 AM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

From what I understand British pounds are worth much more than USD, last I heard the exchange rate was 1 pound = $2.

No it's not been like that for about 5 years. The rate you'll get in a bureau de change now is $1.50

Here are some basic ones I've heard:

-Selling water on the beach (buy in bulk from supermarket, sell bottles for $1-2 or equivalent, depending on country)

-Selling rum-filled coconuts in a park / at festivals for $5 ( again, buy all super cheap from supermarket)

-Some task that you are good at that you could do for other people with more money than time. E.g. I've read about a guy who loves finding the cheapest flights for weird itineraries. Biz people ask him for things like: 2 flights within US, 5 days in paris, then to Rio for two weeks for business before returning, all business class. For $250 he will scour the sites and different airline combos and come up with great deals for them. Some take him a couple of hours, some take him a couple of minutes, either way he makes $250 a pop and probably saves his clients at least 2-5x that for their trip.

Someone should write a book on hustling. There's some cool biz books, like "The $100 Startup" that get into it a fair bit. But there's so many more basic, simple ideas out there though that would be great for young guys.

There seem to be two definitions of hustling here. Legal and illegal

In my opinion hustling is at least grey market stuff.

Not bashing the ideas here, just trying to find out the difference.

I can see G doing some serious hustling.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

My only means of making money is Barbering. I cut Hair. People EVERYWHERE need haircuts. If you want to travel and make money on the go, Barbering is a good field to get in to. There's no application process, walk into a Barbershop on a strip with plenty foot traffic and ask to cut hair there. The owner does a quick screen, and tells you when you start.

I haven't tested this theory yet because I can't budge... I'm still in school hah. Though I know of a Carribean fella that moved to a New Island every 6 months Partying his ass off and surviving just off of cutting hair.

Quote: (07-31-2012 02:08 AM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

This is kind of a stretch, but are you into the fashion scene in your country/city? If you know people that own clothing stores in London, say stores that cater to the hip-hop or possibly hipster crowd, you can buy clothes for cheap(er) in NYC with USD, then take those clothes maybe denim, t-shirts, hoodies, hats, etc., and sell them for British pounds upon arrival back in London. It might take a bit of leg work and risk a little money, you might have to try to hustle some to your friends/family or even through concerts/events, maybe try to hit some stores before and pitch them the idea.

From what I understand British pounds are worth much more than USD, last I heard the exchange rate was 1 pound = 2 USD. You invest $500 British pounds, which gets you $1000 USD, you take that money and buy up a bunch of clothes, you get the hook up from the young cats coming up with the screen print business, or the connects on the raw denim jeans. You get the t-shirts for $10 USD a pop which is only $5 British pounds (your money), you then sell those same t-shirts for $15 British pounds wholesale to the clothing stores (equivalent of $30 USD). So if we're thinking in things of USD you make a profit of $20 per t-shirt, if you get a hundred t-shirts for a $1000USD, and you make $20 dollar profit per shirt X 100, you make a net profit of $2,000....

This seems like quite a good idea. I had the idea when I first went to the retail outlets in Buffalo and saw clothes and shoes dirt cheap. I was thinking of getting a business going with my cousin or one of my friends.
Of course the exchange rate is not as high as before as Vorkuta says but I believe one can still get a decent markup.

I believe Timberland shoes cost about 100 quid or more in London and these are just the basic beige ones.

I bought my first pair in Buffalo for 35 dollars. Then I bought a second pair and sold them to some Jamaican guy at work for 100 dollars.

He was pleased with the purchase. Now that's what's up.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

I been following this blog, he has some good ideas
involving setting up an online storefront for cheap tablets and other hustles.
http://www.dreamandhustle.com/

Quote: (07-31-2012 01:22 AM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

I'll pm you.

I want in on this guys , I noticed this when I was in Alabama, I have some contacts in AL who own Cigarette stores, Question is how to move the goods to NY and sell without getting in trouble. It is atleast a 100 % mark up.

Paging e-mech ?...........

(Edit : I see OG Norcal described the process in a post above.)

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

Quote: (07-30-2012 03:23 PM)Kitsune Wrote:  

Getting a job.

hahaha!!

Quote: (07-31-2012 11:28 AM)Neil Skywalker Wrote:  

There seem to be two definitions of hustling here. Legal and illegal

In my opinion hustling is at least grey market stuff.

Not bashing the ideas here, just trying to find out the difference.

I can see G doing some serious hustling.

Well, the biggest banks in the world are making money illegally:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-14317.html

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2012/07/are...terprises/

So, who the fuck knows where the line is between legal and illegal. If I take your wallet, I'm a criminal, but if a bank steals 600 trillion from the world economy, its no problem???

Hustling=getting money. Legal or illegal