rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Good workout program I found

I strained myself recently so I took a month off from working out but now I'm ready to get into it again. I think I'm going to start with this: Scooby's Workshop. Dude is 50 and built like the hulk. Seems to know his shit. Maybe this will help out some other guys here.

Why do you say this is good?

Quote: (07-22-2012 08:46 AM)tjames Wrote:  

I strained myself recently so I took a month off from working out but now I'm ready to get into it again. I think I'm going to start with this: Scooby's Workshop. Dude is 50 and built like the hulk. Seems to know his shit. Maybe this will help out some other guys here.

I think it's too much for a beginner to be asked to do pullups.

Took me a year just to be able to do one pullup. Had to do a hell of a lot of negative pullups and had to get people to push me up. It was brutal and unrewarding. On all my other exercises I made constant small increments of progress, but not the pullup.

Most I've ever done is 3 overhand pullups in a set. And I didn't feel or see any positive results with my lats. And I think the only reason I eventually was able to do 3 pullups was because my barbell exercises had strengthened my biceps enough.

Gave up on pullups to do Pendley Rows.

Started with a very light weight and built it up.

I'm having great results. I'm finally building some lats.

I'm not against pullups - but I wasted a lot of time attempting to do them and got very little benefit. Pendley rows hit more or less the same muscles and any beginner can start rowing an empty bar and then slowly build up the weight being lifted over time.

My plan is to return to pullups once I can comfortably Pendley row my own body weight.

So having experienced the brutal struggle of trying to do one pullup, I'd advise a beginner to focus on an easier exercise that will give quicker and encouraging gains, rather than beating one's head against the wall.