rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Posture improvement

Posture improvement

I get told i look miserable mad by folk as i tend to slouch and hunch a lot (i'm taller that average). It's pretty much default now, as desks/tables are at awkward height and i tend to roll my shoulders
Any pointers to straighten me out so to speak?

"The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is the first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them,"
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Posture improvement

Shouldn't this be in the game forum?

Check out Alexander technique.

Posture improvement

keep your shoulders back. it will feel weird at first but you will get used to it. the rest of your body will have to compensate for the change in weight distribution.

Posture improvement

Posture is a huge part of looking confident.

Posture improvement

Quote: (07-20-2012 04:46 PM)shameus_oreaaly Wrote:  

I get told i look miserable mad by folk as i tend to slouch and hunch a lot (i'm taller that average). It's pretty much default now, as desks/tables are at awkward height and i tend to roll my shoulders

Gym.

Posture improvement

Strengthen your abs.
Do pilates and/or yoga.
Do regular stretches. Especially the chest muscles.
Strengthen your back muscles.
Be mindful of the way you sit at your computer.
Do hip-flexor stretches.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Posture improvement

https://www.google.com/search?q=marines+...66&bih=624

Study this.

Posture improvement

Check out The Vance Stance. You can pick up used copies for 1¢ on amazon.

If you want to throw more money at it, you can go Pilates/Alexander Technique or Egoscue. But it's really just a matter or developing body awareness. Which money can't buy you.

It's a matter of investing the time, having full body mirrors, and either a coach or a video camera.

"Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly color. I'm so glad I'm a Beta."
--Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

Posture improvement

Use a standing desk, and do active sitting to develop the back muscles more. Deadlifts chinup, pullups and squats work wonders too.

Posture improvement

Quote: (07-20-2012 04:46 PM)shameus_oreaaly Wrote:  

Barbell rows improved my posture tremendously. Weak back muscles contribute to 'winging' of the scapulas and that hunched look.

Posture improvement

Simple: work your back muscles.

-Barbell rows (like Thomas said above)
-Lat pulldowns
-Seated cable rows
-Shrugs
-Reverse Flies
-Definitely do pull-ups
-And on a separate day, do a full workout focused on just deadlifts and core

I used to have shitty posture too; always slouched at my desk. I started dedicating one workout every week to my back with a routine similar to the one above, and my posture improved very quickly. As your back strengthens, it will pull your shoulders back. Work your core too -- the core is key to everything!

Work hard, don't slack and you'll be rewarded.

Posture improvement

This is the self help technique I invented:

Get some inspirational books. Biographies about cool people, how to do something difficult, or something like that.

Then swim out into the ocean and float on your back and read them. Do everything you can to not get the book wet at all. This improves your balance like you wouldn't believe.

Aloha!

Posture improvement

I have an easy and relaxed boxer's stance whenever I'm standing. My spine is at a pretty solid S-curve. What you want to do is proper deadlifts, back bridges, and farmer's carries to bulk up your back.

Posture improvement

Quote: (07-20-2012 05:14 PM)plague Wrote:  

keep your shoulders back. it will feel weird at first but you will get used to it. the rest of your body will have to compensate for the change in weight distribution.

This. Had the same problem and there is no need to read some fancy shit, just keep the shoulders back and youll be good.

Posture improvement

Pullups are slowly (well actually quite quickly) but surely fixing my slouch.

Hangs are great too. Instead of pulling up, just hang for as long as you can.

the bonus of these exercises is that they make you feel like a super powerful gorilla.

Posture improvement

Wow, that's loadsa good advice! Thanks to all.
@Kona, sounds weird but yeah, i can see it working, I'll take Plutarch to the beach maybe.
Thanks

"The woman most eager to jump out of her petticoat to assert her rights is the first to jump back into it when threatened with a switching for misusing them,"
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Posture improvement

Like others have said, definitely do deadlifts, they hit critical muscle groups for posture. Which muscles? Those along the spine from the mid to upper back; they're "dead" for a lot of people thanks to years of slouching, but those are the muscles that can lift your chest+head up while letting the shoulders relax into a natural and wider position, instead of looking stiff. Elliot Hulse provides a great technical overview of how to use deadlifts to build thoracic extension for better posture (esp. starting around 2 minutes in):
http://youtu.be/9BTQebgxi8A

Another exercise that hits that area but does not require a gym is the "cobra" or "floor cobra" - there are different versions from yoga, Pilates, etc. and here's one:
http://youtu.be/lODeZLnxZgQ

To self-diagnose and check progress, regularly stand against a wall: put your back against a wall, pull heels together all the way in to touch the wall, and try to flatten your upper back (not including shoulders) and back-of-head against the wall, keeping chin down and eyes level. Then step away from the wall; it will feel strange at first, but if you're near a mirror, you should catch yourself in near-perfect posture: from the side, your ears, shoulders, hips, and ankles will be in a straight line down (or pretty close).

Posture improvement

Quick fix:

Stand against the wall make sure your back, head, butt, heels are pressed against the wall. Now walk away from the wall and try to hold that posture. But relax it a little.

Posture improvement

My take:

1. Shoulders back
2. Head/neck directly over your center of gravity - feels like pulling your head back and up if you have a hunch
3. Pelvis straight i.e. your butt isn't sticking out
4. Balance on the balls of your feet like a cat, not back on your heels.

You will look great. However, in order to be able to do this without getting tired, you might need some work, like gym and yoga as others have mentioned. You can't just force yourself into good posture if your muscles are all messed up. This is the biggest mistake guys make.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Posture improvement

If your posture is *really bad* you can seriously injure yourself squatting or dead lifting - it happened to a friend of mine. I always told him to stand straight, but it wasn't easily corrected, his neck alignment was way out of whack. I'm not sure if he can lift at all any more. You may want to see a qualified coach or sports doctor before commencing get any serious lifting. Pullups and other calisthenics should be relatively safe though.

It may not help with posture, but learning to breathe in to your stomach is beneficial as well. This is helpful when squatting.

Imagine you're wearing a cape, and if you slouch it touches the floor and gets dirty. Chest up, shoulders back.

Posture improvement

^co sign. See a back doctor if you really have a bad posture.

Before doing squats and deadlifts, learn how to do them properly.

That said, after doing both properly ...I feel like I'm getting a slight push forward from my mid-lower back making me stand more upright.

Posture improvement

Question to the taller guys-how do you talk with shorter girls in the clubs?I sometimes don't go down,making them get on their toes,however if she's too short,I have to slouch a lot.The only solution I can come up wi is not talk with them.

Posture improvement

Quote: (08-11-2012 04:46 PM)Berliner Wrote:  

Question to the taller guys-how do you talk with shorter girls in the clubs?I sometimes don't go down,making them get on their toes,however if she's too short,I have to slouch a lot.The only solution I can come up wi is not talk with them.

Post up against something, James Dean style. Make her face your side and have her talk into your ear. Motion her to come close. Stand with your legs forming a V. Put your arm around her neck and bend down slightly and talk into her ear.

Posture improvement

Join the United States Marines!!! [Image: wink.gif]

"All My Bitches love me....I love all my bitches,
but its like soon as I cum... I come to my senses."

Posture improvement

gym helps alot! im also very tall and you just naturally slouch because you hit your head all the time ondoorframes ect.

havent been to the gym for a month and i feel my postures gotten alot worse im going TODAY!

in clubs you can lean down on a table or sth if youre talking to one of these tiny girls. or sit in front of her so youre eye-to-eye. or pick em up and put em on a box (pedestal [Image: tongue.gif]).