rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

UFC Trend

UFC Trend

A friend on my Facebook page commented on a UFC link the other day. I checked it out and there was all kinds of people talking shit about boxing. Saying boxing is easier, requires no talent, the fighters are pussies, etc. Is this common with the ufc "scene"? Someone also explain why girls seem to love it when they would of never watched boxing back in the day. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but the whole thing seems annoying and attracts retards who feel like Superman because of a Tapout shirt and matching window decal. Holla at me Tapout shirt wearing playas.

UFC Trend

Quote: (07-07-2012 11:01 AM)houston Wrote:  

A friend on my Facebook page commented on a UFC link the other day. I checked it out and there was all kinds of people talking shit about boxing. Saying boxing is easier, requires no talent, the fighters are pussies, etc. Is this common with the ufc "scene"? Someone also explain why girls seem to love it when they would of never watched boxing back in the day. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but the whole thing seems annoying and attracts retards who feel like Superman because of a Tapout shirt and matching window decal. Holla at me Tapout shirt wearing playas.

It's the fans that are idiots. EVERY fighter trains boxing, and every decent fighter has a full on boxing coach. Think the Roman Collesium, that's the kinds of wishy washy fans the UFC has.

UFC Trend

Quote: (07-07-2012 11:17 AM)Fisto Wrote:  

It's the fans that are idiots. EVERY fighter trains boxing, and every decent fighter has a full on boxing coach. Think the Roman Collesium, that's the kinds of wishy washy fans the UFC has.

Yeah, the guys that are involved in MMA love boxing.

How could you not?

Watch Rashad Evans Meeting Bernard Hopkins.

You can see the absolute RESPECT that Rashad has for B-Hop.

Freddie Roach on working with Anderson Silva:

Tito Ortiz training at Wildcard

UFC Trend

UFC is just the new poker. Remember how EVERYBODY was into it? And how it died away back into a niche. Same shit will happen to UFC.

Boxing is the ultimate game of live chess. I appreciate the strategy that goes into it. UFC I can't really fuck with. The dudes hump each other half he time, 15% of the fight time is spent with actual contact eh rest is just homo appalling. Its like old WWF wrestling without the dope story lines to me.

UFC Trend

deleted

UFC Trend

There are hardcore boxing fans who disparage MMA in the same way. Saying it requires no skill, the fighters cant throw a punch, its not a real sport, etc.

For the most part cage fighters have had respect for boxers, and nowadays I think the boxing scene is wamring to MMA and respecting them as well.

UFC Trend

Tito Ortiz one on one with Freddie Roach

UFC Trend

Quote: (07-07-2012 11:22 AM)kosko Wrote:  

UFC is just the new poker. Remember how EVERYBODY was into it? And how it died away back into a niche. Same shit will happen to UFC.

Boxing is the ultimate game of live chess. I appreciate the strategy that goes into it. UFC I can't really fuck with. The dudes hump each other half he time, 15% of the fight time is spent with actual contact eh rest is just homo appalling. Its like old WWF wrestling without the dope story lines to me.

Not a chance.

Big UFC events are already rivaling big boxing matches in terms of PPV buyrate.

If you ask most people what combat sport they prefer, MMA probably wins out over boxing by now. I think amongst young people, George St. Pierre and Anderson Silva are more popular than any active and in their prime boxers outside of Pacquiao and Mayweather.

And MMA is growing, still.

UFC Trend

Kosko - to each their own. I'll just point out that if MMA survived the dark underground years, it will not die now that it's popular amongst EVERYONE. Comparing it to poker is Pretty fucking stupid...I mean "unrepresenative" of the growth of the sport.

UFC Trend

Quote: (07-07-2012 11:22 AM)kosko Wrote:  

You should check out the original UFC matches. Back when there were no rules and it was a human cock fight.

UFC Trend

Quote: (07-07-2012 11:36 AM)Newb#3 Wrote:  

"Rivaling" is a pretty broad term.

If you look at the numbers, boxing still dominates MMA on PPV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay-per-view

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe MMA PPV is way cheaper than Boxing PPV (usually $50).

UFC Trend

Quote: (07-07-2012 02:43 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe MMA PPV is way cheaper than Boxing PPV (usually $50).

I dunno, G, UFC 148 and 149 are both selling for $45 on my cable provider's website. So it's not much cheaper than a comparable boxing event (say, that last Pacman fight/heist which my buddy bought for $50.)

UFC Trend

UFC/MMA is on the way up and boxing (for entertainment) is dying out. Nothing will stop that trend. UFC has better marketing, a better product, and knows how to build it's brand worldwide.

UFC Trend

Quote: (07-07-2012 03:08 PM)Big Nilla Wrote:  

UFC/MMA is on the way up and boxing (for entertainment) is dying out. Nothing will stop that trend. UFC has better marketing, a better product, and knows how to build it's brand worldwide.

Agree completely.

Not to mention, UFC/MMA is not plagued the corruption and greed that's killing boxing.

UFC Trend

The interesting thing about selected boxing PPV #s on that link if how far back you have to go to see one that doesn't involve either Mayweather or Pacquiao--2006, and that was De La Hoya. What happens when those two call it quits? No one is that interested in the new crop of boxing stars.

On the other hand, the UFC's best events have a wide variety of headliners. And they have no trouble building new superstars. Jon Jones just headlined an event that did 700,000. And he's only 24.

No one my age really like boxing all that much. MMA is way more popular. Other than the Big 4 it's probably the most popular sport. The trend is MMA's increasing popularity and boxing's declining popularity.

UFC Trend

Boxing as a sport isn't going anywhere. It's way too important as a foundation. Boxing as a spectacle on the other hand...Even my dad who is a long time boxing fan from the old school now prefers MMA. Mike Tyson even once acknowledged that he'd have gone into MMA if it were available when he was coming up.

It's just the subculture around it that sucks. Affliction, Tapout, Ed Hardy and all that stuff. Plus I hate all the advertising covering everything from the mat to the fighter's shorts. Tyson would just walk out in black shorts. No ads, no glitter and other BS. I think a lot of these MMA guys are forced to be walking advertisements because of the shitty pay compared to boxing. It's damn near criminal what Dana White gets away with paying on heavyweight title bout.

UFC Trend

Among those of us who train, no it's not. Anyone who is a martial artist will have respect for other forms of fightings. Boxing is hard as hell, and all mma fighters train in boxing principles.

You need to understand that the majority of guys who are into the UFC, have no idea wtf they are talking about. They watch it on TV, and have never gotten into a fight or stepped into a gym themselves. For most of these guys it's pure theory, just like key board jockeyng is with game.

I have been doing jiujitsu for a while now, and started cross training in muay thai. I have seen how the sport has exploded over the past few years. Month in and month out we get guys coming into our gym to train. I don't even bother to remember anyones name until they are a blue belt. The fact is I'd say 9/10 I never see after a month.

I'm not sure what the numbers are at boxing gyms, but they are probably similar. It pisses me off because a lot of these guys give reputable mma guys a bad name. If you look at me, you'd have no idea I even train. I'm in good shape, but I am by no means huge. There are guys much smaller than myself who I have seen wipe the mat with guys much bigger.

Unless provoked, I will not try to fight anyone. The guys who barely train or don't train at all, wear tap out shirts, get wasted, and go from bar to bar thinking they're tough and trying to start fights are the lowest of the low.

UFC Trend

@Gman UFC PPV are now 50 too. They used to be 30 back in 03/04. The UFC alone has one free televised event and one PPV a month. MMA fans get to satisfy their appetite more frequently than boxing fans so I'm assuming that is the reason for bigger PPV buy rates per boxing event.

@OP I love boxing and would never disparage the sport itself. However, MMA is not a trend. It's been steadily growing and opening up markets internationally for the past decade since the first season of the reality show. Pugilists respect each other. It doesn't matter which combat sport we're involved in.

Anybody that puts their body on the line not only during the fight, but every day during training deserves respect. I'm new to training MMA and Muay Thai, but have been training BJJ and grappling since 99 with breaks in between. I love talking boxing with somebody who knows their shit and I would hope a boxer would be open to talking MMA, grappling, or muay thai, as they are different sports, but the competitive and combative essence is the same in each sport.

Fanboys of any sport talk shit. Hell, fanboys of one sports team talk shit about other sports teams. It's the tribal nature of human beings.

UFC Trend

I like to watch fights.

I'll watch hockey fights.

I'll watch fight videos on World Star Hip Hop.

I'll watch Russians throwing down on YouTube.

Guys who hate on boxing are simply not fighters.

Which means they are fan boys.

Saying, "The sport I watch is better than the sport you watch!" is so fucking gay that I won't even touch that discussion.

UFC Trend

Nobody has actually hated on boxing in this thread at all.

UFC Trend

So..who's watching now?

I am the cock carousel

UFC Trend

Quote: (07-07-2012 09:55 PM)Sourcecode Wrote:  

So..who's watching now?
[Image: tapout-crowd1.jpg]

UFC Trend

Silva is just Unfuckwithable

I am the cock carousel

UFC Trend

Anderson Silvaaaaaaaa!!