rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

too much cardio is bad for losing weight?

i read online that doing too much cardio lower your metabolism and is bad for losing weight. i'm trying to lose 40 pounds as fast as possible. how much cardio should i do without fucking myself over. and how much is too much cardio?

Quote: (07-06-2012 01:24 AM)JoyStick Wrote:  

i read online that doing too much cardio lower your metabolism and is bad for losing weight. i'm trying to lose 40 pounds as fast as possible. how much cardio should i do without fucking myself over. and how much is too much cardio?

- Cardio burns the most calories while you exercise, but your body downregulates your metabolism after cardio, so you burn less energy sitting at your desk after you leave the gym
- Cardio secretes cortisol and insulin, both of which make you hungry as heck. Your average person will compensate for cardio by eating more afterwards. Some people overcompensate, having intense cravings for carbohydrates, eating more calories than they burnt at the gym. Combined with the lowered metabolism, this combines to cardio = weight gain
- Cardio only helps you lose weight if you force yourself not to eat afterwards. This requires an iron will that most people do not have.

Lifting free weights on the other hand:
- Weightlifting stimulates muscles to grow over a 24-72 hour period, depending on the individual. Your base metabolism is therefore higher over an average 2 day period. You end up burning calories just by sitting at your desk after an intense weightlifting session.
- In my experience people are also not as intensely hungry after weightlifting, and you crave protein rather than carbohydrates. The stuff you eat ends up building muscle, not fat. As you build muscle, your base metabolism increases upwards further, because to maintain muscle you consume more energy than when maintaining fat.

Bear in mind that the only scientifically proven exercise that promotes weight loss is WALKING. No other exercise has been shown to have a strong correlation with weightloss - that's why all those exercise program DVD's always say ''exercise can help lose weight only with a calorie-restricted diet''. It's the dieting and not the exercise that makes you lose weight. Again, do you have the iron will not to eat?

Having a bit of a yo-yo relationship with my gut, I know that weightlifting works the best to keep the gut off and I only veer back into gut territory when I neglect weightlifting. Cardio is unhelpful, but that may just be my individual genetics.

My opinion: Do cardio after lifting weights if you must do it. But it will never be more than a supplement to lifting heavy stuff. You can lose fat just by lifting heavy, you don't need cardio.

Thomas summed it pretty good.

Cardio is strictly to increase your cardiovascular ability. Not to lose weight.

Food choices first and lifting heavy weights second allow you to lose weight.

Marks Daily Apple summs up the dangers of being Cardio obsessed. Do a search.

For effective weight loss, start with Paleo.

Robbie Wolf's book is probably the best as well as MARK Sissons.

A lot of the paleo stuff is very good info, especially Mark's daily apple

doing a 2-3 sets of heavy squats will burn fat way better than cardio.

also, take a look at dorian yates 6 week trainer videos on bodybuilding.com
that guy knows what he's doing... shorter but more intense weight sessions are effective. For example: Squats-1 set of 12 with light weight, 1 set of 8-10 rep at medium strain, and 1 all out effort set at 6-8 sets. Add some isolation exercise for quads, hams, and calves- 1 set 8-10 reps, medium strain, 1 set max effort 6-8reps

This kind of workout will burn about the same calorie amount as 45 min running, but will raise metabolism for a longer period afterwards. Also, by adding more lean tissue you promote long term fat loss/maintenance.

If you prefer non-weights, try sprints or bodyweight hindu squats with short rest periods and intense effort. Also a decent choice.

All the above advice is very good and absolutely correct for people trying to get rid of a little extra fat or people who are looking to do a long-term body transformation. If you're trying to gain 40 pounds as fast as possible, I would recommend doing some cardio. Specifically, I would recommend doing an hour of low intensity cardio (biking, elliptical, rowing, maybe running but be wary of your knees) first thing in the morning. In the morning your body's stores of glycogen are at their lowest and it takes the shortest amount of time to move to burning fat.

A couple of years ago I woke up and realized that I'd hit 230. This was before I knew anything about paleo diets or HIIT training, so I went on a very traditional diet and exercise program. I did two sessions at the gym most days, lots of cardio and lifted three times a week. I counted calories, cut down on meat and saturated fats, and ate a lot of soy products and whole grains. It worked. I started in March and by April I was down to 215 and under 200 by May and eventually hit a plateau at around 185-190. Unfortunately, it's very hard to maintain a program like that, so in the long run the paleo/strength training/HIIT method is the way to go.

If, however, you can really commit to restricting calories and putting in 2-3 hours at the gym 6 days a week, you will drop weight quicker than any other method. It's not really sustainable though. My suggestion would be to start with cardio and some lifting and then as you start to approach your weight goal begin to shift towards the strength and the HIIT.

A good way to lose weight is to do sets of 50-100 yard dashes. Do like five or six sets, two or three times a week. Keep doing that for like six months. Steady state cardio is basically muscle death, short sprints will generally increase muscle mass.

20-30 minutes of moderate cardio right after weight training session or in mornings after waking up are the best ways to drop weight burning grease the most. Intensity cardio allows you to burn a lot of calories but it can take you a lot of muscle and also water away, not very effective way if you are into fat burning. So the thing is training at 6570% of your max intensity(which is moderate range) for about 20-30 Mins when your glucogen reservoirs are empty . You can maximize fat burn previously taking termogenics, a sugar-free coffee cup is a good option if you dont have enough money to expend in supplements.

Quote: (07-07-2012 02:24 AM)Julius_Cesar Wrote:  

20-30 minutes of moderate cardio right after weight training session or in mornings after waking up are the best ways to drop weight burning grease the most. Intensity cardio allows you to burn a lot of calories but it can take you a lot of muscle and also water away, not very effective way if you are into fat burning. So the thing is training at 6570% of your max intensity(which is moderate range) for about 20-30 Mins when your glucogen reservoirs are empty . You can maximize fat burn previously taking termogenics, a sugar-free coffee cup is a good option if you dont have enough money to expend in supplements.

Newer research is showing high intensity is more effective.

You should separate cardio and weightlifting as mich as possible b/c you limit lean mass gains if you do both together. Also, short duration, high intensity cardo is better at preserving muscle mass than longer duration cardio. By improving lean mass %, you set yourself up for better long term success.

However, it does't really matter what sort of exercise you do. Anything is better than sitting at a desk for 8 hours followed by more sitting by the TV.
Sprinters may have a better looking body than long distance runners, but anything is better than being morbidly obese( and I've been there).

Walking a lot is great exercise for anyone and its how I lost 60+ lbs and its still the core of my fitness routine.

Weightlifting + cardio + eating every 2hrs = goal accomplished rather quickly

Quote: (07-09-2012 12:09 AM)Sanblz33 Wrote:  

The eating every 2 hours dogma has been debunked many times over as well as on some of these fitness threads. I suggest you go to Leangains and read the research.

Cardio, as been said, only makes you hungry. It doesn't help you lose weight. Food choices and caloric restriction and lifting heavy fuckin weights allows you to lose weight.

95% true go out and run 15+ miles a day. You'll lose weight, if you go to extreme cardio your body goes into survival mode and starts burning fat like crazy. (not saying you'll look sexy, you won't)

Problem is most people are lazy fucks and never get to that point. Don't even get me started on these lazy asses who "walk" marathons and call it an accomplishment.

Since when is it okay to give out medals for "trying" all part of creating lazy privledged kids.

Quote: (07-09-2012 11:14 AM)Zeus Wrote:  

Quote: (07-09-2012 12:09 AM)Sanblz33 Wrote:  

The eating every 2 hours dogma has been debunked many times over as well as on some of these fitness threads. I suggest you go to Leangains and read the research.

Cardio, as been said, only makes you hungry. It doesn't help you lose weight. Food choices and caloric restriction and lifting heavy fuckin weights allows you to lose weight.

If you are fat, doing too much cardio will be the least of your problems.

I hear fat people talk about fad diets and even have heard some say, "Fruit is bad, because fructose metabolizes into fat."

An audit of that person's lifestyle and would show that fruit isn't the problem.

If you need to lose 40 pounds, you are fat.

So doing too much cardio is the least of your worries.

Start doing cardio. I highly doubt you'll be able to do too much.

Thank you guys, I appreciate all the input. I been working out for 3 months now and have lost 20 pounds. I'm not sure if it's because of weight training or the long boring cardio that I been doing, but i'm going to start doing shorter more intense forms of cardio and going to continue to lift weights and see if it will boost my progression.

Anyone concerned about too much cardio should read this excellent article by Kurt Harris, MD, a proponent of paleo/archevore diet and lifestyle:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/p-nu...ase-part-i

Definitely food for thought.

Quote: (07-12-2012 12:42 PM)dirtman Wrote:  

Anyone concerned about too much cardio should read this excellent article by Kurt Harris, MD, a proponent of paleo/archevore diet and lifestyle:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/p-nu...ase-part-i

Definitely food for thought.

Thanks for the link. Too many people believe excessive cardio is healthy.

"The really good kind of exercise, resistance training, makes you more functional and stronger. That is the only sensible definition of fitness if we follow the hippocratic oath with our selves."

Amen!

Quote: (07-09-2012 01:28 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

If you are fat, doing too much cardio will be the least of your problems.

I hear fat people talk about fad diets and even have heard some say, "Fruit is bad, because fructose metabolizes into fat."

An audit of that person's lifestyle and would show that fruit isn't the problem.

If you need to lose 40 pounds, you are fat.

So doing too much cardio is the least of your worries.

Start doing cardio. I highly doubt you'll be able to do too much.

I agree. If you are obese. Basically doing anything is better than nothing. I think once you get to a semi-coordinated althletic level. Then you can worry about doing to much.

Basically what everyone else said, to lose weight is probably like 80% diet. You can run and lift all you want but if you eat shit foods it's not going to do much. Focus on eating lean meats like Chicken and Fish with a lot of vegetables and steer away from red meat as much as possible, as well as anything high in saturated fat.

And don't eat too much bread or pasta, makes it much harder to drop lbs.

If you've got the time, go on a nice long hike instead. Long duration lower intensity cardio burns fat instead of just draining the precious muscle glycogen you want to use for weight lifting. Plus you get to look at all the pretty trees.

It's been almost 4 weeks.

By now you should have done 16-20 cardio sessions.

How many did you do?

How much weight have you lost?

it seems like cardio alone will only get you "skinny fat."

Quote: (07-31-2012 02:01 PM)the chef Wrote:  

Yes, but skinny fat is better than fat fat. If you're 40 lbs overweight, your first priority should be losing the weight anyway you can.

Quote: (07-31-2012 02:01 PM)the chef Wrote:  

Untrue. Look at distance runners and other endurance athletes.

Most are lean and some are "ripped" - to the extent a skinny guy can ever be properly considered ripped.

i'd beg to differ.

yes, some marathon runners are "ripped," but while a lot of them have a skinny silhouette they certainly don't have an aesthetically pleasing figure.

compare the figure of an endurance runner to someone who focuses more on high intensity interval training like a sprinter and the sprinter will get more looks from females.

cardio will help you to shed weight, but only done in the correct manner (high intensity interval training). weightlifting and diet combined with sprinting on off days will get you in shape faster than just jogging on the treadmill.

Quote: (07-31-2012 03:58 PM)the chef Wrote:  

i'd beg to differ.

yes, some marathon runners are "ripped," but while a lot of them have a skinny silhouette they certainly don't have an aesthetically pleasing figure.

compare the figure of an endurance runner to someone who focuses more on high intensity interval training like a sprinter and the sprinter will get more looks from females.

cardio will help you to shed weight, but only done in the correct manner (high intensity interval training). weightlifting and diet will get you in shape faster than just jogging on the treadmill.

First you say cardio will make you skinny fat.

Now you say it will not give you a 'pleasing' body.

You are arguing just to argue.

Show me some fat marathon runners.

[Image: boston.jpg]

I can't let advice like yours slide because it's counter-productive to guys.

A guy who is fat doesn't need to get all wrapped up in nuance and details.

A fat guy isn't fat because he's not doing the "perfect" exercises. He's fat because he's a) inactive and b) eats too much.

A fat fuck needs to get his ass to the gym. What he initially starts doing doesn't matter. What matters is that he gets to the gym and does something.

Even jumping jacks in a bedroom is a good exercise for a guy who currently does nothing.

Once he's lost some of that disgusting fat he can worry about starting a program that will give him what you consider a "pleasing physique."

Quote: (07-31-2012 04:05 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Quote: (07-31-2012 03:58 PM)the chef Wrote:  

i'd beg to differ.

cardio will help you to shed weight, but only done in the correct manner (high intensity interval training). weightlifting and diet will get you in shape faster than just jogging on the treadmill.

First you say cardio will make you skinny fat.

Now you say it will not give you a 'pleasing' body.

You are arguing just to argue.

Show me some fat marathon runners.

[Image: boston.jpg]

I can't let (bad) advice like yours slide because it's counter-productive to guys.

A guy who is fat doesn't need to get all wrapped up in nuance and details.

A fat guy isn't fat because he's not doing the "perfect" exercises. He's fat because he's a) inactive and b) eats too much.

A fat fuck needs to get his ass to the gym. What he initially starts doing doesn't matter. What matters is that he gets to the gym and does something.

Even jumping jacks in a bedroom is a good exercise for a guy who currently does nothing.

Once he's lost some of that disgusting fat he can worry about starting a program that will give him what you consider a "pleasing physique."

first of all, i'm not arguing that a fat dude needs to handle his business.

but, what? i'm saying that being skinny fat isn't a "pleasing" physique.

there are no fat marathon runners, but there are skinny fat marathon runners. there's a big difference, and i explained that in my original post. having little muscle yet having a thin frame makes you skinny fat.

[Image: runner-sprinter-body-comparison.jpg]