rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

My workout routine

My workout routine

So i've been going to the gym for 2 years or so, and more intensively for the last few months. But I've been always working on the machines and doing a lot of cardio.

Then I changed my plan to mostly free weights and minimal warmup cardio (5 - 10 minutes of fast walking at the most). The results are awesome. I'm really surprised.

So here's my tip: Ignore the machines and do the free weights.

Here's my workout plan, I do all of those each time (2 - 3 times a week, 3 sets each, 8 reps, maximum weight I can handle to finish all sets, max. 90 second breaks between sets):

[Image: Z5Ts4.png]

(I googled those pics so I could learn the English words..)

If I still have some stamina left afterwards I do one or two machines randomly. The whole workout rarely takes longer than 60 minutes.

I thought I'd share. Cheers! [Image: smile.gif]

My workout routine

I would change back rows (I assume you mean seated rows) for barbell rows and the dips using the chair for either skull crushers or close grip bench press. If you are enough strong to to do the "real" dips its even better.

babell rows:

[Image: back34.jpg]

skull crushers:

[Image: barbell-skull-crushers.jpg]

close grip bench press:

[Image: close-grip-press.jpg]

dips:

[Image: dips.jpg]

I'd also add some hamstrings exercise, try romanian deadlift (or good moornings, although it focuses a bit more on lower back)

My workout routine

I'm gonna interject real friendly-like and say that barbell rows and good mornings are a good way to slip discs. A good morning nearly killed Bruce Lee.

Instead of that stuff, try Kroc Rows *(for building large back muscles), standard deadlifts, and regular back hyperextensions, or better, back bridges.

Properly done chinups (chest puffed out, shoulder blades drawn in) will bulk up your back quite a bit, I have also found.

**Almost strictly from sandbag deadlifts and back bridges, I have bulked my back into the rippling slabs of muscle it is today.

My workout routine

I believe rather than REPLACE one exercise with another (back rows for barbell rows), it would be effective to INCORPORATE these into your regimen as different types of exercises will diversify your workout and make it less boring and predictable.

My workout routine

I have started doing barbell rows and do it every 2nd time now I am in the gym. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
@hypesession: I can't imagine workout to be boring. If I am at the limit of weight each time, I am too busy focussing to get bored. [Image: wink.gif]

My workout routine

Quote: (07-03-2012 11:12 PM)Hades Wrote:  

I'm gonna interject real friendly-like and say that barbell rows and good mornings are a good way to slip discs. A good morning nearly killed Bruce Lee.

Instead of that stuff, try Kroc Rows *(for building large back muscles), standard deadlifts, and regular back hyperextensions, or better, back bridges.

Properly done chinups (chest puffed out, shoulder blades drawn in) will bulk up your back quite a bit, I have also found.

**Almost strictly from sandbag deadlifts and back bridges, I have bulked my back into the rippling slabs of muscle it is today.

Barbell rows are definitely a terrible idea. It took me six months of self-imposed physical therapy and yoga to recover from a slipped disc I got from doing that stuff.

Chinups and lat pulldowns are all you really need. I've even cut out seated rows. My back is still enormous and ripped.

My workout routine

barbell rows are safe if you do the proper technique and move weights you really can manage.

About goodmorning I've never felt the need to perform them since to work hamstrings you have a even better/more effective exercise which is Romanian deadlift.

My workout routine

Quote: (07-04-2012 10:30 AM)Don_Johnson Wrote:  

Barbell rows are definitely a terrible idea. It took me six months of self-imposed physical therapy and yoga to recover from a slipped disc I got from doing that stuff.

Chinups and lat pulldowns are all you really need. I've even cut out seated rows. My back is still enormous and ripped.

thats because you see guys abusing of weights they barely can move, the same with dumbbel rows, they use huge dumbells but with an horrible technique.

The only ones that are always somewhat risky would be the the conventional deadlifts and squats, because even when you have years doing them you can lose the proper technique during a set after a few reps (if you work close to your max).

My workout routine

Quote: (07-04-2012 09:20 AM)muc Wrote:  

I have started doing barbell rows and do it every 2nd time now I am in the gym. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
@hypesession: I can't imagine workout to be boring. If I am at the limit of weight each time, I am too busy focussing to get bored. [Image: wink.gif]

Nice. I like your workout though. In my opinion as long as there's squats deadlifts and bench in there and your increasing weight and being explosive it's a good regimen.

I went to the gym for a month brought my trifecta to about 225 each. Granted I've been on some form of exercise for a long time. Like 10 years. Now I'm running, pushups, planks, pullups. Stuff like that because I have certain body goals and I play basketball. I'm not as strong physically when I'm not lifting but I find that calisthenics can be a much more challenging mental workout, which is different.

So in a month or two i'll get back in the gym and do weights again. That's cool that you don't get bored of the gym, more power to you.