rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

A beginner's guide and reading list to jobhunting and networking

This will be the last of my longwinded posts on networking. I apologise in advance for any mistakes made.

Herein I am going to discuss some thoughts I have on jobhunting and networking, as well as putting up a recommended reading list as a sort of self-study course. It's aimed at the kind of person I was once: shy, extremely introverted, no friends, just out of the educational system; so if I discuss things from a very basic beginning it's because I want anyone from even the lowest level of jobhacking game to be able build up his network from scratch and do some alpha jobhunting.

This is by no means a definitive discussion. This is my work in progress. This is the theoretical skeleton for networking that I have developed and that I intend to develop over the next few years. Do feel free to critique, expand, or tear down sections that you feel you need to comment on.

I will start off with a discussion of alpha vs beta job hunting techniques. I will then talk about how to give yourself a quick crashcourse in jobhunting should you be currently unemployed. I will then go through an extensive reading/to do list that will build you up into a confident networker.

ALPHA MALE VERSUS BETA MALE IN THE JOB MARKET

While I'm not the biggest fan of the Alpha Vs Beta dichotomy, it is a useful tool in describing behaviour. Let's compare how I think an Alpha male and a Beta male would approach jobhunting:

The Alpha male knows that he brings value into this world. He also knows that humans being humans, they're too caught up in their own problems to always recognise his value. The Alpha male knows therefore that he must raise awareness of his value in the eyes of others. The Alpha male also understands there are those who refuse to recognise his value or who will deliberately undermine his value. The Alpha male understands that his value is an asset to an organisation, and he does not engage with organisations that is not willing to look after its assets.

The Beta male is unsure of the value he brings into this world. Unsure, he looks to others to help validate his existence. He hopes that others will be able recognise the value buried deep withing. The Beta male accepts that being unrecognised or being undermined is part of the human condition. The Beta male sees his job as an asset, which he clings to even if its rewards to him are low.

The Alpha male understands and markets his value. He constantly affirms his right to move up the ranks to bring greater value to himself and the world. He neither does more than he is supposed to (which demeans his value) nor less (for that will not allow his glory to manifest). He knows that the company would sooner promote him than some stranger from outside the company, and he uses that knowledge to negotiate a superior reward in terms of salary as a suitable compensation of this advanced knowledge of the company.

The Beta male feels that it's up to others to recognise his value. He works really hard at his job, hoping someone will recognise his effort. He hopes for a promotion but does not take steps to understand how he can manifest value in a higher position. He becomes bitter and disgruntled that no one is willing to recognise how hard he works. He allows his superiors to take advantage of him by overburdening him with work, which demeans his value to himself and to the world, thereby making the world a worse off place. He may also be a slacker, being paid but somehow managing to subtract value from everyone and everything, unable to do every man's god-given mission: Leave the world slightly better than you found it.

The Alpha male realises that human beings are social animals. The Alpha male seeks an environment where he can work with people who will appreciate the value he gives and who return the value. The Alpha male recognises that every single person around him may be able to be a shining mirror to his value, giving back as soon as they receive. The Alpha male keeps an open mind to every social contact, but does not bother himself when rejected or when meeting someone who is unable to return value - The Alpha male does not expend energy on these, but rather spends his time and energy and thoughts on cultivating those people who help elevate his own value to himself and to the world. As such, an Alpha male will often receive value-increasing opportunities that diffuse to himself through his network, allowing him to elevate himself and those around him.

The Beta male does not realise that human beings are social creatures, and he expects people to recognise his value simply because he is breathing. He does not take active steps to ensure a social and work environment which breeds value to himself and others. He wastes time with people that subtract value from his existence. He spends time and energy and thoughts on the things and people who make him angry and depressed, and worst of all, accepting of his fate. The Beta male does not receive opportunities through his contacts because he expects people to recognise his value without it having been marketed through a network.

The Alpha male sees a job interview as a formality. He will usually have made friends with either someone on the job interview board, or else with someone who wants him in the organisation and has prepped him for the interview. The Alpha male understands that human beings are fickle, and that the job may be denied him simply because he has a dimple on his chin that some fat lady interviewing him didn't like - to this end, he does not take the outcome of such an interview personally. In any case, the Alpha male is constantly actively searching for new opportunities, and therefore always has several options on the backburner - the loss of one job opportunity is not a disaster to him. He also attempts to maintain contacts or make new contacts via the job interview. This makes job interviewing a mere tool in the Alpha male's networking arsenal.

The Beta male has read endless articles on how to prepare for a job interview. He is brainwashed into believing that the interview is the be-all and end-all of searching for a job. He sincerely believes that he must influence the outcome of the interviewing by turning into some super-employee version of himself that does not really exist. He blames himself for failing a job interviewing, not realising how little influence he really had on the outcome. He stakes everything on a few opportunities and does a failed interview has potentially devastating consequences for himself. He does not use job interviews as an excuse to network, meaning that new opportunities in that same organisation will never preferentially diffuse to him.

The Alpha male sees a resume as an identity check formality that he must submit to human resources once he has the job (which he managed to secure without a resume through his network). He probably already has made some acquaintances in the HR department and his resume is filed without even being read. It is sent straight to a security clearance company for identity and credential verification, and once his credentials are certified, the resume is never looked at again, except by people who may attempt to poach the Alpha male by offering a better position in another company.

The Beta male agonises endlessly over his resume. He relies on his resume as a first point of introduction to the world of employer's. He has been brainwashed by endless useless articles on jobhunting that a great resume is the way to secure a great job. He is not aware that the primary use of resumes is not to screen in candidates, but to screen them out. He does not understand that in a cybersea of millions of resumes, that no resume will ever differentiate him from all the other faceless jobseekers. He does not understand that no matter how well his resume is written, that the HR lady will gladly throw it in the trash can simply because she is having a bad period and your name reminds you of her ex.

The Alpha male browses help wanted ads in the late hours of the night or early hours of the morning. He does not allow browsing the ads to take up valuable networking, phone-calling, face-to-face meeting time, so he looks at them when most people are sleeping. He sees help wanted ads as a way of taking the pulse of the industries he's researching, identify the most obvious skills shortages on the market. He knows that help wanted ads only show a small proportion of the many opportunities available for work, and that the ads represent companies at their most desperate. He also sees it as a networking opportunity. Should he decide to apply for a specific job, he will first call ahead to try and arrange a face-to-face meeting with someone in the employer's organisation, both to get a competitive edge in the job application process and to expand his value-creating network. The Alpha male knows that every ad draws a huge amount of responses usually, and that the odds are against him when responding to an ad, but since this is just one jobhunting instrument in his toolkit, he doesn't stress about it. Indeed, the Alpha male spends little time on answering ads, which gives power to the employers, and more time on networking and jobhacking, which gives power to himself.

The Beta male will spend his daylight hours in his pyjamas, scanning newspaper and internet job ads. He will then send in his resumes, not considering for a moment how to hack the process, but blindly just sending them forth. He will grow despondent if no one calls him back. He sits and mopes at home, doing nothing more but passively respond to ads, and he wonders why he can't get a job. He feels like employers have all the power and that he is a sad powerless thing at their mercy.

The Alpha male has an idea of what he wants from a job, and those around him know exactly what they are looking for when asked to help. If his contacts cannot help, the Alpha male seeks out new contacts.

The Beta male just wants a job, any job. He blankets cyberspace with his resumes. He asks everyone he knows to help him find a job, but doesn't help them by specifying exactly what he wants. He is helpless when his existing contacts cannot help him. He blames God or government or society for his failure to find a job.

In a nutshell: The Alpha male manifests himself through those aspects of jobhunting that he can control, and prioritises the development of relationships that increase value to all involved; while the Beta male is stuck handing over control to others, and prioritises the same things his masters prioritise: job ads, resumes, interviews.

Here's a schematic I made summarising what I think are the typical Alpha and Beta approaches to jobhunting (somewhat based on a diagram in the book What Color is Your Parachute, discussed later on in this post):
[Image: attachment.jpg6551]   

A CRASH COURSE IN JOBHUNTING

If you're unemployed and desperate for a job and need to start pounding the pavement NOW if you're ever going to make rent, I recommend the following resources (you can easily finish reading both in approximately 3 hours):

Fastest way to the job interview - This is a free ebook which gives you a broad overview of jobhacking as well as guidance on the traditional send-a-resume approach.
I summarised it here: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-11244.html
Download it here: http://bookboon.com/en/business-ebooks/c...-interview

A guide to cold calling - A three page guideline on how to call a company and hustle your way to an interview with the hiring manager. Brilliant in its simplicity and brevity. All you need to do after reading this is to swallow your anxiety and pick up the damn phone.
Download it here: http://www.sass.uottawa.ca/careers/tools/cold_calls.pdf

A FLEDGELING NETWORKER'S SELF-STUDY CURRICULUM

Since evidence suggests that attractive men attract more friends and contacts, I first start off weightlifting manuals - the best way to be an attractive male is to have a v-shaped chest, after all. Next, I move on to two manuals which teach you the basic rules of social interaction; this is aimed more at people with less life experience/wisdom - you need to know the rules before you break them. Next, I move on to Roosh's books, and explain why you must read Day Bang and why cold approaching girls is the best way to learn how to cold approach for jobs. I then discuss specific jobhunting/networking resources that I feel are impressive or highly useful.

First off, the available evidence suggests that attractive people make friends and network more easily; They also earn more at work, and are more likely to be hired for job (a nice summary of the evidence is present in the book :59 seconds by Richard Wiseman). Furthermore, happier people also attract more people. As a man you can improve both your physical attractiveness and your overall mood by lifting weights. Before you start working on your relationships with other people, you need to work on yourself. And nothing builds confidence like lifting heavy objects. There are two manuals which you can study to begin a weight lifting program:

Stronglifts 5x5 - this is the exercise program that transformed me from a fat slob into a person with a somewhat athletic physique. It is a great program for someone training by himself, with poor knowledge of technique, and with poor baseline fitness. You start with an empty barbell, and slowly build up the weight from there - this allows one to practice technique and avoid injury. You can download the training manual for the program here : http://stronglifts.com/free-stronglifts-5x5-report/

Starting Strength - although I've never read Starting Strength it comes with such strong recommendations from so many people that I decided to include it. You will gain strength and lose fat much more rapidly than with Stronglifts, but at the greater risk of injuring yourself or picking up bad lifting habits. You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-...0982522738

Once you've started working on yourself, you need to start working on others. If you lack life wisdom or experience, the most important thing is to not blow up in people's face, to not screw up. You need to know the basic rules of social interaction. While you cannot win in life without breaking some rules here and there, you're going to spectacularly bomb if you don't understand and know the rules to begin with.

How to Win Friends and Influence People - By Dale Carnegie, this is a classic book of how not to piss everyone off and get people to think you're a decent bloke. Sometimes that's all that's necessary to be successful. Ideally you need to get your hands on the 1936 version, or at the latest the 1961 version, because the subsequent versions were massacred by Dale Carnegie's wife and daughter.
You can download it here:
http://mustreadebooks.com/register.htm
Or ask around at your favourite secondhand bookstores. I wouldn't read the latest edition, it has suffered too much from a feminine touch.

What Color is Your Parachute
- This book by Richard Bolles lays down wise ground rules for your interactions with the world of employment. It is written in high school English yet has ideas which are clearly based on wisdom and experience. It advised both on orthodox and networking ways of securing a job, gives the best advice on job interviews I've read anywhere, and gives an incredibly clear plan to discover within yourself what you want to do. He explains how to go about jobhunting without demeaning yourself and without causing offense; it is very much a social skills workbook for beginner careerhackers. This is the kind of book people should read while they are still in school and wondering what to do with their life, and wondering how to look for a job. Much of the previous mentioned title 'Fastest way to the Job Interview' is in fact a thinly camouflaged ripoff of sections from this book.

My summary of the networking portions of the book is present here:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-13545.html
You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/What-Color-Your-Pa...1607740117

Both of the above books will teach you how to navigate your interactions so as not to cause offense, and to come across as a generally nice guy (which often is all you need to do to get what you want). The next level in your interactions is to develop the skills necessary to build rapport with total strangers that you have approached at random. For myself, my networking and conversation skills advanced in leaps and bounds only when I started hitting on chicks. There is something about a beautiful woman that motivates one to crawl out of his shell. Also, I've found that approaching people for networking is not nearly as difficult as approaching chicks to get laid, and if you can master the latter then you will do fine with the former. Building rapport with a girl is like an intense all-or-nothing sprint, while potential colleagues will usually be more forgiving of bad game and will usually offer you more opportunities to build a relationship over time, which puts one under a lot less pressure. Building a network will not necessarily teach you how to develop rapport with women, but build rapport with women and you WILL improve on your networking skills. Therefore read and apply Bang and Day Bang by Roosh; but of the two, Day Bang is the more essential for developing networking skills.

Day Bang
- The networking approach resembles day game. As such, Roosh's book is a valuable guide. In networking and in day game, you cold approach with an elderly opener and build rapport with rambling and the occasional question. A significant amount of the conversational system in Day Bang can be transferred to networking conversations without changing much, although I have yet to formulate a networking equivalent to GALNUC. Also, since I don't feel comfortable with the pet store openByer for networking, I intend to use 'Do you know where is the nearest library?' though I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Get Day Bang here: http://www.bangguides.com/game/daybang/

Okay, so you're lifting weights, you know the basics of not pissing people off and you're cold approaching girls and developing rapport and conversation skills. You now have a basic foundation to develop Alpha male jobhunting/networking techniques. Now you want to start cold approaching people to add to your network.

The best book on networking is John Davie's The $100 000+ career.
I've reviewed and summarised it here: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-12264.html
Do read this book, it is the closest thing to a game guide on networking.
You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/100-000-Career-Net...0+000+career

Alternatively, if you have money to burn consider the Simon Black Network Infiltration system of paying a lawyer to network for you.
See my summary here: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-13208.html
and download it free here:http://sovereignman.com/Network%20Infiltration.pdf

Okay, now that you know how to network you have get out there and meet people. Here's a thread from the forum that discusses which places to get your networking on. While I take everything Gmanifesto says with a pinch of salt, I like his list of places to network at. Find the thread here: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-10...ht=network

Consider crashing conferences for networking.
Here's a one page summary on how to work a conference:
http://www.bu.edu/eng/careers/documents/Workaroom.pdf
Notice the opener used, "So, how did you end up in this place?"
Need advice on how to sneak into a conference in the first place?
Here's a thread I started on that topic: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-11514.html

I don't really trust internet social networks at this stage. I feel nothing can replace the power of face-to-face meetings. That said, Youngmobileglobal wrote an excellent Guide to Career-Hacking with LinkedIn. Don't touch social networks until you've read this guide!
Find it here: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-7895.html
For the brave and adventurous who wish to network and jobhunt in foreign lands, do also read Youngmobileglobal's Career Leapfrogging Blueprint.
Find it here: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-4156.html

Well, that's about everything of use that I have to share on the subject. I hope that this post and the reading materials referred to will help build even a complete newbie into a networker, the kind of man who creates chances for opportunities to find him, rather than wait around being helpless.

And since I have a weird sense of humour, I would like to take this opportunity to ask:
Was this beta?

Great info, thanks man.

Great Data sheet. Much appreciated.

Rob

And none of the people in the career center in my college ever told me stuff like this. I'm locking this post in my head and planning to network the balls out of that alumni program soon as I hit campus.

And what's crazy about life is that the most random person you meet does something really awesome. I was on the bus with this one older guy. He has to be a forum member here. Dude was like tattooed damn near everywhere! And when I hopped off the bus to apply to this hotel, dude tells me he owns one.

But my question is once you get the number of someone you've networked with, how do you keep them in contact even when you both are not in the same state? Its like I am good at holding a conversation as regards to networking, but I never seem to keep the chain bonded.

And also how can I like connect with such people on a relaxed/personal level? I don't wanna make the tattoo man seem like im some rando kid whos just out for a job. But someone he can be cool with and help on the long run.

Nope.

Great info. Thanks, Thomas.

If I may add, I'd recommend combining the knowledge from "How to win friends and influentiate people" with the teachings from "48 Laws of power" by Robert Greene.

This book has been covered here many times, but I love how they complete each other. Carnegie gives me the image of a wise, sweet old man who wants to please everyone. Greene is a clever wolf, hungry for power, to whom lying and cheating are not only acceptable but required in the quest for power.

Ultimately, they're both about getting people to do what you want, but to me, it's been extremely important to realize that you can't be nice all the time and from time to time you have to crush people so that you can have your way.

As said in "48 Laws", you should have your iron hand in a velvet glove.

Quote: (06-23-2012 09:20 PM)Rosca Wrote:  

But my question is once you get the number of someone you've networked with, how do you keep them in contact even when you both are not in the same state? Its like I am good at holding a conversation as regards to networking, but I never seem to keep the chain bonded.

And also how can I like connect with such people on a relaxed/personal level? I don't wanna make the tattoo man seem like im some rando kid whos just out for a job. But someone he can be cool with and help on the long run.

To your first question: How do you bang a girl when you both are not in the same state? Most of us do not have that level of game or energy. Logistics is as much of an issue in networking as in gaming. Bear in mind networking is meeting people after you've met them, so you have to be able to take your network contacts on face-to-face 'dates'. Build your network according to your logistical situation.

To your second question: If you're out for a job, just go indirect, like the way you wouldn't ask a girl for sex when first meeting her during the day. Use an elderly opener, ramble, ask the occasional question, let the other person speak if they want to.
At some point ask, "So where are you from?"
This will help carry the conversation and you'll get an idea if this contact is logistically viable for you.
At some point later in the conversation, ask, "Excuse me, but I didn't get your name?" If you've already been introduced, say, "I must apologise, I'm absolutely terrible with names. Could I get your name again?" (If it's a weird name feel free to ask them to spell it, it really helps with remembering their name, because if you pull this 'I'm terrible' line too often people feel like you just don't care enough)
It's natural after asking for a name to then ask "So Mr XXX, do you mind telling me what you do?"
Usually they will then ask you what you do. Phrase it so, "I am currently working at ZZZ/I am currently in transition. But I am looking for opportunities in the YYY industry."
Ramble on why you want to be in YYY industry. The contact will interrupt you if they know something or someone in YYY industry. Otherwise just move on to a new topic.
Even if they don't interrupt you, but you find that you like them and have a good rapport with them, get their contact details and call them 2-3 days later to arrange a meetup. If you have good rapport with someone, and you meet them regularly, then at some point they may meet someone in YYY industry and they will say that someone, 'Hey! I have a buddy who really wants to break into YYY industry!'
Also, get used to rejection. Some people just will not want to be friends with you, just as some chicks will not want to be pumped by you.
[Image: attachment.jpg6576]   

Quote: (06-24-2012 05:27 AM)Ringo Wrote:  

This book has been covered here many times, but I love how they complete each other. Carnegie gives me the image of a wise, sweet old man who wants to please everyone. Greene is a clever wolf, hungry for power, to whom lying and cheating are not only acceptable but required in the quest for power.

I disagree. Greene is an academic with a BA in classical studies. He has never run a business or been in a position of power. I've attempted to read 48 laws but it's so sterile it didn't maintain my interest. I'm not sure how useful a manual on power is from someone who has never wielded it. It would be like taking game advice from a virgin. So I wouldn't recommend 48 laws as a 'must-read' book, simply because it is not the real-life application of real-life personal experience. If you want to learn about power, it's probably better to try and network with those who have it and then observe them.

On the other hand Carnegie grew up with a aggressive and short temper and insatiable need to always be right. In depression era America the only job he could get was as a salesman, but the constant fights and arguments he had with people made him unsuccessful both as a person and as a salesman. At some point he had an epiphany and forced himself to calm down, swallow his pride, and let other people be right once in a while. From there he became a successful salesman. The stuff in Carnegie's book is raw wisdom from the field, from a man who went from an arrogant know-it-all without any real friends or prospects to the one of the most popular, respected people in America. I recommend it because it is 'real', not an academic study.

That said, I know a lot of people on this forum think 48 laws is a great book. Perhaps it is merely my personal taste that leans away from it.

I thought this guide deserved a little update.

First of all, I get decent results from my version of GALNUC, the WNDHC. I discuss that, as well as the thought process you need to go through in order to select strangers to approach in random places in this thread:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-14232.html

Derek Sivers released a free ebook for musicians, it contains an excellent section on 'meeting people,' it's basically an inner game guide for meeting people. He also gives two top tips: Meet 3 people a week, and categorise people into those who you contact every few weeks, months, years, etc. Download it for free at:http://sivers.org/pdf

If you're cold calling companies, find inspiration in this hilarious example of a cold call that Youngmobileglobal made:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-5099-p...l#pid73129

If you don't believe in networking, read some of the jobhunting stories here for inspiration:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-14282.html

If you still don't believe in networking (networking denialist!), and actually believe a resume gets you places, then you may be tempted to lie on your resume. If you're going to lie, do it properly. GoldinBoy breaks it down here:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-14223-...#pid234249

I think this guide is a bit more complete now. Feel free to critique. Do let me know on this thread or by PM whenever the stuff is helpful/unhelpful. I am eager to hear jobhunting/networking stories.

Right on - nice datasheet. I'm self-employed, but I'm assuming most of this stuff applies just the same for expanding your reach and getting new clients, meeting possible venture partners, etc. Thanks!

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I will come back to this thread tonight. Looks interesting.

One thing which never gets discussed is the role of psychological evaluation tests that HR departments throw at you before even accepting the resume.
Last night, after submitting an on-line resume to a posted job, I was immanently taken to a psych test. The last page of it told me to write about my self in 2500 characters or less.
I am not making this shit up.
I once endured four of these things in a row (one of the companies went bankrupt). At the end of the day I was ready to shoot kittens.
So how do you get past these "tests"?

Quote: (08-13-2012 10:20 PM)ColSpanker Wrote:  

Last night, after submitting an on-line resume to a posted job,

The italic part represents what you did wrong.

Quote: (08-13-2012 10:20 PM)ColSpanker Wrote:  

So how do you get past these "tests"?

There is always someone with authority to overrule HR and any psych tests within the company. If you've networked your way into a job, these things don't matter, because you know someone who knows someone who can help you bypass the hurdles.

If you want to get a job only through your stellar online resume, you're in the wrong thread.

When I was jobhunting I eventually discovered that the best way to use ads is to use the ad as an excuse/prop to talk to people at the organisation in question.

Eg. There was an ad for a position in non-profit organisation. Rather than inquire through the agency, I contacted people in the organisation directly (the agency wouldn't reveal which organisation it was but some google-fu quickly gave me a shortlist of the organisations in the geographic area, and it became obvious which one it was). I spoke to 3 different people in the organisation telephonically, all of whom seem impressed with me and encouraged me to join up (and I was only calling to ask about what the job would entail). Each one referred me to one higher up, till I got to a high level manager. The manager then gave me the relevant contact details of someone in HR.

The mistake I then made was not driving through to that HR and handing in my resume in person. I already had a reference from someone within the organistion, who had given me an alternative way to apply for the job, which already differentiated me a hell of a lot from the other candidates. If I had met the HR guy in person I reckon I would have got the interview, but at least I got a callback from HR that they were still busy acquiring candidates. The job itself was far from my home so I focused on other opportunities and never followed up, and they never contacted me back.

Point I'm trying to make: If you don't want your jobhunting experience to be a myriad of shit tests after shit test, then you can't just passively respond to ads. You have to find ways to work around the system. That's the whole point of this thread. The ad system is not designed to please you, it's designed to please the employer; so since we are Alpha males we instead change the game to one that gives us power - networking.

excellent thread but could have been summed up in one line my dad taught me as a child:

"its not what you know, son, its who you know"

Quote: (08-14-2012 06:27 AM)reaper23 Wrote:  

excellent thread but could have been summed up in one line my dad taught me as a child:

I agree.

But it's like when players tell newbies to 'Just be yourself.'

Stuff that seems obvious to experienced people and naturals needs to be broken down and explained to some people.

This thread represents all the stuff I had to learn the hard way, and frankly it doesn't need to be that hard. If there had just been someone in my life to explain the basics of networking, I would have gone so much further so much faster.

Everything you need to know about networking I've broken down into it's smallest components on this thread or in my summaries; if it's not there it's in the recommended reading material.

Plus, some people struggle to internalise the 'Who you know' statement, they cling to blue pill methods of jobhunting - sending in resumes, prepping for job interviews, etc. The resources in this thread make this easier for those people who are better at knowing 'what' rather than 'who'.

Quote: (08-14-2012 08:01 AM)Thomas the Rhymer Wrote:  

I agree.

But it's like when players tell newbies to 'Just be yourself.'

Stuff that seems obvious to experienced people and naturals needs to be broken down and explained to some people.

This thread represents all the stuff I had to learn the hard way, and frankly it doesn't need to be that hard. If there had just been someone in my life to explain the basics of networking, I would have gone so much further so much faster.

Everything you need to know about networking I've broken down into it's smallest components on this thread or in my summaries; if it's not there it's in the recommended reading material.

Plus, some people struggle to internalise the 'Who you know' statement, they cling to blue pill methods of jobhunting - sending in resumes, prepping for job interviews, etc. The resources in this thread make this easier for those people who are better at knowing 'what' rather than 'who'.

it was a great thread, didnt mean to make you defensive. I am a natural at this stuff so it was interesting to read it systematically laid out like that...reminded me of me!

especially the submit your resume after the fact part and where the interview is a formality. I just landed a new gig, CEO, doing just the very same thing. I was brought in by someone on the board who i knew personally...everything else was a formality.

What do you think of WHAT DOES SOMEBODY HAVE TO DO TO GET A JOB AROUND HERE by Cynthia Shapiro. She's a former HR manager who advises people to "game" the HR department as much as possible.

Quote: (08-14-2012 09:22 PM)ColSpanker Wrote:  

What do you think of WHAT DOES SOMEBODY HAVE TO DO TO GET A JOB AROUND HERE by Cynthia Shapiro. She's a former HR manager who advises people to "game" the HR department as much as possible.

I haven't read it, but I took a quick look at its description. I also quickly skimmed over the reviews. I wasn't impressed.

I reckon that if your main strategy is to game HR you're doing it wrong.

You should be gaming the guy who can overrule HR.

But if you read it and found it useful, please share your thoughts on it.

It's a good book just to see what goes on inside HR. In my career, I hated HR departments with a passion. These were the assholes who cut your pay, reduced your benefits or just fired your ass. The book gives you a look into the world of HR: a bunch of terrified people who worry that next person they approve will cause a problem and get their collective butts in a sling.
I've had better luck over the years networking. Probably be going back to that angle; I used to delight in doing a runaround the HR department which I'm sure endeared me to them.
But these days it's tough to find the person who can hire you. Oh well, I've identified three local companies as targets, time to do some recon work.

Time for an update.

Firstly, I've realised that the link to 'Fastest Way to the Job Interview' was broken. You can still download it via the summary, but here's the correct link:
http://bookboon.com/en/business-ebooks/c...-interview

I've summarised Dale Carnegie's book, 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' over here:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-18092-...#pid315012

Houston dug up some cool networking case studies here:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-17861.html

Bonedaddy gives the lowdown on what it's like to hire people (he would rather have someone network his way to him):
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-16846-...#pid288113

Palo_alto doesn't like to work at work, and networking is an important component of his slacker strategy. It keeps him visible in the company and everyone knows him and likes him, which I believe gives people the impression that he is far more productive than he really is. Check out his networking-slacker method at:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-16330.html

Are you struggling to meet people? Sometimes random people you bump into in day to day life can hold the opportunities you are looking for. Consider El Mech's and Americanbk day game hacks, which can be applied to meeting people in general:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-16884-...#pid289468
(and scroll to the post below the daygame hacks to see how one should stand in a queue.)

I second this. It's how I got my job, and how I everyone I know got their job pretty much.

Quote: (11-26-2012 09:36 PM)Balkanite Wrote:  

I second this. It's how I got my job, and how I everyone I know got their job pretty much.

If it's not too much trouble, could you elaborate on that statement in the "How did you get your current job" thread: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-14282.html

Great information thanks

Update:

Uncle YMG continues to dish out wisdom to young wannabe jobseekers:
His Graduate International Career Pipelining breaks down what a young gunner needs to think about if he wants an international career:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-18232.html
If you are going into tertiary education, YMG breaks down how to get maximum networking advantage in his Advantages of Studying Abroad thread:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-18233.html

Poppinopolis and I have been brainstorming networking ideas via PM, he's built up a role model picture of what a successfully networking individual. Check out his Thoughts on Networking:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-18990-...#pid338178

As an interesting aside, I stumbled on an article which claims that drug dealers need to network too:
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ro...1/art00004

I'd like to add some info to this thread, although I don't think it will be anywhere as useful as to what Thomas has contributed. Thomas said a resume is a formality, and he's right, but for those out there who need help actually writing a resume, then I found a good site that explains how to write one out.

http://www.squawkfox.com/2008/11/17/10-t...er-resume/

Normally I don't take advice from women, but the writer of this resume guide actually explained the process extremely well. I'd read the entire guide if possible. The writer even includes free examples of what a well written resume should look like, and she also gives free templates. As for the "cover letter", well you're on your own for that one. If you need more examples of what a resume in your field should look like, then you can do what I did and look at other resumes on Indeed.com Click the "Find Resumes" link at the top left of the homepage, and input the search criteria on what positions you are looking for. Be warned though, many of the resumes I've read on there were written extremely bad. I had to sift through 100 to find 1 good example. But that's just what happened to me, maybe y'all will have better luck.

But again, the resume is just a formality, and the only way I've gotten employment so far is by talking to the Manager, or whoever is in a position of power at a company. Talking to HR's directly has never gotten me anywhere, it's true, they have to be bypassed if you want an actual shot at being employed in todays economy. HR's are there for the company, not you.

This thread looks golden. I will spend some serious time reading through the links. I'm seeing how the two biggest shortcomings I have had to deal with in my life story, as written up to this point (bad with women, not knowing how to network and get jobs) are closely inter-related. Despite all the gifts given to me I have been socially inept.

If only you knew how bad things really are.