rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

SLR Cameras

SLR Cameras

I've been toying with the idea of adding an dSLR to my collection of goodies. I've got no experience with photography, but with the traveling I do, I'm always tempted to upgrade the quality of the shots I take. I'm going to start off with a beginner SLR; by all accounts the Nikon D300 is a solid camera for those who are thinking of entering the world of more professional photography.

However, my question is more concerned with the threat of being robbed in 3rd world countries as a result of having a camera around my neck. Are there any traveling cats out there who take an SLR camera around with them when traveling? How do you go about protecting it from damage? From being stolen? If an SLR sounds like a stupid idea to drag around 3rd world countries are there any high quality point and shoots that are almost as good as an SLR without making you a target for theft?

SLR Cameras

Never had an issue. I see more and more people travel with the SLRs now.
Sometimes locals will look it up, I imagine the same way they'd look at a fancy watch. I've never had anything come of it.
What you should do is replace your neck strap so it's plain black, or sew some fabric covering the logos. I don't know about Nikon, but Canon's high-end lenses have a red ring around the barrel, definitely put tape over this, the ring says you're carrying $1000+ in your hand.
Maybe think about getting one used so you don't care if it gets stolen, a dslr from several years ago is still great, it won't do video though. It's all about the lens.
I switch out my memory cards every few days just in case something happens.
Also, I keep mine in my backpack, it's not constantly in view.

SLR Cameras

I would definitely NOT take a dSLR to any 3rd world country. Talk about a target. Are you shooting for National Geographic overseas? If not, there are plenty of high quality digital point and shoot cameras out there.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

SLR Cameras

The dilemma is the the discernible difference between even the highest quality point and shoot and a budget dSLR. Ideally, I'd like to develop some of these photos to decorate my apartment with, but as you point out dude, I do not need to become a target. I consider myself to give off a don't fuck with me vibe, but all it takes is a quick swipe and I'm out at least $500, regardless of my size or moxie.

Dude, if you've done some 3rd world traveling, do you have any point and shoot recs for HQ pics?

SLR Cameras

I use my Nikon Coolpix everywhere. You'll see a lot of folks recommend Canon but I'm partial to Nikon. I used to work in a camera store when I was a teenager and we'd get lots of repair orders for Canons. I took apart a couple Canons and in small but somewhat significant ways I think Nikon uses higher quality parts, less plastic in the mounts unlike Canon.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

SLR Cameras

For Canon, check out the G12, or Powershot s100
The g12 shoots RAW
both take great photos

SLR Cameras

Quote: (06-04-2012 05:55 PM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

I've been toying with the idea of adding an dSLR to my collection of goodies. I've got no experience with photography, but with the traveling I do, I'm always tempted to upgrade the quality of the shots I take. I'm going to start off with a beginner SLR; by all accounts the Nikon D300 is a solid camera for those who are thinking of entering the world of more professional photography.

However, my question is more concerned with the threat of being robbed in 3rd world countries as a result of having a camera around my neck. Are there any traveling cats out there who take an SLR camera around with them when
traveling? How do you go about protecting it from damage? From being stolen? If an SLR sounds like a stupid idea to
drag around 3rd world countries are there any high quality point and shoots that are almost as good as an SLR without making you a target for theft?

I travel to the third world with my big old Canon D50, never had any problem with it in regards to being targeted. Whilst the picture quality is amazing ( don't use the kit lens ) it is a big old lump of tungsten to carry about and can be a pain in the ass. I recently broke it so need a new dslr and was going to get a Nikon d7000 which has movie mode so I won't need my camcorder on trips but then I discovered the mini dslr cameras ( 4/5 cameras ). They are basically exactly the same as the big units but in smaller form which is perfect fo travelers. They have interchangeable lenses which is vital and you can get some excellent 'bokeh' shots with them like on a full size,you can't do that on a point and shoot. I'm going to get the Olympus OM-D 5,it's the best one out there so check out the reviews which have all been excellent. It also as move mode.

SLR Cameras

Dont be a lame tourist and get a giant ass camera.
Its not necessary.
Where are your pictures gonna go? Facebook? a computer album?

Unless you think you have a real creative touch..its not worth it.

look into bridge/hybrid cameras. The CEO mentioned the g12.

I prefer Nikon, and I have the Nikon p7000 its pretty much the nikon version of the g12.
pretty much all the features of the dslrs but not giant lenses and its small enough to fit in your pocket.
Off course its bigger than the little micro cameras.
But i your pictures will look just as good as a big brick camera..and they are cheaper

You dont need all those expensive lenses. you dont need a million settings you will never use on the fly.
You dont need to carry a brick around everywhere to take pictures.

i bought my nikon for under 400 dollars including shipping it from the US to Germany and my pictures looks just as good..if not better than people with cameras 2 and 3 times more expensive.

the best thing anyone can do is just spent a couple hour or download a book on photography.
It wont make you an expert or anything..but that little bit of knowledge will make your pictures look better than a person with a person with a pro camera that doesnt know how to use it

I am the cock carousel

SLR Cameras

I traveled with DSLR... it was kinda of a pain in the ass on long hikes. Not very handy.

Go for a smaller point and shoot. Some of them you can fix external lenses to get the same depth, lighting and focus - for an amateur, you can do really well. Next time I'm going smaller. Good luck

A year from now you'll wish you started today

SLR Cameras

From my overseas trips, I've had a few realizations regarding camera and traveling.

Most of the time, it's better to take in the experience than get caught up with taking pictures. I'd rather have stories to tell and experiences than pictures to show.

Ask yourself:
Do you really need SLR-quality/capability when touring a city or country? Take the extra weight you're carrying into account. Are you willing to take a risk of getting robbed? Will that big camera get in the way of day gaming girls?

Picture-taking during travel...very minimal on my part. Carrying an SLR will make me feel like a dork, and I'm satisfied with using point and shoots on cities/urban areas so get a good one. SLR's are more for nature places/trips, plus they're less likely to get stolen if you're out there in the wilderness.

SLR Cameras

Going against the grain here but i recently got back from travels to Europe.

All i used was a Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone and the picture quality was excellent to say the least!

Easy to travel with and very light also. Sure, it aint going to match the Nikon & Canon SLR`s , but at least you dont have to worry about lugging camera cases and lenses about.

As Enfant_Terrible stated - enjoy the experience and don`t get too caught up in being trigger happy with taking photos.

SLR Cameras

Any dudes with SLR's have experience running some type of photographer game. I thought about getting one and then maybe hitting up attention whores and aspiring model types by passing myself off as some kind of amateur Richard Kern. I've had pretty decent luck with getting chicks to let me film sex, but never tried to get some random chick to pose nude or semi-nude.

SLR Cameras

Canon s100 (or earlier model) shoots RAW and fits in your pocket. Unless you need to do fancy shit with lenses or shoot in low light, the photos will be fantastic.

SLR Cameras

Cell phones work to. mine is a sprint epic. I think its I the galaxy family.
5 mp
Before I got a dedicated camera.my phone took all my pictures and they look just as good as a point and shoot.

Give the game two years and high tech phone will bring girls to your house

I am the cock carousel

SLR Cameras

I stepped my camera game up a few years ago. Glad I did. Nothing crazy...have the Canon T1i. $500ish on Costco's website. Not sure if they still sell it. They didn't carry in their stores, only online. I don't suggest the more bloated Canon package they have (T2i?). Comes with a big bulky camera bag that screams rob me! Also an extra lense, which I'd never use, as per my mom. She's a professional photographer, and has lenses for days! Even those big creamy colored ones the sports photographers use, that need their own tripod. She uses the same lense for 90% of her pics. (just a simple one)

I bought it for the same reasons....wanting to blow up pics for the crib. Ya know, kinda act a little artsy. Instead I came back with pics of the 10 Colombians I hosed. No complaints....and no they haven't made it to my living room wall yet.

BEST TRAVEL BAG I could find was this. Looks a little faggy, but nobody knows I have an iPad and camera in it. No big Canon or Nikon logo plastered all over it. I got the black one. For a pseudo man-purse...it's pretty bitchin. Bestbuy sells it too. http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passport-S...B0039NLS3I

SLR Cameras

I would strongly consider micro four thirds. They are smaller then DSLR but still good especially with video like the Panasonic GH1 and GH2. The lens options haven't been that great but adapters make it possible to use other brand lenses.

SLR Cameras

i know that photographers use cameras like the canon s100 and g12 when THEY travel. There's no point to have the DSLR unless you need/want the lenses. But then you're loaded up with a camera body, lenses, cards, the bag to carry it all.

With RAW capability that the high end compacts have you can shoot publishable photos. They also shoot HD. Or if you're a Nikon fan, there are equivalent cameras in their line, i just don't know what they are.

SLR Cameras

Unless you are super serious about photography, where it's what you do, it's your art, it's the reason (or second reason) for your trip, then a compact will be fine and avoid you all the issues. SLRs are for when you know you've got to use this lens for that shot, that you probably plan out ahead of time. A good compact will give you excellent shots, definitely quality you can frame. I would highly advise to make sure your compact shoots raw, many don't have this feature.
The SLR is a PITA to carry around, there is no disputing that. I do because I want the shots that only my lenses produce.
For travel bag, most 30L packs will have ample storage for your camera, shouldn't need a separate one.

SLR Cameras

Quote: (06-05-2012 09:17 PM)babelfish669 Wrote:  

Canon s100 (or earlier model) shoots RAW and fits in your pocket. Unless you need to do fancy shit with lenses or shoot in low light, the photos will be fantastic.

I've been looking at the s100 as well in the non SLR category. In fact, much of what I've read seems to point to the older s95 in terms of picture quality when pointing and shooting, without getting into the techy stuff.

SLR Cameras

The Canon s95 & s100 digital cameras are excellent and very reasonably priced.

SLR Cameras

What kind of pictures will you take, and why do you need SLR? Consider the new breeds of smaller hybrid cameras with interchangeable lenses. They offer a back screen instead of viewfinder.

If you really get into this, you will eventually upgrade anyway. So get a cheap initial model to save money on your learning curve. Remember, you will spend extra money on extra batteries, cards, lens cleaning kits, chargers, bags, etc.

Also, why do you need interchangeable lenses at all? Most point and shoots will be fine for vacation snapshots. There are also a couple point and shoots with f/2.8 portrait lenses. You only need interchangeable lenses if you want to do both. You can try or rent different models at camera shops too.

SLR Cameras

Anyone have any good books or internet guide recommendations for a beginner to get into photography? I like scenic landscapes/urban architecture in particular.

I've been reading the Light Stalking blog recently--good stuff.

SLR Cameras

Quote: (06-07-2012 03:55 PM)nmmoooreland20 Wrote:  

Anyone have any good books or internet guide recommendations for a beginner to get into photography? I like scenic landscapes/urban architecture in particular.

I've been reading the Light Stalking blog recently--good stuff.

http://www.opacity.us

http://www.luminous-landscape.com

http://abandonedamerica.us

Hopefully these tick both boxes for inspiration (not instruction). There's loads of other stuff like this once you start trawling. I love the Opacity guy's stuff. For instruction, I actually think it's best to get hold of traditional old school books for a while if you're starting out. It's easy to get weighed down by shitty opinions, too many options, and that whole thing where you you obsess over expensive gear more than just taking a shot...

Just get out there and enjoy yourself I guess...

SLR Cameras

Having owned a Canon 5D mkII, 7D, and a bunch of lenses... I can tell you for a fact you don't want to lug around SLR size kit if you aren't being paid to do so.

I'm massively into minimalism. When I travelled with the 7D I'd only take a cheap Sigma 30mm 1.4, and a Sigma 10-20mm.... I ended up binning the wide angle in the end and doing entire trips with just the one 30mm fixed lens... I never really felt challenged without a zoom.

It was still too bulky though... Now I'm using a Panasonic GH2 with a Voigtlander 25mm 0.95... and an SLR magic 12mm 1.6... it's a tiny little setup, but it's fun, and takes up WAY less room and weight.

If you are set on having a camera that can swap lenses, don't take one for every occasion, don't get expensive gear syndrome, and always choose one or two for the style of shot you love.... I'll never be able to take a shot of a running cheetah at half a mile away, but who cares? I like portraits in cities (often in crap light)... So I'm all set.

You can get really compact with something like an Olympus Pen, GX1 etc etc and a little pancake lens... Carrying extra shit around is really grating if you travel often... Like everything, it's a compromise, but I'm happy with the weight advantage!

SLR Cameras

Quote: (06-05-2012 12:54 AM)Vorkuta Wrote:  

I'm going to get the Olympus OM-D 5

You're going to love it... Friend has just had one delivered. For photos It's FAR better than the GH2, and built like a tank... The video is so-so (vs hacked GH2) but the stabiliser is absolutely incredible... Well worth the money...