rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting Laid With Another Man's Game: Stealing Comedy Material

The topic for this thread was inspired by Roosh's post, in which he writes:

Quote:Quote:
  • I’ve lost count how many times I’ve successfully used word-for-word bits from the show [Seinfeld] in my pickups.

We've all spit another man's game in the name of getting it wet. And you don't need Jerry Seinfeld-like mastery of comedy to make her laugh when she already digs you.

So with that in mind...

Who do you crib comedy from?

What bits do you find yourself using on girls the most?

Personally, most of my lines are stuff I've made up myself. But here and there, I've definitely cribbed material, and I got just as many laughs for it.

I like Chris Rock, Larry David, Bill Burr, and Adam Carolla. They're all comics I love anyway, but their kind of humor seems pretty easy to play off when talking to people normally. Their stuff is always real, and often about men and women, so it's easy to work into a conversation. Material about the sexes is the most versatile and natural, and it keeps you from becoming an entertainer by making the conversation stay personal, and even a little adversarial. I can easily imagine, for instance, stealing Bill Burr's bit about how "I'd be such an asshole if I were a woman." Funny Twitter feeds are useful. Jerry Seinfeld is good too, but its lack of edginess makes it less memorable and a little too subtle for your average girl.

I haven't systematically watched material and filed it away for use in macking, if only because I'm lazy. As it is, when I first meet a girl, I crack the same jokes over and over to the inevitable initial questions. Race humor, eg pretending to be another ethnicity by playing on stereotypes, is also one I do often. Even hipster white girls will laugh at the most racist shit as long as you're funny and ignore her the first time she says "Ohmygod you're so racist!" With a little creativity and the right topic, it's not hard to be funny. It helps to surround yourself with guys who constantly rag on each other.

One thing I've noticed, an easy target for getting laughs from American girls is joking about certain celebrities or TV shows. Jersey Shore used to be good fodder, but it's a bit passe now. Anything about Justin Bieber is still gold though. Chris Brown & Rihanna is another - I'd deadpan "I taught Chris Brown everything he knows," at a topical point, eg, just after I told a girl about my boxing practice.

It's not comedy, but I cribbed two openers from my cousin that have treated me well:
1. Tap her on the arm or shoulder and say "I almost wore that *insert article of clothing* tonight."
2. If a girl is texting away at a club go up to her and say "He's not worth it" with a devilish grin.

I was sketpical of #2 until I gave it a try. Girls tend to laugh or go "omg how did you know?"

I do this also. It's so ingrained however that I don't really plan on doing it ahead of time or choose a specific program. I end up just using whatever movies or stand up I happen to remember if it pops into my noggin and applies to a situation.

Lately I've been reading The G Manifesto and some of his stuff is really funny on top of being practical depending on the situation. I recently used his line "I don't need the people at Hallmark to tell me when it's ok to get a little out of hand" Props.

I don't copy other peoples stories. The closest I come is saying 'I have a friend who..'

The reason being, I guess, I'm very 'individualistic' (Not wanting to sound like a girl) in my approach, and every time I try and crib comedy/stories from other people, it ends up in massive failure, because it just isn't congruent with my resonance.

Once I get past the opener I like to freestyle. I enjoy playing off their responses. I try to take them on a little fantasy journey with my words and make them laugh. If you can get them to smile or giggle you're in.

Team Nachos

I think the Seinfeld stuff is better convo material than openers. I watched the entire show and finished about the time I joined RVF. I was using some of the stuff for convos and it worked well. Show is hard to watch over and over

Being a huge fan of comedy (especially standup) I don't like to use other people's material because that's a huge no-no in the business of funny. Plus, I already have larger than life stories of my own to tell that go along with my sharp wit.

If you can pull off using other people's material and it's congruent with your personality, go for it. In order to truly master your sense of humor though you gotta have your own material. That means you are going to bomb, a lot.

10/14/15: The day I learned that convicted terrorists are treated with more human dignity than veterans.