rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Pick up lines vs Neutral openers

Hey players what's up? I'm new to the forum and to game and this is my first post; I'd like to thank everyone for the advice and tips you guys keep posting on the boards, even though I consider myself barely a novice of game and alpha male attitude/lifestyle I can't even start to list the benefits and improvements I feel I obtained after starting to lurk the RV Forums and reading Bang. That being said I'd like to know what y'all think are the pros and cons of using pick up lines (e.g. "you look like you're having fun", "let me guess..." from Bang) as opposed to simply walking up to broads and being like "Hey how you doin'?". I know this may be a minor issue and make no difference at all however after my first few cold approaches I realized I sometimes came off as cheesy and premeditated and generally was much more confident and succesful by using simple openers. Thanks a bunch and happy gaming

If the neutral openers are leaving you with more confidence, go with those until you're comfortable saying anything to a woman. As long as you can naturally progress the conversation to where it needs to go, it doesn't really matter what you open with. The thing with the scripted openers is that they can either work really well, or just totally flop. Not quite so much middle ground, so you can screen out the less receptive women quicker. In my experience at least.

I'd say get out the mindset of pickup "lines". There are set openers, but it should be flexible and not feel scripted. One of the biggest jumps in my initial game was the realization that talking to girls is completely natural and shouldn't require any "line".

Great opener? Hi. Hey. What's up.

"Hey" is actually good, spoken with a little bit more force than usual. She says hi back, you say "How are ya." Everything forceful and confident. This is my standard "opener" these days. It's also the first gauge to see how interested she is. After "How are ya" I watch her face and see what kind of smile and eye contact she gives me. Then I start observing, if she's smiling I say "That's quite a smile you get there, is that from mom or dad?" or comment on her clothing or some external prop.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

I agree with what thedude is saying. If a girl gives me strong eye contact I say "hey how's it going?" it would be dumb and overkill to say "hey can i get your opinion on something <cue opener>" and bore her to death.

First of all, the verbal content of the opener matters very little compared to other factors- your body language, voice tone, your looks, your clothing style, the social context, her current emotions and receptiveness, etc. The "magic opener" doesn't exist.

I believe in being flexible and going with what I feel will work in a given situation. Sometimes I use a contextual "comment or observation" opener, sometimes a simple greeting, and sometimes one of my set of canned openers.

I think having a few canned openers is important because sometimes your brain will just freeze and you can't think of anything to say

Just avoid anything too lame and cheesy. I agree with Architekt that the canned openers work best on girls who are already attracted to you or just horny. I recall a post at CH where he discussed a psych study that scientifically backed up this field observation- women who were looking for a casual fling didn't hold it against a guy if he used a cheesy opener

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Thanks a lot guys, what you replied basically sums up what I thought too. I guess more elaborated openers take more skill to pull off and anyways I feel like natural openers are just better for me.

perfect example of what I'm talking about:

Last night I go to the bar, there's one seat next to a cute blonde (a 7). I'm feeling around underneath the bar to see if there's a hook where I can hang my jacket. There's a few wads of gum stuck to the bottom of the bar, so I start ranting to the blonde next to me about it. "Don't you hate it when..." You could almost call this the Seinfeld opener, you're just observing what's going on around you.

Night ended with getting a venue change and 2 numbers. No scripted opener.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Nice one. I can only assume you conveyed that phrase as effectively as possible however there are only a number of "lucky" situations where situational openers are available I believe. I couldn't see myself observing on something random to start a conversation with some broad at some club. They're probably more useful in Day Game but then again, I'm still honing my skills and have a long way to go so any insight on other uses of situational openers (aside from the "standard" one from your post) would be greatly appreciated.

I know what you're saying, and I've definitely integrated a lot of Day Game into my night game, with large success.

Thing is, is there's ALWAYS a situational opener, you just have to know how to fabricate them even when it seems like there isn't one. It requires improvisation and practice, but this accounts for 95% of my approaches now and it's far more effective than how I was approaching before.

But that's me, gotta go with what works for you.

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Quote: (04-30-2012 11:07 AM)Snowflake Wrote:  

What y'all think are the pros and cons of using pick up lines (e.g. "you look like you're having fun", "let me guess..." from Bang) as opposed to simply walking up to broads and being like "Hey how you doin'?".

Depends, depends, depends.

Most of the time the bitch doesn't hear your line in the first place, or remember it.

All a pick up line does is give you, the dude, an excuse to talk to the chick.

Any sort of weirdness that you may feel is in your head, but it's only natural. It is WEIRD to walk up to someone you don't know, start chatting them up, and move the conversation so that sexy time is imminent.

But once you stop thinking it's weird, then it becomes much much easier.

Most of the game is figuring out the sequence that needs to take place and then internalizing that sequence.

I came across this opener from the movie, Mississippi Grind where Ryan Reynolds opens with

'Hey, I am looking for a woman, this tall, blond hair, devastating blue eyes, pale skin.. Have been tracking her scent for miles around here..' At this point, she replies but they are not strangers.

Would this be too direct for daygame?

At the moment, this doesnt have any qn or hook to make her talk so any comment to make this better is welcome.

Cheers

Here's what I know about the topic.

Opener is nothing but the conversation starter. Sometimes it's not even that cause in some

situations it's possible to break the ice with a gesture or smile, without saying anything at all. So the end it's nothing but an ice breaker that is meant to open the interaction between you and another person.

It's not completely meaningless cause it's nice to know how to be able to open the interaction consistently and do it well. However it's not as important as game theory says it is. Pickup community tried to break it down, came up with different kinds of it, put it into a specific box etc and all of that was a major fail in my opinion.

However, there are some things that we can say that tend to "work" in many situations. I don't think it makes them lame or bad just because it's scripted. After all, plenty of things we say are scripted, like jokes, punchlines we remember, comebacks, sayings, etc. So if we find something quite universal and good why not use it. I often say "hey we don't even know each other, can't be like that..". It's normal, not too cheesy and tends to work just fine.

My buddy has no concept of an opener and he's good at game. He's real smooth, has that slow swag and chill vibe typical for a black guy. He just says hi what's up and starts talking about whatever wants, often starts "get to know each other" small talk. First words are the least important to him. Beside the first few words he talks to girls like he already knows them. It's nice to watch and fun to be there with him.

I see no difference between lines and neutral stuff, it's all variations of the same thing. I place zero impact on the opener and what's more, I expect it to not open too well at first. If we really think about it, why would a random person care what you got to say, especially in the first few moments? It makes no sense. The first 5 minutes are often stiff and weird and that is fine. That is natural. Actually if a girl is too eager to listen to me straight away it makes me suspicious, cause what's the reason? Either she digs my looks or already heard about me, or I did something very well in the right place and right time which is not a common thing.

That's why I'd not get too analytical about the opener alone. It does what it does, it opens someone's attention to you, that's all.

Pick up lines are worthless imo. Openers are the way to go. You can essentially guide the convo with an opener.