rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What have you learnt in the countries you have lived/been to?

edit

"Control of your words and emotions is the greatest predictor of success." - MaleDefined

--

This is a good thread. We can always learn more, especially in unusual environments abroad.

In the last 2 or so years that I've been abroad, I've learned:

-Urban planning, engineering, and environmental risk management, in Europe, China, and Korea, although that was part of an integrated international masters program. I assume you mean outside of academia.

-French, Chinese, and Korean work and business culture

-Mandarin, Korean, French

-Golf in SE Asia (super cheap, golf enthusiasts should hit up Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia)

-Although I could learn this anywhere, I'm teaching my myself how to code ruby on rails - codeacademy.org - the moral of this story is to surround yourself with people smarter than yourself when you are abroad, in my case I chose technical people and web developers

-Rapidly building social and professional networks abroad

-Scouting the best medical tourism deals for both mandatory and elective procedures

-Rapidly building and converting sales/business leads on short business trips in the Asia Pacific region

-Yoga

-Hong Kong incorporation, HK tax laws, US tax laws for expatriates

--

This is not a skill, but a personal observation:

-As Americans we are so lucky and blessed to be in the position we're in. There are so many people in this world with very little. No shoes, terrible/dirty living conditions, very little money. People beg for a Coca-Cola or beg you buy their $5 souvenir so they can feed their families. When I see these spoiled women on reality TV it makes me sick.

I've learned how to survive when captured by guerrillas, not because I hold political power they can use against my home country, but because I was caught fucking a high ranking leaders daughter.....and never called her back after deleting her from my Facebook. [Image: lol.gif]

Mixx

edit

"Control of your words and emotions is the greatest predictor of success." - MaleDefined

Quote: (03-01-2012 12:22 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

I've learned how to survive when captured by guerrillas, not because I hold political power they can use against my home country, but because I was caught fucking a high ranking leaders daughter.....and never called her back after deleting her from my Facebook. [Image: lol.gif]

True story?

I've gotta hear the full details.

Number one thing I've learned abroad - only Americans will rip on their own country in an attempt to ingratiate themselves with foreigners.

Quote: (02-16-2014 01:05 PM)jariel Wrote:  
Since chicks have decided they have the right to throw their pussies around like Joe Montana, I have the right to be Jerry Rice.