rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Going home after long time abroad

How is it going back home after a long trip abroad (more than a year)?

I'm looking forward to heading back to the US but two things I really don't want to deal with:

-Americans asking stupid travel questions. I seriously hate this shit. I feel like I'm talking to a 5 year old when I talk to some Americans about travel. I fully expect to get loads of questions like: "Didn't you feel unsafe abroad?" "Do they have internet/ATMs/hospitals in that country?" "It's so expensive to travel, how did you pay for everything?" "Doesn't everyone hate Americans abroad?"

-Fat obese unfeminine American girls with a sense of entitlement. I think after Brazil I can never date an American bitch again. I am going to focus on foreign chicks. I seriously will tell any American bitch with attitude to just fuck off.

Anyway, is it going to suck going back home?

Don't sweat it.

My advice: first stop DC.

You will be fine in America. Especially if you like girls like:

[Image: Weesh-girls-in-Ugg-boots-in-America.jpg]

Quote: (02-28-2012 11:56 PM)nomadicdude Wrote:  

I'm looking forward to heading back to the US but two things I really don't want to deal with:

-Americans asking stupid travel questions. I seriously hate this shit. I feel like I'm talking to a 5 year old when I talk to some Americans about travel. I fully expect to get loads of questions like: "Didn't you feel unsafe abroad?" "Do they have internet/ATMs/hospitals in that country?" "It's so expensive to travel, how did you pay for everything?" "Doesn't everyone hate Americans abroad?"

-Fat obese unfeminine American girls with a sense of entitlement. I think after Brazil I can never date an American bitch again. I am going to focus on foreign chicks. I seriously will tell any American bitch with attitude to just fuck off.

It's kind of surreal and very weird. You recognize your environment but everything seems new. You notice things you would not have noticed before.

In my experience, most Americans thought my travels were very cool. They usually just want to know how you did it (where did the money come from?) and what you did abroad (how did you spend your time?). Occasionally, some would want stories about what were my favorite places, etc. But it was wasn't annoying or anything.

You realize how much has stayed the same even though you have been away for a long time, which in a way validates your decision to have left the country for an extended period of time. You realize you didn't miss much, if anything. Now it's time to get back to work. I wouldn't say it sucks because despite the hectic lifestyle at times (depending on what you do), the US is a very convenient and comfortable place to live. There is a bewildering array of choices here.

When I came back after an extended trip in Latin America, the main thing I missed was the vibrancy of life in the local culture. In Latin America, you meet up with your friends pretty often, they are always close, and you always have things to do with them. There's more of a community. I was never really bored. In the US, you're lucky if you see some friends once a month, if that. People live farther from each other and have to travel some distance to meetup, and everyone has a more individual lifestyle constrained by time.

I remember the first time I spend a long time overseas, was in Australia for almost a year. Convinced myself I was happy to be going back, but got back to UK and quickly realised it was a big pile of shit. Been a nomad ever since

i have been away for extended periods and gone back for a while a few times.

when i get back its great at first...u spend time with your family and friends...but that doesnt last long and u start missing the good things about overseas...u think why the fuck did i come back?? then u get back into the routine of life back home and u adapt and it becomes the norm again.

but i have had enough. i have been back for 2 years now after a 3 year stint overseas. I have invested in property and am saving money. my goal is to head off again in 10 to 16 months max...and it will be for a long time

Quote: (02-29-2012 04:08 AM)garygroundwork Wrote:  

i have been away for extended periods and gone back for a while a few times.

when i get back its great at first...u spend time with your family and friends...but that doesnt last long and u start missing the good things about overseas...u think why the fuck did i come back?? then u get back into the routine of life back home and u adapt and it becomes the norm again.

but i have had enough. i have been back for 2 years now after a 3 year stint overseas. I have invested in property and am saving money. my goal is to head off again in 10 to 16 months max...and it will be for a long time

Sounds like what I went through. It is great to be back but after a month you will miss the travel.

It is funny, the more time I spend overseas the less I have in common with my family and friends. They just have a insulated life that revolves around routine.

I have been back for around 3 to 4 years now. I really miss being overseas but needed to work out business a family stuff.

I may stay "home" for most of this year since business has really taken off.

I just have that itch to take off but I know I got too good of a thing going on right now to take off and struggle getting into a work routine.

My goal is to remove myself from most of the day to day operations this year. Then I will be off to travel.

I just don't see myself being in one place for a long time.

[quote] (02-29-2012 04:18 AM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

[quote='garygroundwork' pid='168720' dateline='1330506526']

Sounds like what I went through. It is great to be back but after a month you will miss it.

It is funny, the more time I spend overseas the less I have in common with my family and friends. They just have a insulated life that revolves around routine.

I have been back for around 3 to 4 years now. I really miss being overseas but needed to work out business a family stuff.

I may stay "home" for most of this year since business has really taken off.

I just have that itch to take off but I know I got too good of a thing going on right now to take off and struggle getting into a work routine.

My goal is to remove myself from most of the day to day operations this year. Then I will be off to travel.

I just don't see myself being in one place for a long time.[/quote]

exactly... it is about a month before u start missing it.

nothing changes back home..u get back after 3 or 4 years and everything is the same and everyone is doing the same old shit.

the crazy thing is when u are overseas somehting always pulls u back home..

Routine will always take over for most people,society would crumble otherwise and all those conveniences we like would vanish.
You wouldn't get any flights abroad if all the pilots and crew decided:
" Fuck this for a game of soldiers" and went for a wander!

You should thank the Lord for most people sticking to their routine!

Quote: (02-29-2012 09:02 AM)Pilgrim37 Wrote:  

Routine will always take over for most people,society would crumble otherwise and all those conveniences we like would vanish.
You wouldn't get any flights abroad if all the pilots and crew decided:
" Fuck this for a game of soldiers" and went for a wander!

You should thank the Lord for most people sticking to their routine!

Not that this has anything to do with the topic at hand, I just find it laughable that you think I should be thanking people for deciding to live a mundane, routine driven life.

It goes far beyond jobs.

It always causes me great anguish but you just have to look at in a positive light and see it as a challenge.

A lot of people I talk to in the U.S. know the media is full of shit, and are starving to get first hand information on what is actually going on in the world, particularly in the Middle East. I take the time to inform them. If a stupid person asks me a stupid question about my travels, I give them a stupid answer. I make a habit of not talking to them though.

Believe it or not, there are millions of thin, attractive, feminine girls in the U.S. You shouldn't have a problem fucking till your hearts content, depending on where you go of course.

When you return, surround yourself with like-minded people, and it won't suck as bad. For those of us that love to travel, it's always hard to go back home for an extended time. For me there's nothing wrong with the U.S., it's just more exciting to live abroad.

I missed your posts. Where have you been and how long have you been away?

The way you described it is actually the exact way I felt coming back home.
-
Most of your old firends are clueless about overseas. If you tell your friends what a great time you had they will make up lies to keep up with your travel life. You'll get sick of hearing their shit and wish you never told them what you did. I hear stuff like I love my job. I wouldn't do anything else. I love dating bitchy girls without getting laid. I'm having more fun than you ever had overseas! Life couldn't be better!
-
The girls of course will be a total disappointment and you'll hate them at first. Eventually if work hard at it you can have some passionless sex with one!

yes dude, I was in the same situation...after brazil just like you! When I first got back....man was I really really depressed, I still now think of brazil now everyday and the times I had. I find myself telling the same stories over and over to my friends(they dont get sick of them tho) and very annoyed like you said with american girls now, I don't even have any interest in dating one! My whole finishing my degree, saving money,plan is to go back for a while, work/get experience and try to live there....if not deff take a 180days off and use everyone of them

Quote:Quote:

When you return, surround yourself with like-minded people, and it won't suck as bad.

Personally I don't know many people like me, at least in the sense of being interested in travel, the world, other cultures etc. There's a lot of people I know who say "I'd love to be able to go travelling" and then when I ask why they don't they have no answer, a lot of them have similar circumstances to me so there's nothing stopping them.

I find myself telling the same stories over and over to my friends(they dont get sick of them tho)

Are you sure they don't? There's nothing worse than someone telling you the same stories, no matter who exciting they are to you, over and over. I try not to talk too much about my travels and only tell if people ask. The experiences are mines forever, not telling everyone the story won't change that.

Quote: (03-01-2012 10:05 AM)AlphaTravel Wrote:  

When you return, surround yourself with like-minded people, and it won't suck as bad.

Personally I don't know many people like me, at least in the sense of being interested in travel, the world, other cultures etc. There's a lot of people I know who say "I'd love to be able to go travelling" and then when I ask why they don't they have no answer, a lot of them have similar circumstances to me so there's nothing stopping them.

I find myself telling the same stories over and over to my friends(they dont get sick of them tho)

Are you sure they don't? There's nothing worse than someone telling you the same stories, no matter who exciting they are to you, over and over. I try not to talk too much about my travels and only tell if people ask. The experiences are mines forever, not telling everyone the story won't change that.

I hate to be so cynical, but few of my friends have the same interest in travel and women as me. My friends mostly got married, or are dying to get married, or wish they never got married. I’ve learned no to tell them too much about my trips and women or I’ll hear stories like “you hadn’t done shit”. Men in America are so competitive they can’t enjoy your stories, so they just make up a bunch of their own to out do you. Here is a recent example that my friend told me, “I fucked 10 international girls, that I never told you about!” Yeah, really, this is the kind of thing that just slips a single man’s mind.
-
When I’m working and I travel overseas, I just tell them I went to North Dakota to visit my father. If I tell them I went to some place international. They’ll say something like, “I wish I had the money to travel overseas! It must be nice!” I want to say back to them, “well if you didn’t have 2 Mercedes and 3 kids, you could too!” Oh, here’s an even better one to tell them at work. “I stayed local and did projects!” That always goes over well with them. Their lives are boring as shit and they chose that life.
-
I find that the people that become my friends are people that I have met while traveling who have the same sense of adventure that I have!