rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Android Apps for Traveling Players

I just got a Motorola Atrix 2, and need to optimize it by loading up on apps. Problem is, the Android Market is packed with so many, it's hard to cull through them all, or waste time using the one's that suck.

I thought starting a thread would be a good idea for a place to discuss and review apps we use to increase efficiency while on the road. Anything to aid in travel, banging girls, translation, time-wasting (games), nutrition, stock trading, working out,or educational tools is welcome.

Also, any suggestions for tablets (honeycomb) apps are welcome also.

A lot of native google apps are great if you are not willing to spend money

google translate would be an obvious one, terrific translation app that has every language that most of us will encounter.

Google finance might be the best free stock tracker out there.

google music if you live in the US is pretty awesome

As for games, Angry birds is a must if you haven't played them already, although they get a bit repetitive.

Nutrition and work out apps are a dime a dozen, I would just choose a highly rated app that fits your need.

Also look into whether you bank or favourite airline/airport/hotel have apps as they are often pretty useful

If you surf use the Magicseaweed App. Firstly it’s a handy way to check the swell and where the local surf spots are. But even better you can pull it out at a party or in a cafe and use it as an opener. Used this last weekend on the bus: took out phone, check app, turned to girl with big smile and said it’s going to be pumping!!! She asked what I was on about which turned into a conversation about Irish surfing and then into general rapport and attraction. Doesn’t have to be surfing though you could use this for any weather dependent or outdoor activity that would get the girl interested.

http://magicseaweed.com/

Also I highly recommend a good photo App like Instagram for IPhones. Makes any situation look stylish and can be great for quick uploads to Facebook. Still haven’t found a great version for androids just yet though.

http://instagr.am/

MyYearbook is good for finding local sluts.

In the US, a combination of Yelp (to see what's up with a joint) and Open Table (can scout out the scene for food) can get you where you need to be in 10 minutes.

There are a ton of currency converter apps, but I've always like XE Currency.

I suggest Google Translate as well, I think is the less shitty translator out there.

Obviously all the social network apps, facebook if you got one.

Check out Google goggles. Crazy what that app can do.

The Tripadvisor app is helpful too. It's like Yelp but completely travel-related.

Google Translate is excellent.

Skype obviously and Google Voice too.

Evernote or Catch for saving and viewing your datasheets offline.

Google Calendar app for syncing all your calendars and appointments, available from anywhere in your pocket.

One touch location app, great for sending someone a quick text to meet you at such and such a place without having to give long elaborate directions. It reads your GPS, and sends them a link to google maps of where you are at that second.

Find my car app, you don't have to use it just for parked cars, could be your hotel a spot you want to revisit or whatever. Just places a GPS marker of where you are and will show you how to getback to that spot.

Dropbox - has a million uses. Have a folder that you can sink between your computers and your phone. Use it to transport photos, music, ebooks, files datasheets, Roosh's Bang pdf, or whatever.

ReaditLater - The best bookmarking app out there. Does much more than just bookmarks. Let's you save text from web pages for offline reading. Probably my fav and most used app alongside dropbox.

The Economist App. An international playboy should always know what's going on in the world!

edit---Next time I travel, I'll install mapdroid https://market.android.com/details?id=co...d.mapdroyd , it lets you store vector street maps of the whole world so you don't have to load data.

I use the Kayak app to check and book flights. You can sort by duration, stops, price, and airlines. I also like seeing the hotels in the area, and it gives the direct phone number, so you can call direct to try for a better rate.

The Yelp android app has a little used feature called "monocle" using augmented reality tech where you point your camera phone at a certain direction and virtual restaurant icons would be popping up on your screen.

Yelp app in general for places to check out, scout, and take a girl.

Google Maps to orient myself, but it's not as accurate as the iPhone map

Kindle app to read books to pass the time

I can't believe no one has mentioned What'sApp yet.

http://www.whatsapp.com/

This thing has seriously changed my life. You can text anyone, anywhere for free. Helps me keep in touch with the girls I'm gaming all over the world.

Also great if you're doing business with people in foreign countries (I'm sure many of you are).

Just recently picked up a droid and haven't travelled with it but maybe DGT Compass is an app to look at. The lack of one hasn't been detrimental (other than a lot of time wasted walking around) but there are many times where it would've been nice to have a compass.

My problem now is looking at unlocking my droid for other provider SIMs (and the transferring of my droid info), as my current provider doesn't allow unlocking before a certain timeframe (I'm travelling before that timeframe).

If you want your UI to look more swish, and have the time to sit there and customise, get GOLauncher EX and widget locker. With the right themes your phone looks a lot swisher than the standard geeky android design.

21 y/o brit.

Quote: (02-23-2012 08:23 PM)November Wrote:  

This thing has seriously changed my life. You can text anyone, anywhere for free. Helps me keep in touch with the girls I'm gaming all over the world.

Also great if you're doing business with people in foreign countries (I'm sure many of you are).
Is this free?

Quote: (02-27-2012 05:30 AM)houston Wrote:  

Quote: (02-23-2012 08:23 PM)November Wrote:  

Is this free?

According to a message after I downloaded the app, it's free the first year and then $0.99/year not a bad deal even if it's paid

BTW, I don't think it was ever mentioned that whoever you want to text with Whatsapp...they must *also* have the app installed on their phones.

I use Cam Scanner on my tablet. It's a must have. It makes it easy when you are traveling and need to scan receipts for expense reports.

WAZE http://www.waze.com/ is fantastic for driving. It's free, and is about people crowdsourcing the locations of police, accidents, traffic, construction etc. It's also tied into yelp so you can say "icecream", it'll show you nearby ice cream shops from yelp, and then give you directions to the one you choose. I also think the voice is easier to understand.

WHERES MY DROID -- Helps you find your lost phone.

SHAZAM --fun in clubs for identifying the song.

GOOGLE SKY MAPS --point your phone at the sky and it tells you what planets and stars are there. Great conversation leader at night.

HISTORY ERASER --for clearing out your phone list and messages from snoopy little noses. But you're already protecting your phone with a PIN, right?

VAULTY --for password protecting pictures you don't want others to see. Even when they steal your phone.

TINY FLASHLIGHT --get the Nikolay Ananiev version. For when you're stumbling around in the dark.

AMAZON KINDLE --lets you read books on your smart phone. Whisper sync keeps what page your on between your Kindle, your cell phone, your PC, and anywhere else you have Kindle installed. Great for reading a few pages while on the bus.

FRUIT NINJA PUSS IN BOOTS --Easy game to compete with bar skanks with. Plus the fruit makes a fun mess as you slice it with your finger. Much better than Angry Birds.

CONFESSION -- An app for organizing your sins for confession. Yes, it's password protected. No, it doesn't let you list girls names.

PATH -- nice diary interface. For when you already know you're too drunk to remember this shit tomorrow. Easy to mark where you're at as you move around.

Tried SKOUT. Waste of time, erased it.

"Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly color. I'm so glad I'm a Beta."
--Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

Really loved the Sports Tracker app in android. To manage your workouts, jogging, walking trends.

I got an Android phone. Any more apps you guys recommend?

SeekDroid--you create an account that lets you access your phone remotely from the internet. If it gets lost or stolen you can activate the phone's GPS and track it down, activate an alarm, lock the phone, or delete both the SD card and the internal memory. My previous Android phone got stolen--I wish I'd had this app at the time.

The best Android app I have for game is fucking Ubercab.

Not for "traveling" as it only works in a few US cities, but it's SO clutch. Within 5 minutes a black car pulls up, unmarked (sometimes Benz S600s and shit), a driver who's name I know, he knows my name, no cash is exchanged, etc. Looks 100% like you have a personal driver.

When you're bouncing a couple of college girls out of a sloppy bar, who're used to piling in a cab or whatever, and you're like "Gerald will be around with the car any minute", you look like a boss.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what I'm talking about and my posts are opinion, not advice.

Quote:Gmac Wrote:
your time > her feelings

Welcome to the amazing world of Android, Roosh!

I was VERY sceptical about the whole smartphone mania (I still avoid girls who use one), but now I cant miss the damn thing anymore. It is so great.

One App I often use is the FAKE CALL App, which is useful to get out of an awkward situation, or just to show you are very busy. Or to put out some BAIT: you answer your friend abroad or who is on some far away island in the pacific, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...free&hl=en

Free SMS her (chat) with WHATSAPP: many girls with smartphones have this app...better than Skype

Another useful App is EVERNOTE. Keeps track of all your notes when syncing your info along your devices. It is often faster or safer to write a number down (you wont lose it), and you play the Originality card, because you can even save her Pic into Evernote, along with her number, send it to her by email etc. Make HER take a picture from you and do some Light kino when checking out the quality of the picture with her.

Use a VOIP App to call and send SMS in Batch at incredible rates at your closes McDonald or Starbucks (Free WIFI and finally you can use those places to DO something, not just to go for a pee [Image: smile.gif])

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=v...ile&c=apps

Instead of your Map, ask for directions on GOOGLE MAPS.

Overally, ask her where to find WIFI in the place around... great openenr and very innocent...

Will come back if I have more ideas. Android makes game fun.

"Fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Ben Franklin)

Viber is a cool app
Free sms messages tec but other person also has to have the app installed

What's better an Iphone or an android? I'm not too tech savvy but not tek illiterate either...

I don't want to get off topic but I have a quick question. Can you use an Android phone overseas if you're using it with Sprint or T Mobile in the states? Will your carrier charge you out the ass for texting and making calls?