rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Question for LA players

Question for LA players

Delete.

Question for LA players

In LA it's not uncommon to have roommates into your early 30's. Same as with SF. Thus, it's not a net negative. It's neutral.

If you have a large place and no roommate, it's a plus.

Question for LA players

If you want roommates they better be cool and you better have your own room with a lock. But like MikeCF says, having your own place is the way to go.

Second: location, location location. I recommend cities on the West Side, West and East of Hollywood, downtown LA, some cities in the valley, or very near the ocean. I wouldn't even look at craigslist, I'd pay $60 for a 60 day membership on westsiderentals dot com to get the good listings/locations to lessen the BS hassle of emailing choosy roommates.

Question for LA players

Delete

Question for LA players

I live in L.A. and I don't have a roommate. I don't think its that different from the Bay area as I get the same kinds of comments that u mentioned from girls being impressed that I have my own place. I'm not sure how much you can afford on rent, but getting a 1 bd room apt should be doable if you want to go that route. I assume you've been to LA a few times before so you should have some idea about what neighborhood you want to live in. A lot of it will depend on where you work at, unless your working online out of your place. Don't underestimate traffic which can be a bitch here, it's best to avoid a long commute if you can. Ideally if you can work AND live somewhere in west la you should have it made, the beach cities can be good as well depending on your tastes.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Question for LA players

Quote: (02-16-2012 11:54 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

I live in L.A. and I don't have a roommate. I don't think its that different from the Bay area as I get the same kinds of comments that u mentioned from girls being impressed that I have my own place. I'm not sure how much you can afford on rent, but getting a 1 bd room apt should be doable if you want to go that route. I assume you've been to LA a few times before so you should have some idea about what neighborhood you want to live in. A lot of it will depend on where you work at, unless your working online out of your place. Don't underestimate traffic which can be a bitch here, it's best to avoid a long commute if you can. Ideally if you can work AND live somewhere in west la you should have it made, the beach cities can be good as well depending on your tastes.

Most important point made.

Question for LA players

Delete.

Question for LA players

Quote: (02-17-2012 10:25 PM)Mujeriego Wrote:  

I'll be going to school at the CSU but am able to work from anywhere.

which one?

Question for LA players

I recommend living by yourself whenever possible. Even though it's not cheap, this is more doable in LA than in more concentrated cities with less real estate, like SF or NY. You can find a reasonable studio apartment in say, Culver City or Palms. There are other neighborhoods. You should try to live near the scene that you plan on exploiting. Downtown is really coming up, but it's much more expensive to live there now. If you get roommates, minimize the number of them and immediately start on plans to go out on your own.

Don't believe the hype about LA traffic. LA's traffic is no worse than any other major metropolitan area. Guys are going to try to disagree with me on this, but it's true. What's worse are the distances. Whereas the entire city of San Francisco, for example, is 7 miles across, that distance doesn't even get you from Downtown to the Westside in Los Angeles. LA, in other words, is big. People expect to be able to travel across the city in no time with little estimation of actual distance. Plan accordingly.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Question for LA players

Quote: (02-18-2012 02:57 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

I recommend living by yourself whenever possible. Even though it's not cheap, this is more doable in LA than in more concentrated cities with less real estate, like SF or NY. You can find a reasonable studio apartment in say, Culver City or Palms. There are other neighborhoods. You should try to live near the scene that you plan on exploiting. Downtown is really coming up, but it's much more expensive to live there now. If you get roommates, minimize the number of them and immediately start on plans to go out on your own.

Don't believe the hype about LA traffic. LA's traffic is no worse than any other major metropolitan area. Guys are going to try to disagree with me on this, but it's true. What's worse are the distances. Whereas the entire city of San Francisco, for example, is 7 miles across, that distance doesn't even get you from Downtown to the Westside in Los Angeles. LA, in other words, is big. People expect to be able to travel across the city in no time with little estimation of actual distance. Plan accordingly.

Santa Monica to Sherman Oaks is a 14 mile drive.

How long is that drive going to take you?

If you live in LA, you're going to ask, "When are you leaving?"

How long is the drive from Culver City to Santa Monica going to take?

Again, when are you leaving?

Traffic can be mitigated, and sure, traffic in DC and Atlanta sucks, too. but to say it's not a problem goes against what 90% of people who in LA think and is setting the guy up for failure.

Question for LA players

Quote: (02-18-2012 04:02 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  

Santa Monica to Sherman Oaks is a 14 mile drive.

How long is that drive going to take you?

If you live in LA, you're going to ask, "When are you leaving?"

How long is the drive from Culver City to Santa Monica going to take?

Again, when are you leaving?

Traffic can be mitigated, and sure, traffic in DC and Atlanta sucks, too. but to say it's not a problem goes against what 90% of people who in LA think and is setting the guy up for failure.

You just proved my point. You shouldn't be living in Sherman Oaks if you plan on hanging out on the Westside. That would be just plain stupid. Fourteen miles is wide enough to fit two cities of San Francisco. In no other city in America would a guy try to live 14 miles away from where they want to be and expect to get there right-quick. Try driving 14 miles in New York and see how long it takes you. For some weird reason, Los Angeles is held to a different standard because it's a contiguous urban area that's apparently less dense. Guys want to be able to "get across town" without taking into consideration that Los Angeles is built on a different scale than other cities. That's why the whole "it's 20 minutes from here," is the stupidest way to measure distance. "It's 5 miles." That makes sense.

There's rush hour and traffic in every American city I've lived in. Los Angeles is no worse than other cities at rush hour or during an accident. The difference is that LA has modern highways with 5 or 6 lanes going in either direction. When you leave, in other words, matters everywhere.

I repeat: Don't believe the hype. If you keep distance in mind of where you live, you'll be fine. Don't try living a zillion miles away and expect to cover that distance as if you're living in the country. You live in a city, and the going is slower.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Question for LA players

Delete.

Question for LA players

Sorry for going off topic but azulsombra, man, why did you change your avatar? It was my favourite one of the forum. That was one piece of exquisite ass walking up the stairs to what seemed to me like a beach watchtower (?). Damnit lol

Question for LA players

If your going to be a golden eagle at csula..look at living in downtown (the promenade towers, bunker hill apts, etc. a one bedroom will run you about 1400 a month) or pasadena (800 a month for a studio 1200-1400 a month for a one bedroom). Both are pretty centralized.

Question for LA players

Delete.

Question for LA players

Quote: (03-03-2012 03:57 AM)Mujeriego Wrote:  

Thanks for the input RC. A bit off topic but I'm curious where the fly (non-chola) latinas hang out at. I'll be coming down in a month to do some apartment hunting so I might as well check out venues.

Main St. in Alhambra (Havana House and Azul)
Old Town Pasadena (Villa Sorriso, Barcelona, and X Tapia)

Those places are always solid when I feel like I want to be surrounded by Latina Heat.

Question for LA players

Quote: (02-25-2012 10:06 AM)solo Wrote:  

Sorry for going off topic but azulsombra, man, why did you change your avatar? It was my favourite one of the forum. That was one piece of exquisite ass walking up the stairs to what seemed to me like a beach watchtower (?). Damnit lol

Hahaha...I didn't know anybody would miss it. Thanks for the compliment, that was a photo I shot myself last year and yes, that puerto rican ass was incredible. lol

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Question for LA players

Quote: (03-09-2012 08:50 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

Quote: (02-25-2012 10:06 AM)solo Wrote:  

Hahaha...I didn't know anybody would miss it. Thanks for the compliment, that was a photo I shot myself last year and yes, that puerto rican ass was incredible. lol

@Azulsombra- Much respect, that was a mean ass.