rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Has anyone here LIVED in Cebu?

Been reading through all of the PI threads and I'm thinking I may go there as opposed to back to Thailand. I was wondering if anyone here has actually lived in Cebu for a few months or longer? I got a few Q's for those of you that have, or that have good info. My monthly budget is around $1,500 and I plan on staying between 3-4 months if that helps answer some questions. Thanks in advance.

1. Some people are saying Cebu is a shit hole, others saying it's great. What is it really like? More like a city such as BKK? Or more like Phuket? In between?

2. What are the best areas to live at in Cebu?

3. How much do apartments run in the above areas? Is there a good website to find apartments that do not have the prices marked up?

4. I will be training Jiu Jitsu while I am there, and wondering how expensive is it to get around the city of Cebu?

5. How much is the local food? Can you grab up good street food for $1 a pop like in Thailand?

6. How is the nightlife away from the P4P scene? Are there lot's of chill bars? Is the nightclub scene really big? I prefer bars as opposed to loud clubs.

7. If you fight a local (not that I plan on it) will all of the locals jump you like they would in Thailand? I know in Thailand it is a given that if a farang fights a Thai you are getting jumped. Curious if it is the same in the PI?

Thanks all!

I have not lived in Cebu. However, this forum here may be of particular value to you, as it is filled with people who have and still do. This is the best source online for this kind of information, imo.

Also, here is a general information page written by the same people that run that forum. You can find a sample living budget (from 2007), some travel advice, and a few other basics there. The forum will be filled with much more detailed information, though.

Be warned: that forum is not filled with players. They are mostly older (baby boomers, 45 and up), mostly married (or close to it) and VERY beta males (mostly white, and mostly from the UK and Australia, with an American here and there). They might not be able to help you much on the game front, which is fine because that's what we at the RooshV Forum are here for. The members there will be great for other more practical considerations regarding day-to-day life in Cebu, however.

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Thanks for the info bro, +1 from me.

RioNomad,
I haven't lived in Cebu but I did spend 3 weeks there last year in January. If you compare it to LOS, it is a huge step down on all aspects, save maybe the ease of hooking up with girls and the fact that people speak English. Street food is non existant and even if it were, I wouldn't advise it as it would not be safe for a western stomach or someone new to the area and their system not used to it. I was going out 7 days a night, eating out all the time, and I was spending about 10k Pesos (about 235 bucks) per week for all of that. I was staying in hotels that I got throgh agoda. I was paying on average 30 bucks a night. I'm sure you can rent a decent apart for about 3-400$/month or even strike a deal with a hotel for longer term.

From what I gather, for a 3-4 months spell, Davao may be a much better option: cleaner, less beggers, safer, little to no sex tourists, higher quality of non pro girls and cheaper than Cebu. I have not been to Davao yet but that's the consensus from everone that has been there. Needless to say, when I return to the Phils, Davao will be the place I'd be hitting.

Cebu ain't that bad of a place, but if you compare it to BKK, BKK blows it out of the water in every single aspect hands down. Just one advice, stay away from Manila, which is probably the biggest shit hole in Asia and probably the entire world. However, a warning: be warned that Davao is in the typhoon zone so make sure you're not there during that time of the year. Google for the typhoon season in the Philippines as this would be a crucial step to ensure you enjoy the most your stay there.

Have fun bro and report back with a fully detailed data sheet.

Thanks VP. Davao is actually a place I would like to go, but the BJJ school there is very new with only a blue belt instructor, which is the main reason I won't end up there. Jiu Jitsu stops me from going to a lot of places I would prefer, just because I want to have a place with good training. BJJ is all over the place now, but in most countries it is in the capital city (usually not where I want to be) and in the top tourist destination where there are lots of hookers. Hasn't quite reached those tier 3 cities and smaller beach towns that I would prefer to live in. In 5 years I think it will though, so I'm optimistic.

Oh and Davao is a hotspot for a lot of lifestyle designers, location independent guys in Asia so for networking, it could be a goldmine. A lot of the guys who have businesses in the Phils are set up in Davao...

But if your goal is purely BJJ, then why not go to the heart of it, in Brasil, say in a smaller town in the north east? How's your portuguese by the way? It may not be as cheap as the Phils but it won't be that much more expensive neither, if you stay in a 2nd or 3rd tier city in the north east and live like a local you could swing for 1.5 to 2k/month. And the talent of girls is a different level as you can imagine...plus Brasil is infinitely more fun as a place and as culture than the Phils. And the food there is great! Just an idea...

btw, when are you planning on going?

Another thing to keep in mind for the Phils: march to april, are the hottest month of the year and hence are referred to there as summer...what we call summer, june-sept, is the rainy season and typhoon season...so beware of that!

Quote: (02-12-2012 10:36 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

RioNomad,
I haven't lived in Cebu but I did spend 3 weeks there last year in January. If you compare it to LOS, it is a huge step down on all aspects, save maybe the ease of hooking up with girls and the fact that people speak English. Street food is non existant and even if it were, I wouldn't advise it as it would not be safe for a western stomach or someone new to the area and their system not used to it. I was going out 7 days a night, eating out all the time, and I was spending about 10k Pesos (about 235 bucks) per week for all of that. I was staying in hotels that I got throgh agoda. I was paying on average 30 bucks a night. I'm sure you can rent a decent apart for about 3-400$/month or even strike a deal with a hotel for longer term.

From what I gather, for a 3-4 months spell, Davao may be a much better option: cleaner, less beggers, safer, little to no sex tourists, higher quality of non pro girls and cheaper than Cebu. I have not been to Davao yet but that's the consensus from everone that has been there. Needless to say, when I return to the Phils, Davao will be the place I'd be hitting.

Cebu ain't that bad of a place, but if you compare it to BKK, BKK blows it out of the water in every single aspect hands down. Just one advice, stay away from Manila, which is probably the biggest shit hole in Asia and probably the entire world. However, a warning: be warned that Davao is in the typhoon zone so make sure you're not there during that time of the Agryear. Google for the typhoon season in the Philippines as this would be a crucial step to ensure you enjoy the most your stay there.

Have fun bro and report back with a fully detailed data sheet.

Agree completely on Davao(I´ve been here for 2 weeks and will post a data sheet soon). I havent been to Cebu yet, but from what Ive heard, other than the nightlife Davao is the better bet. The thing that I most like about Davao is that most girls Ive been with have never met a foreigner in person. You see very almost no gringos on the street and the few you see in the malls are usually over 50. Also, I have seen no evidence of p4p or a true market for it. Its still an unspoiled city and the same cant be said about Cebu.

Hey CM, I'm very anxiously awaiting your Davao date sheet. Davao being in Mindanaue, the south the Phils, hows safety there? Have you felt or noticed any tense situations?

Quote: (02-13-2012 10:48 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Hey CM, I'm very anxiously awaiting your Davao date sheet. Davao being in Mindanaue, the south the Phils, hows safety there? Have you felt or noticed any tense situations?

NOT AT ALL. Davao is the safest big city in the Philippines. The mayor of the city has his shit together and for the Philippines it is very orderly, clean and safe. The unsafe reputation of the island of Mindano comes from islamic rebels, but they are far away from the city in a remote province of the island.
This weekend I will check out the beaches around here, as most of my time has been spent in the malls meeting girls and convincing them to go to my apartelle, which is one a forum member recomended in a previous Davao post (Jun and Dell Apartelles).

I'll second that Davao is very safe. No beggars. Sure there are homeless but they're not begging. And it is quite cheap too. They have nice hospitals as well.
The only problem is that Davao is fucking huge. I spent most of my time in Davao driving in taxis. Brought memories of Moscow and NYC. Takes an hour to get anywhere.

How would Davao be for somone who only speaks Engrish?

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (02-21-2012 02:52 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

No problem whatsover. Everyone speaks some english with the fluency just dependent on their level of education. In Manila and Cebu you might have more people speaking advanced english, since very few people in Davao have left the country. But all the signs and advertisements are in english and I have not met one girl who doesnt speak some english.

Quote: (02-21-2012 04:30 AM)chochemonger1 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-21-2012 02:52 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

No problem whatsover. Everyone speaks some english with the fluency just dependent on their level of education. In Manila and Cebu you might have more people speaking advanced english, since very few people in Davao have left the country. But all the signs and advertisements are in english and I have not met one girl who doesnt speak some english.

Thanks for the info im either headed to Davao or Taipei, Taiwan in 14 days when my China visa is up.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin