rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Mexico City

Mexico City

Hey all

Hey all,

I am very new to this forum and I just wanted to say that it is a pleasure to meet other likeminded folks.

I am in my mid-30s, single (but rarely alone and always dating [Image: smile.gif]) I have a flourishing career as a writer in the film industry. I live in NYC and visit LA often for work: I used to live in LA, can't do it anymore. Frankly I am hitting a wall with NYC living and specifically the real estate in the city. I pay $2700 for a very nice apartment in Brooklyn but I just can't see a future as a house owner in NYC. I am not in hedge funds. I make low 6 figures and I feel like my income is going out of the window - specifically in my landlord's pocket. Truthfully I am starting to wonder if NYC itself isn't as alluring as it was in my 20s and even early 30s.

So what 's the alternative? Move to another city in the US (I really like Chicago but don't know anyone there and it almost doesn't feel like a big enough change).

Or... put a foot in Latin America. I would maintain US residency and a strong connection to the US, but I would make sure that my life isn't US-based.

My plan would be to continue working in the US (remotely) and earn US dollars.

In Latin America, I have only been to Mexico City and Colombia (spent 2 months there) and adore both. I have friends in both countries. Are there other options? Sure. I hear Argentina is gorgeous and I am Italian so I would probably fit in really well there. But it's very far. I also hear Chile is stunning and the most "tranquil" of Latin countries. But again- no connection to it.

So it really looks like Mexico City or Bogota are my best bets.

To those who know... here are some questions!

- I have been to Mexico City and felt as safe there as I do in Downtown Brooklyn (minus the Mexican SWAT teams on the corners). But more generally.. how safe is Mexico, the country?? I can't put a finger on it. One one hand I read horrific accounts about how stepping into the wrong town will get you decapitated. On the other hand I've often been a staunch cynic of the US's portrayal of Mexico and feel like it's completely blown out of proportion. So on a practical level, how is it? Can I rent a car in Mexico City and take a trip exploring the country (like I did in Colombia) or will it go horribly wrong?

- How do real estate prices in Mexico City or Bogota compare with, say, New York City?? Again I am getting a little confused. The fantasy of how far my dollar would go got erased when I looked up properties in Polanco, Roma, La Condesa. They weren't NY prices but they were surprisingly expensive.

- What's life in Mexico City like as a resident? I have this romantic idea that it's frenetic but also wildly exciting, a cauldron of fascinating characters, amazing food, warm people, Europe-meets-Azteca, art.

- To those who earn US dollars and live abroad, how did you deal with the whole taxation conundrum? Did you continue paying taxes in the US and also in Mexico?

- Does Mexico have health insurance?

- What type of Visa would I need to live part-time in the country?

- How are Italians viewed in Mexico? Any experiences?

- Is it unfeasible to invest in a property in Mexico City, live half the year there and the other half in Los Angeles or NYC? Ironically my flight from Mexico City to Los Angeles would be shorter than the current one from NYC to LA) so distance isn't an issue.

- I guess a big conundrum is that I LOVE Colombia-the-country and Colombian women. I mean, damn. I was there for 2 months and slayed. I'm not a kid so I feel like I have 3-4 years left of full on hunting. But... Bogota as a city just doesn't appeal the way Mexico City does. And besides Bogota I don't see many other "major" cities in Colombia I could live in. (they're just way too provincial - Medellin included).

Thoughts hugely appreciated...

Messages In This Thread