rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Vietnam War

The Vietnam War

I've just finished watching 'The Vietnam War' by Ken Burns on Netflix and immediately searched for a Vietnam thread on here to get more info. I'm sure it's been discussed all over the board but I couldn't see a specific thread, so here goes;

The documentary was an eye-opener for me. State education failed me (and I don't even recall Vietnam getting a mention anyway) and most of my knowledge of the war comes from old Chuck Norris and Stallone movies.

Firstly, I had no idea it dragged on for as long as it did. When people talked about the US being sucked in, I assumed they meant for 5 or 6 years, not 20! Shameful not to know this, I know, but I've run this by a few people and they were as ignorant as I was.

Secondly, I was surprised by how much the US justification for involvement in the war seemed sensible (at first). The Commie threat was real and plausible at the time. Whatever happened afterwards (the political lying, war crimes and betrayals), I feel the beginnings were valid taken at face value.

Thirdly, the chaos of the period was incredible. The social upheaval and all the background stuff going on puts the present in perspective. The assassinations; Kennedys, MLK. The anti-war activists, civil-rights activists, militant groups, weathermen, black panthers etc. The bombings and shootings in the US. As crazy as the present US scene looks, it's miles away from how it was in the 60s/70s.

The American officers interviewed had immense respect for the fighting ability of the VC and North Vietnamese soldiers. One said he 'wished he had 200 of them'. Nonetheless, I can't help feeling aligned with those US troops who alleged that the US was badly undermined by orchestrated opposition at home. To what extent did this hamstring the campaign? Or rather, how much was genuine and how much was the creation of 'enemies of the US'?

So, while I enjoyed the documentary and would recommend it, I'm certain that a lot was left out. Many board members here have an excellent knowledge of history and politics, so tell me what your thoughts are on the war and what we can learn from it?

Also, many here will have relatives who fought there, so I'm sure you'll have anecdotes that don't find their way into mainstream documentaries!

‘After you’ve got two eye-witness accounts, following an automobile accident, you begin
To worry about history’ – Tim Allen

Messages In This Thread