rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Choosing to self teach or paid courses?

Choosing to self teach or paid courses?

To give some background info. I'm 19 and from a small suburban town in England.
Its shit and i hate suburb life. Only place I'd want to live and work in this country is London honestly.

Summers over and I've been trying to deciding my path for a while now...

I have the opportunity to intern for my auntie's real estate rental company in Lake Tahoe in the US from January to March. i want to do this, as i feel it would look good on my resume, I'd learn some valuable working skills and living in Lake Tahoe would be awesome even if i don't know anybody there yet.

Anyway till then I need something to do with my time and I have some ideas of what I'd like to do ideally.
I started working out about 2 month's ago and I have started training in Calisthenics (bodyweight). I love working out and have become really passionate about my diet and workout and all. I follow some PT's on Instagram and their lifestyle looks really cool!

I definitely don't want the corporate desk job life so I'm discovering my options and have come up with a sort of plan but I want some advice from more knowledgeable guys about whether my plan is good or not.

My plan is to learn as much as I can about
social media marketing/accounting/finance/economics/shares/investing etc..
As these are valuable skills for life and especially if i want to be my own boss someday.
I also find these subjects pretty interesting although i have little knowledge about them thus far.
Also to learn about nutrition and muscle groups and all the knowledge needed to be a PT. I read online that you need certification to become a PT and I would be willing to do that.
So my plan is to learn through books and online resources in my time while I'm living with my parents for free and also with any spare time i get while interning with my auntie in the US and of course when I get back to England i would continue to read and learn about these fields.

My question is.. Will reading books and watching videos, online resources and podcasts give me as good knowledge on things such as accounting/investing/economy and all, as a course would in accounting lets say. I don't feel like i need the qualification in accounting ( I couldn't get into university anyway because of my high school grades *due to laziness and video games back then*, but could attend a community college or even do an Fast track A-Levels online course in accounting or economics. (I hear accounting is more beneficial)

But I'm looking at these A-Level courses and ATT certifications and wondering if its worth spending lots of money and over a year of studying and exams to get a certificate and knowledge about the subject which i could of learnt myself through books and online resources for free?

My goals for the future are to create a name for myself through social media and to have clients as a PT. I'd even work for a gym for a few years if i needed to. I also want to live and work in major cities but be free to move around to different cities whenever i wanted a change. I plan to go to major gyms in major cities around the world after getting certification as a PT and just network with as many people as i can and get my name out there, create contacts and get a social media following to improve my name and get bigger and better clients.

Then with the knowledge I will have from accounting/economics etc.. eventually I would maybe start my own business, do some consulting, PR, this kind of work on the side to earn more money and delve into more paths and opportunity's.

I would like to know,
If these are realistic expectations and a good rough plan?
Are certified courses worth paying for?

All feedback and opinions are welcomed.

Also after re-reading this i want to add I don't mean to come across pompous or unrealistic at all.

Messages In This Thread