Roosh V Forum
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! (/thread-9826.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ?Kick - 04-10-2012

Quote: (04-09-2012 05:48 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

DjembaDjemba,
That's awesome to hear one more guy from hear is making the jump to AB. Btw, did you do your certification online for the H2S Alive and safety courses?Which site as I want to do it too since I plan on getting there by June.

Kick, Djemba and anyone else from here who's going to AB please post your progress here as I will be following your progress with a lot of interest. I may join you guys in June. Would be cool to be among like minded guys there. Who else from here is going to AB this spring/summer?

Will do. I haven't been seriously looking for work because I'm leaving Edmonton this Thursday. I'm coming back Tuesday next week and that's when I will start job hunting. What I've been doing in the mean time is getting my tickets (H2S is way cheaper out here compared to Ontario btw), and I've also been building contacts/networking. By the time you guys make the move out here, I should have a pretty good list of contacts built up so it shouldn't be too hard for you guys to find work! Just PM me when you're out here!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - user10726 - 04-10-2012

Hey man, what would be the best route for me to take?
18 years old, live in England UK. No University degree, just left college with 3 A-Levels: Maths, Physics and Computing.
Or is it too far-fetched for someone like me to get into?
Thanks for any replies

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 04-12-2012

Hey guys good to hear a few are on the way or already there.

I have had to put off moving there for a while yet. One my visa has still not been approved fully. It keeps getting delayed and it has now been 3 months waiting approval. Secondly I have been offered a sweet summer job back home so am going to use that to save up some more before I leave plus its a great job with lots of gaming and fitness opportunities. I have moved my flights out to the early september now.

Will be interesting to see how the others get on how will be there before me. Fair play to everyone who has the balls to make the move.

I have not been using the forum to much the last few weeks but once I start using it more Ill be sure to add in anything of value I find.

Peace

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Screwston - 04-12-2012

Anyone from the states going out there?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vin - 04-13-2012

Hey Scotian, I'm a fellow "Scotian" myself living in Halifax being from Yarmouth. You should be landing in Edmonton today, have a great trip. My girlfriend used to work at a call center in Dartmouth next to a furniture store, probably the same one you worked at. Anyway, I'm really wanting to make a move out west but i have zero skills. I'm a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) working out of the Halifax Infirmary making just under $50xxx a year. I work days, nights and 12 hour shifts. I get puked on shit on pissed on bleed on I've been spit at punched kicked and yelled at by stupid family members that don't have a f'ing clue. I had a patient with HIV once that wouldn't stop biting his lips and tongue and spitting on me and my co-workers. I used to love my job but it got old fast and now after 8+ years of it i wanna quit. Unfortunately i can't just up and quit a full time job with full benefits and pension. My common law girlfriend is 3 months away from finishing a diploma program at NSCC, therapeutic recreation. Good course. She can get a job in most nursing homes and some hospitals. So I'm thinking of getting my class 3, air brake drivers license and moving out west or coming out temporarily to look for work. Can a guy with just a class 3 get a job driving a truck on the sands? By the way I'm 36 years old, 37 in July. Like to live out there for 10-15 years then move back to Nova Scotia. What about the two companies out here in Nova Scotia that train people for the oil rigs/sands. Is it worth taking those? Or what about taking a heavy equipment operator course before going? Or is it best to just move out there then take these courses? Thanks for all your help man. If i move out I'll bring you a Donair!!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Kmac - 04-13-2012

Hey guys,
For the the guys that are Americans and want to go to Canada there is a working visa for a year. This gives a person enough time to get a job and switch visa to a foreign worker visa to stay longer than a year. The app takes up to 2 weeks or less and it cost up to 500 dollars. However the only issue is a person must be in school or show that they were in school. the website sit is http://www.swap.ca
and who is going to CA this spring / summer PM me ? also Scotian or anybody do you know any good pre-employment programs ??

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Screwston - 04-14-2012

Kmac - do you have to a degree for that? I have some basic college credits, but not a degree.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-14-2012

Quote: (04-13-2012 05:05 AM)Vin Wrote:  

Hey Scotian, I'm a fellow "Scotian" myself living in Halifax being from Yarmouth. You should be landing in Edmonton today, have a great trip. My girlfriend used to work at a call center in Dartmouth next to a furniture store, probably the same one you worked at. Anyway, I'm really wanting to make a move out west but i have zero skills. I'm a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) working out of the Halifax Infirmary making just under $50xxx a year. I work days, nights and 12 hour shifts. I get puked on shit on pissed on bleed on I've been spit at punched kicked and yelled at by stupid family members that don't have a f'ing clue. I had a patient with HIV once that wouldn't stop biting his lips and tongue and spitting on me and my co-workers. I used to love my job but it got old fast and now after 8+ years of it i wanna quit. Unfortunately i can't just up and quit a full time job with full benefits and pension. My common law girlfriend is 3 months away from finishing a diploma program at NSCC, therapeutic recreation. Good course. She can get a job in most nursing homes and some hospitals. So I'm thinking of getting my class 3, air brake drivers license and moving out west or coming out temporarily to look for work. Can a guy with just a class 3 get a job driving a truck on the sands? By the way I'm 36 years old, 37 in July. Like to live out there for 10-15 years then move back to Nova Scotia. What about the two companies out here in Nova Scotia that train people for the oil rigs/sands. Is it worth taking those? Or what about taking a heavy equipment operator course before going? Or is it best to just move out there then take these courses? Thanks for all your help man. If i move out I'll bring you a Donair!!

Hey man, if you're looking at going the class 3 license route, there's lots of work out west for drivers. Clean Harbors is huge out here and they have an office in Halifax, stop by and see what they offer.

DON'T take those rig courses in Halifax, they are over priced and won't put you at any advantage over anyone else off the street, just take the H2S course and other basic safety tickets and you'll be good to go.

If you can, I'd look into pre-employment type courses at NAIT/SAIT/Keyano college and get into a trade or some kind of technical work.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-14-2012

Quote: (04-13-2012 05:05 AM)Vin Wrote:  

Hey man, if you're looking at going the class 3 license route, there's lots of work out west for drivers. Clean Harbors is huge out here and they have an office in Halifax, stop by and see what they offer.

DON'T take those rig courses in Halifax, they are over priced and won't put you at any advantage over anyone else off the street, just take the H2S course and other basic safety tickets and you'll be good to go.

If you can, I'd look into pre-employment type courses at NAIT/SAIT/Keyano college and get into a trade or some kind of technical work.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Screwston - 04-14-2012

Ok kmac I just checked out the site. You have to have a college degree or be a full time student under 30 yrs old. Does this mean Americans can't work up there after 30?? No way at all? There has to be a way around all this shit...I can't believe you have to meet these requirements.

Scotian didn't you say there's Americans up there working? Are they all younger guys?

Quote: (04-14-2012 01:00 AM)houston Wrote:  

Ok kmac I just checked out the site. You have to have a college degree or be a full time student under 30 yrs old. Does this mean Americans can't work up there after 30?? No way at all? There has to be a way around all this shit...I can't believe you have to meet these requirements.

Scotian didn't you say there's Americans up there working? Are they all younger guys?

No most of the American guys I run into are older, 40s.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Kmac - 04-14-2012

Houston: No I was a full time student last semester, let me see if there is any other info out there for Americans to get to Canada and get back to you

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vin - 04-14-2012

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks man!! I found a company in Truro that trains for class 3 air breaks. I may try to take it in September. This seems like a quick option with less $ upfront but maximum results. Really appreciate the info.

These safety training courses, H2S etc you speak of, are they available online?

Clean Harbors is huge out there. Hopefully this leads to something. Thanks again.

Appreciate it Kmac!

[/quote]

Thanks man!! I found a company in Truro that trains for class 3 air breaks. I may try to take it in September. This seems like a quick option with less $ upfront but maximum results. Really appreciate the info.

These safety training courses, H2S etc you speak of, are they available online?

Clean Harbors is huge out there. Hopefully this leads to something. Thanks again.
[/quote]

I don't think you can take H2S online, best to take it in-class, there's a place in Dartmouth you can do it: http://www.hseintegrated.com/tra/calenda...011_05.php

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Roark - 04-17-2012

Are there any opportunities for women out there?

I'd like to go work out there, but so would my girlfriend (who is a non-Canadian). She can get a 1 year temporary working-tourist visa for people under 30.

All I have is H2S (other than a philosophy/econ degree from Canada), so I'm looking at something to take at a community college in BC. She only has a tourism and hospitality management degree from the UK, which may not be that useful unless there are some hotels out there.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 04-17-2012

[/b]Just saw this and almost forgot about it...
That's awesome Djemba Djemba to hear that you're going to share contacts with the rest of us when we get there. That's very kind of you. [Image: smile.gif]
Btw, any luck on finding a good gig there?

Good luck!

[b]
Quote: (04-10-2012 02:07 PM)?Kick Wrote:  

Quote: (04-09-2012 05:48 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

DjembaDjemba,
That's awesome to hear one more guy from hear is making the jump to AB. Btw, did you do your certification online for the H2S Alive and safety courses?Which site as I want to do it too since I plan on getting there by June.

Kick, Djemba and anyone else from here who's going to AB please post your progress here as I will be following your progress with a lot of interest. I may join you guys in June. Would be cool to be among like minded guys there. Who else from here is going to AB this spring/summer?

Will do. I haven't been seriously looking for work because I'm leaving Edmonton this Thursday. I'm coming back Tuesday next week and that's when I will start job hunting. What I've been doing in the mean time is getting my tickets (H2S is way cheaper out here compared to Ontario btw), and I've also been building contacts/networking. By the time you guys make the move out here, I should have a pretty good list of contacts built up so it shouldn't be too hard for you guys to find work! Just PM me when you're out here!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-18-2012

Quote: (04-17-2012 07:47 PM)Roark Wrote:  

I'd like to go work out there, but so would my girlfriend (who is a non-Canadian). She can get a 1 year temporary working-tourist visa for people under 30.

All I have is H2S (other than a philosophy/econ degree from Canada), so I'm looking at something to take at a community college in BC. She only has a tourism and hospitality management degree from the UK, which may not be that useful unless there are some hotels out there.

There's lots of work for women out here, depends what she's looking for, If you stay in Fort Mac, plenty of hotels here to work at. Also, if either of you want to start a career in other fields, especially oil industry related, this is a great place to do so.

This place is so crazy, I drove up here yesterday with 5 CVs to hand out to potential employers, the first stop I made was at the office of a company I worked for last year. I left the company without much notice, actually got into a pretty heated argument with the manager and basically told them to get fucked, they said I was burning a bridge. Fast forward to yesterday, I stopped by and they said "man we could really use you on this 2 month camp job, can you start Thursday?"

I didn't bother going anywhere else, I do my piss test today and will be on site tomorrow and back to work, the guys are working 90-100 hours a week and its 24 days on, 4 days off til the end of June , looks like I'll be taking the summer off this year, I love working in the oil sands!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - pitt - 04-18-2012

Quote: (04-18-2012 12:50 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Quote: (04-17-2012 07:47 PM)Roark Wrote:  

There's lots of work for women out here, depends what she's looking for, If you stay in Fort Mac, plenty of hotels here to work at. Also, if either of you want to start a career in other fields, especially oil industry related, this is a great place to do so.

This place is so crazy, I drove up here yesterday with 5 CVs to hand out to potential employers, the first stop I made was at the office of a company I worked for last year. I left the company without much notice, actually got into a pretty heated argument with the manager and basically told them to get fucked, they said I was burning a bridge. Fast forward to yesterday, I stopped by and they said "man we could really use you on this 2 month camp job, can you start Thursday?"

I didn't bother going anywhere else, I do my piss test today and will be on site tomorrow and back to work, the guys are working 90-100 hours a week and its 24 days on, 4 days off til the end of June , looks like I'll be taking the summer off this year, I love working in the oil sands!

I respect your job hustle scotian, congrats.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 04-18-2012

If you dont mind me asking Scotian what is the rough amount you would make during a 24 day shift?

Thanks

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vin - 04-18-2012

Thanks for this info Scotian!!! Going to the DMV tomorrow to pick up my air brake pamphlet. Should be taking the 3 week straight truck course in Truro in September. Hopefully out your way by October. I'd prefer a camp job. Hopefully i can find one. Thanks again.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-19-2012

Quote: (04-18-2012 03:16 PM)Irishman Wrote:  

If you dont mind me asking Scotian what is the rough amount you would make during a 24 day shift?

Thanks

All depends on the amount of hours I work per week, roughly $3500-5000 after tax each week, so after a 24 day hitch I should pocket about about $13-16K, I'm still an apprentice, my journeyman will be making around 20K.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 04-19-2012

Quote: (04-19-2012 09:52 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Thanks

All depends on the amount of hours I work per week, roughly $3500-5000 after tax each week, so after a 24 day hitch I should pocket about about $13-16K, I'm still an apprentice, my journeyman will be making around 20K.

Hey Scotian, how did you get into an apprentice position?

Without any experience, how does one get their foot in the door for a trade in the region?

I'm looking into picking up a trade, but taking a pre-employment is prohibitive without having a job first, and it's not offered in Ontario.

Did you just apply and ask to be trained on the job?

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-19-2012

Quote: (04-19-2012 12:33 PM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  

Quote: (04-19-2012 09:52 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Thanks

Hey Scotian, how did you get into an apprentice position?

Without any experience, how does one get their foot in the door for a trade in the region?

I'm looking into picking up a trade, but taking a pre-employment is prohibitive without having a job first, and it's not offered in Ontario.

Did you just apply and ask to be trained on the job?

If you want to work in the oil sands, I would recommend starting your apprenticeship in Alberta. Apprenticeships in Canada are regulated through each province and I know of guys who couldn't transfer their hours between provinces (stupid government rules).

As far as getting into a trade and beginning an apprenticeship, you can directly contact companies to see if they have any openings for a labourer or helper, then once you get on, you can register as an apprentice, then go to school for your first year training, for trades this is about 8 weeks (you can draw EI while at school). Basically you'd work for 4 years and go to school every year for 8 weeks before you can become a journeyman.

Another option is to go into a union hall and see if they are hiring apprentices. I would suggest this option as union companies pay the most and some locals have excellent training facilities, such as the United Association local 488 in Edmonton (I am a UA member), more info here: http://www.local488.ca/

Another good union local that always seems to be busy and hiring green hands is the Boiler Makers, local 146 in Edmonton. BM is a good trade, lots of work and is also high paying: http://www.boilermakers.ca

When its busy, as it is now, many employers will hire inexperienced guys right off the street and get them trained and into an apprenticeship. The above options are good right now.

Another good option is the pre-employment route, if you do this, you won't be completely green when you show up on the job site and should have a good idea of the basics of the trade. Also, depending on the pre-employment course you take, you may be able to go right into second year apprenticeship and thus only have to do three more 8 week courses.

Check this website, it'll answer your questions in more detail: http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/

These schools are where you can do your trades training, either pre-employment or apprenticeship training in Alberta:

http://www.nait.ca
http://www.sait.ca
http://www.rdc.ab.ca
keyano.ca
lethbridgecollege.ca

I'd also recommend just moving out asap and getting any labour type job to pay the bills and hopefully save up some cash (and maybe even get into an apprenticeship), work til the fall or winter and go back to school then. School sucks but I'd rather be sitting in a warm class when its -35 outside then working!

Go back through the thread, look up online all of the companies that I listed, if they have job ads for labourers, then contact them. If they also employ skilled tradesmen (most do), then thats how you'd get a job. Start out on the bottom rung, don't be a retard and eventually you will be able to get into a trade that way.

good luck!

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Jack Of All Trades - 04-19-2012

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows of the situation in Saskatchewan? I heard places like Estevan, SK is what fort macmurray was 5 years ago and things are ramping up with exploration not only in oil but mining and other natural resource extraction industries. I've checked some job postings and searched the internet a bit, seems a lot of jobs list only 40 hrs a week and are in a mad hiring season for oil, gas, etc. From what I understand living in Saskatchewan is significantly cheaper then living in the major cities of alberta and fort macmurry, and if they pay the same with similar hours, going to saskatchewan is the place to go.