Roosh V Forum
Dominican Republic - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Dominican Republic (/thread-835.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Dominican Republic - InternationPlayboy - 11-28-2013

I don't think I'd want to drive in a lot of third world countries. At least not brazil or Colombia. It almost seems like people are trying to get in wrecks there. I can't tell you how many I saw in Colombia just sitting on my balcony smoking cigs.

Dominican Republic - Aliblahba - 11-28-2013

One of my worst experiences in the DR was driving through Santo Domingo. Fisto said I was splotchy after arriving to the airport. Other parts of the country are fine, but you won't be able to enjoy yourself. Get loose and hit someone on a scooter and see what the locals do. [Image: shudder.gif]

The coastal cities are easier to navigate, and Santiago with a little help, but fuck me. SD is a rat maze. I'll parachute before doing that again.

Dominican Republic - Merenguero - 11-28-2013

Quote: (11-28-2013 02:30 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

I don't think I'd want to drive in a lot of third world countries. At least not brazil or Colombia. It almost seems like people are trying to get in wrecks there. I can't tell you how many I saw in Colombia just sitting on my balcony smoking cigs.

Although it's technically not a third-world country, people drive much worse in Argentina than anywhere else I have ever been including Colombia. I saw accidents all the time when I was there.

^ that's funny. Of all places in South America I would have expected Argentina and chile to have good drivers. I was surprised that in Peru and Ecuador they didn't actually drive all that bad. I could drive in those two countries but I'd be hesitant in Colombia or Brazil. Shit, in brazil it took me a while to even be comfortable crossing the street if there was a car in sight. I swear, they play the point system, where most pedestrians are 10 points. Riding a motorcycle seems to be a death sentence in brazil, especially the way those "motoboys" drive.

In brazil everything is a step down, meaning stop lights are treated as stop signs in the us (unless there is a lot of traffic). Stop signs are treated as yield signs. And in rio it's actually legal to run red lights after dark as long as you yield to other cars, because it can be dangerous to stop.

Dominican Republic - rover - 11-28-2013

Quote: (11-28-2013 02:48 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

One of my worst experiences in the DR was driving through Santo Domingo. Fisto said I was splotchy after arriving to the airport. Other parts of the country are fine, but you won't be able to enjoy yourself. Get loose and hit someone on a scooter and see what the locals do. [Image: shudder.gif]

The coastal cities are easier to navigate, and Santiago with a little help, but fuck me. SD is a rat maze. I'll parachute before doing that again.

You just need to adjust to the local way of driving and it's pretty easy. Assume everyone else is a complete moron and can do anything any time, so drive very defensively. If you get into an accident, keep driving, don't stop. If you kill someone, keep driving straight to the airport and get the fuck out.

@RougeNoir: I rented cars in DR many times. You can get a decent Honda CRV (~7-8 yo) or something like that for $25 and up from a private renter, or $35+ from a major chain like Avis depending on the season. Gas is easy to come by, but it's expensive here, about $5.70 per gallon right now.

Dominican Republic - azulsombra - 11-28-2013

Quote: (11-28-2013 04:34 PM)rover Wrote:  

Quote: (11-28-2013 02:48 PM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

You just need to adjust to the local way of driving and it's pretty easy. Assume everyone else is a complete moron and can do anything any time, so drive very defensively. If you get into an accident, keep driving, don't stop. If you kill someone, keep driving straight to the airport and get the fuck out.

@RougeNoir: I rented cars in DR many times. You can get a decent Honda CRV (~7-8 yo) or something like that for $25 and up from a private renter, or $35+ from a major chain like Avis depending on the season. Gas is easy to come by, but it's expensive here, about $5.70 per gallon right now.

Driving in DR aint for the faint of heart. I rented a car there for a few weeks. I did the calculations and all in with Gas, Insurance, odds of hitting a teenage moto driver and possibly facing a mob or prison, increased stress, dickheaded traffic cops its basically not worth it. I speak spanish fluent, can pass for dominican and have been to D.R. several times and don't plan to ever drive there again. It makes more sense to get a driver for a day or two when you need him.

Dominican Republic - thegmanifesto - 11-28-2013

Quote: (11-28-2013 03:07 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Although it's technically not a third-world country, people drive much worse in Argentina than anywhere else I have ever been including Colombia. I saw accidents all the time when I was there.

Honestly, you know where the worst I have ever seen?

Miami.

When I went to Playa and DF last year I was shocked to see how much better drivers Mexico has than Miami.

I thought California was bad before, now I think California is amazing compared to Miami.

It is strange too, it goes across all gender, ethnic, age groups, socio economic, hell even tourists.

Dominican Republic - azulsombra - 11-28-2013

Quote: (11-28-2013 04:48 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Quote: (11-28-2013 03:07 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Honestly, you know where the worst I have ever seen?

Miami.

When I went to Playa and DF last year I was shocked to see how much better drivers Mexico has than Miami.

I thought California was bad before, now I think California is amazing compared to Miami.

It is strange too, it goes across all gender, ethnic, age groups, socio economic, hell even tourists.

I've seen a lot of WTF stuff in Miami and I haven't even spent much time there. People putting their car in reverse on the highway because they missed an exit. Just complete idiocy.

Dominican Republic - rover - 11-28-2013

Quote: (11-28-2013 04:59 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

I've seen a lot of WTF stuff in Miami and I haven't even spent much time there. People putting their car in reverse on the highway because they missed an exit. Just complete idiocy.

Funny. I was driving in Miami last month after a year of driving in DR and thought I was in heaven.

The worst in the states for me was Denver. It's a ton of one way street, very small streets, low speed limits, unsincronized lights, and everyone drives under the already slow speed limits. To top it off they drive bad. It's like nobody knows where the hell they're going. Going back to Vegas and driving was such a relief, where all the speed limits are 45 & 55.

Dominican Republic - G Trooper - 11-29-2013

Yeah Miami is the worst for driving. Since I'm on the road all day long, I've seen it all. Accidents on accidents on accidents...

On the expressway it's common to see vehicles completely flipped over in the rain. Cars stuck halfway on top of the highway (3 feet tall median), cars that stall and people just let them sit in the middle of the road. I've seen some motorcycles smashed to pieces. I actually take pictures of all of the bad ones I see while driving. Our drivers our simply in a class of their own.

I dont allow valet guys to ever touch my car after having them ding up my car and somehow smash my fold down vanity mirror. My favorite one is from the genius valet driver at the Epic hotel. The Maserati got fucked.

[Image: 52BE802594268796A4C323FFE1678A.jpg]

Dominican Republic - OGNorCal707 - 12-02-2013

Should be touching down in the D.R. in about 5 weeks if all goes to plan and I can tie up all loose ends here. I'm starting to wonder whether I should pre-book any hotels since it will be high season when I arrive? I'm assuming Santo Domingo and Santiago should be less of an issue, and I may wing it and just book my first night or two, but from what I've read in Lonely Planet (lame I know) and online, it sounds like Cabarete gets pretty booked up that time of year. Anyone know if it's necessary to pre-book there, or hard to find a place? Worst case I could probably stay in Sosua for longer, but I'd like to spend more time in Cabarete and stay close to the action on the main beach.

I know there are already Cabarete threads but is this a decent place to hook up with either locals or tourist chicks? It sounds like Sosua is pretty much all p4p so I probably won't even bother trying to pick up "normal" girls there, but will shore if the opportunity arises, otherwise all bets will be off.

Anyhow I'm starting to get excited about this trip, but to be honest outside of planning an itinerary, I haven't done much in preparation for this trip. I'm listening to Pimsleur language CDs in my car, but as I've gone up in lessons, it's getting harder and I feel like my progress is stagnating. I'll hardly be conversational at the start of my trip, and approaching in a foreign language that I'm not conversational in has always been one of my sticking points.

Dominican Republic - Justice Beaver - 12-02-2013

Quote: (12-02-2013 02:19 AM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Should be touching down in the D.R. in about 5 weeks if all goes to plan and I can tie up all loose ends here. I'm starting to wonder whether I should pre-book any hotels since it will be high season when I arrive? I'm assuming Santo Domingo and Santiago should be less of an issue, and I may wing it and just book my first night or two, but from what I've read in Lonely Planet (lame I know) and online, it sounds like Cabarete gets pretty booked up that time of year. Anyone know if it's necessary to pre-book there, or hard to find a place? Worst case I could probably stay in Sosua for longer, but I'd like to spend more time in Cabarete and stay close to the action on the main beach.

I know there are already Cabarete threads but is this a decent place to hook up with either locals or tourist chicks? It sounds like Sosua is pretty much all p4p so I probably won't even bother trying to pick up "normal" girls there, but will shore if the opportunity arises, otherwise all bets will be off.

Anyhow I'm starting to get excited about this trip, but to be honest outside of planning an itinerary, I haven't done much in preparation for this trip. I'm listening to Pimsleur language CDs in my car, but as I've gone up in lessons, it's getting harder and I feel like my progress is stagnating. I'll hardly be conversational at the start of my trip, and approaching in a foreign language that I'm not conversational in has always been one of my sticking points.

Listen to Latin American Spanish radio, a talk station. It's one way of submerging yourself in the language without being there. Also the problem with Rep Dom is that they use lots of slang into normal conversations, so you have to be aware of that. This should help:

http://www.colonialzone-dr.com/language.html

As for the radio, this is what helped me:

http://tunein.com/radio/Dominican-Republic-r100333/

Dominican Republic - el mechanico - 12-02-2013

OG why are you going to Sousa- Cabarete? I think your setting yourself up for another hate thread.

Quote: (12-02-2013 12:01 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

OG why are you going to Sousa- Cabarete? I think your setting yourself up for another hate thread.

Why where should I go? I know Sosua sounds whack, so I don't plan on spending time there, but from what I've read Cabarete sounds pretty dope. I'm already planning on spending a decent bit of time in Santo Domingo and Santiago.

Basically I want to spend a good amount of time chilling at the beach, I also want to check out Las Terranas and Las Galleras on the north coast, both spots aren't really heavy on the party scene, but are supposed to have epic beaches.

I don't think a lot of you guys can relate, but I'm not the type to want to spend 5 weeks in one city like S.D. and only try to fuck girls off badoo or whatever seems to be the norm for guys in the D.R.

Not to knock that, and I tip my hat to the players swooping mad pussy, but I think I'd be more miserable staying in a city the whole time, especially considering the D.R. is supposed to have absolutely epic beaches. In addition to beach stuff, I think I will try to do some whitewater rafting, hiking to waterfalls, etc.

Aside from the beaches on the northcoast, I would maybe consider axing that part of my itinerary and heading over to Punta Cana/Bavaro, since there is supposed to be a good mix of beaches and party scene there.

So El Mech, what would be your recipe for a good time in the D.R., since you seem to imply that my choice of destination is off, and I may be setting myself up for a "hate thread". Also, I don't think I've ever really posted a "hate thread", I posted about my trip to Mexico, and I didn't get any, that sucked, but at least I was honest, and I have my reasons why I didn't get any down there.

Dominican Republic - Lothario - 12-02-2013

Sup OG , I think you are going to have a ton of fun in DR. Thing about DR is you can do whatever the F... you want to . Girls off Badoo , Chiling on beach and macking , college girls in SD or Santiago , you will find what jives with your rhythm.

SD is not just Girls off Badoo or Bario Girls, I would seriously and highly recommend getting in touch with the driver, he can take you to spots that you will have hard time figuring out on your own. Go sit at a colmadone chugging presidente Light next to UTESA and spit game at girls buying empenadas etc or let them open you if you look a little different, trust me they will be curious......

Las Terranas , great choice my friend for tranquillo time, check out Nagua too if you go that way.

Start a new thread.

Quote: (12-02-2013 02:15 PM)Lothario Wrote:  

Sup OG , I think you are going to have a ton of fun in DR. Thing about DR is you can do whatever the F... you want to . Girls off Badoo , Chiling on beach and macking , college girls in SD or Santiago , you will find what jives with your rhythm.

SD is not just Girls off Badoo or Bario Girls, I would seriously and highly recommend getting in touch with the driver, he can take you to spots that you will have hard time figuring out on your own. Go sit at a colmadone chugging presidente Light next to UTESA and spit game at girls buying empenadas etc or let them open you if you look a little different, trust me they will be curious......

Las Terranas , great choice my friend for tranquillo time, check out Nagua too if you go that way.

Thanks Lothario, I appreciate your feedback and that you have something constructive to say, unlike El Mech, who replies to my post, implies I'm setting myself up for a shitty time, and then implies that I'll post "another hate" thread, which leaves me scratching my head... because I don't think I've ever posted a hate thread.

Why start a new thread, there are already about 100 threads on the D.R., if you're going to take the time to tell me to start a new thread, then you can surely answer my questions.

Oh well fuck it.

Your own thread will be OG specific. Lets start with your first day. Where are you staying?

Dominican Republic - JayJuanGee - 12-02-2013

Quote: (12-02-2013 02:25 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Why start a new thread, there are already about 100 threads on the D.R., if you're going to take the time to tell me to start a new thread, then you can surely answer my questions.

Oh well fuck it.

I agree that a guy should NOT have to start a new thread in order to get some information about his particular plans - and this is a general DR thread.

Language can be very time-consuming, and I studied Spanish in college. However, practice becomes key to application, especially when speaking with people from various dialects or on the street or even in a nightclub. I tend to get lost in the slang and the rapid speech and the subtleties, and if i immerse myself, then key phrases come to me more quickly and I will be less afraid to employ them. Accordingly, having a few phrases in your head can be very helpful in anticipating how to keep some control in the direction of any spanish dialogue.

Also, I found that when I was transitioning from college type learing to actual in-person and active participation, engaging in Spanish chat helped me to to transition to get the language in my head - rather than passively reading or listening. On chat, a guy can look up words and then get better at knowing some words when they come up, and chat tends to be kind of informal and gives a guy a sense of how regular people put sentences together and common expressions.

Quote:Quote:

I agree that a guy should NOT have to start a new thread in order to get some information about his particular plans - and this is a general DR thread.

Why not? Why wouldn't you? OG needs help did you read his Mexico thread?

Dominican Republic - JayJuanGee - 12-02-2013

Quote: (12-02-2013 02:47 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

Why not? Why wouldn't you? OG needs help did you read his Mexico thread?

hehehehe...

You may be right that I am misinformed about the level of need(s) of OG. I have NOT yet looked at his Mexico thread. So, I will concede to you on that point.

I was just thinking along the lines of what OG had said in his post above that another thread from him may be duplicative - and this one does seem to be a fairly general DR thread.

Additionally, I was thinking that it may be beneficial for any guy to hang onto the coat tails of another popular thread than to create his own particular thread and NO ONE participates in the guy's new thread.

Dominican Republic - renotime - 12-02-2013

I think I might head down here for xmas. Good or bad time to go?

Dominican Republic - buja - 12-03-2013

Quote: (12-02-2013 02:19 AM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Props to you OG for plowing through the Pimsleurs.

It sounds like you've hit a plateau...that's normal in learning languages.
If you keep up with the lessons, when you leave that plateau, you'll jump higher.

Dominican Republic - jcall007 - 12-03-2013

Heading to Santo Domingo for Christmas. Already pipelined some cuties and can't wait to arrive. Oh yeah and first post!