Roosh V Forum
Incompetent Hairstylists - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Incompetent Hairstylists (/thread-6830.html)

Pages: 1 2

Incompetent Hairstylists - CupCake - 09-23-2011

I just got back from a hair salon and I'm about to kill.

Over the past year or so I've been trying to experiment with different hairstyles to see what suits me best. My last haircut was a stylized mohawk which fit me quite well. I was happy with it until the sides began to grow out and I started to look like a douche. I decided (reluctantly) to take a trip to a new salon a friend had recommended to see if I could get it touched up.

Basically, I paid this bitch $30 to fuck up my head. I wanted to smack her.

Year after year I've been having the same problem: where to get my haircut done by competent stylists. Everywhere I go the asshole doesn't listen to what I want or starts getting "creative" in ways that I hate. Sometimes I try to let the artist do their thing, other times I try to get very specific on what I want. Neither of these strategies seems to work. I almost always come home pretty pissed off.

My biggest problem has been people (especially hipsters) getting an attitude with me if I get picky. Many of them really don't seem to give a shit about their jobs and just want me to GTFO.

I realize most guys have rather low-maintenance cuts, but for those who don't: how do you go about picking a barber that does the job right? I'm honestly considering doing it myself from now on and seeing how that works out. Might save me some money to boot.

Actually, come to think of it, I thought of a rule that might apply to this.

Do you think the appearance of a stylist says anything about her talent? Wouldn't the hotter, better-dressed stylists do a better job at making other people look good?

Incompetent Hairstylists - Caligula - 09-23-2011

Never let the 'artist' do their thing. Complain and tell them that you're not happy with it and that you expect them to fix it.

I stick to old school barber shops now and never have any issues. My hairstyle is very conservative so there's not much room for error.

A few years ago I forked out $60 for a haircut at a supposedly cool salon. Having heard good things about this place I let them do their thing. When I looked in the mirror at the end I had a ridiculous gay looking fringe and an asymmetric cut. I told her that it was absolutely not what I was looking for and she did a decent job of fixing it after getting detailed instructions.

Clear, unambiguous instructions are important. Or find a picture of a style you like and show it to them. A reasonably competent barber will be able to do most cuts as long as it's not too outlandish.

Incompetent Hairstylists - Basil Ransom - 09-23-2011

A great hairstylist should be like a great personal stylist. They don't use you as their toy to try out their latest whim, but take your vibe as a whole and leave you with a complementary cut that works for you. That means taking into account your face shape, your body, your clothing style, even the social scenes you patronize. Unlike stylists, being a hairstylist combines the choosing and crafting duties- your sartorial stylist chooses items for you to wear, but doesn't sew your shirts. IMO, hairstylists usually suck at the role of choosing your cut.

I would like a hairstylist and to pick something for me but I don't have faith I could find one like the ideal described above. I tried once, and the chick had no opinion to offer whatsoever, so it ended up being a doubly expensive cut.

Quote: (09-23-2011 02:46 PM)CupCake Wrote:  

Do you think the appearance of a stylist says anything about her talent? Wouldn't the hotter, better-dressed stylists do a better job at making other people look good?

In general, hotter girls have better style, and have a better eye for what's sexy. After all, their opinion of what's hot is what matters. The problem is whether what she thinks turns her on actually does, and is reflected in your haircut.

Incompetent Hairstylists - Parlay44 - 09-23-2011

I got tired of hairstyles and just grew my hair long. I keep it tied back in a tail during the day for work.

Haircuts are easy. Just trim the ends and keep it even all around.

There's not too many guys sporting it that dress nice out there.

Quote: (09-23-2011 04:27 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I got tired of hairstyles and just grew my hair long. I keep it tied back in a tail during the day for work.

Do you find that some girls love that look while others hate it? Or is it business as usual?

Quote: (09-23-2011 04:38 PM)Caligula Wrote:  

Do you find that some girls love that look while others hate it? Or is it business as usual?

The beauty of it is that I can switch up my look very easily.

When I go out to lounges I spend some time picking out my clothes and shoes so I look clean cut. I've been asked if I'm Hispanic before because of my long hair. Never had a problem.

When I go to regular bars or dive bars I dress down. Jeans and t-shirt or sweatshirt. Fit right in.

I wear it down at concerts.

Some of the older women that are 30+ are cool with it because that look was popular back in the day.

Funny thing is you'd expect a guy with long hair to be a dirtbag or biker or metalhead or whatever other stereotype there is.

I'm actual very down to earth, college educated, play guitar, read a lot.

I've worked hard labor jobs early on and I've also worked with PHD scientists. So I have a lot to talk about with just about anyone.

If you come across as a smart, cool, funny guy ...the long hair just makes you stand out a little more from the other guys. Especially when you get into your 30's and everyone else is bald. Which every single one of guy friends are.

It's also a sign of good genetics.

Incompetent Hairstylists - MikeCF - 09-23-2011

Build a relationship with a stylist.

When going to a new one, due to a move, I bring in a photo of a pic of my hair cut properly.

Incompetent Hairstylists - oldnemesis - 09-23-2011

It depends on stylist. Go to a Russian or East European stylist, and you'll get some classic style.

Good breakdown Parlay. Am thinking of going for shoulder length this winter.

Quote: (09-23-2011 05:09 PM)Caligula Wrote:  

Good breakdown Parlay. Am thinking of going for shoulder length this winter.

No problem. Just so you know it takes about 2 years from having a short shaved haircut to being able to tie it back in a tail. It's a big sloppy pain in the ass the whole time it's growing out. You gotta trim it every 2 months to keep it healthy and growing. Make sure they trim the fuzz with a buzzer at the back of your neck. Gel is your best friend while it's growing out.

I've grown it out long about 4 times now from a shaved head. I think I'll keep it long from now on until it holds me back career-wise or starts looking bad from balding. I'll shave it all off at that point.

Quote: (09-23-2011 03:21 PM)Caligula Wrote:  

Never let the 'artist' do their thing. Complain and tell them that you're not happy with it and that you expect them to fix it.

Well, the problem is that hair can't be put back on. I always try to bolt before they make things any worse. You're right though that I should be more clear from the beginning about what I want, especially what I DON'T want. Thinning shears?! Who the fuck DOES that?

I got tired of hairstyles and just grew my hair long.

I've grown my hair out before as well. It looked great after about a year and a half but quickly went down hill. Hair looked thinned-out and dead. There was no saving it. I guess I just never had any experience "taking care" of my hair. My hair is also very thick and curly in the back, which became problematic. I cut it off during a particularly humid summer when I was working in a stuffy warehouse. It felt like I had a wool cape on my neck. If I were to do it again I'd have to have some indoor job so I could survive the heat.

Quote: (09-23-2011 07:51 PM)CupCake Wrote:  

Quote: (09-23-2011 03:21 PM)Caligula Wrote:  

Well, the problem is that hair can't be put back on. I always try to bolt before they make things any worse. You're right though that I should be more clear from the beginning about what I want, especially what I DON'T want. Thinning shears?! Who the fuck DOES that?

I got tired of hairstyles and just grew my hair long.

I've grown my hair out before as well. It looked great after about a year and a half but quickly went down hill. Hair looked thinned-out and dead. There was no saving it. I guess I just never had any experience "taking care" of my hair. My hair is also very thick and curly in the back, which became problematic. I cut it off during a particularly humid summer when I was working in a stuffy warehouse. It felt like I had a wool cape on my neck. If I were to do it again I'd have to have some indoor job so I could survive the heat.

Nutrition is the key. Poor health shows in your skin and hair. Take multi-vitamins. Protein and green vegetables.

Use a comb not a brush and comb it out a few times a day especially before bed and before showering.

You can grow it out under a hat. That's what I did the first time until it was long enough to tie back. You can pull off a decent look with hats if you experiment. Baseball hats, Kangols ...whatever.

Use leave-in conditioner. I use Infusium and any kind of leave-in cream conditioner. I also have like 5 different kinds of shampoo. Your hair gets used to one kind so you have to change it up every few days or it gets knotty or dry.

Incompetent Hairstylists - Chad Daring - 09-23-2011

I envy you guys who can grow it out, mine turns into a jungle fro if I let it go. I've been shaving or short buzzing it all summer, letting it grow out a bit for the fall, though I'm already starting to consider buzzing it back down again.

The general tip of adopting a style that you can maintain yourself is well worth it though. Since I took over cutting my own hair its easily saved me a few hundred dollars in just a few months (my hair grows like weeds planted in fertilizer)

Quote: (09-23-2011 08:02 PM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

I envy you guys who can grow it out, mine turns into a jungle fro if I let it go. I've been shaving or short buzzing it all summer, letting it grow out a bit for the fall, though I'm already starting to consider buzzing it back down again.

The general tip of adopting a style that you can maintain yourself is well worth it though. Since I took over cutting my own hair its easily saved me a few hundred dollars in just a few months (my hair grows like weeds planted in fertilizer)

You know I've been mistaken for a girl before because my hair was so long. I can touch my bangs to my nipples. It's the same length all the way around.

Yeah, nutrition and conditioner are pretty key if you have crap hair. Wish I knew that when I was starting out. My outdoor manual labor jobs were not helping either.

I'm jealous of the hair, man. I'm sure if you got a rugged beard going and the right clothes you'd be a chick magnet. I didn't realize until recently how much hair can give you an edge.

Quote: (09-23-2011 08:27 PM)CupCake Wrote:  

Yeah, nutrition and conditioner are pretty key if you have crap hair. Wish I knew that when I was starting out. My outdoor manual labor jobs were not helping either.

I'm jealous of the hair, man. I'm sure if you got a rugged beard going and the right clothes you'd be a chick magnet. I didn't realize until recently how much hair can give you an edge.

Beard ..really? I'd feel like one of the Bee-Gees if I had a beard. LOL

I always clean shave. I can't stand facial hair. It's just itchy and annoying.

Girls have complained about it scratching their face when we're making out.

Plus I'm starting to get a lot of greys in my beard. I wanna look as young as I can.

We should start a facial hair thread and get some feedback on what works nowadays.

Incompetent Hairstylists - Chad Daring - 09-23-2011

Every girl that I've made out with has told me that they dont like guys with beards because it scratches them...expect for me. I've had a full beard for a few years now, I like the way it makes me look so I keep.

I think girls not liking beards is bullshit. Women like whats infront of them and has the attitude to make their crotch wet, more proof physical appearance is secondary.

Incompetent Hairstylists - Roosh - 09-24-2011

Bring multiple photos of how you want it to look. Make sure the pictures are clear. This greatly reduces the chance of getting your hair messed up.

I got burned too many times so a couple years ago I started cutting my hair with a swiss army knife (the little scissors attachment). There were many bad cuts I inflicted on myself, and the back is always hard, but I learned how to do it well. Takes me about 30 minutes a month.

[Image: Classic.jpg]

Quote:Quote:

Every girl that I've made out with has told me that they dont like guys with beards because it scratches them... I think girls not liking beards is bullshit

If girls really followed what they think they wanted, I would never get laid.... ever!

Incompetent Hairstylists - Aliblahba - 09-24-2011

Quote: (09-23-2011 05:02 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

It depends on stylist. Go to a Russian or East European stylist, and you'll get some classic style.

The best cuts I've gotten were from Estonia and Thailand. In both instances they didn't even ask what I wanted. They knew. The absolute worst cuts have come from the U.S. I've found that black stylists here do far better though. The Middle East falls somewhere in the middle.

Incompetent Hairstylists - CupCake - 09-24-2011

Quote: (09-23-2011 08:38 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Plus I'm starting to get a lot of greys in my beard. I wanna look as young as I can.

No way, man. Grey beards are the shit. Old, rugged, distinguished. Why would you want to look like a babyface when you can look like an experienced man?

Incompetent Hairstylists - Aliblahba - 09-24-2011

Quote: (09-24-2011 10:54 AM)CupCake Wrote:  

Quote: (09-23-2011 08:38 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

No way, man. Grey beards are the shit. Old, rugged, distinguished. Why would you want to look like a babyface when you can look like an experienced man?

Whatever. I started getting grey in my beard and shaved that shit off. Too many years of fast motorcycles, faster women, and Irish whiskey. IED's didn't help either. [Image: angel.gif]

Incompetent Hairstylists - Screwston - 09-24-2011

your problem is going to a salon. Go to a barber shop like real men [Image: smile.gif]

Incompetent Hairstylists - travolta - 09-24-2011

I got a couple of really shitty haircuts in Thailand. This guy in Bangkok cut my hair.. he has been in business for about 50 years, has cut famous people's hair, spent about an hour on the cut, and it came out bad. Made me look like a "smart nerd who wears glasses" type. I have extremely thick and curly hair, so it's understandable that it was a shitty haircut.. they aren't used to cutting my type of hair in Asia.

I used to get my haircuts from this flamboyantly gay Vietnamese guy when i lived in Florida. I would tell him to do whatever he thought looked good. I've never had any complaints. He would try talking about his "man problems" when he was cuttiing my hair, and how he likes to listen to house music and take X. it was ridiculous & hilarious. Unfortunately I no longer live in the area. I don't trust anyone else to cut my hair. Now I'm just growing out my hair to avoid the situation altogether.

The point I'm making is that you should find a gay Asian male hair stylist to cit your hair. They are the people to go to when it comes to style advice

Incompetent Hairstylists - Roosh - 09-24-2011

Quote: (09-24-2011 01:36 PM)houston Wrote:  

your problem is going to a salon. Go to a barber shop like real men [Image: smile.gif]

Sure for short hair. But if your hair is long than you should go to a stylist.