Roosh V Forum
Finally talked with my boss - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Game (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-2.html)
+---- Forum: Newbie Forum (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-4.html)
+---- Thread: Finally talked with my boss (/thread-63420.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Finally talked with my boss - Yves555 - 06-21-2017

Hi guys, I started at a new job place 7 months ago , and my boss is really satisfied from my abillites and he always gives me good feedback, I'm just dominating and controlling every department in my work place and he always keep telling me how much he apperciate me, So I made an appointment with him a few days ago and I told him how much I like the company, and my job and, that I want to influence and do more for the company - and the bottom line is that I want to get promoted and serve a bigger role in the company - so he said that he will think about what role he can advance me to , and then I asked him for a raise atleast in this time I'm waiting for the new role and he said that I will stay with the same work conditions untill he will get me the new job. It was one week ago and he still didnt say anything about it.

Should I try to "remind" him about it? or wait more a couple weeks?
Should I talk with the BIGGEST boss of the company or not?
Maybe hes not really trying to find me a new role and just saying it to "shut me up"?

Any recommendation or suggestions? Thank you guys.

Finally talked with my boss - Windom Earle - 06-21-2017

1. Don't go over his head - respect the chain of command.

2. If your job requires you to have excellent written communication skills, I'd be working on that.

Finally talked with my boss - Darkwing Buck - 06-21-2017

Uhhh depending on the size, structure, and hierarchy of the company it's not like you can just immediately get approved for a raise or promotion in 7 days. I mean seriously do you not think that your boss has people above him and protocol he has to follow? Even if he wanted to promote you or agreed with you do you think he can just on his own authority give you a promotion or a raise?

Come on man.

Finally talked with my boss - Yves555 - 06-21-2017

I know my boss has people above him, but I told him this ONE WEEK AGO, so how much time it takes to response me back with an answer? and why he didnt say anything about it this whole week?

Finally talked with my boss - Corollary - 06-21-2017

Since you have already asked the question, you should remind him about the previous conversation as soon as possible. If he was just bullshitting you, then he'll come up with more bullshit, and you should look for another job. If he wasn't bullshitting you, then he either forgot or is working on it. If he forgot, then he obviously needs to be reminded. And if he's working on it, he should have no problem giving you an update.

Back when I worked at various places, I never loss anything by constantly following up with people until they did what I wanted. I always erred on the side of being annoying, and it worked well for me. It's in my personality though to call people out on things, so I feel like people I worked with came to expect it. If you aren't the same way, things may not work out as well as they did for me.

Finally talked with my boss - polar - 06-22-2017

Some good advice above already.

You didn't provide much detail so I'll keep it broad.

One week isn't much time in a corporate environment. Seven months isn't much time to get promoted, especially if it's a structured environment.

Next time you meet with him one on one, ask him for what expectations he wants you to meet in order to get a raise or promoted. Have a list of existing accomplishments ready to go (improvements, leadership, etc.) if it's a big company, they should have this written up already. Update him on progress on these goals monthly.

If it's a big corporation, you'll have to do time at each step to move up. After the 1.5-2 year mark you could interview elsewhere to get an offer and ask them to counter but you can't do this often.

Finally talked with my boss - Hypno - 06-22-2017

A week is not that long in the corporate world, but do be proactive and bring it up.

The best thing you can do is look for other plates to spin - update your resume and linked in page. Continue to network. Look for speaking and volunteer gigs in your industry.

At work, volunteer for projects even if they are unrelated to what you do - be the United Way chairman or organize the pot luck lunch or maybe a company outing to a major league baseball game or something. Ambition is good, and you seem to have plenty, so work on communicating your humility and team mentality.

Finally talked with my boss - Phoenix - 06-22-2017

Read 48 laws of power again.

Respecting the existing power hierarchy is the best way to never move up, and to get used, unless you live in an age-seniority place like Japan.

He has no incentive to move you up the chain. If you're a good worker he has every reason to keep you under him so he gets to use your labour for his purposes, and will "oh yeah well there's kind of no room for promotions at the moment" you for as long as he can. Why would he want you in a position of competition or control instead of subordination? People do not get promoted for good work alone, you have to have that and ways to leverage it into career advancement.

Finally talked with my boss - RatInTheWoods - 06-22-2017

Don't beg for raises or more responsibility.

If you are that good to deserve it, go get it.

Get another job with higher pay or more responsibility, or start a business and charge what you are worth.

Finally talked with my boss - Soyouz - 06-22-2017

Asking for a raise or a promotion after 7 months might be too soon, depending on the environment you work in.

Here's what I would have said if I was you : "Hey boss, I'm loving my job so far and I'm doing well with my current projects, I love this company and I would like to have more responsibilities which could lead to a promotion in a few months. Could we make a development plan and set objectives that would help me achieve this goal?".

If your boss is a slacker and won't push for your promotion, you can always tell him "I still love my job, but I would like to have more responsibilities and I would like to talk about it with Boss X (the higher boss who could help you)". He might say that he wants to talk to him first, agree and wait for another 2-3 weeks. Then go meet Boss X yourself.

Same thing with HR : do not talk to them first without informing your boss. In fact, I would probably advice you to avoid HR in your current situation. HR love to say that everything you tell them is anonymous, but it's bullshit. They will probably give feedback to your boss (I work in HR, most people who work in HR love to gossip and can't be trusted). HR might twist up what you really meant, and give bad feedback to your boss (just like the FAKE NEWS will twist up every words from Trump to fit their own agenda).

You could also bullshit to put pressure : keep working hard, keep being positive for a few months. If you don't see any results, you can tell your boss "I had this headhunter who invited me for dinner, he said that another company knows about me and would like to hire me and give me 10k more. They asked me to keep the name of the company anonymous, but it's a good one." If your boss likes you and needs you, he will then do whatever he can to keep you. If not, find an excuse to say that you declined the "other job", update your resume, and start looking for another position elsewhere.

Finally talked with my boss - Yves555 - 06-22-2017

Quote: (06-22-2017 07:40 AM)Phoenix Wrote:  

Read 48 laws of power again.

Respecting the existing power hierarchy is the best way to never move up, and to get used, unless you live in an age-seniority place like Japan.

He has no incentive to move you up the chain. If you're a good worker he has every reason to keep you under him so he gets to use your labour for his purposes, and will "oh yeah well there's kind of no room for promotions at the moment" you for as long as he can. Why would he want you in a position of competition or control instead of subordination? People do not get promoted for good work alone, you have to have that and ways to leverage it into career advancement.

The "Boss" I was refering to is the general manager of the local area of the hotel chain im working at (three hotels), and right now he's also an active general manager of the hotel i'm working at, becuase there is no other general manager for the current hotel right now, also there is someone who still working in the company who was the vice presdient of the hotel but he was too weak and now he got downgraded to a manager of one of the hotel departments - so its my chance now to push harder.

In my job role I am in charge of the hotel duty in the evening and now I want to advance to become ATLEAST the vice presdient or even the GENERAL MANAGER of the hotel, why do you think the boss I was refering to (the general manager of the area chain of our hotel company) wouldn't like to advance me? advance someone who is dominant? so he can relax and have no worries? and stay less hours at work?

He comes everyday at 8AM to work until the evening and sometimes even untill 11pm, becuase the managers of the hotel departments are not fully professional, they dont do a good job and an hermetic job, and the hotel right now is not in IT PRIME, but it has alot of potential.

I gave alot of ideas and professional suggestions and I improved the hotel big time, I was marketing the hotel super hard and I was managed to successfully get the hotel to the best rank record in the world leading hotel advertising sites , I control workers and costumers very good - I got great interpersonal relations.
I got an unstoppable ambition and I'm the youngest manager - I got the hunger and the energy, I got the potenetial.

So why do you think my boss whould STILL stick me in my current position?
Maybe he didn't decide yet how to promote me?
Maybe now becuase I talked him for the first time about promotion he tests me and looks at me at a different angle, so he takes his time?
Maybe It's also about the politics, becuase I'm working only for a few months and I'm also the youngest guy so the other workers would be envy of me If I will get promoted to such a respected position, and besides that, the guy who was the vice president is STILL working in the hotel, altough hes not the vice presdient anymore.

Share you're opinions now that you got THE WHOLE PICTURE and much more information to understand this puzzle.

Finally talked with my boss - Suits - 06-22-2017

OP, is it too much to consider the possibility that your boss might have more factors to consider that the ones you've outlined?

None of us know you, so we have no idea whether you are really as awesome as you say or if you're a motivated worker who simply lacks the skills/experience to be useful at a higher level.

Read this: https://www.ribbonfarm.com/the-gervais-principle/

Finally talked with my boss - Kona - 06-22-2017

Get something on paper about how you have increased the company's profits in the time you were there. You gotta have a reason to justify paying you more.

Then show them how you are gonna keep making them more money.

Don't make it about you.

Also, what is the discount rate you are able to give to Hawaiians that give you great advice on forums that want to stay a night or two?

Aloha!

Finally talked with my boss - H1N1 - 06-23-2017

Kona's advice is on point - your mistake, to the extent that you appear to have made one, is that you've gone in there with your boss and told him all about what you want. You've not, it seems, begun to consider what he might want, or what his bosses might want. How you phrase yourself makes all the difference in these things, and to me here you haven't come across very strongly.

Much better would have been to highlight an existing need for the company requiring skills/abilities you have, and showing them how you might step up and take on that responsibility. It would have been particularly effective to tie this in with some kind of headache your boss currently has, if at all possible. If you want to be a strong negotiator, you should try to look at what those above you want/need, and frame yourself in such a way that you can present yourself as the answer.

It may be because English doesn't appear to be your first language, but your choice of words 'dominating' and 'controlling' the departments you work in comes across very badly. This is not what good managers and leaders of men do, and that's what any company is absolutely crying out for at all times. I run a company and the last thing I want to do is dominate or control my employees. Quite the opposite in fact - I want them to feel liberated by working for me. I want them to feel that their talents are fulfilled and that the environment they work in is stimulating and allows them a high degree of independence, within the necessary constraints any business obviously has.

My advice would be to focus much more on what the company needs, and presenting yourself as a solution to that need, rather than telling your boss how well you're doing and what it is you want.

Finally talked with my boss - MrRoundtree - 06-23-2017

Here's another situation:

My boss and I discussed, we had a fairly long year where I had to work at the client place for over a year as consultant. (I've been withthis company over 3-4 years now and I had one promotion).
I had an interview with another company, they offer 10,000$ more than what I do now.

I told my boss I love the workplace and I like working under him but I'm ready now for more responsibilities and the market is in my favour now everybody is hiring in my field and we are not that many specialized people. I told my boss how much the company offered me and he said you shouldbe earnign more than that.

I got a letter from HR where instead (when I get my P. certification), of rising me to my demands, they are rising me half of it.

My boss left the company. Now no one is above me (well there is a guy who got promoted but he doesn't know about all this), I can only discuss with HR.
Where do I go from now on, do I negociate with them?

Finally talked with my boss - Peregrine - 06-23-2017

Quote: (06-23-2017 09:45 AM)MrRoundtree Wrote:  

Here's another situation:

My boss and I discussed, we had a fairly long year where I had to work at the client place for over a year as consultant. (I've been withthis company over 3-4 years now and I had one promotion).
I had an interview with another company, they offer 10,000$ more than what I do now.

I told my boss I love the workplace and I like working under him but I'm ready now for more responsibilities and the market is in my favour now everybody is hiring in my field and we are not that many specialized people. I told my boss how much the company offered me and he said you shouldbe earnign more than that.

I got a letter from HR where instead (when I get my P. certification), of rising me to my demands, they are rising me half of it.

My boss left the company. Now no one is above me (well there is a guy who got promoted but he doesn't know about all this), I can only discuss with HR.
Where do I go from now on, do I negociate with them?

The less you interact with HR, the better. You approach the new guy above you in the chain, while secretly seeing what your options are in the market.

Finally talked with my boss - Yves555 - 06-23-2017

Listen guys, the life are too short to waste time, everyday is a fucking gift and I wouldn't waste my time in a place where I dont get the credit I deserved and the promotion I deserve, everyday I should learn new stuff and advance, and right now this is not the situation, I will set up a meeting with him in the next following days and DEMAND a concrete answer, no time to waste!

All you guys tell me you did the same job for couple of years, wtf? Why do you waste your time? Your life? no advance? bye bye then.
It's all about skill not about time, fucking politics and fuck everything else, If I deserve it, then I deserve it, bottom line. I don't want to take any bullshit anymore. LIFE IS TOO SHORT, and FUCK being average.

Finally talked with my boss - Darkwing Buck - 06-23-2017

Quote: (06-23-2017 08:04 PM)Yves555 Wrote:  

If I deserve it, then I deserve it, bottom line.

If you deserved it, you would have it.

Finally talked with my boss - AneroidOcean - 06-23-2017

Listen guys, the life are too short to waste time, everyday is a fucking gift and I wouldn't waste my time in a place where I dont get the credit I deserved and the promotion I deserve, everyday I should learn new stuff and advance, and right now this is not the situation, I will set up a meeting with him in the next following days and DEMAND a concrete answer, no time to waste!

All you guys tell me you did the same job for couple of years, wtf? Why do you waste your time? Your life? no advance? bye bye then.
It's all about skill not about time, fucking politics and fuck everything else, If I deserve it, then I deserve it, bottom line. I don't want to take any bullshit anymore. LIFE IS TOO SHORT, and FUCK being average.

[Image: look-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-...f02930.jpg]

Finally talked with my boss - JayD - 06-23-2017

Good luck to you. I envision you getting fired or being put into a role where you will hate it and eventually quit. You are most likely easily replaceable.

How old are you 19? 20? World doesn't work that way, where you "DEMAND" things and you get it.

As others have said, you have to Pitch yourself to the company of what YOU are able to do for them and how you are going to do it. How you are valuable to the company not "I do this and this so I deserve this"

Chill the fuck out and come at it from a different angle, if you are able to! Lol

Finally talked with my boss - Kangaroo - 06-23-2017

You must remember that office jobs is 50% politics/attitude and 50% performance, you must play the game or you will lose. Always keep in mind you are replaceable or just a number. Just look for ways to make your bosses job easier, not harder by having meeting where you demand things from him.

Finally talked with my boss - BelyyTigr - 06-24-2017

Quote: (06-23-2017 04:29 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Kona's advice is on point - your mistake, to the extent that you appear to have made one, is that you've gone in there with your boss and told him all about what you want. You've not, it seems, begun to consider what he might want, or what his bosses might want. How you phrase yourself makes all the difference in these things, and to me here you haven't come across very strongly.

Much better would have been to highlight an existing need for the company requiring skills/abilities you have, and showing them how you might step up and take on that responsibility. It would have been particularly effective to tie this in with some kind of headache your boss currently has, if at all possible. If you want to be a strong negotiator, you should try to look at what those above you want/need, and frame yourself in such a way that you can present yourself as the answer.

It may be because English doesn't appear to be your first language, but your choice of words 'dominating' and 'controlling' the departments you work in comes across very badly. This is not what good managers and leaders of men do
, and that's what any company is absolutely crying out for at all times. I run a company and the last thing I want to do is dominate or control my employees. Quite the opposite in fact - I want them to feel liberated by working for me. I want them to feel that their talents are fulfilled and that the environment they work in is stimulating and allows them a high degree of independence, within the necessary constraints any business obviously has.

My advice would be to focus much more on what the company needs, and presenting yourself as a solution to that need, rather than telling your boss how well you're doing and what it is you want.

THIS. Absolutely 1000%.
In particular, the bold part which was what I was just about to post before reading yours.

If I had an employee who openly described himself as "dominating and controlling", I honestly think I'd be considering ways of guiding him towards the exit.

Hotels DO have "dominating and controlling" people. And in my experience they make for very unhappy hotels. Especially for the guests.

Finally talked with my boss - Peregrine - 06-24-2017

> asks for recommendations and suggestions
> proceeds to ignore all recommendations and suggestions

Finally talked with my boss - Suits - 06-24-2017

I hope I never make the mistake of hiring someone like OP.

Finally talked with my boss - SamuelBRoberts - 06-24-2017

I think OP has a point. He is a DOMINANT, and a GO-GETTER and NON-HERMETIC.

I know when I've been a manager I've always said to myself, "I want someone who will march into my office and tell me exactly what they DESERVE, especially somebody in the 18-20 range. I particularity like people who storm into my office less than one week after I say, 'Yeah you're doing a good job I think we could promote you', and DEMAND to know why I haven't done the thing I gave no deadline for." It shows they understand that LIFE IS A GIFT.

Jesus Christ.