Roosh V Forum
Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+---- Forum: Politics (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-8.html)
+---- Thread: Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night (/thread-62429.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Roosh - 04-25-2017

By order of Democratic mayor...

[Image: mitch-landrieu.jpg]

Quote:Quote:

On the same day that some southern states were honoring their rebel heritage, masked workers in New Orleans dismantled a monument to that past — chunk by chunk, under darkness and the protection of police snipers.

“We will no longer allow the Confederacy to literally be put on a pedestal,” Mayor Mitch Landrieu (D) said after a 19th-century obelisk honoring what the mayor called “white supremacists” was taken down early Monday.

The Battle of Liberty Place monument, which honors members of the Crescent City White League who died trying to overthrow the New Orleans government after the Civil War, was the first of four statues linked to the Confederacy that are set to be torn down in New Orleans.

Landrieu said that “intimidation and threats by people who don’t want the statues down” prompted him to order the monument removed before sunrise — without prior announcement, by masked workers, on the same day that some other states celebrate Confederate Memorial Day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post...2b1d7875d9

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Gmac - 04-25-2017

"This is American History whether you like it or not." - pretty much sums it up.

I saw this pop up yesterday and online commenters basically compared it to ISIS destroying historical monuments in Palmyra.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Speculation - 04-25-2017

Reading the comments of that Washington Post article made me rage up.

The leftists boil the monuments down to being 'pro-slavery' and to 'enemies of the United States'.

Destroying history because of a disapproving modern interpretation of past deeds is what ISIS does. And apparently democratic mayors.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - stugatz - 04-25-2017

I have no love for the Confederacy - they seceded pretty frivolously when most of the country would have been just fine with continuing slavery. So many men died over almost nothing (although I guess the question of what would have ended slavery is a valid one).

Slavery was obviously a horrible and barbaric thing. That said, THIS IS WORSE. Rewriting history by deletion is a crime against humanity, and anyone who does it needs to be labeled as an enemy.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Mercenary - 04-25-2017

Quote: (04-25-2017 09:20 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

That high testosterone guy with the awesome beard and deep voice shouting at the workers must be a RVF member.
If he isn't we need to get him a forum account ASAP.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Mercenary - 04-25-2017

Also, the cutting in half and removal of an obelisk (an ancient phallic symbol of male power) is highly symbolic of the castration and emasculation of all men in the west.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Gustavus Adolphus - 04-25-2017

Quote: (04-25-2017 10:34 AM)stugatz Wrote:  

Slavery was obviously a horrible and barbaric thing. That said, THIS IS WORSE. Rewriting history by deletion is a crime against humanity, and anyone who does it needs to be labeled as an enemy.

This event is not worse than slavery.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Leonard D Neubache - 04-25-2017

These fuckwits just keep pushing, don't they.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Atlanta Man - 04-25-2017

The Confederate army lost the war, the monuments should have been gone from public state run facilities a long time ago. Let private individuals pay for the maintenance and care of the statues, not tax dollars.

History is dictated by the winners, the Confederacy lost. The Union was too kind post war, these statues should never have gone up.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - DjembaDjemba - 04-25-2017

Curious, are there any monuments to honour slave rebellions, either successful or suppressed in the region?

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Atlanta Man - 04-25-2017

Quote: (04-25-2017 11:57 AM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  

Curious, are there any monuments to honour slave rebellions, either successful or suppressed in the region?
I want to go to the Nate Turner Museum!

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Repo - 04-25-2017

"It wasn't about race, it was about defending state rights" - Defenders

" A plaque removed from the monument in 1989 once hailed “white supremacy in the South,” " - Article

[Image: laugh7.gif]

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - The Beast1 - 04-25-2017

Quote: (04-25-2017 11:08 AM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  

The Confederate army lost the war, the monuments should have been gone from public state run facilities a long time ago. Let private individuals pay for the maintenance and care of the statues, not tax dollars.

History is dictated by the winners, the Confederacy lost. The Union was too kind post war, these statues should never have gone up.

And we're just supposed to ignore the lives of the sons and husbands who gave their lives fighting for a cause they all believed in?

When I was traveling through Europe, I always stopped and gave a moment of silence for the war memorials (for BOTH world wars) in Germany. Nothing is more disgusting than dishonoring the memories of men who fought for something they believed in, even if they lost.

On an completely unrelated note, I just learned that the slave trade is still alive and well in Africa.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Sumanguru - 04-25-2017

If this was removal of any mention of the Confederacy from textbooks, then I would disagree with it as that is censorship and lying about history. But I have no desire to see *monuments* in America of a hostile, failure nation that attacked us. This is fine.

Quote: (04-25-2017 12:10 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

And we're just supposed to ignore the lives of the sons and husbands who gave their lives fighting for a cause they all believed in?

When I was traveling through Europe, I always stopped and gave a moment of silence for the war memorials (for BOTH world wars) in Germany. Nothing is more disgusting than dishonoring the memories of men who fought for something they believed in, even if they lost.
They lost, time to stop dwelling on the losers- The winners are doing something that was a long time coming. The Confederacy is no more, open a private museum and honor the losers-long live the UNITED STATES of America in all her glory, down with traitors and those who turned to sedition for their own selfish reasons.....

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - The Beast1 - 04-25-2017

Quote: (04-25-2017 12:16 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  

They lost, time to stop dwelling on the losers- The winners are doing something that was a long time coming. The Confederacy is no more, open a private museum and honor the losers-long live the UNITED STATES of America in all her glory, down with traitors and those who turned to sedition for their own selfish reasons.....

[Image: 5cd8100c2a67b7843392c88120f1c059.jpg]

We lost, time to stop dwelling on the losers. Yeah, totally makes sense!

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Repo - 04-25-2017

Bet if a bunch of SJWs started an open rebellion against Trump and got slaughtered no one here would give them a statue.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - DjembaDjemba - 04-25-2017

Quote: (04-25-2017 12:02 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  

Quote: (04-25-2017 11:57 AM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  

I want to go to the Nate Turner Museum!

I don't mean it rhetorically, I know that in certain Latin and Caribbean countries there are monuments to honour those who resisted slavery. Not just in museums.

I'm curious if that's the case with the US? It seems most of the rhetoric today is all about the confederacy and it's aftermath. Especially the symbolism. They certainly weren't the only rebellion in the colonial Americas.

Quote: (04-25-2017 12:19 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Those were American Soldiers fighting for the UNITED STATES against the specter of Communism- Not usurpers fighting to destroy the UNITED STATES from within for the economic prosperity of a few traitors dead set on sedition as a means to accomplishing their their goals. Does the difference seem clear? I hope so because my father fought in China, and my uncle died in Vietnam and they were both patriotic Americans that fought for the UNITED STATES not to destroy it.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Jean Valjean - 04-25-2017

I'm curious, why is it only in the last few years that people in the political mainstream have been objecting that Confederate flags, monuments, etc. are symbolic of racism, hatred, etc., and demanding they be removed? Is this all because of Dylann Roof? Roof himself wrote, "I was not raised in a racist home or environment." He cites his research into issues like the Trayvon Martin case and the European migrant crisis as what radicalized him. Getting rid of Confederate flags and monuments would probably not have prevented that shooting. Maybe it would've even radicalized him more.

In the future, I think Confederate flags and monuments (and anything else that challenges the mainstream narrative) will need to be paid for and maintained by private organizations. In Virginia, after the Confederate battle flag was removed from the Confederate Memorial Chapel in Richmond, the Virginia Flaggers took on the responsibility of erecting flagpoles and flying the Confederate flag. Some local governments have tried to block them from doing this, but that hasn't hindered them too much because they've been able to just go down the road a few miles to a different jurisdiction and fly the flag there.

Cuckservative politicians are running scared at this point, worrying that the Trump resistance is going to target them if they don't fall into line. A Virginia gubernatorial candidate, Corey Stewart, defended a statue of Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville, and recently Republicans have been pulling their endorsements of him and endorsing his opponent instead. Stewart said, "They’re blaming this Confederate flag issue, but they’re not following this race very carefully. Because this is not about the Confederate flag. It’s about out-of-control political correctness that shames people for celebrating their ancestry and their heritage." His campaign is partly a cultural referendum, just like Trump's was.

People criticize the Confederacy, but the United States also promoted slavery, through laws like the Fugitive Slave Act. Slavery was written into the U.S. Constitution. Yet the politicians still fly the U.S. flag and celebrate American heritage, because they'd get criticized as unpatriotic if they didn't. The 4th of July is still observed as a holiday, even though American independence probably prolonged slavery beyond how long it would've existed under British rule. (The British finished abolishing slavery in 1843.)

My guess is that if the Confederates had won, they would've had slavery for awhile, and then phased it out, just as most other first world countries did. The Confederate Constitution, like the U.S. Constitution, banned the international slave trade (except between the U.S. and the Confederacy), which suggests to me that they were headed in the direction of eventually freeing their slaves. They just wanted to do it on their own timetable and in their own way. Maybe there would've been a buyout at some point.

If we're going to get rid of Confederate symbols, then I guess we should also get rid of all the statues of Washington, Jefferson, and other slave holders. It'll never happen, though, because whatever regime is currently in power always gets a free pass on whatever genocides, enslavements, oppressions, etc. they were responsible for. They have to glorify the rebels who created this country, and demonize those rebels who wanted to break away from it, as part of their narrative that those who support this country are mostly good and those who oppose it are mostly evil.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Mark Fletcher - 04-25-2017

I have a few ancestors who fought for the confederacy. Guarantee they were stronger, braver men than myself or anyone else on this forum.

Quote: (04-25-2017 12:27 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  

Quote: (04-25-2017 12:19 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Those were American Soldiers fighting for the UNITED STATES against the specter of Communism- Not usurpers fighting to destroy the UNITED STATES from within for the economic prosperity of a few traitors dead set on sedition as a means to accomplishing their their goals. Does the difference seem clear? I hope so because my father fought in China, and my uncle died in Vietnam and they were both patriotic Americans that fought for the UNITED STATES not to destroy it.

You should always honor the dead, regardless of which side they fought on. Letting their memory fade in obscurity is disgusting and dishonorable.

I bet you'd have no problem keeping this monument honoring the memory of a black man who served in the confederacy too or would you tear it down too? There are handfuls more like this scattered around the south:

https://sites.google.com/a/darcosc.net/c...-dad-brown

America's s only fault was importing slaves to begin with.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - BrewDog - 04-25-2017

The talk of Vietnam being about American freedom is sad. It's 45 years past and some people think that the NVA posed any threat to America.

Talk to a Vietnam infantryman sometime and ask him if he was fighting for American freedom. Ask him how he feels about 58,168 of his countrymen dying for that "freedom."

As far as the Confederate monuments go, take them all down. Take everything about that horrible war out of our American history books. We can forget about the whole thing. And when that history no longer exists, you can stop demanding affirmative action and reparations from me for something I never had anything to do with.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - Sumanguru - 04-25-2017

Quote: (04-25-2017 12:45 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

I bet you'd have no problem keeping this monument honoring the memory of a black man who served in the confederacy too or would you tear it down too?

I would tear it down.

I don't care if I happened to be the same race as him, he fought for a nation *hostile to America*. I have no interest in him, or any member of the Confederacy, having a monument on American soil any more than I would want the Japanese to have a WWII monument on American soil. Fuck that.

Confederate monuments removed from New Orleans in dead of night - BrewDog - 04-25-2017

I think some of you forget that the United States was formed by traitors. Why do we allow symbols of treason such as the Washington Monument, the American flag, or the Jefferson Memorial?

You know what America did to traitors in the 1700's? They made them president.