Roosh V Forum
Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago (/thread-57691.html)

Pages: 1 2

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - robreke - 08-16-2016

I know there's a fair share of millennial-bashing threads on the forum.

So, I thought 'why not add one more?' [Image: lol.gif]

Especially, since it just came out;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...chers-say/

From the article:

"I, on the other hand, have the soft palms of a modern-day desk jockey. My hands are delicate, well-moisturized, and prone to blisters if I spend too much time in the garden.

And I’m not the only one. A new study in press at the Journal of Hand Therapy (yes, a real thing) finds that millennial men may have significantly weaker hands and arms than men the same age did 30 years ago.

Researchers measured the grip strength (how strongly you can squeeze something) and pinch strength (how strongly you can pinch something between two fingers) of 237 healthy full-time students aged 20 to 34 at universities in North Carolina. And especially among males, the reduction in strength compared to 30 years ago was striking.

Of course, this begs the question 'why is this so?' Too much estrogen in the water/soy in the food/ hormones in the meats? Those or maybe it's just too much laziness and gaming on the couch as opposed to getting out and doing physical shit like young men did years ago. Likely, a combination.

This article, of course, is based on the general population. There's anomalies outside the norm. I'm guessing serious RVF millennials tend to work out and lift more and in general, are stronger than their peers.

Still, it's an interesting study that, when I heard it, didn't surprise me.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Sidney Crosby - 08-16-2016

So you're saying this isn't tough?

[Image: Jeremy_Davis_paramore.jpg]

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Gmac - 08-16-2016

Dupe
(or maybe it was a link in another thread... I coulda sworn there was one with a similar title)

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Jones - 08-16-2016

Quote: (08-16-2016 05:48 PM)robreke Wrote:  

maybe it's just too much laziness and gaming on the couch as opposed to getting out and doing physical shit like young men did years ago. Likely, a combination.

You mean they aren't gripping the controllers hard enough?

Today's men are afraid of the gym. Too afraid to fail and fearful of being judged by other men.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - robreke - 08-16-2016

Quote: (08-16-2016 06:51 PM)Jones Wrote:  

Quote: (08-16-2016 05:48 PM)robreke Wrote:  

maybe it's just too much laziness and gaming on the couch as opposed to getting out and doing physical shit like young men did years ago. Likely, a combination.

You mean they aren't gripping the controllers hard enough?

Today's men are afraid of the gym. Too afraid to fail and fearful of being judged by other men.

In general, compared to men of generations past, the younger generation is perhaps more 'fearful of being judged' than those older . Hence things like 'safe spaces' or whatever the hell the Universities are calling them.

That said, I do know quite a few young guys, who would be considered 'millennials' who are strong, fit and hit the weights hard. Of course, these are, by and large, red pill guys I'm speaking of.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Fortis - 08-16-2016

Sure, I believe it. My dad and grandfather can both crush walnuts in the palm of their hands. Even after 3 years in the gym my grip strength is nowhere near high enough to pull that off.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - ivansirko - 08-16-2016

Totally believe it. We value hashtags, phones, and safe spaces more than physical self-improvement.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - weambulance - 08-16-2016

Quote: (08-16-2016 07:18 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

Sure, I believe it. My dad and grandfather can both crush walnuts in the palm of their hands. Even after 3 years in the gym my grip strength is nowhere near high enough to pull that off.

Gotta work on your technique, brah.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - realologist - 08-16-2016

A lot of you guys are over thinking this. The reason their grip strength was stronger is because back then more jobs were physical labor. They required the grip and arm strength to do this 8 hours every day.

Their off work activities were more likely to be physical as well so of course their grip and arm strength will be stronger than someone who sits at a desk and plays video games/surfs the internet as a hobby.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - redbeard - 08-16-2016

I've been meaning to write about this.

I belong to a gym with many older guys, strong ones too. How many of them wear wrist wraps? Zero. How many 20 something gym rats wear wrist wraps? At least half.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - SamuelBRoberts - 08-16-2016

"I belong to a gym with many older guys, strong ones too. How many of them wear wrist wraps? Zero. How many 20 something gym rats wear wrist wraps? At least half."

Millenials are more vulnerable to tendonitis in that area because we're typing at the computer all damn day.
I'm actually taking a break from lifting right now since I screwed up my wrists pretty bad. Haven't been able to go to the gym since April.

That aside, the heck's wrong with wrist wraps? They're like 5$.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Fortis - 08-16-2016

Quote: (08-16-2016 07:48 PM)weambulance Wrote:  

Quote: (08-16-2016 07:18 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

Gotta work on your technique, brah.

Nah, I've seen my grandfather do a single walnut. Not this double walnut shit.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - redbeard - 08-16-2016

Quote: (08-16-2016 08:00 PM)SamuelBRoberts Wrote:  

"I belong to a gym with many older guys, strong ones too. How many of them wear wrist wraps? Zero. How many 20 something gym rats wear wrist wraps? At least half."

Millenials are more vulnerable to tendonitis in that area because we're typing at the computer all damn day.
I'm actually taking a break from lifting right now since I screwed up my wrists pretty bad. Haven't been able to go to the gym since April.

That aside, the heck's wrong with wrist wraps? They're like 5$.

I have a full post in the drafts pile, but I had a nightmare wrist sprain (from playing basketball) that had me out of the lifting game for months. It would go away with stretching, icing, all the traditional rehab, but when I would come back, wrist pain was eventual with some specific movements.

It wasn't until I worked on my grip strength that things turned around. I took a step back and started doing grip work three times a week, and guess what...the wrist issues have been largely kept at bay. Whenever I start slacking on my grip training, it comes back.

Wrist wraps are $5 but are a band aid to bigger issues.

Quote: (08-16-2016 07:51 PM)realologist Wrote:  

A lot of you guys are over thinking this. The reason their grip strength was stronger is because back then more jobs were physical labor. They required the grip and arm strength to do this 8 hours every day.

Their off work activities were more likely to be physical as well so of course their grip and arm strength will be stronger than someone who sits at a desk and plays video games/surfs the internet as a hobby.

That may be a part of it, but I don't think it's the main reason. I do agree with the part that their off work activities were more physical. Guys played sports more and more of the male population probably hit the gym as opposed to playing Pokemon Go or some other idle activity.

There's just as many construction and physical labor jobs if not more in the US today than in the 80s. A large majority of the male population were white collar office workers in the 70s and 80s. It's not as if it was a predominately physical labor society just 30 years ago.

In the 80s and into the 90s, high school kids talked about and admired guys like Arnold Scwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone. Those were the movie 'heroes' to be emulated. Those are the movies kids loved to go see.

I think there was more emphasis on physical strength and it was something that was propagated by Hollywood to a decent extent. Not that they don't have bad asses in movies today, it just gets drowned out by all the SJW manlets and 'tough' girls in the other competing movies and forms of entertainment.

Hell, even the Presidents then were tough guys. Reagan swung an axe, chopped wood, rode horses and and shot pistols with the secret service at his California Ranch. All this after being shot a few months into his presidency.

I don't know if Obama could pick up an axe, much less effectively chop wood with one.

Today, I'm not sure who young guys, in general, look up to as movie stars or so called "idols" but I don't think it's weight lifting strong men like Arnie and Sly.

When Arnold and Franco moved to California, they were broke. Instead of doing gay for pay like today's bodybuilders, they worked construction. Rumor has it they employed their Austrian and Italian accents to convince folk they were European construction experts. This is on top of their grueling two a day workouts.

Do you think they wore wrist wraps?

[Image: Bc7IFm.jpg]

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Snowplow - 08-16-2016

Quote: (08-16-2016 09:09 PM)robreke Wrote:  

Quote: (08-16-2016 07:51 PM)realologist Wrote:  

That may be a part of it, but I don't think it's the main reason. I do agree with the part that their off work activities were more physical. Guys played sports more and more of the male population probably hit the gym as opposed to playing Pokemon Go or some other idle activity.

There's just as many construction and physical labor jobs if not more in the US today than in the 80s. A large majority of the male population were white collar office workers in the 70s. It's not as if it was a predominately physical labor society just 30 years ago.

In the 80s and into the 90s, high school kids talked about and admired guys like Arnold Scwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone. Those were the movie 'heroes' to be emulated. Those are the movies kids loved to go see.

I think there was more emphasis on physical strength and it was something that was propagated by Hollywood to a decent extent. Not that they don't have bad asses in movies today, it just gets drowned out by all the SJW manlets and 'tough' girls in the other competing movies and forms of entertainment.

Hell, even the Presidents then were tough guys. Reagan swung an axe, chopped wood, rode horses and and shot pistols with the secret service at his California Ranch. All this after being shot a few months into his presidency.

I don't know if Obama could pick up an axe, much less effectively chop wood with one.

Today, I'm not sure who young guys, in general, look up to as movie stars or so called "idols" but I don't think it's weight lifting strong men like Arnie and Sly.

Granted, there may be more construction type jobs but not as many younger guys are going into it. The trade I'm in has a decent amount of guys joining up, but it's a mix of guys, and most of which realized college wasn't for them and dropped out.

Now back in the 70s and 80s, most guys did side work with their hands, gotta fix your lawnmower? You did it yourself. Car broke down? Pop the hood let's take a look. Plumbing needs repair? Grab the wrenches. Etc... Guys today don't really do that stuff anymore. They will take their car and lawnmower in for repair. For bad plumbing they'll call a plumber. Hell about any home repair they will call someone.

Now to add on to redbeard, I've noticed a lot of younger guys not only wearing wrist straps but gloves too. Maybe it's just me, but I hate seeing guys wearing gloves, especially if these guys aren't using heavy weights or doing snatches. I love the feeling of the metal digging into my hands. I like when my hands have blisters and look all chewed up, it doesn't happen often, but I take pride after that lift when it does.

I've asked some of my friends and co-workers (we work our hands) about this and they all buy into the girls like soft manicured bullshit. I can't stand the idea of getting a manicure. I've met some girls that don't mind my hands, and others that really enjoy that they are rough and strong.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Sherman - 08-16-2016

I have never seen anyone today as powerful as my Uncle was when I was growing up. He grew up on a farm and told me that he became strong working a horse drawn plow all day long.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - spokepoker - 08-16-2016

What are wrist wraps?

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - SamuelBRoberts - 08-16-2016

Little straps you put on your wrist that keep the tension of the weights from going on the wrist tendons. Some people need 'em, some don't.
I didn't use mine as often as I should and now I seriously regret it.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Saweeep - 08-16-2016

Having an ideological dislike for wrist straps in the gym is illogical.

When I'm working my back or traps, I'm working my back or traps. Limiting my weight because I'm "a real man" makes no sense to me.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Saweeep - 08-16-2016

But back to the case in point, my grandmother, at the age of 89 could generate more torque with her wrists than I could as a 21 year old man.

She put it down to a lifetime of housework. It was amazing to watch.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - budoslavic - 08-17-2016

My late father's reaction would be this:

[Image: clint_ew.gif]

Pure silent...shaking his head in disgust at men who are weak.

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - CynicalContrarian - 08-17-2016

Society. It's got xenoeostrogens.
It's got what limp-wristed fops crave.

Ironic.
Girls are fatter than ever before.
Men are weaker than ever before.

Who will be there to carry the fat frumps over the threshold if married?

Do you even lift bro... do you even lift...

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - N°6 - 08-17-2016

Quote: (08-17-2016 12:11 AM)CynicalContrarian Wrote:  

Society. It's got xenoeostrogens.
It's got what limp-wristed fops crave.

Ironic.
Girls are fatter than ever before.
Men are weaker than ever before.

Who will be there to carry the fat frumps over the threshold if married?

Do you even lift bro... do you even lift...

Debt-based capitalism strips men and women of the very things that their ancestors had to attract mates with. It also gives them attributes that the opposite sex is repulsed by.

Men
Physical weakness
Lower sperm counts
Poorer
Irresponsible

Women
Fatter
Older wives
Insatiable consumerists
Unborn baby killers and marriage oath breakers

Study shows men are weaker today than they were 30 years ago - Only One Man - 08-17-2016

Wrist wraps should only be used after grip strength is compromised or if you're doing a heavy lift where your grip will fail way before you will fail the lift. Using wrist wraps all the time is gonna prevent you from getting your grip strength up to manly levels.

Also, anyone who wears lifting gloves, aside from some weird extenuating circumstances or injury, is a fucking faggot.