Roosh V Forum
Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings (/thread-51928.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Roosh - 11-25-2015

So I'm getting complaints that ROK has aggressive popups that either can't be closed or lead to an app store. I checked with my advertisers and it's definitely not coming from them, and the site's code is clean (i.e. not hacked), so it looks like the problem is malware that gets displayed when you hit certain sites. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? The site does have one pop-up, but it's only one window and can be closed without leading you to a download page.

Similar events seem to be common on Apple devices:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/664...5&tstart=0

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/congratulat...m-removal/

http://igopedia.com/how-to/remove-congra...hone-ipad/

Also here's an example when it happens after someone visits the Spotify.com web page (not the app):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-De...-p/1242555

I actually saw the popup once on my Android device, leading me to a suspicious domain called adperformancenetwork.com.

If this happens to you, take a screenshot and post it here. I have a feeling this may need some time to troubleshoot.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Handsome Creepy Eel - 11-25-2015

I've used to blame RvF for that "adperformancenetwork.com" popup before, but since then, repeated experiences have led me to conclude that it only happens at my parents' house, as if their WiFi has been infested with something that adds it to every action performed. I never get it at my own home, on a phone and so on.
It only persists while at their house (in regards to multiple websites, not just RvF with which it starts), no matter my antivirus scans, firewalls, browsers or anything else.

Either way, installing the uBlock extension blocks it successfully.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Snowplow - 11-25-2015

Yeah, I brought this up before. It takes me to a couple ad sites from which I can't even hit the back button.

Will screenshot in the future.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - DaveR - 11-25-2015

It could be due to an infected router, in which case turning on SSL/TLS (even CloudFlare's 1-click SSL) would prevent the ad/malware networks from inserting their ads.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Roosh - 11-25-2015

Quote:Quote:

It could be due to an infected router,

Interesting. The pop-up I saw on my phone happened at a public wifi spot.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - GlobalMan - 11-25-2015

Im on a mac, and the only way I can avoid this happening is using Adblock, which I'd prefer not to use on ROK or other sites I support. As Roosh said, I think it's Adware that seems to 'activate' on certain sites.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - The Beast1 - 11-25-2015

I'd suggest dumping your browser caches. You'd be surprised what nasty junk collects in there.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Malo - 11-26-2015

If it's malware on client devices (which it seems to be), there is nothing the site owner (e.g. ROK) can do about it.

You're just unlucky that they included your site in their list (although their list is probably the top 100k alexa or something similar, so it's likely simply because the site is popular).

People should keep their machines clean to avoid malware. 99.9% of malware will not infect any of your devices if you use common sense (you don't even need an antivirus).

Mainly don't download crap.

Often overlooked: Don't plug your mobile devices into public or untrusted computers (the virus replicates into your mobile device and auto executes once you plug it into your computer, unless you disable autorun on that computer).

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Gmac - 11-26-2015

Quote: (11-25-2015 05:29 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

I'd suggest dumping your browser caches. You'd be surprised what nasty junk collects in there.

Seconded. I do this once every 1-2 days, worth it.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Tuthmosis - 11-27-2015

I'm starting to think that using a rented modem from your cable company somehow releases your "advertising ID" through them and leads to extra shit like this. I'm no network admin or coding expert, but I've been noticing strange patterns like this for some time--on multiple sites and scenarios--when I've been obligated to do so (stationary, not traveling).

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Wrec - 11-27-2015

Looks like good old DNSChanger or some alternative.
More info here
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/h...ur-router/
Having your router configured with username root and password root is really bad idea.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Killer Joe - 11-27-2015

I haven't have any problems with popups on Return of Kings, to be honest.

The only thing that annoys me is the clickbait crap on the right column and above the comments.

[Image: cSl8u5x.png]

How is this thematically relevant or interesting to RoK's target audience? Do RoK's articles get promoted on those websites in exchange?

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - roberto - 11-28-2015

Quote: (11-25-2015 05:11 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

Im on a mac, and the only way I can avoid this happening is using Adblock, which I'd prefer not to use on ROK or other sites I support. As Roosh said, I think it's Adware that seems to 'activate' on certain sites.

Turn adblock on and use the tip jar.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - SunW - 11-28-2015

Quote: (11-25-2015 05:00 PM)DaveR Wrote:  

It could be due to an infected router, in which case turning on SSL/TLS (even CloudFlare's 1-click SSL) would prevent the ad/malware networks from inserting their ads.

Let's say a router is infected: anyway to prevent its infection from hitting a computer using it? This is a fear of mine because I use public routers frequently and I don't want them affecting my computer.

Thanks.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Gmac - 11-28-2015

How did Guatemala get so advanced in medicine?

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Killer Joe - 11-28-2015

Quote: (11-28-2015 09:55 AM)Gmac Wrote:  

Clickbait has revolutionized the world with cutting-edge medical procedures, weigh-loss methods, quick hacks and low-effort income sources. All of this is 100% legit and definitely NOT bullshit.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Handsome Creepy Eel - 11-28-2015

Quote: (11-28-2015 09:55 AM)Gmac Wrote:  

It could be any country, it's just an IP locator or another marketing database. In this case, it means Killer Joe is either Guatemalan or is currently in Guatemala. Thus, he gets served spam ads "Guatemala #1 trick to fight Diabetes", while I get "Croatia #1 trick to fight Diabetes".

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Killer Joe - 11-28-2015

Precisely. I was going to explain this before going on my clickbait raint.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - DaveR - 11-29-2015

Quote: (11-28-2015 09:43 AM)SunW Wrote:  

Quote: (11-25-2015 05:00 PM)DaveR Wrote:  

Let's say a router is infected: anyway to prevent its infection from hitting a computer using it? This is a fear of mine because I use public routers frequently and I don't want them affecting my computer.

Thanks.

There are a few things you can do to increase your security:

1. use a firewall
For Mac: System Preferences > Security > Firewall tab > Firewall Options > block all incoming connections

For Windows: ZoneAlarm is a good one and is free: http://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-f...index.html

2. use a VPN in the following situations:
- when using a shared network (hotels and public wifi)
- when downloading copyrighted material, especially torrents if you're in the US
- when in a country that filters and/or monitors the internet. Eg. Dubai, China

VPNs are secure tunnels which all of your internet connections are forwarded through. Anyone between you and the other end of the VPN cannot alter or intercept/monitor your connections.
https://proxy.sh is what I use but it's expensive. https://airvpn.org is another one I think is worth trying.

3. uninstall Adobe Flash: http://bgr.com/2015/07/27/how-to-uninsta...ac-chrome/
It isn't necessary any more because just about every website has upgraded to more modern and secure technology.

4. Install software updates as frequently as possible (Windows, Chrome, Firefox, Skype, etc.). This should be easy these days because most software updates itself automatically.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - NilNisiOptimum - 11-29-2015

I've been getting the popups on cellular LTE signal on my phone in addition to wifi.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - budoslavic - 12-06-2015

Quote: (11-25-2015 03:42 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

So I'm getting complaints that ROK has aggressive popups that either can't be closed or lead to an app store. I checked with my advertisers and it's definitely not coming from them, and the site's code is clean (i.e. not hacked), so it looks like the problem is malware that gets displayed when you hit certain sites.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? The site does have one pop-up, but it's only one window and can be closed without leading you to a download page.

If my hunch is right, this definitely sounds like a malware and/or adware issue. What you just described happened to my brother-in-law's laptops last year. His computers were insanely infected with annoying adwares (all related to shopping for computers) every time he tried to use his browser (IE, Firefox or Google Chrome).

My only suggestion is to use a bunch of software utilities to detect for any malware and/or adware files that may have infected your machine.

Follow the instructions below to troubleshoot the issue that you mentioned.

Note: This is mainly for Windows 7 (or any other Windows OS) users. (I am a Linux user - Debian & OpenSUSE.) The instructions below will take up a lot of your time, but it is worth the learning experience because you will be surprised at whatever malware and/or adware files are lurking on your machine.

1. Download the following software programs. Do not install them yet. Just download them first. 2. To uninstall the programs that are responsible for the adware(s) from your Windows 7 computer, click Start > select Control Panel > click on Uninstall a Program.

If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search > enter “control panel“ > select Uninstall a program.

3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs. This is very important. You need to pay attention by scrolling down through the entire list of programs to see what is installed on your computer. If you see an unwanted and unrecognized program, Google the name of the program. If it is an adware or malware, uninstall it. Repeat each time you come across an unwanted program.

4. Next step is to go through each of your browser.
/* ------------------------------------------------------------------------- */
Internet Explorer
1. Open IE > click on the gear icon at the top (far right) > click on Internet Options.
2. Click on Advanced tab > click on the Reset button.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, check the Delete personal settings box, then click on Reset.
4. When IE finishes resetting, click Close > OK.
5. Close IE browser.
Firefox
1. Open Firefox. If you don't have Menu Bar showing in your Firefox browser, place your mouse cursor above the address bar and right click to select Menu Bar.
2. From the Menu Bar, click on Help menu > select Troubleshooting Information.
3. Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
4. To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
5. Firefox will close and will be reset. When it is done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish, then exit Firefox to close the browser.
Google Chrome
1. If an adware extension is installed in Google Chrome, it will need to be removed.
2. Click the Chrome menu button in the top right corner of the browser toolbar. Select Tools > Extensions.
3. In the Extensions tab, remove (by click on the Recycle Bin) the unwanted adware and any other unknown extensions from Google Chrome. Basically, if you have not installed an extensions, you should remove it from your web browser.
5. Now make sure all of your programs and browsers are closed. Go to your Downloads folder where you had just downloaded a bunch of software programs I mentioned at the very first step.

6. Double-click the AdwCleaner program first to run. When the AdwCleaner opens, click on the Scan button.

7. Once AdwCleaner finished scanning for any malicious files that were detected, click on the Clean button. You may need to reboot the computer after your click on the OK button.

8. After your computer has rebooted, next program to run is Junkware Removal Tool (JRT). Double-click the JRT.exe (icon) file to run it.

9. JRT will open up a Command Prompt window. You will need to press any key to perform a scan to detect any malicious files on your computer. Please be patient as this can take a while to complete (up to about 10 minutes).

10. When JRT is completed, it will display a log with a list of malicious files and registry keys that were removed from your computer.

11. Next program to run is MalwareBytes (MB) Anti-Malware software. Double-click on it to install the program on your computer. (Make sure to uncheck the "Enable free trial of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware PRO" before installing. Stick with the Free program.)

12. Once it's installed, fire up the MB Anti-Malware program. Under the Scanner tab, select Perform full scan > click on Scan button to start scanning your computer. It will scan your entire computer for any malicious files. Again, this will take a while.

13. When the scan is completed, click on Show Results button where you will be presented with a screen showing you the list of malware infections that have been detected. Make sure everything is Checked (ticked) and click on Remove Selected button.

14. After the MB Anti-Malware has finished removing all of the malicious files from your computer, reboot your machine again.

15. Last program to run is HitMan Pro. What this does is detect and remove any rootkit file(s) on your computer.

16. Double-click HitMan Pro. It will start and you will need to follow the prompts (by clicking the Next button) to start a system scan. Under the Setup dialog, uncheck "Automatically scan the computer daily during startup" as you will only be using this program once.

17. HitMan Pro will start scanning your computer for any malicious files. Once it is done, you will see a list of infected files that the program has detected. Click on Next to remove the malicious files.

18. Click on "Activate Free License" (only valid for 30 days). When the program has finished removing the malicious files, you can uninstall HitMan Pro from your computer so it's up to you.

19. Reboot your machine. Test all of your browsers to see if the malwares, adwares or any of the other crap are gone or not.

Good luck!

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - tynamite - 12-06-2015

If a virus scan would detect anything, your anti-virus's realtime detection would have detected it before it had a chance to infect your system. If the malware or virus uses a rootkit, then it cannot be detected by the file manager, task manager, anti-virus scans or startup lists. The best thing to do is to run HijackThis, lookup strange entries, and delete the files and registry keys that are foreign or come up as a virus when searched in google. It lets you delete files on a restart, so you can delete folders Windows doesn't let you delete.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - OculusDexter - 04-20-2016

I am experiencing a weird and frustrating issue with RoK. When I visit it from my cell phone on att, it gets redirected through these ad tracking links to the following address.

http://kgj9s.redirectvoluum.com/redirect...bid.......

I've removed the subsequent tracking codes for privacy.

If I visit from other networks, this doesn't happen. Just att mobile. What the heck is going on here? Does att have their dns info or some sort of caching screwed up or something?

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Sumanguru - 04-20-2016

This exact same problem has been happening to me.

I don't get the re-direct when I visit RoK using my PC. Only on my phone.

Aggressive popups on Return Of Kings - Saweeep - 04-20-2016

The photos never work and the formatting is all over the place when I try to read the articles via RVF.