Roosh V Forum
Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Travel (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Flaghunter’s trip of Africa (/thread-49866.html)

Pages: 1 2

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - flaghunter - 08-17-2015

As a man who has been chasing flags all over the world for the past 6 years, in 3 weeks I’m going with a friend to the only main continent I haven’t visited, Africa.

We are not the type of travellers who will be content with just sight seeing and safaris, we need to be getting laid, partying and hopefully getting new flags to enjoy ourselves. No “don’t go to Africa then” responses please.

My daygame in a city is not great, but daygame on a beach or a tourist area where people are in no rush to get anywhere is excellent. I’m also much happier when I’m in a sunny beach than a bustling city.

Anyway if any forum members can pip up with ideas of places we can visit or how to approach in some of the countries it would be great. We will fly into Zanzibar, then head to Lake of Stars festival next to the Lake of Malawi and spend about a week here. After this our very rough plan is Zimbabwe, Botswana Namibia and finish in South Africa in December. Although not booked yet, we plan to fly from Johannesburg to Phuket for about $450, as budget (and CPN!) is something we have to factor into the trip.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help!

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - rottenapple - 08-17-2015

One tactic that worked great for me in Africa in nightlife was to show up. You go to a bar, enter it, take a drink and wait a while (not always), then take your pick and go home. If preferred you can first hang around a bit, laugh with some friends or get drunk.

Very effective strategy. African game 101.

No thanks required.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Bad Hussar - 08-17-2015

South Africa is at it's best from around one week before Christmas to the first week of January.

Anybody who can possibly be off work is off work.
Weather is nice.
People are happy.
Parties throughout the period.
Maybe avoid Joburg around this time. Anyone with money will be on holiday. Probably on the coast....
So, accommodation very expensive unfortunately. Anything nice along the coast will not be remotely close to budget at this time.

If this is a budget trip maybe consider renting a car, buying a tent, and camping on the Garden Route during this time. Plettenberg Bay is very nice. Amazing beaches. Lot's of rich families with holiday houses throwing parties.

[Image: 9661-4.jpg]

Probably won't work, with your trip to the Lake of Stars Festival, but one way to get from Dar Es Salaam to Lusaka is via a train that must be a great journey. At least visually. The service is unreliable, but you're likely in no hurry:

http://www.seat61.com/Zambia.htm#Tazara

If you do travel on it post some info here.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Akwesi - 08-17-2015

You won't have any problems getting notches and flags in sub-Saharan Africa, but I'm not sure your itinerary is ideal. Zanzibar does not exactly have a reputation of being a poosy paradise. Botswana has about the highest HIV prevalence in the world and Malawi, Zimbabwe, and especially South Africa are also really high on the list. Granted, the risk of transmitting HIV through vaginal sex with a condom is low, but the fact that a majority or very large minority of slutty girls in these countries have HIV should give pause. Forum members in South Africa can advise you on how to deal with this, but it might also be worth considering simply going to parts of Africa where this is much less of a problem.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Cr33pin - 08-17-2015

I highly recommend not killing and lions and posting selfies with the bodies

Zanzibar has extremely ugly girls. It is known as the place for fat white women to go score a rasta guy on the beach. Don't go there for girls. Ethiopia and Uganda, thats more interesting. Uganda for the easiness to score and Ethiopia for the quality. South Africa and nearby countries are shit also for girls since aids percentages go until 30%. For adventure tourism they are great though if you are into that. Also whatever Zanzibar has Mozambique has as well, except cheaper and closer to the other countries you plan on visiting. There's even trains between Jo'burg and Maputo.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - ElJefe1 - 08-17-2015

I sure hope you post a detailed data report, I plan on hitting Africa next year or late this year there's not a whole lot on here about Africa.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Satoshi - 08-17-2015

Will be interesting to follow this thread. I'm also hoping to do an Africa trip, if everything goes as planned I will go winter 2016/2017. I'm looking at going from Ethiopia to South Africa. Crossing Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia at least. And perhaps also include Uganda, Rwanda, Malawi, Burundi, Botswana and Mozambique. I'm not really interested in beaches, cities excites me more.

If you make some photos during your trip it would be cool if you'd upload them here.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Jaydublin - 08-17-2015

Quote: (08-17-2015 07:45 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

I highly recommend not killing and lions and posting selfies with the bodies

Nor a Triceratops.

[Image: 1405198691000-1405148271000-140511129500...ratops.png]

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Jaydublin - 08-17-2015

Can anybody speak on Kenya.... I have met some incredibly sexy girls from Kenya. I also met a white dude either from Kenya or Nigeria and he said that while he was not really into black girls, there were some pretty sexy ones in his country and they were incredibly easy for him.

Here's some reading material to get you started (first 50 pages of the travel forum). We still have quite a few blind spots in Africa, but there's some good info as well around.

Nairobi, Kenya:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-49490.html

Kigali, Rwanda:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-34808.html

Capetown, SA:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-37150.html

Accra, Ghana:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-44909.html

Kampala, Uganda:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-45800.html

East Africa info:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-47093.html

Ethiopia:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-39.html

Entebbe/Kampala, Uganda
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-44091.html

Addis Abebba, Ethiopia:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-43871.html

Togo, Africa
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-41583.html

Algeria:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-37868.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-41054.html

South Africa & Botswana:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-36940.html

Africa general:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-23080.html

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Chaos - 08-18-2015

I'm getting excited everytime a new Africa thread is popping up.
Never been there but something is pulling me. Feels like the final frontier.

Having a hard time deciding if I should pick Latin America or Africa next.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Bad Hussar - 08-18-2015

Quote: (08-18-2015 09:41 AM)Chaos Wrote:  

Very corny, but here's a video to help you out:

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - rottenapple - 08-18-2015

Quote: (08-18-2015 09:41 AM)Chaos Wrote:  

Chaos, having lived in both, let me tell you about the differences.

L. America has the hotter women, is easier to navigate, has more diversity in food and has a more advanced/distinct culture. The culture has more depth and although different from western culture, in some ways advanced as well. Native amazon tribes for instance have a lot to learn from. For living I would choose L.America (mostly because damn latinas are great).

But Africa, Africa is magic, the people are extremely friendly, open and fun loving. The girls are easy, the nature is exceptional and adventure is to be found everywhere. The poverty makes for some interesting experiences, Africa will change how you think in some way. You will see places completely unknown, that have such a sheer beauty you wonder why no one is doing something with these places. You will meet some of the best people, people who have no double faces and just live simple and honest lives. A long term vacation in Africa is ideal. In the best places, which are the rural ones, you will get bored after a while because of lack of options. The cities have options, but poverty, criminality, traffic, etc. would not make you want to stay for more than a year. Hence just travelling around, exploring sights, different cultures, checking nightlife in the big cities and then heading to the beach/mountains for some hiking etc. all while not paying a lot, would be ideal in my opinion. Don't take a short Africa trip though, you need time for this wonderful continent.

Overall you have to visit both off course. Living there has changed life completely for me. It made a return to western world for more than a short period almost impossible. At old age I can definitely see myself settling in Africa instead of being forced in a home in western world.

Besides all this, both also have great economical potential. I think for a young man with ideas, either one of them is a much better place to start making money than in the North.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Chaos - 08-18-2015

^ Thanks man. Solid advice.

I will for sure explore both before I'm done in this world.

I'm seeing a new long trip in the horizon. Former Soviet Union and South East Asia is as always very tempting. Loving it there and I know what I'm getting.

But I think the time has come for something entirely new.
Which to me would be Latin America or Africa.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Spike - 08-18-2015

I still need to visit Africa. Its the only continent I haven't been (not counting the poles). I have a friend who went through about 20 countries but he went with a big bus with about 10 other tourists and of course a driver/guide.

How safe is it for a guy alone? Those who read my book know I'm not easily scared but somehow when I think of Africa, all I see are raging guys with AK-47's on the back of a pick up truck [Image: sad.gif]

I have an 2000 euro budget (ex flight) for 4 weeks. So that's 500 euro a week (550$). Is this enough for a simple room, some night life and sightseeing?

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - rottenapple - 08-18-2015

Quote: (08-18-2015 04:15 PM)Spike Wrote:  

I still need to visit Africa. Its the only continent I haven't been (not counting the poles). I have a friend who went through about 20 countries but he went with a big bus with about 10 other tourists and of course a driver/guide.

How safe is it for a guy alone? Those who read my book know I'm not easily scared but somehow when I think of Africa, all I see are raging guys with AK-47's on the back of a pick up truck [Image: sad.gif]

I have an 2000 euro budget (ex flight) for 4 weeks. So that's 500 euro a week (550$). Is this enough for a simple room, some night life and sightseeing?

Africa is safer than you think. It's pretty straightforward; for a first time, there's some countries you need to avoid: Somalia, East Congo, South Sudan, Eritrea, parts of Nigeria, Mali, ... and in some big cities you should take extra care when going out at night, especially for car jacking: Dar es salaam, Nairobi, Jo'burg, ...

Besides that some countries are very safe and you should not worry at all, fi Rwanda and Ethiopia (except for Afar area), many countries are very touristy and hence if you stay on those paths you won't have to worry either: Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Morocco, South Africa, Namibia, ...

Militias in Africa are not a big problem by the way. Contrary to the middle east, as a white westerner, you are not a target. You can walk up to the militias in Goma, DRC and they will be happy to see you and to be able to share their struggle with a white man. What's most likely to happen is that someone will pick pocket/steals your shit on a bus or you get ripped of with foreign currency, nothing more. I think overal, besides the aforementioned countries, Africa is probably safer than L.America.

Regarding your budget, it's very low. Busrides and food you can get for cheap (be prepared to shit your brains out and do a nice worm cleanse when you get back), hotels are more difficult since they cater towards foreigners and hence have inflated prices. Not everywhere but also remember that hostels are not as common. Instead of your 10$ hostel option in eastern europe you will have your 20$ budget hotel here. Entry in clubs will be very cheap, drinks already a bit more expensive since anything of quality is imported. With your budget you'll be drinking the cheap fake Gin/whisky etc. The biggest problem with your plan however is sightseeing. You forgot about one thing. Africans give absolutely no fuck for their nature or animal sight seeing. Thus, they know they are only catering to foreigners and it is the ideal way to differentiate in pricing, fill the state bank with some muzungu/faranj money.

For example: a gorilla sightseeing permit in Rwanda is 500-600$ for a foreigner, 20$ for a local. The locals still wont go.

Other example: sunscreen, expensive in Africa. Why? No african will use it so let's make it very expensive for the rich white men who exploit us and now want to come see our animals.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Akwesi - 08-18-2015

That's a realistic budget. International flights and multiple visas will drive up costs a lot, so it would be easier to keep within budget if you limit yourself to one or two countries. Accommodation is relatively expensive, food and drinks are dirt cheap if you don't mind the local fare and don't spend too much time in high-end clubs.

There are certainly many dangerous places in Africa, but most of the locations that have been discussed at some length in this forum seem to be fairly safe, as far as I can tell (Ghana, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Rwanda... as long as you don't go to the extreme shitholes like DRC, CAR, Mali, etc. you should be able to get away with just taking normal precautions).

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Bad Hussar - 08-19-2015

Going with a friend will help in that you can keep an eye on each others stuff. Theft will likely be your biggest problems.

With that budget and time you could consider spending most of your time in South Africa, with a side "safari" to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and a bit of Botswana. South Africa isn't necessarily the best African country to travel to. The discrepancy in income causes a type of tension not as prevalent elsewhere. But, ironically, it IS probably the best Africa country for anyone who has a limited budget and wants to do things independently. It's a lot more developed which means it's much easier to get around.

Maybe rent a small car for 3 weeks and travel around the country. If you can drive a manual transmission (stick), which frankly everybody should be able to..., you'll save a packet of money. Otherwise there are planes, trains and buses that can get you around. But then you still need to keep getting Uber's or other taxis to your final destinations so you may end up paying as much as the car rental option anyway. Also, you're then stuck where you're staying. Safe public transport is thin on the ground. You generally can't take SA rental cars out the country though. Even to Namibia. Well, you can, but the effort and cost is probably not worth it.

I'd either stay in permanent accommodation at Backpackers lodges, or buy a cheap tent and pitch it in their grounds. Most of the non-city backpackers allow this. Locals will often hang out at a Backpackers bar, so you'll also meet some locals this way. National Parks also have very good camping, but for a single guy backpackers will be infinitely more social places. SA is also the kind of place that attracts a fair number of "single white female" budget travelers. Basically for the reasons I've mentioned. It is the easy option for people who want to visit Africa. So you're not likely to find yourself in a sausage fest.

In SA places not to miss are Cape Town, Garden Route and Kruger National Park. Though it is an incredibly diverse country, really in all respects, so you could spend a year and still not see everything. If Namibia appeals to you, but you rent a car and don't want to deal with the hassle and cost of getting approvals from the rental company look into the Kgalagadi National Park. It's in South Africa, but on the border with Namibia and Botswana. Amazing place. Semi dessert that nevertheless somehow supports many of the African megafauna.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Spike - 08-19-2015

Quote: (08-18-2015 04:54 PM)rottenapple Wrote:  

Africa is safer than you think. It's pretty straightforward; for a first time, there's some countries you need to avoid: Somalia, East Congo, South Sudan, Eritrea, parts of Nigeria, Mali, ... and in some big cities you should take extra care when going out at night, especially for car jacking: Dar es salaam, Nairobi, Jo'burg, ...

Besides that some countries are very safe and you should not worry at all, fi Rwanda and Ethiopia (except for Afar area), many countries are very touristy and hence if you stay on those paths you won't have to worry either: Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Morocco, South Africa, Namibia, ...

Militias in Africa are not a big problem by the way. Contrary to the middle east, as a white westerner, you are not a target. You can walk up to the militias in Goma, DRC and they will be happy to see you and to be able to share their struggle with a white man. What's most likely to happen is that someone will pick pocket/steals your shit on a bus or you get ripped of with foreign currency, nothing more. I think overal, besides the aforementioned countries, Africa is probably safer than L.America.

Regarding your budget, it's very low. Busrides and food you can get for cheap (be prepared to shit your brains out and do a nice worm cleanse when you get back), hotels are more difficult since they cater towards foreigners and hence have inflated prices. Not everywhere but also remember that hostels are not as common. Instead of your 10$ hostel option in eastern europe you will have your 20$ budget hotel here. Entry in clubs will be very cheap, drinks already a bit more expensive since anything of quality is imported. With your budget you'll be drinking the cheap fake Gin/whisky etc. The biggest problem with your plan however is sightseeing. You forgot about one thing. Africans give absolutely no fuck for their nature or animal sight seeing. Thus, they know they are only catering to foreigners and it is the ideal way to differentiate in pricing, fill the state bank with some muzungu/faranj money.

For example: a gorilla sightseeing permit in Rwanda is 500-600$ for a foreigner, 20$ for a local. The locals still wont go.

Other example: sunscreen, expensive in Africa. Why? No african will use it so let's make it very expensive for the rich white men who exploit us and now want to come see our animals.

Thanks for the advice.

Well, a 20$ budget room would be ok for me. I've slept in utter hellhotels around the world so Africa wouldn't be a problem then. I try to keep my accommodation costs under 30 Euro (33$) a night. I think spending a grand a month for accommodation is more than enough. It's a huge bite out of my budget and having 1000 euro left for everything else like food, transport, sightseeing and going out doesn't seem much. I could perhaps add 300/400/500 to the budget but that would be the max I want to spend for just four weeks.

I usually don't drink booze so no need for cheap whiskey. I'll just stick to beer and wine.

A return flight to South Africa is about 550 euro so that's doable. It is however a pretty standard holiday location.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Spike - 08-19-2015

Quote: (08-19-2015 10:17 AM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

Going with a friend will help in that you can keep an eye on each others stuff. Theft will likely be your biggest problems.

With that budget and time you could consider spending most of your time in South Africa, with a side "safari" to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and a bit of Botswana. South Africa isn't necessarily the best African country to travel to. The discrepancy in income causes a type of tension not as prevalent elsewhere. But, ironically, it IS probably the best Africa country for anyone who has a limited budget and wants to do things independently. It's a lot more developed which means it's much easier to get around.

Maybe rent a small car for 3 weeks and travel around the country. If you can drive a manual transmission (stick), which frankly everybody should be able to..., you'll save a packet of money. Otherwise there are planes, trains and buses that can get you around. But then you still need to keep getting Uber's or other taxis to your final destinations so you may end up paying as much as the car rental option anyway. Also, you're then stuck where you're staying. Safe public transport is thin on the ground. You generally can't take SA rental cars out the country though. Even to Namibia. Well, you can, but the effort and cost is probably not worth it.

I'd either stay in permanent accommodation at Backpackers lodges, or buy a cheap tent and pitch it in their grounds. Most of the non-city backpackers allow this. Locals will often hang out at a Backpackers bar, so you'll also meet some locals this way. National Parks also have very good camping, but for a single guy backpackers will be infinitely more social places. SA is also the kind of place that attracts a fair number of "single white female" budget travelers. Basically for the reasons I've mentioned. It is the easy option for people who want to visit Africa. So you're not likely to find yourself in a sausage fest.

In SA places not to miss are Cape Town, Garden Route and Kruger National Park. Though it is an incredibly diverse country, really in all respects, so you could spend a year and still not see everything. If Namibia appeals to you, but you rent a car and don't want to deal with the hassle and cost of getting approvals from the rental company look into the Kgalagadi National Park. It's in South Africa, but on the border with Namibia and Botswana. Amazing place. Semi dessert that nevertheless somehow supports many of the African megafauna.

I will be traveling alone and although I have said that i won't use the ole backpack anymore I might use it again. "Look poor, don't get robbed" I always say. But not so poor that I need a tent hahaha

I can of course drive stick, here in Europe no ones drives automatic shift. I will have to look into South Africa.

Thanks for the tips.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Bad Hussar - 08-19-2015

Quote: (08-19-2015 11:27 AM)Spike Wrote:  

I will be traveling alone and although I have said that i won't use the ole backpack anymore I might use it again. "Look poor, don't get robbed" I always say. But not so poor that I need a tent hahaha

I can of course drive stick, here in Europe no ones drives automatic shift. I will have to look into South Africa.

Thanks for the tips.

No problem. If you do rent a car an actual backpack isn't even necessary. Normal luggage will do. I can't really emphasise it enough: A car gives you a kind of freedom to do stuff you won't be able to if relying o public transport.

Lot's of people camp. It's not a rich or poor thing. Especially in National Parks.

Have fun planning your trip.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - flaghunter - 08-19-2015

Thanks for the replies guys.
Rottenapple great post by yourself, I had actually read all of these before planning the trip out!
Any good pipeline (dating) sites?

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - flaghunter - 09-28-2015

Almost 3 weeks in now.
Ratios of white girls to white guys are great, much much more female than male volunteers although lots of them have boyfriends (or so they have told me!)
Having said that I've been concentrating on my flaghunting and havent smashed a white girl yet on the trip.

Zanzibar in Tanzania is beautiful, although parties are only good in Kendwa on Friday and Saturdays. Spent 9 days there, got a Kenya flag from Tinder and local flag from daytime beach game, Dar es Salaam for the weekend was very vibrant with lots of expats, got Zambia and Sri Lanka both from tinder there.
Just been to a music festival in Malawi, smashed a couple of local girls there. Apparently theres not much party spots in Malawi so getting out in a couple of days now.

My buddy has smashed a Norweigan, English, South African, Canadian and Malawian, 2 from tinder and 3 from drunken night game.

Heading to Zambia and Zimbabwe next so will keep you guys updated if anyone wants.

Flaghunter’s trip of Africa - Belgrano - 09-28-2015

Quote: (09-28-2015 03:18 PM)flaghunter Wrote:  

Heading to Zambia and Zimbabwe next so will keep you guys updated if anyone wants.

Always great to get on the ground info from Africa, sounds fantastic so far!
Didn´t expect that tinder works so well over there.
[Image: thumb.gif]

Maybe you´ll have time to write a more extensive trip report when you are home again, would be awesome and definitely appreciated by the forum.
We rarely get to read anything about Africa, it´s the last frontier of traveling and I´m sure I´m not the only one curious about going on a special kind of safari there. [Image: angel.gif]
Good luck on your next stops, and tell your buddy that he should sample some more of the local delicacies, gotta use the opportunity.