Roosh V Forum
Work in Ireland - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Work in Ireland (/thread-45564.html)

Pages: 1 2

Work in Ireland - Sollertis - 03-02-2015

Looking for your experiences and opinions on working and living in Ireland, because I´m thinking about moving to there for work.
I researched quit a lot, but I trust people here on this forum more than I do others on the internet.

My calculations bring me at the following numbers (euros per month) :

-500 rent (with roommate)
-100 electricity, water, garbage etc.
-100 transportation
-200 food
-30 cell phone
-50 Internet
-100 various expenses
Total expenses around 1100 – Pay for minimum wage 1800 = 700 leftover for spending

This is all approximation, but if I missed something or miscalculated feel free to say. All advices are welcomed.

Work in Ireland - Alpha_Romeo - 03-02-2015

Well, there's Dublin and then there's Ireland. This is especially true with regards to living expenses.

Quote: (03-02-2015 01:13 PM)Alpha_Romeo Wrote:  

Well, there's Dublin and then there's Ireland. This is especially true with regards to living expenses.

Hmmm...I didn´t find online such discrepancies about Dublin. Intersting.

I see that majority of people go to Dublin, Galway and Cork. I guess those cities are the biggest.

Work in Ireland - IrishmanSoFlo - 03-02-2015

Quote: (03-02-2015 01:19 PM)Sollertis Wrote:  

I see that majority of people go to Dublin, Galway and Cork. I guess those cities are the biggest.

Irish Ex-pat here ,now in Fort Lauderdale,left five years ago roughly,Dublin would be the most expensive depending on location,this article i came across when i was considering going back earlier this year: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style...-1.2079819
That said your estimated cost looks about right,the country is just coming out of re cession,tax system is likely severe still,in addition there are recent water charges and property taxes.Personally I can't see myself going back any time soon.

Quote: (03-02-2015 02:18 PM)IrishmanSoFlo Wrote:  

Quote: (03-02-2015 01:19 PM)Sollertis Wrote:  

Irish Ex-pat here ,now in Fort Lauderdale,left five years ago roughly,Dublin would be the most expensive depending on location,this article i came across when i was considering going back earlier this year: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style...-1.2079819
That said your estimated cost looks about right,the country is just coming out of re cession,tax system is likely severe still,in addition there are recent water charges and property taxes.Personally I can't see myself going back any time soon.

But isn´t F.Lauderdale more expensive? Right now min. wage in Ireland is 8.6 euros, while in the states is 7.2 dollars (I´m assuming the worst job scenario). Out of curiosity how much is your rent?

I´m taking this as comparison
http://www.numbeo.com/property-investmen...y2=Croatia

and by this the rent is a bitch, but the pay is 3 times bigger compared to any job I could find in my country.

Work in Ireland - samsamsam - 03-02-2015

OP,check out this thread http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-43057.html

I found a subreddit that people used to ask questions like this.

Hope it helps.

Work in Ireland - IrishmanSoFlo - 03-02-2015

But isn´t F.Lauderdale more expensive? Right now min. wage in Ireland is 8.6 euros, while in the states is 7.2 dollars (I´m assuming the worst job scenario). Out of curiosity how much is your rent?

I´m taking this as comparison
http://www.numbeo.com/property-investmen...y2=Croatia

and by this the rent is a bitch, but the pay is 3 times bigger compared to any job I could find in my country.
[/quote]

Swings and roundabouts,somethings are pricier others less so ,rent here is $825 for a very nice 1/1 which is around the 730 euro mark which is the rough price range for a studio/bedsit in Dublin with little in facilities.
For me it comes down to lifestyle,I had nothing tying to me to Ireland and came to Florida to see family,ended up moving away from their smaller town,and stayed where I am now for past 3 years.
It sounds like a good move for you all things considered,feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Thank you all for replies. This definitely helps in my decision.

Work in Ireland - SlickyBoy - 03-02-2015

You should avoid making decisions based on general stats like minimum wage and instead look at what your field pays - what is it you do or what to do?

Work in Ireland - Atlantic - 03-02-2015

What part of Ireland are you moving to and what are you planning on doing. If you work in IT, pharmaceutical or healthcare Ireland is maybe good but its competitive roght now and definetly not booming. Please give more details.

Quote: (03-02-2015 04:11 PM)SlickyBoy Wrote:  

You should avoid making decisions based on general stats like minimum wage and instead look at what your field pays - what is it you do or what to do?

Why not look at min. wage?

I am certified truck driver, can work with backhoe loader, worked in the army for 6 years (maybe it helps with some kind of security job), finished business collage in marketing management. I don´t really expect to find a job in my field in the beginning.

Quote: (03-02-2015 04:27 PM)Atlantic Wrote:  

What part of Ireland are you moving to and what are you planning on doing. If you work in IT, pharmaceutical or healthcare Ireland is maybe good but its competitive roght now and definetly not booming. Please give more details.

As far as I can tell most jobs wanted are in Galway, Cork and Dublin, so some of those three. I´m pretty much willing to work in any field. Compared to here everything looks better.

I also have saved money, if that matters, around 10K in euros. Single, but lots of people want to come, so I would most likely have another person to split the bills.

Work in Ireland - Atlantic - 03-02-2015

Dublin is probably your best option. Cork would be second.

It will be tough, Ireland is still recovering and jobs are scarce.

Quote: (03-02-2015 04:55 PM)Atlantic Wrote:  

Here on Balkans is sort of migration happening. Before majority went working in Germany and Austria, but all of a sudden everybody is going to Ireland. Like thousands. Everybody is talking how great and wonderful it is. Naturally I am doubtful of stories full of honey and milk so I figure to check that info with some honest people.
Thank you.

Work in Ireland - EarnStackEnjoy - 03-05-2015

Quote: (03-02-2015 04:46 PM)Sollertis Wrote:  

Quote: (03-02-2015 04:11 PM)SlickyBoy Wrote:  

Why not look at min. wage?

I am certified truck driver, can work with backhoe loader, worked in the army for 6 years (maybe it helps with some kind of security job), finished business collage in marketing management. I don´t really expect to find a job in my field in the beginning.

As far as I know, a lot of large companies (mostly IT) got their EMEA HQ based in Dublin. So if I were you, I would aim for a Sales/Business Development position there. It suits your background within marketing.

Work in Ireland - davyjose - 03-05-2015

Quote: (03-02-2015 04:55 PM)Atlantic Wrote:  

Depends man. Lots of tech work there at the moment, programming, network and systems admin, and the likes. Plenty of work in the startup scene, not to mention the big tech companies that are all headquartered in Dublin.

Outside of IT it's probably a wasteland alright, although I can't say for sure as it's not my area. Centainly wouldn't be heading to Ireland to find work in a trade, or anything to do with construction.

Work in Ireland - amity - 03-05-2015

Pharma is big too in Ireland. And good money as well.
Huge multinational sector in Ireland, particularly in IT and there's ongoing recruitment.
Public sector jobs often go to Irish natives, seems to be more of a 'who you know' culture there (unlike the private sector which takes on as many non-Irish as natives)
Wages are reasonably good, compared to much of Western Europe, but there's a lot of taxes and charges here in Ireland, which will take 50%-55% off your gross salary.
Quality of life can be quite good though, so long as you have some kind of social circle.
People say Ireland is friendly but they're talking about the countryside and small towns.
The cities are less so (perhaps Galway is an exception), but I've found some of the towns in the West very warm and friendly (Westport, Clifden, Sligo).
The fact that it's a small country has some great advantages, you're never very far from anywhere else in the country and the train/bus/road network has improved in recent times.

Work in Ireland - davyjose - 03-05-2015

Quote: (03-05-2015 10:25 AM)amity Wrote:  

Pharma is big too in Ireland. And good money as well.
Huge multinational sector in Ireland, particularly in IT and there's ongoing recruitment.
Public sector jobs often go to Irish natives, seems to be more of a 'who you know' culture there (unlike the private sector which takes on as many non-Irish as natives)
Wages are reasonably good, compared to much of Western Europe, but there's a lot of taxes and charges here in Ireland, which will take 50%-55% off your gross salary.
Quality of life can be quite good though, so long as you have some kind of social circle.
People say Ireland is friendly but they're talking about the countryside and small towns.
The cities are less so (perhaps Galway is an exception), but I've found some of the towns in the West very warm and friendly (Westport, Clifden, Sligo).
The fact that it's a small country has some great advantages, you're never very far from anywhere else in the country and the train/bus/road network has improved in recent times.

People back at home bitch a lot about the country (I'm occasionally one of them I must admit), but when you get out there and see the world, you come to understand it's not a bad auld place after all.

I'm traveling for the next few years, possibly a long enough time, but one day I'll be back home to live (quite comfortably) in Ireland.

Work in Ireland - Truth Seeker - 03-06-2015

Quote: (03-05-2015 10:25 AM)amity Wrote:  

The marginal (higher) tax rate applies only to income earned over 33,800euro. Standard income tax on income earned below this amount is only 20%.

Source:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mon...lated.html

OP - before I give my two cents, I would like to know what you are looking for in a new city? Born and bred Dublin man here

Work in Ireland - amity - 03-06-2015

@Truth Seeker Good point, I forgot about that, as most people I know are on more than 33,800 per annum.
Low wage earners are looked after pretty well here, and social welfare handouts are some of the highest in Europe.
Which unfortunately makes us a magnet for welfare spongers!
On the flip side, if you lose your job in Ireland, and can't get another anytime soon, then you're in trouble, as there are no parachute payments like in some other European countries.
So if you're on say 55 grand a year, and lose your job, you will get the exact same amount per week as Joe Sponge, who possibly hasn't worked a day in his life.
There's a lot of good things about Ireland, but this is not one of them!

Work in Ireland - AngloHispanic - 03-05-2018

Bumping this old thread.

I am in an interview process for a semi-senior business development position within a major IT multinational, at their EMEA HQ in Dublin.

I was wondering if somebody who is familiar with the city could give me a reasonable salary range I could be expecting for a role of this type? I'm not based in Ireland or even Western Europe, so I have no reference point, and I haven't been told yet either (early stages).

How is Dublin for somebody with a young family (wife and 2 babies)? Recommended or best stay away unless millionaire?

Thanks!

Work in Ireland - zatara - 03-06-2018

Thats a bit of a vague description, but in very general in IT in Dublin:

25-35k entry level
35k-50k manager
45k-65k director level
65k+ senior management

Have a search on salaries section of glassdoor for similar roles at the company you have in mind, or for the same role at similar companies in Dublin:

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Salaries/index.htm

Work in Ireland - AngloHispanic - 03-06-2018

Quote: (03-06-2018 06:56 AM)zatara Wrote:  

Thats a bit of a vague description, but in very general in IT in Dublin:

25-35k entry level
35k-50k manager
45k-65k director level
65k+ senior management

Have a search on salaries section of glassdoor for similar roles at the company you have in mind, or for the same role at similar companies in Dublin:

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Salaries/index.htm

Cheers, Zatara.

I reckon I would fall within the "manager" range, probably towards the upper bounds of that. That seems quite low, taking into account how expensive rent, in particular, is.

From what I have researched, I think a salary of at least 60K would be necessary for a comfortable life with a family of four. Does that sound right to you?

Work in Ireland - zatara - 03-06-2018

That depends largely on your/your kids age, your lifestyle expectations and, most importantly, what your rent costs are. And also what your wife (if you have one) is earning. I'd firstly use:

https://www.pwc.ie/2018-budget-ireland/i...lator.html

To work out what your net income on a given salary would look like. Though bear in mind if your wife isn't working you'll pay significantly less tax, because you're able to use her tax credits(exemptions) as your own in addition to your own.

Then use this to have a look at the cost of some common items:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Dublin

And finally http://www.daft.ie/lettings/ to look at properties, see what the price of a place you'd be comfortable living in is going for.

If you're supporting a family of 4 by yourself 60k would be a reasonable minimum yeah. If your wife/other half is earning too though then you could lower that a bit - probably down to about 40k per adult if you're a young couple with small kids. But a lot higher if you're older, used to more luxury, and have to support the expenses of teenagers/college aged kids.

Work in Ireland - AngloHispanic - 03-06-2018

Quote: (03-06-2018 09:30 AM)zatara Wrote:  

That depends largely on your/your kids age, your lifestyle expectations and, most importantly, what your rent costs are. And also what your wife (if you have one) is earning. I'd firstly use:

https://www.pwc.ie/2018-budget-ireland/i...lator.html

To work out what your net income on a given salary would look like. Though bear in mind if your wife isn't working you'll pay significantly less tax, because you're able to use her tax credits(exemptions) as your own in addition to your own.

Then use this to have a look at the cost of some common items:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Dublin

And finally http://www.daft.ie/lettings/ to look at properties, see what the price of a place you'd be comfortable living in is going for.

If you're supporting a family of 4 by yourself 60k would be a reasonable minimum yeah. If your wife/other half is earning too though then you could lower that a bit - probably down to about 40k per adult if you're a young couple with small kids. But a lot higher if you're older, used to more luxury, and have to support the expenses of teenagers/college aged kids.

Fantastic, very useful info. Thanks!

Since I assume you live in Dublin or are familiar with the scene, I'd like to ask - how is the place in terms of "americanization"? Is it very politically correct or are people allowed to be normal/have common sense/live like actual Irish people?

I lived in London for many years, some years ago, and ended up leaving largely because I felt the place was like a madhouse in terms of people having to lie constantly and consistently about almost everything in order to avoid getting ambushed (by their own).

I'm wondering if Dublin is similar in that respect, or are people (much) less neurotic?

Appreciate this is a very subjective question, but curious nonetheless. I don't hear much about Ireland, either here or in real life, other than "beautiful countryside/lots of redheads/st.patricks" and similar tropes.

Work in Ireland - Steve McQueen - 03-06-2018

If you work for a large multinational you will need to be careful what you say. You will meet a lot of people that will use anything you say against you to further their careers over yours, be careful what you drink/say on work nights out.

If you are looking for like minded people join the social club at work, after a few nights out you will get to know who the dickheads are and who you can be more open with. Try and get to know those ones very well and they will introduce you to more of the same types of people.

In Ireland you can sit down in any pub and say what you like for the most part, conversation wise anything goes if there are no women around, women here tend to be fairly touchy so be careful around them.

You can open a conversation with anybody here and you will be well received, its not considered weird or strange like it would be in other locations so dont be afraid to go to your local pub by yourself to catch a football game, its normal for guys to do that especially if they have families and want a chance to get away and unwind.

Irish guys tend to be pretty sound for the most part, guess thats why we travel so well, our women on the other hand are a different story so again be careful what you say around them.