Roosh V Forum
Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Printable Version

+- Roosh V Forum (https://rooshvforum.network)
+-- Forum: Main (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Life (https://rooshvforum.network/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Alternatives to sneakers for young guys (/thread-44478.html)

Pages: 1 2

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - CactusCat589 - 01-24-2015

I'm kind of ashamed to say I've basically always worn sneakers, just because that's all I've known. I notice that some of the more stylish guys I see, like those studying finance, are wearing more respectable yet stylish kinds of shoes (while not being formal or business).

What are good alternative casual/semi-casual footwear options to sneakers?

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Moreless - 01-24-2015

I assume you are young. Start small. Get some converse or vans. They are cheap too.

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Drazen - 01-25-2015

Get sneakers with little to no design to them. Stan Smith Adidas are a good place to start. You can go from there to nicer stuff.
http://www.adidas.com/us/stan_smith

Other than that, its pretty unlimited. You can get street looking, worn-in dress shoes that look casual. Those are a good option. Or get some Cole Haan Lunagrands, they are on sale all the time (I usually get them for around $130 on Amazon). They aren't that high quality, but you can wear them like sneakers.

http://www.colehaan.com/mens-shoes-lunargrand

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - dads - 01-25-2015

Even though boat shoes are trending down due to their popularity and their consistent miswear, it's a decent place to start.

[Image: sperry-ao-colours-fall-200.jpg]

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Geomann180 - 01-25-2015

Quote: (01-25-2015 01:20 AM)dads Wrote:  

Even though boat shoes are trending down due to their popularity and their consistent miswear, it's a decent place to start.

[Image: sperry-ao-colours-fall-200.jpg]

Your moniker is apt.

G

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Pontifex Maximus - 01-25-2015

I've been wearing these K-Swiss classics. They're super comfortable and high-quality leather. Their factory is actually a bit from my apartment in California. They go for $80, super casual and classy. I've been to the office in them and got compliments from a cute blond I was gaming a work. The downside is that they're SO WHITE I have to clean them so often.

http://www.kswiss.com/men/shoes/best-sel...-03161-182

[Image: img57006489.jpg]

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - WestIndianArchie - 01-25-2015

Chukkas/Desert Boots
[Image: 2811622-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg]

Wallabees

[Image: 456372-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg]

Chelsea boots
[Image: 3068107-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg]

Black Converse
[Image: 1T405_standard.png?sw=450&sh=450&sm=fit]

Boat Shoes, Driving Shoes, Penny Loafers,
Work Boots, Motorcycle boots, Engineer boots, Cowboy Boots, Combat Boots,

Options are endless.

Right now shoes that look distressed (used and crusty) are in.

This generic style - suede upper and brightly colored sole was huge for the past 2 years.

[Image: Chick_Magnet_Loafer_Vol_2-1_915766b5-ec9...1405003625]

[Image: Kind_of_Blue_Buck-1.jpg?v=1381248836]

WIA

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - CactusCat589 - 01-25-2015

The Chelsea boots, Black Converse, the Stan Smith, the bottom right pair of boat shoes all look eye-catching. So do the K-Swiss, but I usually steer clear from stark white shoes like those, seems like there are puddles everywhere in this dang city.

Thanks.

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - ElBorrachoInfamoso - 01-25-2015

Monk strap shoes usually get attention and they can go with either casual or dressy.

[Image: Monk-Strap-Shoes.png]

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Deluge - 01-25-2015

Lol, Finance students don't dress well in my experience, Law students are where the real competition is at. There's a lot of ideas in this thread, some of which are too formal for someone whose only worn sneakers so far. Another thing is throwing so many options at someone new to dressing better will overwhelm you. Don't go out and buy five pairs of shoes tomorrow, start with one and slowly build a collection.

I wrote a guide to Men's style that is targeted right at your demographic. Definitely start with a pair of Desert Boots, they are the perfect first "dressy" shoe for a young guy and can be worn in any almost situation. They were the first dressier pair of shoes I ever bought myself and I'm glad they were my first. I recommend Clarks.

[Image: hBPHyVq.jpg]

After that, checkout the other shoes I wrote about in the datasheet. As well as Suede bucks (like the blue soled shoes in WIA's post) and Eastland Moc-Toe Work Boots.

[Image: 2014_10_24_home%20slideshow_Layer%20Comp%202.jpg]

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - The Reactionary Tree - 01-25-2015

Desert boots are the way to go. Can be worn year round, are casual and comfortable. Just don't wear them with shorts.

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - StrikeBack - 01-25-2015

Start with casual shoes that have minimal "design" (code for low class) and zero logo / brand name, with at most 2 colours.

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - LouEvilSlugger - 01-25-2015

German Army trainers are the only sneakers I wear, you can find them for 45 euros shipped on eBay
[Image: LL]

Red Wing chukkas
[Image: style3141_2_grande.jpg?v=1385055606]

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Parlay44 - 01-25-2015

Don't be scared to wear dress shoes with jeans. Don't cuff the jeans though. Get them hemmed to the right length.

I agree with boots. You need a couple pairs. Buy boots like you'd buy car tires. All season and summer sport tires(dressy style) [Image: lol.gif]

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - WestIndianArchie - 01-25-2015

Spring is coming

[Image: tumblr_niqegud19x1sttfg0o1_1280.jpg]

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - berserk - 01-25-2015

Desert Boots are cool, good suggestions.

There are also hybrid leather sneaker/boots combos which are a good compromise between sneakers and classic boots. Goes well with jeans.

[Image: YSL-Leather-Sneakers-Fall-Winter-2010.jpg]

[Image: 415ATkU%2BDpL._SY395_.jpg]

[Image: 41VpE3nzZdL._SY395_.jpg]

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Easy_C - 01-25-2015

Just get some nice casual loafers. Steve Madden sells a good selection that go well with a variety of styles.

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Drazen - 01-25-2015

I'm a big fan of those German Army Trainers. I recently got the Margela knockoffs of them (at probably 5x the price of them) and its the first time in a while a girl just came up to me and said she liked my shoes.

I'm going to get a pair when I go back to Germany, can't find good sizing for me on ebay.

I wore K-Swiss in College, and I got more props on wearing them versus any of my Nikes or other shoes.

Also checkout Wolverine boots. http://www.wolverine.com/US/en/1000Mile

Pretty expensive, but they'll last you 10+ years and you'll always get compliments on them. If you look hard enough you can probably find them half off.

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - speakeasy - 01-25-2015

These would be dope with black or deep indigo denim...

[Image: d0dc6287cbdf8d41f5bf8862aa2d20ac.jpg]

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Sonsowey - 01-25-2015

A good pair of boots is a great first step if you live somewhere with real winter.

Other than that, dress shoes can be worn by anyone at any age. You will blow away your competition if you rock non-dorky dress shoes and a blazer.

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - RouteBackwards - 01-25-2015

Quote: (01-24-2015 11:26 PM)CactusCat589 Wrote:  

I'm kind of ashamed to say I've basically always worn sneakers, just because that's all I've known. I notice that some of the more stylish guys I see, like those studying finance, are wearing more respectable yet stylish kinds of shoes (while not being formal or business).

What are good alternative casual/semi-casual footwear options to sneakers?

Classic Clarks, and Wallabe's to spice things up.

Keep in mind, not all sneakers are bad. The classic Stan Smith look well suited even in more business casual environments because they're not over the top.

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - General Mayhem - 01-25-2015

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I hate the clarke's desert boot. Every limp-wristed beta boy around here has them. It's funny you mentioned finance. My roommate is in finance and he wears them all the time, but he is the definition of a follower.

Here's my go-to. Redwing boots.
[Image: David-Beckham-Ray-Ban-Sunglasses-Red-Win...rown-1.jpg]

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - Deluge - 01-25-2015

Quote: (01-25-2015 08:29 PM)General Mayhem Wrote:  

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I hate the clarke's desert boot. Every limp-wristed beta boy around here has them. It's funny you mentioned finance. My roommate is in finance and he wears them all the time, but he is the definition of a follower.

Where do you live that Clarks are that common? I live in a fashion forward city and still I don't see many dudes wearing Clarks at all. Most men probably haven't even heard of desert boots let alone wear them.

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - WanderingSoul - 01-25-2015

Funny. In Bangkok every skinny, homo looking Thai guy wears Redwings. They are crazy popular here.

Alternatives to sneakers for young guys - speakeasy - 01-26-2015

Quote: (01-25-2015 08:29 PM)General Mayhem Wrote:  

Here's my go-to. Redwing boots.
[Image: David-Beckham-Ray-Ban-Sunglasses-Red-Win...rown-1.jpg]

This pic is a few years old. You can tell by the bagginess of their pants. I'm so glad fitted jeans/pants are en vogue.